Gran Turismo 7 Review: Return of the King

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 488 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a fair point. I considered knocking a full star off because of the poor AI. The amount of content and customization options are just so overwhelming, though, it felt kind of ridiculous giving it only four stars in a category literally titled "Content and Value for Money".

There aren't many other racing games out there that will give you as much high-quality content for your dollar.
Is it worth looking at having Content and Gameplay as separate categories? It seems like a game could have a lot of Content and provide a lot of value in an "hours of gameplay per dollar" sense, but have that Gameplay be of a lower quality (ie. races against poor AI) and provide more limited value in a "smiles per dollar" sense.

That way you could clearly recognise that GT7 offers a lot of Content at magnificent quality, but that the Gameplay with that content suffers somewhat from deficiencies in systems like the AI and chase-the-rabbit race setup.

Is it worth looking at having Content and Gameplay as separate categories? It seems like a game could have a lot of Content and provide a lot of value in an "hours of gameplay per dollar" sense, but have that Gameplay be of a lower quality (ie. races against poor AI) and provide more limited value in a "smiles per dollar" sense.

That way you could clearly recognise that GT7 offers a lot of Content at magnificent quality, but that the Gameplay with that content suffers somewhat from deficiencies in systems like the AI and chase-the-rabbit race setup.
Would that be fun factor though? I can see AI being separate from content and value for money.

I was hoping the AI picked from the home garage would keep the tunes that we've set for each car, I was imaging tuning each car that was selected to be very close in PP, that way the races could be very close.
Custom AI.png

Yes, I do.

GT2 is still my favorite, though. :D
Oh, regarding this, how about my old comment in early part of this post?

"Regarding the game throwing too many cars, aren't that a case in previous games too? The first events will also give prize cars. GT7's prize cars seem to be like GT2 though, some single events have it but some other single events don't." (an addition: I guess Championships will have prize cars by default)
That's a fair point. I considered knocking a full star off because of the poor AI. The amount of content and customization options are just so overwhelming, though, it felt kind of ridiculous giving it only four stars in a category literally titled "Content and Value for Money".
Regarding AI, though there are obvious poor ones like in the early races, wdyt about @Kean_1's comment here regarding it?

Would that be fun factor though? I can see AI being separate from content and value for money.
If you wanted to label it as fun factor, that wouldn't be a terrible title. Anything to separate the gameplay loop from the content.

I think AI can be grouped with a bunch of other stuff that comes together to make the gameplay loop fun and entertaining. GT7 has a lot of stuff to do outside of racing, but it's still primarily a racing game.

I noticed this in the stream of the Clubman Cup Plus race a few days ago (in the example of the "four chillis" difficulty) - in a field of JDM performance cars, the leading AI car is that same white Beetle. They clearly imply the ability to swap but the fact it appeared as an AI opponent in a career event means to me that it's just a one-off car.
That would mean we got bamboozled by Kaz himself

Thanks for all the comments, guys.

Are any of you still having issues reading the article? Everything looks OK on my end but I made a few tweaks that might have helped.

I can't get to all of the questions but I will try to address a few.

No, I didn't see drag racing anywhere outside of the Missions. The lobby/setup options look the same as GT Sport to my eye.

I found credits fairly easy to come by so far, but I also haven't spent enough time with the game to really study car prices or see how much effort it will take to save for the more expensive cars. I think it's a bit too early for anyone to answer this question yet.

IIRC, no, they just appear in their "stock" form. I recall setting up a custom race with a car I had put custom wheels on and noticed they did not show up on the AI version so I assume it will be the same for liveries.

Frankly, I have never fully understood the controversy around connectivity requirements. To be clear, I have a lot of sympathy for those who do not have access to reliable connections. I have no doubt it is a massive headache and would make the game difficult, if not impossible, to enjoy. While it certainly deserves a mention for anyone reading whom it might be an issue, I don't see it as a major headline and would never consider it something that would affect a game's reviewed score.

Yes, I do.

GT2 is still my favorite, though. :D

There aren't many other racing games out there that will give you as much high-quality content for your dollar.

GTPlanet has had unprecedented years of growth since 2020 and just set an all-time concurrent traffic record a few weeks ago.

Because when it's 5:50am, you haven't slept in two nights, the embargo lifts in ten minutes, you've been working on a 5,600+ word article for five solid days, and you're tired of digging through the eight-plus hours of gameplay footage you recorded just to find a screenshot that would be appropriate for a few paragraphs, you eventually say "
censored-gif.1067806
it, these pictures from the media kit are good enough".

Ah, I forgot to cover the somewhat interesting new camera options in the in-car camera, but no sign of triple screen support, unfortunately.

No, you can only "discard" cars of which you have "duplicates".

Big claim, indeed. I know what I said. :D

About the physics...

I haven't played GT Sport much lately and do not play the game competitively so its entirely possible Steve, Alan, and elite players who get their hands on the game this week will have more informed/nuanced opinions in this department. However, I would challenge anyone who says the physics have changed significantly.

I did play GT Sport and GT7 back-to-back while forming my opinion for this review. Physics have improved, no doubt, but it's a minor adjustment at best.
This week?
Jordan, did you play the GT7 for months now? :)

This review (around 7:20) actually gives the physics quite a bit of praise, which counters this reviews opinion. Curious. Super GT also reckons the physics feel quite different. Worth a watch if you're on the fence.

EDIT: they also mention that the wet weather physics and how they transition from wet to dry impressed them a lot. He also describes aquaplaning through puddles at high speed! Sounds pretty impressive.

Last edited:

This review (around 7:20) actually gives the physics quite a bit of praise, which counters this reviews opinion. Curious. Super GT also reckons the physics feel quite different. Worth a watch if you're on the fence.

EDIT: they also mention that the wet weather physics and how they transition from wet to dry impressed them a lot. He also describes aquaplaning through puddles at high speed. Sounds pretty impressive.

And Super GT has got enough time in GTS to be able to tell if there's any difference or not. Likewise with Alan at TeamVVV, he's one of my favourite sim reviewers and trust if he is going to praise something then there is good reason to.

However I think that the tyre model has changed. I don't think that the change itself is massive, but loss of traction is more pronounced on everything. There's more understeer, more oversteer, and more of both at once (or "none-dersteer", as I occasionally call it). I wasn't really paying attention with the first set of cars because they drive like a dead leg anyway, but when it came to the RWD cars on the licence tests it kind of jumped out at me, and the more I paid attention the more it seemed that it was the tyres specifically.

Maybe - just maybe - Michelin's fabled influence is finally here?
The State of Play stream already looked very indicative of this to me.

Can't wait to try it out tomorrow! :gtpflag:

And Super GT has got enough time in GTS to be able to tell if there's any difference or not. Likewise with Alan at TeamVVV, he's one of my favourite sim reviewers and trust if he is going to praise something then there is good reason to.
I like Alan and Team VVV a lot, but I do find that he gets a bit overexcited with new titles

After seeing the comparisons between the PS4 and PS5 versions, I think I will continue with the plan of playing it on the PS4 instead of buying a PS5, more with the thing that the release of the game on PC with each passing day is more likely.

PD/Sony should have also give a review copy to Z28

He is very fast and plays only GT Sport.

So he can much more tell us the difference and improvements in physics, instead of Broadbent

Last edited:
Regarding @Jordan comments about engine swaps,i suppose its feasable that this may be a feature thats under improvement or tweaking?Also could be its unlocked further in the game.
Engine swaps have been shown in other reviews, VVV review or Black Pantha, no disrespect to Jordan but he is human as we all are and you miss things

EDIT: they also mention that the wet weather physics and how they transition from wet to dry impressed them a lot. He also describes aquaplaning through puddles at high speed! Sounds pretty impressive.

The only remaining fault in the weather system in GT for now is the rain effects on the car like its windshield (or the raindrops).

After reviewing graphic-comparison-videos i agree to the other guys here - PS4 pro is the way to go, no need of a expensive PS5 at the moment.

And the exaggerated atomic-sun-glow on the cars is worse on PS5, than on PS4

Also raytracing seems to look worse than performance, most of the time

RIP to all PS5 buyers 💩

Last edited:
After reviewing graphic-comparison-videos i agree to the other guys here - PS4 pro is the way to go, no need of a expensive PS5 at the moment.

RIP to all PS5 buyers 💩
Ehh Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but yes the PS4 Pro is the sweet spot in the middle. Also, it's still impossible to get a ps5 so I'm glad everyone will have the opportunity to play this game. I enjoyed the Ray tracing gameplay and replays I've seen so far. Pictures are going to come out real nice.

RIP to all PS5 buyers 💩

Take a look to this review... And then discuss again RT, HDR , resolution, (PS4 1080p, PS4pro 1800p, PS5 4K) loading times...

I think PD really did a good job in illumination, HDR, RT , car models and the new coming back tracks technically.

RIP to all PS5 buyers 💩
PS4 Pro never was the way to go, it was barely an upgrade over the original PS4. But I agree that the PS5 version barely is an upgrade over the PS4 version. It's pretty funny that my 9 year old console can play a next-gen game with only worse loading times and lighting (in some conditions). But it's also sad for people who bought a PS5 specifically for this game, I guess.

What’s even worse than the bad AI in my opinion, is the unrealistic starting procedure. Single file rolling starts with god knows how many car lengths between each car is just… horrendous.

But I agree that the PS5 version barely is an upgrade over the PS4 version. It's pretty funny that my 9 year old console can play a next-gen game with only worse loading times and lighting (in some conditions).
4K doesn't count?

That alone makes a huge difference as seen in the side-by-side comparison clips out there.

HDR too if your TV supports it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back