Gran Turismo Ranked Best Driving Game Ever by Top Gear

Impact big, but one of the few down sides of GT1 is that its a short game. But BIG improvement at its time. Also number of cars and tracks played a part in it.

Even today, GT1's a really great game to play. Would be really nice to see any of the older GT's remastered on PS4, even if some of the cars or music wasn't included. Will probably never happen though.

Set the standard. And every boy racer (at least this one) got a Play Station especially for this game.
It hooked me and I bought every edition and of course every Play Station to support them.

I only hope they come back strong in the physics and all around realism. It just need to be more Sim like.
Imagine earning GT cast in order to build your entry into different races. And then earning enough to buy your own prototype, Le Mans, GT3 or WTCC ride.
Oh wait......................

I just don't understand their choice of as the best driving game ever.
If it would be me - i would pick Gran Turismo 4.
Just let's think about how many games which were trying to compete with it on 2005 ?
The only rivaling games which i can count as worthy in 2005 from my current info are :
1- Sega GT 2002.
2- Enthusia Professional Racing.
3- Forza Motorsport 1.
Sure GT1 was a ground breaking game at it's time but if it was for the best after GT1 i would pick GT4 among GT series.
Currently on consoles i would pick FM4 & GT6 together since each got good & bad points.

Last edited:
It was like somebody had written a game specifically for 11 year old me.

I don't think anything can have that same impact as GT1 did, because it has defined a whole genre, where it's not just about being a racing sim, but about ownership, modification, making your favourite car competitive against much faster machinery, and just simply driving for the fun of it in a huge variety of normal and exotic cars.

And the best thing about the first one? We didn't have to wait years for it to be released, as we didn't know about it ;)

Just let's think about how many games which were trying to compete with it on 2005 ?
The only rivaling games which i can count as worthy in 2005 from my current info are :
1- Sega GT 2002.
3- Forza Motorsport 1.
Sure GT1 was a ground breaking game at it's time but if it was for the best after GT1 i would pick GT4 among GT series.
Currently on consoles i would pick FM4 & GT6 together since each got good & bad points.
I don't know how anyone could pick GT6 as best game currently on console and keep a straight face.

1- Sega GT 2002.
3- Forza Motorsport 1.

And how many games were trying to compete with it in 1997?

That's why. It's hard to quantify now after PD's PS3 forays, but GT1 really was a revolutionary game. The Duke 3D or Quake of the genre; maybe even the Doom. Namco, Sega, EA and even Genki had dabbled in the structure that the first GT game used, and PD were four years too late to be the ones leading the charge in sim games on a console like the article says, and what GT1 did might have been an inevitability on the market (EA probably being the one to lead the charge a couple years later); but no one to that point had presented the whole package PD had with the care Sony bankrolled into it or the seriousness the game was made with.

It was a genre turning point, and you can see by the games that preceded it and followed how much it was the rising tide for the rest of the boats in the genre. Racing games could no longer survive by being nominally 3D variations of the same types of checkpoint racers that had existed since the mid 1980s. Production values skyrocketed. Game structures in the genre frequently changed to emulate it. Attention to detail and licencing became important bullet points. Actual arcade gameplay on consoles fell out of vogue compared to games that might be no more realistic but were at least comparable to real car behavior. Companies who didn't (or couldn't) go head to head in response usually landed in the bargain bin pretty damn quick, or took shelter on the N64, or barely limped out of the PSX generation before being slaughtered by GT3 and the Blackbox NFS games. And these sorts of lists almost always take how big of a deal the game in question was at the time into consideration.

Last edited:
Gran Turismo is to driving games what FIFA 98 was to football games or what Iron Maiden are to heavy metal. Not the first, but certainly one which took quality and appeal to new heights.

It is Growing The Beard for the driving game genre as a whole.

While I don't think GT1 was the best in the series, it was definitely the most important, especially here in the US. The amount of cars most of us had never hear of that we were exposed to because of that game was mind boggling. My first ever glimpse of a Skyline, RX-7, or Supra were through that game, especially since I was living in Metro Detroit and everyone owned an American car.

I always said that Top gear is the best motoring show (now Grand Tour for obvious reasons!)

and I always did say that Gran Turismo really was and is the best choice in sim racing if you want to get the most out of it.. there are some better things other games do, but overall the winner is always the same in the REALITY!

Gran Turismo 1 was revolutionary. At the time it brought amazing 3D graphics, a huge selection of real world cars, realistic handing, a hero to zero 'career' with fairly realistic, structured races and championships. You had to get licences to go racing. It was a sub-genre of the car/racing game that hadn't been done before.

The sequels of course improved on most facets of the game, but none have had such a big impact since, they've just been logical progressions, straight forward successors.

Gran Turismo is to driving games what FIFA 98 was to football games or what Iron Maiden are to heavy metal. Not the first, but certainly one which took quality and appeal to new heights.

If GT1 was to racing games what FIFA 98 was to football games then that would mean there was a game far superior and less popular than GT. Just sayin.

Last edited:

FIFA 98?! More like...

518FM011EQL._SX385_.jpg

Gran Turismo 1 was revolutionary. At the time it brought amazing 3D graphics, a huge selection of real world cars, realistic handing, a hero to zero 'career' with fairly realistic, structured races and championships. You had to get licences to go racing. It was a sub-genre of the car/racing game that hadn't been done before.

The sequels of course improved on most facets of the game, but none have had such a big impact since, they've just been logical progressions, straight forward successors.

Indeed. I feel the same way, and it's why I too would place the first game at the top of the pile. As much as GT6 may have evolved the concept over a decade and a half, it didn't have nearly the impact on the genre that the first game did.

Nothing has had the same impact since, and it's unlikely we'll ever see that sort of genre-wide change again IMO. Even GT Sport, for all of PD's posturing, isn't as revolutionary.

If I never started playing Gran Turismo 3 I wouldn't even be on here.

I remember setting up my PSOne at a family reuilnion. Just to show them the GT intro. Even my older aunts and uncles couldn't believe what they were seeing.

The trees swaying. The grandstand. That launch of the 3000GT & NSX. The touring cars at night. I'll always rank it as the best.

Latest Posts

Back