Gran Turismo Sport Closed Beta Coming March 17: First the US, Then EU Region

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 5,235 comments
I'm going to assume that second part is a question...

How can't you? The input method matters little in the grand scheme of things — even the fanciest, most elitist-friendly racing rig won't give you the seat-of-the-pants feel of pushing a real car to (and over) the limit on a race track. That stuff can't be taught with a video game, and I'd argue that's a much bigger barrier to becoming truly good in the real world than whatever plastic accessory you used in a $70 video game.

People don't seem to understand that games only teaches you the basics and habits (depending on certain aspects), not the on-edge feel of actually being out there with all the noise, heat and the far more concreate stress of others on the track with you that at the end of the day can only be achieved by, what else? Actually being out there.

Also, I feel whoever is paying $70 for a game is being ripped off.

People don't seem to understand that games only teaches you the basics and habits (depending on certain aspects), not the on-edge feel of actually being out there with all the noise, heat and the far more concreate stress of others on the track with you that at the end of the day can only be achieved by, what else? Actually being out there.

That's cheap compared to what the Aussies pay, you need to look up exchange rates of different countries

Seriously whats happening? am I the only one without a code? no news at all? have some of you got any code this couple of days?

I dunno. I'm seeing a wider spread of SR in lobbies, so perhaps more testers would be useful. Servers seem stable enough, although the netcode isn't great.

5e780373a3db73f16bf71b4d446964c04dc746feee8845294a333599a69b852f.jpg

Last edited:

Oh, is that not the typical retail price of new games in the US? My bad — it's up to $80 here. $60 it is, then.

I highly doubt that 'alien' like drivers that set the fastest lap times, can match their lap times on a controller.

What about the aliens that already run on controllers?

Yeah, people are probably going to struggle to match their fastest times on any setup they're less familiar with. That's sort of expected.

Seriously whats happening? am I the only one without a code? no news at all? have some of you got any code this couple of days?

Hey man, still no code here (UK). Pretty much given up on getting one, guess I'll just wait for the full game.

Was secretly hoping I'd get a code here today as it's my birthday :lol:

That same $70 would get you about 20 minutes on track in most entry level motorsports settings (real car on real track). And that's provided you already have all the required safety equipment, which is likely to set you back another $1,000.

How do you feel about it now?

What about the aliens that already run on controllers?

Yeah, people are probably going to struggle to match their fastest times on any setup they're less familiar with. That's sort of expected.

Yes, rarely will you find a driver that is alien fast on both controller and wheel, so it's diffucult to compare these things.

Oh, is that not the typical retail price of new games in the US? My bad — it's up to $80 here. $60 it is, then.

Price for a new game in the US (at least every single time I've seen or got a game brand new) has usually been $59.99 so yeah, about $60 (though I'm thinking that might be including tax. Didn't mean to sound condescending if I did, just read that and thought "Whoa, that's abit much".

That's cheap compared to what the Aussies pay, you need to look up exchange rates of different countries

I've read about that and Jesus, I'm just speechless at the insane prices they pay.

EDK
That same $70 would get you about 20 minutes on track in most entry level motorsports settings (real car on real track). And that's provided you already have all the required safety equipment, which is likely to set you back another $1,000.

How do you feel about it now?

More poorer then usual :lol:

I highly doubt that 'alien' like drivers that set the fastest lap times, can match their lap times on a controller.

Run some laps with the wheel and put a time on the top 10 board. Run some laps with the DS4 and cut a lap within a tenth.

{SNIP}

Naturally, certain 'combos' of car/track can find benefit in lap times using a DS3 over a wheel, however that is rare. It would appear to me that this finding is rather telling.

You know, this talk about wheel vs DS4 leads me to think I might have finally figured out why despite feeling more secure, why I was actually slower on GT6 with a Wheel then I was with a pad (which I always felt slower on). I was already on the fence about having a wheel on PS4, but now I'm leaning more towards not do so (not that it took much considering a budget doesn't wheel appear to exist this time around).

Why bother using a controller? Yes, you will be able to drive fast with a controller, too. But is speed all that matters? What about realism? What about fun? I played with a pad for years. Switched to a G29 last year and i will never go back.

Some people's idea of fun is actually with the default peripheral that came with their system and not with one they had to drop some money on. That and they are probably not all that bothered about realism.

Yes, rarely will you find a driver that is alien fast on both controller and wheel, so it's diffucult to compare these things.

I'd agree with that. Though I think the truly fast folks are that way because they can adapt quickly. Put them on any input method and they'll make it work.

Why bother using a controller? Yes, you will be able to drive fast with a controller, too. But is speed all that matters? What about realism? What about fun? I played with a pad for years. Switched to a G29 last year and i will never go back.

Why bother understanding that some folks have different ideas of having video game fun?

Some people's idea of fun is actually with the default peripheral that came with their system and not with one they had to drop some money on. That and they are probably not all that bothered about realism.

That was pretty much my opinion back in the day, but that kind of feedback and feel for the car a FFB wheel delivers is incredibly FUN. And i think that in a game like GT Sport, realism does indeed matter.

The input method matters little in the grand scheme of things — even the fanciest, most elitist-friendly racing rig won't give you the seat-of-the-pants feel of pushing a real car to (and over) the limit on a race track. That stuff can't be taught with a video game, and I'd argue that's a much bigger barrier to becoming truly good in the real world than whatever plastic accessory you used in a $70 video game.
I mostly agree with you, but a player who is top-10 fast with a pad and never uses a wheel is going to have a steeper learning curve when getting into a real car than an equal guy who's been using a wheel. To your point, they will both likely be as potent behind the real wheel eventually as the foundation is there, but the wheel guy will have a decent muscle memory head start.

Naturally, certain 'combos' of car/track can find benefit in lap times using a DS3 over a wheel, however that is rare. It would appear to me that this finding is rather telling.
Man, I'm getting antsy to do this experiment tonight. You sound like a pretty scientific dude, what car/track combo was it?

Honestly there's no way I'd go back to controller. I'm not knocking other peoples' choice to stick with it - in fact I'm happy to see how competitive it is as to not alienate pad users (...or does it make them aliens?? :eek::eek:) Having a wheel is like having an extra dimension, or seeing in HD instead of SD. To not use one would be like not using 1/3 of the game - sight, sound, feel. To controller users I'd say controllers are cool, but if you're into driving cars, you're missing out.

Give me a controller and I'd be hopeless, haven't used one in years for racing would take me weeks to get used to it again. :P

Yeah, I could see that. Do you play other video games a lot, though? I feel like regular play with a controller in general would help. It also depends on which racer you're playing: PCARS and AC have some iffy default controller setups IMO, feeling bizarrely less natural than other games (FM and GT being the high-water marks for me).

After a while of not playing racing games with wheels, I found it simple to go back to it and post quick times, but that's probably due to driving in the real world. I imagine going from that back to pad is harder, and probably why those with decades of driving experience (but unfamiliar with video games in general) have such a struggle. I would demolish my dad back in the early GT games as a kid, and I'm guessing a lot of that came down to not having to ignore everything I knew about driving (since I couldn't legally back then).

I mostly agree with you, but a player who is top-10 fast with a pad and never uses a wheel is going to have a steeper learning curve when getting into a real car than an equal guy who's been using a wheel. To your point, they will both likely be as potent behind the real wheel eventually as the foundation is there, but the wheel guy will have a decent muscle memory head start.

Oh definitely. It'd tie into what I said above, too: a player that's that fast but has never driven a real car period will have a much steeper learning curve than someone who has, but still plays games with a pad.

Hey man, still no code here (UK). Pretty much given up on getting one, guess I'll just wait for the full game.

Was secretly hoping I'd get a code here today as it's my birthday :lol:
Happy Birthday! :dunce::cheers::dunce:
Hope we'll get very very soon:gtpflag:

Last edited:
If you want to test the wheel vs. controller for yourself wait for the little oval to come back. There is no braking needed and everyone already know which car is fastest (AMG), there is also no tuning allowed so less variables than any other tracks. Every person I have asked to test this that has tested this has found that they can beat there wheel time with a controller.

My fastest wheel time is 14.078 and my fastest controller time is 14.009, and I am much smoother with the wheel and pedals than I am with a controller. I have played thousands of miles of oval racing on GT5 and GT6 and have never been able to come close to my wheel lap times on any oval ever with a controller until now, something is off.

Luckily I'm using a Fanatec CSW v2 with Clubsport v3 pedals via a CronusMax adaptor so it's easier to find the braking threshold with a load cell compared to a potentiometer. However I do agree with you, DS4 does appear to have a bit of an advantage at the moment. I'll see how I get on with ABS and make a decision. If I do swap to controller at least I'll be able to play the game on my 4K OLED rather than the 1080P LCD on my racing rig.
So with ABS on mild I managed to take 3 seconds off my lap at the ring and it wasn't a perfect lap. If I can find a decent tune I think I can get into the mid 40's.

I have to quit next year? say it aint so. :)
Absolutely not :) PD just advertises the game for ages 7-77 on their website which is where I got the age range from. I was just trying to imply that for Sony to ban an entire PSN account for someone that perhaps hasn't learned proper race etiquette yet would be a mistake and potentially turn away a lot of kids from the series for life :cheers:

Yeah, I could see that. Do you play other video games a lot, though? I feel like regular play with a controller in general would help. It also depends on which racer you're playing: PCARS and AC have some iffy default controller setups IMO, feeling bizarrely less natural than other games (FM and GT being the high-water marks for me).

After a while of not playing racing games with wheels, I found it simple to go back to it and post quick times, but that's probably due to driving in the real world. I imagine going from that back to pad is harder, and probably why those with decades of driving experience (but unfamiliar with video games in general) have such a struggle. I would demolish my dad back in the early GT games as a kid, and I'm guessing a lot of that came down to not having to ignore everything I knew about driving (since I couldn't legally back then).

Yeh, I play Rainbow Six Siege and Rocket League quite a lot, although I think it's fair to say that I'm not great at them in terms of using the controller. Siege I have to compensate for my aim by knowing the maps and out playing the enemy as my aim isn't usually great.

The problem I have is I've lost the control of the sticks that I used to have when I played GT5 on the controller. I haven't actually used my wheel for a few months now but it took me no time at all to get back into it, probably because I drive my real car every day (sometimes as if I'm on a track too :P).

Back