Gran Turismo 7's Online Features Will Continue to Evolve, says Kazunori Yamauchi

• Thread starter Famine
  • 186 comments
Um, no offense, but... to the ones calling Kaz a hack/needs a reality check/etc, have you ever considered the possibility that calling him such names is going to help little in the long run?
I don't think it will help at all. To be honest, even praising him in every way possible won't change a thing. He lives in his own bubble.

In my opinion, he is a hack. He lied through his teeth in the lead up to the release of this game knowing full well what he was claiming was simply not true. He painted a false picture to capitalize on the nostalgia that many fans (myself included) have for this franchise.

Polyphony are no better than Activision and EA at this point.

You're the one insulting Kaz and hating on GT 7 some of your reasons are valid but you act like they haven't tried changing things and improving the experience.....is it perfect no, but it's far better than what it was back in March....
I never insulted kaz a lot of my arguments have been constructive all the time.

I respect him for the work but also critical of GT. Always been hits and misses.

Last edited:
I don't care about online, but if there is ever one feature that will get me to care - Shuffle Racing. Have a shuffle race for sport mode and you might see me on track, without that, these evolving things hold little interest to me personally.

I don't care about online, but if there is ever one feature that will get me to care - Shuffle Racing. Have a shuffle race for sport mode and you might see me on track, without that, these evolving things hold little interest to me personally.
Online racing doesn't appeal greatly to me, that said I've started a few events recently, and it's been enjoyable. I'm more interested in driving cars I enjoy rather than picking the meta vehicle of the day. Shuffle Racing is the single biggest addition PD could make to attract casual racers online. They could even turn-off driver ratings, which would make it a less pressured environment. Everyone would know what they're going into, the community could police itself in terms of rooting out wreckers.
... Now that's one of the most hyperbolic comparisons I've ever read. Right up there with ResetEra's.

Wow. =/
It's probably been the best week since launch for GT7 with the update and successful GTWS. The community as a whole has welcomed these developments, while encouraging further improvements. Which is exactly what Kaz has also been saying in the roundtable interview (this was just one question from it).

... this is the lot of the weaker negotiating partner. We know this from politics and business :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info and redards
M

You had him round the table and only talked about online lobbies? I hope more was brought to his attention than that. The most made of that opportunity the better.

Hopefully more than 3 daily races will be introduced in the future and better strategy implemented including dynamic weather etc.

There's much more to this game than online though...

What about single player? Where are the Championship style races, qualifying, grid starts, a race weekend experience? Why is every race start at the back and chase the leader. Every race, be it missions or specific track races - they're always the same. It's not racing, it's catching up.

What about making the economy and that f'ing roulette system fairer and more balanced. No one's asking for the best prize every time, but just so we don't win the lowest 99% of the time. It's truly demoralising.

The distinct lack of events for certain tracks (Monza) when others (Tokyo) have too many.

The ability to customise the HUD view or even adding a proper bonnet cam or even the ability to remove the steering wheel in cockpit view.

Overly focussed on gimmick sponsorships and VGTs

Lack of truly up to date cars - Gr3, Gr4 race and road cars from NOW - the 2020's, not 2004 and 2012!

A better GT Auto where we can see our own cars in the garage instead of that same Porsche and GT86. Actually see the oil being changed or the car being washed. Better immersion and connection to our cars and garage.

The game is still half finished as a AAA title, as far as I'm concerned. I paid £80+ for the 25 year limited edition steelbook version and at the minute, it's still very limited.

Last edited:
Here’s some online features I’d like to see.

• 24 players races
  • addition of seasons with championships, alike GTWS races, that would last the whole season. The races would be separated in series with Entry series (Miata and others)/Gr4/Gr3/Gr2/Gr1/GrX where you would have to accumulate experience to be able to race in the next series
  • better penalty system
  • longer races, 30’/60’/90’ with qualifying before the race (daily race D or special races in the seasons I suggest above where the stakes would double)

Lol. I find it hard to take anything substantial from that interview excerpt. To me it sounds a lot like smoke & mirrors. Deflecting without taking responsibility. Almost like a grad student's excuses for handing in an incomplete paper, after having nights out :D

Maybe there's more that he said, but just the quotes from the main article don't really say much imo.

“GT Sport had a real focus on online competition and things like hosting the World Series events and things like that and it was developed for it”

When there's nothing to say, just fill in the blanks with things.

“We had to refactor everything to allow for future advancements to the software.“

Seems fundamental during preproduction of a triple A title. How is this relevant so far into the game after initial release?

“I think there is still lots more left to do for Sport mode“

No ****. The internet is full with suggestions.

“Now we have clean code that we can expand upon and add more features.“

So the full retail priced “most complete“ GT of all time with an online focus was released with unfinished/dirty online code?

Last edited:
Then don't play this community whines so much, apparently you have outgrown what GT has become,it's worldwide and is bigger than ever...they have given us plenty this week to be happy about but as usual haters gotta make their presence felt...
GT is global for 2 decades already and bigger than ever is questionable until we see sales numbers.
Um, no offense, but... to the ones calling Kaz a hack/needs a reality check/etc, have you ever considered the possibility that calling him such names is going to help little in the long run?
I don't agree with name calling either but what is he gonna do? Get mad and not update the game ? . Thats his loss, there are plenty of alternatives for casual and e-sports focused players.
Well why can't you also praise what they do right ??
Like what?.

More like a bunch of Debbie downers.....or Karen's perhaps.....I really have doubts some of you ever played a GT game at all....
Insulting huge numbers of members in one go, nice. I think you'll find everyone is entitled to their opinions be those positive or negative, including you. You're entitled to agree or disagree with different opinions. What that doesn't give you the right to do is insult people whose opinions you don't agree with.

If you want to debate a specific opinion you feel is unfair, go for it, but attack the points not the people making them.

At this point it seems unlikely to matter. It's certainly not going to figure into Kaz's behaviour. If people feel better calling out what they see as his deficiencies as a game developer, that's likely all the satisfaction they're gonna get so they might as well go for it.
'Cause otherwise, to be blunt, I feel like this kind of behavior is at least one reason why Kaz and PD don't want to interact with us.
Possibly, but they didn't interact much during the pre-GT5 release era either when they got basically universal praise. The most modern interaction we've gotten is when there's a major outcry, so if they're trying to train the community to behave nicely if they want communication they're going about it exactly backwards.
You are joking, right? Why?

"Hey guys, come and interview Kaz..... but you can only ask him the questions we want you to ask".

Honestly, PD 🙄
Because that's how a lot of interviews work these days. You get to talk to them about the things they want to talk about, or you get nothing at all.

It sucks, but there's very little anyone can do about it.

I'm still waiting for someone to ask him why 90% of GT single player is catch the rabbit from last. Of course we all have our theories, but I'd like to finally hear him give his explanation.
A 24 player race in Forza (as most races there are from grid) is a complete and utter mess, way too many cars fighting for the first corner. My guess is it’s because it’s a lot cleaner with rolling starts.

A 24 player race in Forza (as most races there are from grid) is a complete and utter mess, way too many cars fighting for the first corner. My guess is it’s because it’s a lot cleaner with rolling starts.
He's asking about single player.
Rolling starts in single player mode, with stupidly big gaps between cars against mind-numbingly bad AI, where us, the player, is intelligent enough to safely and cleanly negotiate T1? T1 with the AI is never messy, even at Monza, because they are so pedantic and cautious.

The format is monotonous, predicable and boring. Constantly starting at the back, passing pathetically poor AI, chasing the leader. There's absolutely no reason or justification for such a poorly implemented 'racing' system.

Hm, I can hope that at some point they add proper seasonal events, then... I... uh... think.
And also, why they don't relate the Daily Races to real life events, I'll never know. It's a profound lack of imagination, awareness and pure laziness.

For example;

When F1 is at Spa, Monza, Germany, Barcelona etc, why not have one of the Daily Races that week at the corresponding circuit in the game, and use the Super Formulas or the McLaren. It'll also give the players chance to show off their replica liveries.

Same with the US and Daytona, Watkins, Atlanta etc.

Give some relevance to the game and real life. It only takes a bit of thought. It's simple to implement.

They could also use Donnington, Oulton Park, and Snetterton for the BTCC.... oh, wait....

Aside from the fact this is our fourth article emerging from the round-table interview...

Read. Think. Read again. Think more. Post.
I don't know how to interpret that post. Are you implying that another article is likely to release soon, which discusses offline?

If so, I hope you're very critical of GT7. I cannot see any reason to play the single player experience, it is lifeless and dull. All you're doing is playing catch up. The game should have a difficulty setting, where for much higher difficulties - it introduces SOPHY so you can actually have meaningful and fun offline races.

GT7 has so much potential with the volume of cars and tracks but there is literally no reason to play it right now, I would argue the state of the AI for a game with this budget is completely unacceptable.

Last edited:
I don't know how to interpret that post. Are you implying that another article is likely to release soon, which discusses offline?
No, I'm stating that this is the fourth different article we've published from this round-table interview.

If you'd availed yourself of that information before your post berating us for only asking about one thing you wouldn't have made it.

In addition to those four, there were two further questions that didn't generate an answer - one of which was stopped by the Sony handler.

And I wasn't even in the room.

Back