Gran Turismo 7's Force Feedback Hobbled to Prevent Player Injuries

• Thread starter Famine
  • 314 comments
Just found out that the new Fanatec dd+ extreme is capped at 83% or 12.45nm torque. That's still a great amount of torque, just wish they would remove the cap and let the players use the full 15nm torque like it's advertised as having.... Especially since PD collaborated with Fanatec on this.
Interesting!

It’s definitely less than it used to be with the feeling of tire directionality, and a little bit of the inside-middle-outside edge of the tire under load sensations taking the biggest hit. Which is still kind of a bummer. Bumping in game torque ffb from 5 to 6, helped a bit, but im definitely in the hoping full force brings a bit of tire/grip/load feelings back. That first week was incredible. Never have i felt that close to being one with a car..except in actual cars..ugh!

Anyway! Appreciate the insight. Its fascinating how dramatic a few newtons can be. To that end, @PirovacBoy noticed that the dynamic range appeared to have been reworked a bit and my question to you is, do you have any ideas as to whether this had an affect on clipping rates? I’ve been content with the in game settings of 6/7, and haven’t experienced the dreaded clips. But im wondering how far its possible to go and still receive a full and clean signal.

I’d love to hear the logic behind the wheel nerf. At no point during that first week did the wheel have enough power to rip from my hands. Let alone, hurt me. We know what we bought, let us use it.

The different wheels must have been nerfed differently, I have an F1 Podium, I use it on the low torque setting and only use 40-60% of available force torque, anymore and the wheel gets unrealistically heavy. I don't want a wheel that can easily be ripped from your hands while racing.

The different wheels must have been nerfed differently, I have an F1 Podium, I use it on the low torque setting and only use 40-60% of available force torque, anymore and the wheel gets unrealistically heavy. I don't want a wheel that can easily be ripped from your hands while racing.
It's the actual reference data that is initiated by GT7 and then sent to the wheel base, I don't believe different wheels can change the cap but I can ask about it

Which is still kind of a bummer. Bumping in game torque ffb from 5 to 6, helped a bit, but im definitely in the hoping full force brings a bit of tire/grip/load feelings back. That first week was incredible.
It's like they go out of their way to make the wheeled experience worse. I'm starting to wonder if it's intentional, to level the playing field between controllers and wheels.

Outside of PD being incompetent, I can't think of another reason to continually neuter FFB in the game. Like you said, the feeling was there, so clearly they can develop this aspect of the game at a higher level than we've experienced. Why get rid of it?

And thats the thing. We all can turn our wheels down. But you have to spend thousands to turn them up. And then pd comes in acting like someone’s mommy and goes nah..you take this. Thing is..i just want it to be realistic. Its why i upgraded to the extreme. Realistic is fun.

And thats the thing. We all can turn our wheels down. But you have to spend thousands to turn them up. And then pd comes in acting like someone’s mommy and goes nah..you take this. Thing is..i just want it to be realistic. Its why i upgraded to the extreme. Realistic is fun.
That's what really baffles me about the GT series and PD. They associate themselves with accessories that provide a high-end experience but neuter the experience and/or not support it fully.

I used to push back against the sim-cade narrative and prolly still would (to an extent). But this situation (among others) further shows me why people believe it.

That's what really baffles me about the GT series and PD. They associate themselves with accessories that provide a high-end experience but neuter the experience and/or not support it fully.

I used to push back against the sim-cade narrative and prolly still would (to an extent). But this situation (among others) further shows me why people believe it.
12nm torque is still quite nice but yeah I totally understand what you are saying. PD put a cap of 70% on the Logitech G Pro which makes the max torque about 7.8nm. I bought that wheel because i wanted to have at least 10nm torque. I use a drivehub to get it back to the full 11nm and that lets me feel what I paid for... The difference between 7nm torque and 11nm is huge, playing at 7nm makes the wheel feel like a toy.

I don't know how much truth there is to this, but from what I've heard... There is a big difference between 7nm and 11nm but not that big of a difference going from 12nm to 15nm.

Interesting!

It’s definitely less than it used to be with the feeling of tire directionality, and a little bit of the inside-middle-outside edge of the tire under load sensations taking the biggest hit. Which is still kind of a bummer. Bumping in game torque ffb from 5 to 6, helped a bit, but im definitely in the hoping full force brings a bit of tire/grip/load feelings back. That first week was incredible. Never have i felt that close to being one with a car..except in actual cars..ugh!

Anyway! Appreciate the insight. Its fascinating how dramatic a few newtons can be. To that end, @PirovacBoy noticed that the dynamic range appeared to have been reworked a bit and my question to you is, do you have any ideas as to whether this had an affect on clipping rates? I’ve been content with the in game settings of 6/7, and haven’t experienced the dreaded clips. But im wondering how far its possible to go and still receive a full and clean signal.

I’d love to hear the logic behind the wheel nerf. At no point during that first week did the wheel have enough power to rip from my hands. Let alone, hurt me. We know what we bought, let us use it.
You DEFINITELY should not be worried about clipping.
FFB Clipping happens when a FFB signal demands more Force than the Hardware phisically can produce.
The DD+ is phisically able to whitstand 15NM of constant Force with peaks over 20NM.
Lets assume that you put your in game torque slider to 10 which would than in that case IF ( which is not OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED) GT7 would put out a max of 83% or in other words 12.45NM, so you are still way below the hardware possibilities of the DD+ Torque level.

So it's logically not possible to clip.

You still would have more than enough reserve.
Hence clipping is not possible.
A software sided Torque cap CAN'T induce Clipping as long as the incoming Signal doesn't demand more than the hardware components can produce.

It's the same as putting a lock or hp cap to a car or Motorcycle engine, which is a common thing in many countries below a certain age or driving experience.
The Government won't allow you to use the full potential of your vehicle.
Which in conclusion means you are phisically not able to run the engine at or above it's possibilities.

So in conclusion, relax 😅
And enjoy the ride no matter if it's 8 or 12 or 15 or whatever NM it might be.

Anyone else observed a glitch where, upon restarting in an event where the FFB will randomly be much higher than it should be? Maybe around +30% if I had to put a number on it.

I did hundreds of retries around the Fuji TT so noticed it occasionally being quite clearly harder to turn vs my other attempts, this is different from the other glitch where the degrees of rotation dont match until you pause and unpause.

Both bugs made the experience more frustrating than it needed to be, it requires muscle memory but the wheel properties changing each time did not help matters.

Last edited:
Anyone else observed a glitch upon restarting in an event where the FFB will randomly be much higher than it should be? Maybe around +30% if I had to put a number on it.

I did hundreds of retries around the Fuji TT so noticed it occasionally being quite clearly harder to turn vs my other attempts, this is different from the other glitch where the degrees of rotation dont match until you pause and unpause.

Both bugs made the experience more frustrating than it needed to be, it requires muscle memory but the wheel properties changing each time did not help matters.
Known issue since the beginning of GT7.
Happened on my GT DD PRO as well as occasionally but way less with my DD+ too.
Most probably an internal error with scaling the Dynamic FFB Code GT7 uses.
Just click Pause and it gets applied correctly.

12nm torque is still quite nice but yeah I totally understand what you are saying. PD put a cap of 70% on the Logitech G Pro which makes the max torque about 7.8nm. I bought that wheel because i wanted to have at least 10nm torque. I use a drivehub to get it back to the full 11nm and that lets me feel what I paid for... The difference between 7nm torque and 11nm is huge, playing at 7nm makes the wheel feel like a toy.

I don't know how much truth there is to this, but from what I've heard... There is a big difference between 7nm and 11nm but not that big of a difference going from 12nm to 15nm.
Are we sure its only -18%? Ive been ratcheting up the ffb in game up to 9 now as the ffb feels so relatively weak comparatively. I actually clipped a curb irl yesterday, then did it in game and it felt so…toyish i barely noticed.

For the record im 48 and out of shape. If this things too strong..i just cant even..

GT7 wont even give you a basic FOV adjustment in the cockpit. Something every sim from the last decade comes with.

They know their casual audience of graphics snobs and car culture influencers, spent millions on marketing tactics and dont give a damn about the rest. They'll implement some features in one game then remove them in the next. If features that sim racers use are broken it does not matter to their bottom line. This is just how it goes.

You best bet is to wait till the game stops getting updates. If by then the wheel doesn't feel right then they've moved onto the next game and didnt care enough to implement it. That's just a typical console experience. Where the devs are completely detached from the fanbase.

Last edited:
Back