Gran Turismo Sport Coming to PS4 in Fall 2017

I disagree.

I found it to be both more entertaining and engaging than anything GT 5 or 6 offered, and I'm still playing it.

It offered structured races, that follow an actual race weekend format, with appropriate rules and the ability to tailor the AI and duration to your own needs.

The only thing it didn't have was the Pavlov's dog reward system that personally I don't need or particularly enjoy.

Such is the subjective nature of such things, but I find the must win to progress nature of the likes of GT to be utterly unrealistic and breaks the immersion for me.

Nah, I've played the single-player campaign in Project Cars. It's rubbish.

You choose from a racing series, but you don't have the choice of which car to use for the series. You must pick from three or four pre-selected contracts with pre-selected liveries.

Then you get put in front of a calendar, each event within the calendar is pretty much the same as a single race I can load up from the main menu whenever I want. It makes me feel like the career mode is kinda pointless when I can set up the same kind of race in a few minutes.

Career mode needs to be unique from the rest of the game, and offer interesting scenarios and challenges to keep me interested.

You choose from a racing series, but you don't have the choice of which car to use for the series. You must pick from three or four pre-selected contracts with pre-selected liveries.

Then you get put in front of a calendar, each event within the calendar is pretty much the same as a single race I can load up from the main menu whenever I want. It makes me feel like the career mode is kinda pointless when I can set up the same kind of race in a few minutes.

Career mode needs to be unique from the rest of the game, and offer interesting scenarios and challenges to keep me interested.
You mean it's like real life where you can't pick a Honda Civic, spend $500,000 upgrading it and go racing against Veyrons after throwing on F1 qualifying tires? You have to actually pick a car that's homologated for that series? Blasphemy!

Still hoping to see rain gameplay sooner rather than later. I'm going to drive the Viper in every category possible :lol:
It's a bit strange that it wasn't in the trailer but then again why are there rain tyres in the beta if rain is not going to be present? If they can't show us it now does that mean they are struggling to implement it? A bit weird.

You mean it's like real life where you can't pick a Honda Civic, spend $500,000 upgrading it and go racing against Veyrons after throwing on F1 qualifying tires? You have to actually pick a car that's homologated for that series? Blasphemy!

For me at least Real =/= Fun

It's a bit strange that it wasn't in the trailer but then again why are there rain tyres in the beta if rain is not going to be present? If they can't show us it now does that mean they are struggling to implement it? A bit weird.

Maybe saving it for later. They've pretty much shown their hand.

I totally understand where you're coming from with this @Scaff - for you this is a critical issue and you will never be able to 'unsee' it, but for me, it has no relevance really.

As an e-sport, in particular, it doesn't have to be 100% realistic, it just needs a set of rules that all the players understand. Within those rules there will hopefully be a lot of fun, some stiff competition and some top skills being shown (not by me haha).

My experience with DriveClub has shown me this. It's not realistic at all, but the online racing is amazing fun, and some of the top guys are awe-inspiring. And the amazing visuals help in a huge way. GT is quite similar in a lot of respects to that experience, and I can't wait.

Just my opinion of course.
I agree and was GTS being marketed in that way I would have no issue, but it's not.

Right now it falls into a place that it's almost afraid to either be an arcade racer with real cars or a full blown sim. In doing so, while attempting to present itself as a sim it's failing at both counts.

Which is exactly why I said its subjective.

It's rubbish for you, not for everybody.

Nah screw that fora career mode, throw me straight into a Honda Fit against my will after 15 years of experience in the same game. That's what a good career mode is.

So it's not for you, but GTS, which is focused on mimicking FIA sanctioned racing with limited car choices in official races, is? Makes sense.
Romanticism can really scue how one views things. Like I've said before, if this GTS came out from an unknown dev with a name unrelated to GT then people on this site would just be saying things how they are.

GTS is a weird case, it has credits so there's some progression, but in any other console racing game this generation, you have everything unlocked off the start. So you have absolutely no incentive to keep playing.
GT6 had credits, or incentive to play. Problem was there was no incentive to get credits as the game was dire.

Credits aren't needed to keep you playing a game. If they are then the game surely isn't very good. I mean what is the incentive to play when you're in first position half way into the first lap and then the rest of the time you're just thinking "hurry up race, be over"?

Last edited:
So it's not for you, but GTS, which is focused on mimicking FIA sanctioned racing with limited car choices in official races, is? Makes sense.

GTS is a weird case, it has credits so there's some progression, but in any other console racing game this generation, you have everything unlocked off the start. So you have absolutely no incentive to keep playing.

I agree and was GTS being marketed in that way I would have no issue, but it's not.

Right now it falls into a place that it's almost afraid to either be an arcade racer with real cars or a full blown sim. In doing so, while attempting to present itself as a sim it's failing at both counts.

But the marketing for Driveclub, whatever that was, didn't stop me from enjoying that game.

A genuine, non-arsey question: do you enjoy anything with 'broken physics'? DriveClub, for example?

If you prefer an artificial progression mechanic in a game, and a poorly designed one at that, that's your personal preference. Doesn't make a career mode rubbish mate, just means it's not for you. Also, don't Forza, Horizon and DC all have game economies?

Again, subjective. You have no incentive to keep playing, many others do.

But the marketing for Driveclub, whatever that was, didn't stop me from enjoying that game.

A genuine, non-arsey question: do you enjoy anything with 'broken physics'? DriveClub, for example?
Driveclub marketed itself as a pure arcade racer, nothing more.

I don't consider the physics in it broken at all, just far, far looser that they should be. An exaggeration of reality, the basic rules are still being followed, as can be seen if you run it in hardcore mode, which removes all of the artificial assistance.

And yes I love plenty of titles that fall into that class, DC, Without, the entire Burnout series, older Dirt and CM titles for a short list of examples.

I don't consider the physics in it broken at all, just far, far looser that they should be. An exaggeration of reality, the basic rules are still being followed, as can be seen if you run it in hardcore mode, which removes all of the artificial assistance.

And yes I love plenty of titles that fall into that class, DC, Without, the entire Burnout series, older Dirt and CM titles for a short list of examples.

OK, fair enough. Well, each to their own.

I hope you appear in GTS at some point though! I want to race you... :)

Exactly that! GT Sport is marketed as the real simulator and then you can expect we have high expectations about that 'real simulator' and that goes hand in hand with physics, fbb etc and best looking graphics is a very nice bonus. A company/game creates its own image. Yes we're still in beta phase and we have seen a jawdropping trailer. But where is the proofpoint that this will be the real simulator somehwere around/in Fall 2017?

I will be the first one who love to admit I made wrong assumptions but this is not going to be the real driving simulator. I try not to judge too soon. Seeing is believing. My glass is 3/4 full so I still have high expectations for the fall release of GT Sport and my pre order is still in place.

Exactly that! GT Sport is marketed as the real simulator and then you can expect we have high expectations about that 'real simulator' and that goes hand in hand with physics, fbb etc and best looking graphics is a very nice bonus. A company/game creates its own image. Yes we're still in beta phase and we have seen a jawdropping trailer. But where is the proofpoint that this will be the real simulator somehwere around/in Fall 2017?

I will be the first one who love to admit I made wrong assumptions but this is not going to be the real driving simulator. I try not to judge too soon. Seeing is believing. My glass is 3/4 full so I still have high expectations for the fall release of GT Sport and my pre order is still in place.
At this stage I've seen three trailers and of the three it's unfortunate for me to say that GTS is trailing the pack.

PC2 is at the head, FM7 would get me looking at and Xbox X were it not for wheel compatibility issues, but GTS will be picked up for comparison testing and videos alone based on current standing.

I'm also worried by the release window, I've been a Sony beta tester for a decade and have never seen a beta getting core elements changed so dramatically at this stage. This is the period that should see minor tweaks at most, correcting netcode and balancing. Not wholesale changes to the physics and ffb.

I like the play to unlock/progress in a game as well but I do enjoy PCARS for what is does. FM6, FH3, The Crew, Dirt Rally, D4, SLRE, Driveclub, NFS are all games where you need to progress to unlock. I think only AC and PCARS have unlocked all content from the start. Both titles aim/focus at simulation and not the traditional play/unlock gamer system.

The difficulty I have with PCARS and AC is to keep me motivated because of their open system (not the quality of the product itself). It would be nice that if they decide to open all content at default, there would still be some stuff to unlock during the career besides trophies. I am simply a sucker for bonusses and little gems to unlock :lol:

Last edited:
I like the play to unlock/progress in a game as well but I do enjoy PCARS for what is does. FM6, FH3, The Crew, Dirt Rally, D4, SLRE, Driveclub, NFS are all games where you need to progress to unlock. I think only AC and PCARS have unlocked all content from the start.

The difficulty I have with PCARS and AC is to keep me motivated because of their open system (not the quality of the product itself). It would be nice that if they decide to open all content at default, there would still be some stuff to unlock during the career besides trophies.
Well with Dirt Rally you had to earn credits to unlock cars in career mode. So that's the best way to do it imo. Leave cars unlocked for those who want instant access, but lock them in career mode and put some imagination into it.

Finally, I can now have reason to purchase my 1st PS4(Pro) , better go get it while it's in stock, and not Back-ordered this fall.

Sony may see interesting sales data as over 3 million of us worldwide are about to do the same.

I will also be picking up Forza 7 which is being coded first on PC platform.

Thank you Kaz, for another fine production value of a game. Great Trailer, can't wait to get behind the wheel at home again.

For me at least Real =/= Fun

If in real life is fun the in a good simulator (and in a good game) it should be fun too.

Some simulators try to be "real" but they are not fun, sometimes in the physics area, sometimes in the career mode, I agree with you.

The game looks a work of art. So beautiful. Although on replay it looks miles ahead of other game already. I wish they include all those camera angles in the E3 trailer. I will be spending lots and lots of time watching replays. Day/night cycle would be icing on cake. Hope they can do something like driveclub free update later

So question for Kaz, when he says PD has not taken anything away with GTS, they've only added content, what is that relative to? I hope he means GT6, but I wouldn't get your hopes up on that.

And by 'added' does he mean at launch or does he mean by sometime in 2019 through DLC (all the missing 'launch' content in GT6 comes immediately to mind - track editor for example)

why are they not giving us a release date why dont we know all the features this wait is rediculous

I saw it alright. Looks like a slightly tweaked FM6, it still has the lightsource outside of the headlight, which is a dealbreaker for me. It doesn't look that good. GT Sport wins by miles in my opinion.

Oh I know I've been playing the beta for two months now. But chill your nuts man I am entitled to my opinion, I was talking about the trailer, IT looks good. A trailer should be like this. It should build hype. And it did. What you're saying is basically saying to WoW guys "now hold on guys this cinematic intro is NOT how the game will look". It's a d'uh moment really. I've been playing Gran Turismo since the first game, like many others. All intros and trailers was looking better than the final game, but it served its purpose. It built hype. We all loved those games anyway, right?

Lighting is a way ahead in gts and cars blend better to other graphics, but all those reflections and dynamic water in forza looks great.

One thing that I don't believe they showed in the trailer was snow. In the beta we have a option for snow tires. Back when I was a kid I was drifting old 1975 Chevy 4 door Impalas before it was cool. I might have an advantage, lol.

Too bad snow has always been rubbish in GT. Its more like ice with no resistance/weight/cave-in. I know as i have some 20 years of experience driving in finland.. :lol:

Different tyre options alone are not going to resolve the issues with the physics or ffb that GTS has.

I think the problem is mostly in ffb. That bad ffb makes the physics feel bad, as ffb is a major thing in mimicking physics.

I predict it either won't be in the game on launch, or won't be a fully fledged editor on launch.

https://www.gtplanet.net/wp-content...een_LiveryEditorDecal_PS4_E32017-1200x675.png

(cant find how to add a picture in the new mobile site)

GT Sport is marketed as the real simulator and then you can expect we have high expectations about that 'real simulator' and that goes hand in hand with physics, fbb etc and best looking graphics is a very nice bonus.

Marketed yes, but it always has been called that yet it never has been that much of a hc simulator. Just a familiar slogan. :cheers: dont get stuck on that. ;)

Last edited:
Nah screw that fora career mode, throw me straight into a Honda Fit against my will after 15 years of experience in the same game. That's what a good career mode is.

Romanticism can really scue how one views things. Like I've said before, if this GTS came out from an unknown dev with a name unrelated to GT then people on this site would just be saying things how they are.

GT6 had credits, or incentive to play. Problem was there was no incentive to get credits as the game was dire.

Credits aren't needed to keep you playing a game. If they are then the game surely isn't very good. I mean what is the incentive to play when you're in first position half way into the first lap and then the rest of the time you're just thinking "hurry up race, be over"?
There is a solution :)
Remember that extra hidden event where you can use any car then the game will automatically picks cars based on the performance of your car with random 5 circuits by turns one by one ?
It was in GT2 & i think it is unlocked after you clear super license :)
If they bring that back with addition that the higher the car performence you pick the more the race will be difficult with higher cash - it'll be excellent ^^
Plus the more sportsmanship points you gain from the race - the better the cash you get with also a random cars card or coupon prize like they did in GT5 ^^
That way it should help you to be entertained on getting cash X)

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back