Gran Turismo Sport Closed Beta Coming March 17: First the US, Then EU Region

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 5,235 comments
Can some one share the setup of these leaderboard times? I think off road tires will help for sure ;):yuck:
Also funny too see the flags. See some similarities :lol::lol::lol:

Gran Turismo™Sport Besloten bèta - testversie_20170419142010.jpg

Thanks. Will try a bit of ABS and see how I get on.
I'm tempted to scrap my T300 and use a controller...

At the very least, I think I need to pull the bump-stop mod out of my pedals to be able to get 100% pedal stroke more easily. I don't think GTS rewards you for staying out of ABS.

At the very least, I think I need to pull the bump-stop mod out of my pedals to be able to get 100% pedal stroke more easily. I don't think GTS rewards you for staying out of ABS.
Luckily I'm using a Fanatec CSW v2 with Clubsport v3 pedals via a CronusMax adaptor so it's easier to find the braking threshold with a load cell compared to a potentiometer. However I do agree with you, DS4 does appear to have a bit of an advantage at the moment. I'll see how I get on with ABS and make a decision. If I do swap to controller at least I'll be able to play the game on my 4K OLED rather than the 1080P LCD on my racing rig.

Luckily I'm using a Fanatec CSW v2 with Clubsport v3 pedals via a CronusMax adaptor so it's easier to find the braking threshold with a load cell compared to a potentiometer. However I do agree with you, DS4 does appear to have a bit of an advantage at the moment. I'll see how I get on with ABS and make a decision. If I do swap to controller at least I'll be able to play the game on my 4K OLED rather than the 1080P LCD on my racing rig.

GTS adverts as 'the real simulator' and then trading your wheel for a controller? Equal playing field between controller/wheel ok but hopefully the advantage for controller is a temporary thing in the Beta?

GTS adverts as 'the real simulator' and then trading your wheel for a controller? Equal playing field between controller/wheel ok but hopefully the advantage for controller is a temporary thing in the Beta?
I hope so too but we have to remember the vast majority of GTS players will be using a DS4. I do hope they balance the game to ensure parity.

I changed my pedal travel for V3 inverted in the PC software so I don't have to absolutely mash it to the floor. I use a pretty heavy load cell and was not interested in changing it for GT Sport vs. GT6. Still need to play GT6, since that's what we are using for WRS.

Just out of curiosity, what evidence is there to suggest that controllers have an actual advantage over wheels? I do use a DS4 myself so I can't compare directly to wheel behaviour.

Just out of curiosity, what evidence is there to suggest that controllers have an actual advantage over wheels? I do use a DS4 myself so I can't compare directly to wheel behaviour.
I see plenty of very fast drivers using wheel, I just think this is a case of right now the game not giving wheel users the same advantage as the platform has since GT5 Prologue.

On GT4, there was a big mix of fast drivers using controller, right up there with the wheel drivers.

The elite tier on GT5 Prologue forward has been comprised almost entirely of wheel users, and the controller users would generally acknowledge the disadvantage.

What I am hearing is that the triggers on the DS4 are more progressive than the DS3.

That, combined with what I would consider obviously shorter and easier to manage braking distances is evening things out.

For me, there's no choice. Driving with the wheel is about the experience and immersion, a controller cannot match that. And after 10 years of driving with the wheel, my controller skills are nowhere close to where they would need to be to be safe, let alone competitive.

Im with you don't get me wrong the DS4 feels great with GTS best out of all my racing games. I still feel like I would be way faster with a wheel coming out of turns is killing me and I just cannot be as precise. @EDK The DS4 triggers are way better than the PS3 controller, but it's still hard to get the full potential of the car for me using the DS4.

Hey @PzR Slim could you do us a test and try for your best lap time using DS4, just to give us an idea of how they compare? (If you haven't already done that).

Would love to know...

Cheers!

.... I still feel like I would be way faster with a wheel coming out of turns is killing me and I just cannot be as precise. (with a controller)

You are correct, in a way.

One definitely cannot be as precise with a controller, as you can with a wheel and pedals.

So, the game software has to 'help you' smooth it out, so you can be competitive with a wheel user.

The question, is how much to help, and the challenge all these games have, is to manage the inputs of controllers versus wheel inputs, and find a balance. It's always going to be artificial, driving with little buttons, so it's all wrapped up in the attempts to 'equalize' them. it's not a simple thing to do.
It's never going to be perfect, and the balance has to be set towards the majority of their customers, who use a basic controller. it has to be fun.

the best solution, to my mind at the moment, is to have an option for wheel rooms, or at least be able to sort the leader boards, to see wheel times listed separate from controller times.

Last edited:
Ok so this is probably the most stupid question but since I can't find the answer anywhere, I'll ask it anyway... How do you enter the Arcade mode? I've seen people racing one make races in the Arcade mode but it's greyed out for me and can't access it... I can only access the Sport mode and do the hotlap 'races' since the events aren't online yet. I've tried disabling my internet to access Arcade but that doesn't work. This is also my first day on the beta and haven't raced online yet, do you need to race first before it unlocks?

If there are some sort of aids being applied, it would be hard to quantify. I never thought about it until I saw some mention here, and then after watching the video that windfire posted above.

I've been convinced that tuning has been holding me back a little. I'm not so sure now, plan on doing a test tonight. Set fastest wheel time, then go to controller. I haven't used controller for anything but occasional rally and drift for the last 10 years so it will be an interesting endeavor.

I might mention that it took me several very focused laps with the wheel to match a lap time I set after 3 quick and dirty laps experimenting with motion controller steering at Brands Hatch GP, 4C Gr.3 :nervous:

Ok so this is probably the most stupid question but since I can't find the answer anywhere, I'll ask it anyway... How do you enter the Arcade mode? I've seen people racing one make races in the Arcade mode but it's greyed out for me and can't access it... I can only access the Sport mode and do the hotlap 'races' since the events aren't online yet. I've tried disabling my internet to access Arcade but that doesn't work. This is also my first day on the beta and haven't raced online yet, do you need to race first before it unlocks?
No longer available.

Damn, serious? What's the point in disabling it? People actually testing out the AI? Missed opportunity here...
Edit: thanks for the quick respond!

To focus on the server testing. I think they know now that the AI is still easy, whether they'll change it is up to them.

One definitely cannot be as precise with a controller, as you can with a wheel and pedals.

So, the game software has to 'help you' smooth it out, so you can be competitive with a wheel user.

The question, and challenge all these games have, is to manage the inputs of controllers versus wheel inputs, and find a balance. It's always going to be artificial, driving with little buttons, so it's all wrapped up in the attempts to 'equalize' them.
It's never going to be perfect, and the balance has to be set towards the majority of their customers, who use a basic controller.

And that's how it should be. The DS3 with GT6 demonstrated how PD got that artificiality wrong by building in a steering restriction which was particularly evident when driving high downforce racing cars around fast constant radius turns. I've loads of evidence where controller drivers had to lift when wheel drivers could hold it flat and that is why you saw very few, if any, controller drivers qualify for the GT Academy.

Yeah, there's no doubt that the DS4 is an improvement over the DS3 but I don't think that proves that it provides any overriding advantage over a wheel.

DS4 does appear to have a bit of an advantage at the moment.

What's this based on? Controller inputs are well filtered which is helpful but on the other hand speed sensitivity is still quite strong (as in previous GTs) - and of course no amount of optimisation can take away the limited steering/'pedal' ranges. I don't have a PS4 wheel so I can't compare, but I'd be very surprised if a controller was inherently faster.

What's this based on? Controller inputs are well filtered which is helpful but on the other hand speed sensitivity is still quite strong (as in previous GTs) - and of course no amount of optimisation can take away the limited steering/'pedal' ranges. I don't have a PS4 wheel so I can't compare, but I'd be very surprised if a controller was inherently faster.
I seem to be just as quick with the controller compared to my wheel after not using a controller for the past 10 years.

I don't have a PS4 wheel so I can't compare, but I'd be very surprised if a controller was inherently faster.
I wouldn't be too surprised. Controller vs. wheel has always been a challenge to balance. Applying artificial aids to controller is simply another layer of BoP, which is never perfect.

After trying to play Assetto Corsa with controller, I realized that the design of steering control is so, so much more complicated than thumb stick = steering wheel. GT has always done a great job of making it easy to use for everyone, and I think now they're narrowing in on making it competitively equal to a wheel, which is good.

The question, is how much to help, and the challenge all these games have, is to manage the inputs of controllers versus wheel inputs, and find a balance. It's always going to be artificial, driving with little buttons, so it's all wrapped up in the attempts to 'equalize' them. it's not a simple thing to do.
It's never going to be perfect, and the balance has to be set towards the majority of their customers, who use a basic controller. it has to be fun.

the best solution, to my mind at the moment, is to have an option for wheel rooms, or at least be able to sort the leader boards, to see wheel times listed separate from controller times.

And another aspect we are not considering, tire wear.

On Wheels, you can save your tires a lot more compared to a normal controller.

On Project Cars, for example, it was IMPOSSIBLE to compete at high level against wheel users cause of this. It makes sense. On the DS4 you usually steer the maximum on the stick cause its really hard to be gentle on it.

Just watch an IOF-Racing race and see where his red dot is. It's amazing how little the dot goes away from the center.

You do now that Kaz is working on getting a real life racing license from playing this game? How can you achieve steering wheel lap times with a controller

You do now that Kaz is working on getting a real life racing license from playing this game? How can you achieve steering wheel lap times with a controller

I'm going to assume that second part is a question...

How can't you? The input method matters little in the grand scheme of things — even the fanciest, most elitist-friendly racing rig won't give you the seat-of-the-pants feel of pushing a real car to (and over) the limit on a race track. That stuff can't be taught with a video game, and I'd argue that's a much bigger barrier to becoming truly good in the real world than whatever plastic accessory you used in a $70 video game.

The vast majority of potential GT Sport players will be using the default controller.

It generally depends on skill. There are some people who are mediocre with a wheel and really good with a DS4, vice versa and more. Apart from the skill fact, setups and track knowledge also determine how good you are. There are lots of other things to mention though.

I seem to be just as quick with the controller compared to my wheel after not using a controller for the past 10 years.

Yep. I haven't turned it on in several days, but I found much the same. Run some laps with the wheel and put a time on the top 10 board. Run some laps with the DS4 and cut a lap within a tenth.

The difference I found was that I could barely keep the car on the track with the DS4, whereas I felt as comfortable as always with the G29. If I had taken a few more laps I'm certain I'd have beat my wheel time with the DS4, and if I could keep the car on the track with it I would likely clobber my own wheel time.

This, from someone who has used a wheel for the past decade. When I 'test' cars on the DS3/GT6(for a specific league, I tend to check driveability of the cars on both as the users are mixed in the series) I am usually 2+ seconds slower per minute on track.

Naturally, certain 'combos' of car/track can find benefit in lap times using a DS3 over a wheel, however that is rare. It would appear to me that this finding is rather telling.

I think for hot lapping, qualifying, and short races a wheel and pad can be neck and neck (close to the same times) but on longer races, the wheel can edge out the pad. The longer the race the more consistent you have to be and fewer mistakes which are just easier with a wheel. IMO

Back