Gran Turismo 7 track path editor

How do you feel about bringing back the track path editor for GT7?

• Definitely needs to come back!

Votes: 138 82.6%
  • Meh

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • I don't like things that are fun

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
United States
United States
TideDemon
One of the most fun parts of GT6 was the track path editor (which people eventually hacked to make it waaaay better than the tools given)

Towards the end of it's life cycle we were seeing accurate recreations of iconic mountain passes from Initial D as well as brand new courses that added an infinite replay-ability and freshness that really felt fun to drive. It was it's own community within a community with everyone working together to refine tracks, it was truly amazing to be a part of. As someone who got into driving through Initial D it was like a dream to be able to race down challenging mountain passes with friends inside of a GT game. All of this was lost with the game needing online connectivity to access the tracks and the gt6 servers going offline.

I'm curious how many people want the track path editor to come back? the game seems to be bringing features from the previous game so there's a good chance we could see a track path editor. I'm considering creating a petition or some sort of message to PD to advocate for an improved track path editor for GT7 and just wondering if others miss it as much as I do.

If comes back I'd like to have an option to have a grid with the cars on the same line in order to create a properly drag strip and tools to set the distance to the markers (t1-t2 etc) and the finish line .

IR

What's with the "I don't like things that are fun" option?

I don't care about track editor, I never used it and never will. I'd be 100% against it if it takes away PD's time and resources, that could be used for way more important things.

It was a great feature for GT6! I’m betting we will get one in GT7... I have a good feeling we are going to get a lot of goodies in GT7!

That's a must, I really want to see it back to Gran Turismo.

I also think it would be extremely relevent that we could share the designed tracks the same way we shared liveries and adding them into a collection,

and to be able to play the tracks added in the collection online in the lobby section.

What's with the "I don't like things that are fun" option?

I don't care about track editor, I never used it and never will. I'd be 100% against it if it takes away PD's time and resources, that could be used for way more important things.

I added that just for fun lol. Just cause it adds so much to the game that I can't imagine anyone not wanting it even if they don't use it personally.

Guess I was wrong :lol:

I'm definitely for it, and for any improvements they can make. More scenery control and variety of locations would be welcome. I would like full control over the width, elevation and camber of each section of track and the scenery ideally.

Towards the end of it's life cycle we were seeing accurate recreations of iconic mountain passes from Initial D as well as brand new courses that added an infinite replay-ability and freshness that really felt fun to drive. It was it's own community within a community with everyone working together to refine tracks, it was truly amazing to be a part of. As someone who got into driving through Initial D it was like a dream to be able to race down challenging mountain passes with friends inside of a GT game. All of this was lost with the game needing online connectivity to access the tracks and the gt6 servers going offline.

You are correct. I myself used to run Project D seasons with points, and ranking. Nothing but Touge. I watched people who couldnt get through a hairpin to save their life transform into top 3 Touge drivers within a few months of serious effort with the team. No stupid race track comes close to a point to point uphill, downhill (both ! man i miss those touges) that can last 2 miles or 10 miles. Even the shorter touges were so alive because they were public street roads. The banking, the bumps, everything felt alive more so than anything ive ever raced since. I considered it a major insult and a major infraction to my own person effort spent in the game. Losing my touges like that forever.....it was cruel. CRUEL what you DID!. Does it need to come back?? As far as im concerned, your future depends on it. Forza Horizon is eating you alive because they get to drive the streets and you want to drive the same race track over and over for 50 freaking years. Mountain roads have a way of making you feel as if your dancing with the road and it likes to sweep you out, push you out, guide you in and out because of banking and road crown. Human beings design mountain roads to be different than normal ones. They have to be perfectly graded and calculated and its always one sharp human mind that designs these roads. These roads become flowing works of art that use gravity and the natural landscape to sculpt roads like strokes of a paint brush around and down the canvas. They feel alive when you drive them. You feel more like you are part of the road than you do racing a track designed by some gear head.

And you can always tell what type of racer people are and how they think about speed and racing when you ask them about favorite tracks. Or if someone has something against track editors. It took them years of racing the same track through 5 different games to get good enough to compete and now the idea that they may have to master 122 corners in 4 miles just is overwhelming. Some idiot said it was a waste of time and resources. lol It was created at home by normal people. The servers were the only thing they ever had to keep online. We dont care about even racing each other as much as we do racing the touge itself. If you had let us time attack it at home by ourselves Id not be on GT sport until you got track editors for Sport. Now GT7 is out and you think we are gonna get our Touges???? Not unless we do it. They wont spend resources on anything truly great like a Touge racing league.

Last edited:
One of the most fun parts of GT6 was the track path editor (which people eventually hacked to make it waaaay better than the tools given)

I'm curious how many people want the track path editor to come back? the game seems to be bringing features from the previous game so there's a good chance we could see a track path editor. I'm considering creating a petition or some sort of message to PD to advocate for an improved track path editor for GT7 and just wondering if others miss it as much as I do.
Excellent idea….Did you get a petition started. I have a large following in the VTP Dirty Racers that are enquiring.
If you do send the link please ..

There would hundreds of online players at any given time on the CREATED Tracks…the chat rooms were filled with laughs not ATTITUDE..

I have faith in Polyphony that they recognize how important this aspect of the game was to thousands of dedicated Turismo members..
As in the definition of their name:
Since poly- means "many", polyphonic music has "many voices..

Last edited:
100% it needs to comeback and it needs to be fully operational offline with import / export via USB.

The way they introduced it in GT6 then took it away from the user with the server closure was disgusting.
It was a questionable decision indeed.

The problem with the GT6 TPE was that it was a good idea done badly. Same with the GT5 Track Creator. When/if they get this done right it's going to be enormously popular.

I gleefully await Polyphony making a creation tool that is fully featured, easy to use, and creates assets that don't look like they belong on last generation hardware. Oh, and runs on the same console that you purchased the game on, but one might think that should go without saying.

Polyphony - breaking ground by asking "do you guys not have phones?" years before Blizzard.

Do you have a source for that? I'd love to see it.
Ive seen this too, I'll have a look for it later and post a link if I can find it. They've done a lot on procedural generation, environments, cars, cities. How much (if any) will make it's way into GT7 is anyone's guess, but if I can find it when I'm home I'll post a link. You might find it sooner on the Google though.

Ive seen this too, I'll have a look for it later and post a link if I can find it. They've done a lot on procedural generation, environments, cars, cities. How much (if any) will make it's way into GT7 is anyone's guess, but if I can find it when I'm home I'll post a link. You might find it sooner on the Google though.
What about the supposed statement from PD that they wanted to add a course editor to GTS?

What about the supposed statement from PD that they wanted to add a course editor to GTS?
I can't recall that one I'm afraid, knowing PD they may have intended to at one point but ended up unable to.

Last edited:
I can't recall that one I'm afraid, knowing PD they may have intended to at one point but ended up unable to.
Indeed, game development is a very volatile thing where features and content can easily get added or scrapped at seemingly any point. It's partially why I think a lot of criticism towards various developers like GameFreak are unwarranted - though as a fan of both Gran Turismo and Pokemon, I won't defend everything their respective developers add or omit. Of course, it doesn't help that game development is so secretive, leading to fans to work off of very limited information.

Last edited:
For anyone interested here are the GTPlanet articles on PD's procedural generation studies:

This stuff has bags of potential, but we just don't know PD's intention and long term plan for this technology. It may or may not connect with Gran Turismo 7 in some way.

We don't need a simple track path editor, but instead a whole full real track editor! The one from GT6 was "ok" but a lot of things wasn't possible to change, correct degree of turns, change the gradient, define rise and decline of the track, width of the track, some background sceneries (Wood, plain lawn field Desert, Coast, Snow in a city, ec.)

I hope that in the late lifetime of GT7, such a track editor will occour.

We don't need a simple track path editor, but instead a whole full real track editor! The one from GT6 was "ok" but a lot of things wasn't possible to change, correct degree of turns, change the gradient, define rise and decline of the track, width of the track, some background sceneries (Wood, plain lawn field Desert, Coast, Snow in a city, ec.)

I hope that in the late lifetime of GT7, such a track editor will occour.
Non-sim racer, ModNation racers were the Sony product that had track editor that is elaborate.

Considering absolutely nothing has been mentioned by PD about this subject, I’d seriously be happy to get the track generator from GT5.

Considering absolutely nothing has been mentioned by PD about this subject, I’d seriously be happy to get the track generator from GT5.
An updated version of I could get on board with. It sucks not to have full control over creation, but there are advantages to having it be semi-randomised as well. But I think it's easy to forget just how bad the GT5 version was.

It took a long time to find a track that didn't have bumps and hills in places that were awful, that didn't have bits where you could see the track popping in ahead of you, and that ran reasonably smoothly. The idea was a decent one, but I'd want it to get some serious work before they put it anywhere near a Gran Turismo game again.

Realistically, they should just steal the ModNation Racers tech and be done with it like @o000o suggested. Although the track creator in the new Hot Wheels game looks alright, and could probably be adapted to a Gran Turismo style without too much hassle. If Milestone can do it, Polyphony can.

Back