Gran Turismo 7 Spec II Revealed: Upgraded GT Sophy AI, New Snow Track, New Cars, and More

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,039 comments
I have so far stayed out of this discussion, but I would like to ask a question.
Why is it so very important to you to keep repeating your point when several people indicate they find it tiresome to hear the same criticism of PD over and over again?
Didn't know since when people become tired for said criticism over PD (didn't follow the forum's change of pace), after it was a commonplace in GT7's release.

Didn't know since when people become tired for said criticism over PD (didn't follow the forum's change of pace), after it was a commonplace in GT7's release.
It was around the beginning of this year.

Some stopped playing and discussing the flaws because they are tired of PD's not fixing some stuff and there are others like me who are tired and just accepted that this is PD's way and that keep complaining won't change anything. Hell before Spec II update, I only played the game once in a while each month if there's a new update.
I thought since I already paid for the game, might as well try to fully make it worth until I don't bother with it. I don't take this game seriously anymore and somehow that makes it enjoyable a bit.

Yes this was happening to me with the new 911 at the ring. Not only under braking but when going flat out on the long straight. Its like the wheel would go light or lose its centre and the car would veer to the left or right with no way to save it really. It was fine last night for a few laps but today it was buggy as. At first I thought it could be a fault with my wheel but I tried it with the gr3 911 rsr and there was no problem. Hope it gets fixed as the new 911 is a blast to drive round the ring.

It's not only specific to this car. The entire physics engine is bugged. Go to the physics thread and read my latest post.

The physics would intermittently bug out and cause cars to handle like absolute crap!

For me this my first oppertunity to race against Sophy, and i must say i'm surprised, in a good way!, i already had some real good battles with it!
When you have the right setup, ( like not beeing on softs while the field is on mediums ) it's actualy kind of clever, never had close the door for an AI to prevent a move, but the looking left and right to find a gap realy surprised me, for the first itme i have to mirror, watch my radar and look back now and then where it is, ( i'm not a daily races fan so only do time trials online )
so from my perspective a real plus on this update!

I cleared the game 100% again ( except for the musicrally ) and must say that the other races and licence in the update were a lot of fun too!,
This morning i had a blast with the Nations cup Redbulls, no room for error in those 14 laps, love that!
and closed the session with the GR.3 at Bathurst, 10 laps pushing tarting in the dark, beautiful!

I want more :), but for now, back to the timetrials and i think off to some custom races after that!

Also i did notice some green changes to Dragontail, we now have tree's on the first chicane?? :lol: or am i going nuts and were they always there?
And i also did headbut the Helicopter at i think lap 7 of the Nations Redbull, it came out of Nowhere, caught me off guard big time, it was extremely low, almost messed up the CoD due to it :lol::lol:
That helicopter on Dragontrail chicanes is flying waaay to low I noticed that too. I don't know if it's been like that before though

The PS4 PRO still uses a very crappy CPU, the upgrade was purely aimed at the gpu part of the apu.

I don't think it can be overstated just how weak the cpu is in the PS4. Expecting PD to waste time on trying to get Sophy running on old weak hardware that's already gimping the game is a pipe dream.
Actually, I had forgotten an important fact: the first iterations of GT Sophy was developed and ran on PS4 & GT Sport.

So yes, it is entirely possible for at least 4 Sophy AI to run on PS4 and GT Sport.

Now the question is whether the PS4 version of GT7 is more demanding than GT Sport to run, hence there is no more computing power left to run Sophy. But I'm willing to bet with a few tweaking they can. PD just doesn't want to spend the time and wants people to move to PS5.

Training Sophy is computationally intensive. But I think people are vastly overestimating the processing power required to run the "final" code in the game.

Last edited:
And, you want it to work in GT7 where the PS4 is already on the limit just handling that game.
That's why optimisation exists. GT7 tracks on PS4 have less detail than their PS5 counterparts for example. I'd gladly take a few hits in fidelity here and there just to run 1 Sophy.

My point is, from where I'm sitting, I'm having trouble believing PS4 cannot run at least 1 Sophy AI. If you believe it's not worth PD's time and effort to make it work, fine. But I do not believe it's a 100% technical impossibility.

Anyway, as I've said before from what I've seen it's still not a perfect implementation. It is what it is and I'll sample it whenever GT8 releases.

I think the PS4 edition is as optimized as can be, so it would be a question of nerfing other stuff.
Anything is technical possible, the question is if it's worth creating a special mode for a dead console for a very small audience vs creating content that will be used by a vastly higher number of players.
Games are rarely as optomised as they can be, there is nearly always more optimisation that can be done. The real question, is how much headroom does the PS4 have as is, and how much time and effort will further optimisation take and for what gains.

My PS4 is not struggling with GT7 in most instances, it seems to handle a full grid in the rain perfectly fine. I suspect the difference between GT7 and GT Sport in terms of computational requirements, is small.

Last edited:
The goal of Sophy is to have 20 car grids... They already achieved this on PS5. Will PS4 handle that? I doubt they would like to make different nerfed to 4 cars or something grid Sophy just for PS4 which is very old console now.

There is always room for optimization, at some point, like 10 years into the lifetime of a console you usually tend to reach the limits of what is possible and the gains will be small. And it does struggle, there are plenty of examples of slowdowns, not that it's a problem in itself, it just shows how close to the limit they already are.
Slowdowns are not by themselves an indicator that the game is fully optomisied and maximising the computing power, they can often suggest the latter, that the game is not optomised well enough and therefore bottlenecking the CPU or GPU depsite there being plenty more potential headroom availalbe if the optomisation was better. Slowdowns in GT7 aren't that noticeable on a standard PS4 for me, ventialtion can play a big part in variance on that as can a variety of other factors.

Personally, I don't see anything that suggests GT7 is notably more intensive on the PS4's CPU than GT Sport was. That doesn't mean it isn't, but to date, I've not observed anything that suggests it is.

Having a look through the Missions. In Magic Mountain, “The Pass” have players use the Crown to weave through Tokyo Expwy traffic, before the finish. Much different than using the “Slipstream” in Beyond the Horizon and Tokyo Before Dawn in Rolling Stone.
Would be a cool new mission challenge versus SOPHY

I'm happy with the 190 E, but Lord, have us mercy! Just wish this bad boy was the one...
And it'll be here.

It's not only specific to this car. The entire physics engine is bugged. Go to the physics thread and read my latest post.

The physics would intermittently bug out and cause cars to handle like absolute crap!
The physics engine is fine. It's the tyre model that needs work. Unless you're playing on the ancient Ps4 then, your complaint isn't really taken seriously and it may just be your dying console

I wish this would be possible with Sophy in GT7 (if it is, and I've just not come across it yet, please correct me!!):
  • Some control over the grid / car setup up for a Sophy single player race (i.e. parameters as to what the opponents cars will be - like single-model, year-range, no VGTs, etc)
  • Mixed Multiplayer races (i.e. in multiplayer mode, have a handful of friends, join and fill the rest of the defined grid with sophy opponents [with choose-able cars / grid setup...])

Sophy is great, and I loved the challenging Sophy 1.0 races.
In 2.0 it all became much more diverse, in terms of the grid setup / opponenent cars, which can be good... but at the same time it lost what made it so special for me (i.e. a better AI model, showing its' capabilities, and how challenging it can be by narrowing the grid in v1 to single model races to same model in different tuning stages...), and the sophy races in GT7 with Sophy 2.0, it now all feels more like the usual "catch the rabbit: single player races.... which is a lot of wasted potential to me...

Last edited:
The physics engine is fine. It's the tyre model that needs work. Unless you're playing on the ancient Ps4 then, your complaint isn't really taken seriously and it may just be your dying console
It runs fine on my ps4 pro, except for the very occasional crash. I've never experienced any weirdness with the physics 'bugging out'.

Back