Gran Turismo 7 Rumored as PlayStation 5 Launch Title

If PS5 does have bc witch I think it will, I think PS3 games will be compatible but will be like what MS has done were PS3 games are gradually updated to play on PS5.

If PS5 does have bc witch I think it will, I think PS3 games will be compatible but will be like what MS has done were PS3 games are gradually updated to play on PS5.
I hope that is the case, although the rumors suggest that the new console is unlikely to play old PS3 games through BC.

PS5 will be only play compatible to games from PS4.

I really don’t think we will see GT7. Yamauchi is a perfectionist, and their focus is still on GT Sport, it would be too short term. If a fresh new GT game would be coming, GT Sport would have been abandoned by PD. The only thing I could see happening is Polyphony doing a ‘Overwatch 2’. Basicly just an expansion, but cross gen, with enough new features and updated graphics to be calling it a new game. That game could be named ‘GT7’, with GT Sport built in. They could increase the draw distance, add more activity next to the track, update light and shadows, stuff like that. It doesn’t need a massive graphical overhaul.

What an expansion needs is a a chunk of new cars, more original GT tracks/new real world tracks and perhaps a new championship license. Something like Formula E, V8 Supercars, Indycar, NASCAR or DTM. Or as an homage to one of the greatest of all-time, a Michael Schumacher license.

I hope that is the case, although the rumors suggest that the new console is unlikely to play old PS3 games through BC.
There is no way that PS3 games will run on the PS5. No console IN HISTORY has been able to work with a game from 2 generations ago.

I think I downloaded Tomb Raider & Tomb Raider 2, for PS3. Been a while. Also, isn't Crash Bandicoot available to play on PS4? I have GTA San Andreas on my XB1.

There is no way that PS3 games will run on the PS5. No console IN HISTORY has been able to work with a game from 2 generations ago.

It is possible to run ps2/ps1 via emulation, ps3 in the other hand will be very hard cause of the multi process estructure of the ps3 cell processor, it´s almost like sega saturn that was an alien way of doing things. don´t raise expectations that high, ps4 games will be suported previous generations like ps1 and 2 are kind easy if they make a emulator software but ps3 it´s a very diferent story.

About GT7 i don´t agree that gt7 it´s a all diferent game, i bet they use the same base and game engine but with a lot of improvements in visuals, IA and physics and off course the singleplayer aspect that can be edit whithout having to make a all diferent game. If people believe in that we only will see the next GT in 5 years or so.

PS3 can play most PS1 games, and Xbox One can play (some) original Xbox games.

However, I agree that it's unlikely that PS5 will play PS3 games, because the Cell architecture is extremely demanding to emulate.

PS3 can play most PS1 games, and Xbox One can play (some) original Xbox games.

However, I agree that it's unlikely that PS5 will play PS3 games, because the Cell architecture is extremely demanding to emulate.
The original PS3 was able to emulate PS2 games too, albeit in an imperfect manner since there were some issues.

The original PS3 was able to emulate PS2 games too, albeit in an imperfect manner since there were some issues.

The original PS3, as in the first iterations of it was able to play PS1 and PS2 games. It had a PS2 build inside of it. Not emulation.

It is kinda silly to assume that PD has been sitting on their hands since GT Sport came out and only working on GT Sport updates. They have been working on GT7 or whatever it will be called since GT Sport came out and because the architecture of the PS5 is closer to the previous model than any other PlayStation released, there is more chance of GT7 being a release game than before.

Last edited:
The original PS3, as in the first iterations of it was able to play PS1 and PS2 games. It had a PS2 build inside of it. Not emulation.

It is kinda silly to assume that PD has been sitting on their hands since GT Sport came out and only working on GT Sport updates. They have been working on GT7 or whatever it will be called since GT Sport came out and because the architecture of the PS5 is closer to the previous model than any other PlayStation released, there is more chance of GT7 being a release game than before.
Oh good to know. But, regardless it still had some issues.

Would the PS5 be similar somehow though obviously more advanced?

Not entirely true, the PAL 60GB PS3 only had the Graphics Synthesizer chip, and not the Emotion Engine. Meaning the PAL PS3 had to emulate ánd had hardware support.

The PS5 is basicly just a PS4 Pro 2, same architecture, much faster hardware. Most will be gained from the CPU, allowing more objects to render.

There have been quite a few, some using hardware-based and others using software-based emulation.
  • 60GB PS3
  • GameBoy Advance
  • PS4
  • Xbox One
  • Nintendo 3DS
  • PS Vita

He's probably talking about original media. There are only three examples that can do that (playing 2 generations old discs/cartridges). Thats the Gameboy Advance (SP), playing GBA, GBC and GB cartridges, The 60GB PS3, playing PS2 and PS1 discs and the XBOX One (S/X), playing 360 and XBOX discs.

Last edited:
It seems unlikely. PS3 alone will be a nightmare, because games were written to run different processes through different cores of the Cell processor.
Nothing stopping them reducing the PS3 to a chip. They did it with PS1 and PS2.

Nothing stopping them reducing the PS3 to a chip. They did it with PS1 and PS2.

Well, there might be a slight issue there, IBM is not producing Cell chips. Their latest chip was a 45nm process chip, today that’s ancient technology. It’s way too expensive (too big) for the performance and power consumption. IBM ditched Cell in 2009, if they would be producing Cell on 14/12/10/7nm process, we would have known by now.

With Cernys legacy software patten I think it’s only a matter of time before PS3 is BC on PS5, maybe it won’t have it at launch but Sony are working hard on it to be a big feature for PS5.

But then again, "no console IN HISTORY has been able to work with a game from 2 generations ago".

If they have really found a way to allow backwards compatibility to play the PS3 games, I'd be happy because I'd be able to play GT titles from the previous generation.

Well, there might be a slight issue there, IBM is not producing Cell chips. Their latest chip was a 45nm process chip, today that’s ancient technology. It’s way too expensive (too big) for the performance and power consumption. IBM ditched Cell in 2009, if they would be producing Cell on 14/12/10/7nm process, we would have known by now.
They could always license development to AMD to take advantage of the 7nm process.

There have been quite a few, some using hardware-based and others using software-based emulation.
  • 60GB PS3
  • GameBoy Advance
  • PS4
  • Xbox One
  • Nintendo 3DS
  • PS Vita
I was talking about hardware, not emulations on software. You can't stick a PS2 disk in a PS4 and expect it to work. You can't put original Xbox games into an Xbox One. I know you can play original DS games on the 3DS, but the DS was only one generation prior, not two. The Gameboy Advanced could run games from the Gameboy Colour (again, one generation prior), and the PS Vita could run PSP games. I don't think the original PS3 could run PS1 games, so my point is valid.

I would actually like to see that. Not an emulation but an actual PS1 disk being played on a PS3.
That's... exactly how it works. You get the PS1 disc, put it in the PS3 console, and play.

All PS3s can play all* PS1 games. Early Japanese-market 20/80GB PS3s, early EU-market 60GB PS3s, and early US-market 80GB PS3s can also play PS2 games - although it's a hardware solution in the first generation (Japan) models and software in second generation consoles. After that it was removed.

PS3s also feature a virtual memory card function, by which you can create PS1 and PS2 format memory cards within the console's HDD, in order to play and save your PS1/2 games. You can copy files to and from physical memory cards with a now exceptionally rare adapter.

*Of the appropriate region - even though PS3 games aren't region-locked, the PS1 games still are. There's probably also some exceptions, as there always are, which won't work.

That's... exactly how it works. You get the PS1 disc, put it in the PS3 console, and play.

All PS3s can play all* PS1 games. Early Japanese-market 20/80GB PS3s, early EU-market 60GB PS3s, and early US-market 80GB PS3s can also play PS2 games - although it's a hardware solution in the first generation (Japan) models and software in second generation consoles. After that it was removed.

PS3s also feature a virtual memory card function, by which you can create PS1 and PS2 format memory cards within the console's HDD, in order to play and save your PS1/2 games. You can copy files to and from physical memory cards with a now exceptionally rare adapter.

*Of the appropriate region - even though PS3 games aren't region-locked, the PS1 games still are. There's probably also some exceptions, as there always are, which won't work.

Well I knew that the old PS3 could run PS2 games but I didn't know it could run PS1 games...

I was talking about hardware, not emulations on software. You can't stick a PS2 disk in a PS4 and expect it to work. You can't put original Xbox games into an Xbox One. I know you can play original DS games on the 3DS, but the DS was only one generation prior, not two. The Gameboy Advanced could run games from the Gameboy Colour (again, one generation prior), and the PS Vita could run PSP games. I don't think the original PS3 could run PS1 games, so my point is valid.

You’re wrong.

* PS3 60GB (PAL), 20GB/60GB/80GB (NTSC) plays most PS2 and PS1 discs.
* PS3 all later versions, including Slim and Super Slim play most PS1 discs.
* GBA (SP) plays all Gameboy Color and all original GameBoy cartridges.
* Xbox One (S/X) plays a lot of Xbox 360 discs and a small selection of Xbox discs, this list is still growing.

All of these consoles could run original media of a console that was two generations older.

They could always license development to AMD to take advantage of the 7nm process.

It really doesn’t work like that. You would need to build new machine that are able to create CELL. But if they manage to recreate CELL, it would be stupid expensive. Besides the ‘just for BC’ machines, producing a chip is very time consuming, and CELL was notorious for its low yields. It would be a gigantic investment for a feature most people will not use. CELL would be multiple times more expensive than Zen2. And let’s not forget IBM holds the patents.

Recreating CELL would only work if there are many other buyers. And that is very unlikely ever to happen. Because of it’s price and because of compatibility issues. The market has chosen x86 and ARM. Compatibility between these two is relative easy, while CELL would be a chronic headache.

It's worth noting that PS3 emulation can be done on the software side. There's a good amount of games fully playable on the main PS3 emulator on PC, and that's without any backing from Sony. With official support, I'm sure it could be pulled off for the PS5.

Whether it's viable to implement full PS3 backwards compatibility is another thing altogether - it's probably more feasible to port (or "remaster") the best-selling PS3 games to PS5, as opposed to getting as many games as possible working.

You can't put original Xbox games into an Xbox One.
You can, but only a relatively small number. I don't think I can deep link it, so you have to scroll down for the list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backward_compatible_games_for_Xbox_One#Xbox
I haven't played any of them, but for Xbox 360 games, they work by putting the disc in, though it does download the game after that. But for Forza Horizon, for example, they said that it didn't require any code changes to work on Xbox One, so it isn't downloading a ported version of the game, it's running the original code. And they've said the next Xbox will play all original Xbox games and Xbox 360 games that you can play on the Xbox One, so it will go back 3 generations.

You’re wrong.

* PS3 60GB (PAL), 20GB/60GB/80GB (NTSC) plays most PS2 and PS1 discs.
* PS3 all later versions, including Slim and Super Slim play most PS1 discs.
* GBA (SP) plays all Gameboy Color and all original GameBoy cartridges.
* Xbox One (S/X) plays a lot of Xbox 360 discs and a small selection of Xbox discs, this list is still growing.

All of these consoles could run original media of a console that was two generations older.
Shows how grossly uninformed I am.

Latest Posts

Back