Gran Turismo Sport Closed Beta Coming March 17: First the US, Then EU Region

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 5,235 comments
My fastest wheel time is 14.078 and my fastest controller time is 14.009, and I am much smoother with the wheel and pedals than I am with a controller. I have played thousands of miles of oval racing on GT5 and GT6 and have never been able to come close to my wheel lap times on any oval ever with a controller until now, something is off.

Something was/is off with GT5/6. Due to the inherent steering restrictions PD set into the DS3 it was impossible to come close to wheel laptimes particularly at ovals. Now if laptimes are as close as you have posted it seems to indicate they have rectified a problem rather than caused one.

Something was/is off with GT5/6. Due to the inherent steering restrictions PD set into the DS3 it was impossible to come close to wheel laptimes particularly at ovals. Now if laptimes are as close as you have posted it seems to indicate they have rectified a problem rather than caused one.
Agreed. There were certain combos in GT5/6 where it was a major disadvantage to be on a controller, because of the way those games handled steering inputs. Its nice to see they may have remedied that, and hope they keep it.

I don't see how PD put inherent restrictions into the DS3, the wheel by design being the control mechanism should be inherently smoother than a controller. I would do lap after lap into TT mode with both controller and wheel watching my ghost and I could see that the slightest input would scrub the slightest speed off and cause a slower lap time. There is one thing that held true on ovals in GT5/6, quiet tires makes fast laps and quite tires came from minimal inputs from extremely smooth driving. That does not happen in GTSport that I can see, look how jerky drivers can be and lap times do not suffer.

I never found it impossible to come close to my GT5/6 oval lap times, just the controller would never be the fastest. The .068 is a massive amount of time on a little 1/2 mile oval, I could stay within .050 on a 43 second NASCAR Daytona lap so, being more than that on a 14 second lap is way off to me.

Maybe the DS4 controller is better for racing, in the way that the inputs are more sensitive and not as rash as the DS3 controller , thus allowing the player to have more/ better control over the car's movement. It might be that ...

I don't see how PD put inherent restrictions into the DS3, the wheel by design being the control mechanism should be inherently smoother than a controller.

I agree that the wheel should be smoother than the controller but there is solid evidence that in certain circumstances it is not possible to steer to the same extent with a DS3 as it is with a wheel.

I could provide you with lots of examples if you wish but one you may remember was when the SRT Tomahawk Vision GT car was launched. The car could be won by completing a time trial at the High Speed Ring but there was uproar from controller drivers complaining that it was not physically possible to go around the turns at the speeds needed to set the required time. Lo and behold, PD went off and adjusted some settings, the steering restriction was eased and it was suddenly possible to make the turns at the required speed.

I agree that the wheel should be smoother than the controller but there is solid evidence that in certain circumstances it is not possible to steer to the same extent with a DS3 as it is with a wheel.

I could provide you with lots of examples if you wish but one you may remember was when the SRT Tomahawk Vision GT car was launched. The car could be won by completing a time trial at the High Speed Ring but there was uproar from controller drivers complaining that it was not physically possible to go around the turns at the speeds needed to set the required time. Lo and behold, PD went off and adjusted some settings, the steering restriction was eased and it was suddenly possible to make the turns at the required speed.

I'm talking about the 1/2 mile oval as a test, minimal steering input and no braking, I wasn't talking extremes. If someone has a wheel and controller, try the track when/if it comes back around, imo you will see what I mean.

Apart from one person (unsurprisingly, the same one who tries to punt me off every chance), had some great racing at Dragon Trail. Just had two good races as well at Nurburgring (both in the top 10, which is territory I never expect to be in).

@WhoosierGirl and others testing or playing with the DS4's...

Especially in GT6, with the DS3 controller there was a definite lag in between the time the trigger was fully depressed and when the power or brake bar got full on the HUD. Since I've yet to get a PS4, has this been addressed/fixed???

Cheers

I tried all three controller input types. D-pad with X/square gas/brake... nope. Motion steering is excellent but too wonky in sharp corners, hard to be precise with bigger inputs.

So my fastest controller time, and only one that beat my wheel time was with stick and triggers. Took a couple laps but clobbered my best time by 0.5 sec in Dragon Trail with gr.4 GTR. I was super sketchy with controller so there is a lot of room for improvement. I went back to wheel and hammered out laps until I beat my controller time.. by 0.2 sec. It was a rough night.

Im with you don't get me wrong the DS4 feels great with GTS best out of all my racing games. I still feel like I would be way faster with a wheel coming out of turns is killing me and I just cannot be as precise. @EDK The DS4 triggers are way better than the PS3 controller, but it's still hard to get the full potential of the car for me using the DS4.

While DS4 triggers are better than DS3, DS2 face buttons > DS4 and DS3.
In GT6, the steering filter and angle limiter is pretty conservative, at Big Willow long right curve with specific car setup to allow full throttle there, holding the steering at full lock could scrub speed a little, but mostly able to hold cornering speed.

With GTS, there may be adjustment with the filtering and angle limiter even low steering angle input.

Last edited:
I thought the DS4 doesn't have pressure sensitive face buttons.

I meant vs the triggers ( pressure sensitive ) on DS4 and DS3, the DS2 face buttons are the "ultimate" pressure sensitive buttons :P You can modulate how much throttle/brake with precision within 10% increment or less, almost like with pedal - but you are using your thumb. I never use my DS3 on PS3, except for games that requires motion sensor like Heavy Rain/Beyond2Soul.

And good thing is it can work with adapter on PS4.

Excellent evening for me !

I didn't win but I had a lot of fun, it was very close !

Overall, online mode works well : search for players is done quickly, I think there is a good balance between players, no disconnection .... Still lag but it's better than last weekend. There is still some work on this. Courage PoDi ! :)
I like your constant optimism :)

I meant vs the triggers ( pressure sensitive ) on DS4 and DS3, the DS2 face buttons are the "ultimate" pressure sensitive buttons :P You can modulate how much throttle/brake with precision within 10% increment or less, almost like with pedal - but you are using your thumb. I never use my DS3 on PS3, except for games that requires motion sensor like Heavy Rain/Beyond2Soul.

And good thing is it can work with adapter on PS4.
Adapter?! What adapter do you use? I haven't looked into it much. And do you only use official PS controllers for everything (if you play Xbox or PC games)?

Adapter?! What adapter do you use? I haven't looked into it much. And do you only use official PS controllers for everything (if you play Xbox or PC games)?

USB adapter, you need to get one that works with PS4, not all of them does. I have chinese unknown cheap brand adapter. I also play PC games like Live For Speed, emulated games ( PSX, SNES etc ) with the DS2.

Something like this-the expensive brand, you can even use DS2 on Xbox One :D

https://www.focusattack.com/brook-super-converter-playstation-2-to-ps3-ps4-adapter/

https://www.focusattack.com/brook-super-converter-ps2-to-xbox-one-adapter/

On mine, I had to use special combination button presses to access PS 3/4 Home Button and PS3 System Menu ( controller assignment, turn off system, quit game )

USB adapter, you need to get one that works with PS4, not all of them does. I have chinese unknown cheap brand adapter. I also play PC games like Live For Speed, emulated games ( PSX, SNES etc ) with the DS2.

Something like this-the expensive brand, you can even use DS2 on Xbox One :D

https://www.focusattack.com/brook-super-converter-playstation-2-to-ps3-ps4-adapter/

https://www.focusattack.com/brook-super-converter-ps2-to-xbox-one-adapter/

On mine, I had to use special combination button presses to access PS 3/4 Home Button and PS3 System Menu ( controller assignment, turn off system, quit game )
Sweeet. Thank you. Next time, don't make me ask!!! :P

Why bother using a controller? Yes, you will be able to drive fast with a controller, too. But is speed all that matters? What about realism? What about fun? I played with a pad for years. Switched to a G29 last year and i will never go back.
Not everyone can justify paying the money required for what is essentially a toy.

Even for myself investing in a T150 (technically, it's a gift) with a wheelstand, the total comes to £220 which is quite a bit, especially for patchy wheel support all around this generation.

Yep. I haven't turned it on in several days, but I found much the same. Run some laps with the wheel and put a time on the top 10 board. Run some laps with the DS4 and cut a lap within a tenth.

The difference I found was that I could barely keep the car on the track with the DS4, whereas I felt as comfortable as always with the G29. If I had taken a few more laps I'm certain I'd have beat my wheel time with the DS4, and if I could keep the car on the track with it I would likely clobber my own wheel time.

This, from someone who has used a wheel for the past decade. When I 'test' cars on the DS3/GT6(for a specific league, I tend to check driveability of the cars on both as the users are mixed in the series) I am usually 2+ seconds slower per minute on track.

Naturally, certain 'combos' of car/track can find benefit in lap times using a DS3 over a wheel, however that is rare. It would appear to me that this finding is rather telling.
Well I've suffered with PCars for about 2 years now so GT Sport should feel fine.

hmm, not sure if this has been speculated before, but I think the daily challenge prize system gives you a car in the class which you have driven the most, so far I have only gotten gr.3 cars, and gr.3 cars are the ones i've driven the most. Just a thought. Maybe i'm just unlucky

hmm, not sure if this has been speculated before, but I think the daily challenge prize system gives you a car in the class which you have driven the most, so far I have only gotten gr.3 cars, and gr.3 cars are the ones i've driven the most. Just a thought. Maybe i'm just unlucky
I did think this after getting the same class car 4 days in a row but yesterday I did get a difference class car so I think it's just random.

I've hardly driven grp 3 at all, yet I get more of those than anything.

MMX
I've hardly driven grp 3 at all, yet I get more of those than anything.
Yea I've mostly driven N300 and went a very long time before getting one. I received mostly Gr.3 as well, a few Gr. 4. I think I had 14 cars before I received a new N300, and I only have 4 to date.

I have none of the competitive cars in either N300 or Gr.4, so I'm contemplating not taking part in them anymore.

If I do, I will always finish at the back, and my DR will go down further, resulting in being thrown in with crash-prone drivers, which will additionally wreck my SR rating.

I think the idea behind the rating system is pretty good, but in this beta where cars are not freely accessible, it needs a good BoP to work properly.

It's just heavily weighted toward the Gr.3, but there are also more of those anyhow. I've not heard of anyone who is getting a list weighted toward either of the other classes.

I've not heard of anyone getting duplicates, so we'll all end up with all the cars, eventually.

Latest Posts

Back