Gran Turismo Sport Cross Over To A Real Simulator To Satisfy The Wheel Market

• Thread starter Junkman55
  • 597 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
April_1_Update.jpg
So, I guess Manufacturers Series is still open for pad players then...

(Happy April Fools, everyone! ;))

Regarding the wheel vs pad debate, I can't really see the point of trying to separate players based on whatever peripherals they use. My last FIA race on a pad resulted in victory in my current DR/SR range, and that was largely down to me being comfortable, consistent and patient enough with the Sauber C9 over the full distance. Not having a wheel or full rig does not exclude anyone from being able to learn the skills essential for good racecraft, strategies and racing etiquette.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210324163713.png

I believe Online Racing is growing faster then expected , Who would think that a $20 game could make adults spend Hundreds and some thousands for online racing in GTS . Maybe the gaming software and hardware companies are seeing it as the growth increase for there future . I think the Gaming Consoles makers like Sony and Microsoft have built there next generation consoles almost clone like . Maybe the reason they see ESports will be the next racing they bring into our homes.

I believe Online Racing is growing faster then expected , Who would think that a $20 game could make adults spend Hundreds and some thousands for online racing in GTS . Maybe the gaming software and hardware companies are seeing it as the growth increase for there future . I think the Gaming Consoles makers like Sony and Microsoft have built there next generation consoles almost clone like . Maybe the reason they see ESports will be the next racing they bring into our homes.
Maybe better gamepads are on the way!

Maybe better gamepads are on the way!

I think you are right better game pads are on there way. They might be called Simulator controller pads for racing in Esports .

upload_2021-4-5_9-13-19.jpeg

upload_2021-4-5_9-15-4.jpeg

I was watching Cable TV last night MAVTV channel was surprised to see Simulator Racing with PS4.

Attachments

• upload_2021-4-5_9-17-26.jpeg
    upload_2021-4-5_9-17-26.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I think you are right better game pads are on there way. They might be called Simulator controller pads for racing in Esports .
View attachment 1002404

View attachment 1002405

I was watching Cable TV last night MAVTV channel was surprised to see Simulator Racing with PS4.
Dude can you get a grip with reality already. You don't need a wheel to "Simulate" driving. I've been on a wheel for almost 25 years. I race with people on controllers all the time. Stop with the nonsense.

Dude can you get a grip with reality already. You don't need a wheel to "Simulate" driving. I've been on a wheel for almost 25 years. I race with people on controllers all the time. Stop with the nonsense.
The FFB T500 RS Thrustmaster was unveiled Dec 23, 2010 the cost was $499 it was licensed for PS3 and PC. With my math makes its about ten years three months ago . Maybe you are thinking of Junk Car steering wheel you found and the FFB that you are talking about might be how cool that wheel looks on your wall.

Last edited:
The FFB T500 RS Thrustmaster was unveiled Dec 23, 2010 the cost was $499 it was licensed for PS3 and PC. With my math makes its about ten years three months ago . Maybe you are thinking of Junk Car steering wheel you found and the FFB that you are talking about might be how cool that wheel looks on your wall.
I bought my Logitech Mono in 2004 and it was far from the first wheel available.
As usual you sling out stuff with no idea...

Edit: Microsoft's Sidewinder FF wheel came in 1998.

Last edited:
I bought my Logitech Mono in 2004 and it was far from the first wheel available.
As usual you sling out stuff with no idea...

Edit: Microsoft's Sidewinder FF wheel came in 1998.
I do not think the wheels you are talking about were considered good for building a simulator back in the day. The T500 was the wheel of choice to build an affordable racing Simulator when I was researching for my first wheel 7years ago.

Buddy I've got a closet full of wheels. Do you need some parts? So I guess my Thrustmaster T300 is junk? Along with my pedal set and shifter? I think some meds might help the problem or perhaps some warm milk and cookies.

Last edited:
Hi all I'd just like to chuck this spanner in here that says I own a G29 and I can barely drive and I haven't taken a race seriously since I put the pad down.

Please add a wheel only race D lobby so I can ruin it by wantonly punting everyone because there's nothing about owning a rig that stops me from driving like an utter tosser.

Fact is I got me rig for free off this northern bloke so I can't be a serious racer as I've not spent four figures on it. Since I haven't bankrupted meself on bespoke carbon fibre water bottle mounts, can I really be said to be a true sim racer when I've done nothing monetary to separate myself from the controller playerbase, which as we all know is baby dumb dumb playtime hours?

Pls do let me know how big a cheque I need to properly roleplay as a racing driver in me bedroom, cheers.

Buddy I've got a closet full of wheels. Do you need some parts? So I guess my Thrustmaster T300 is junk? Along with my pedal set and shifter? I think some meds might help the problem or perhaps some warm milk and cookies.
The T300 is good wheel that was my first FFB wheel for my PS4 when it was available.

Hi all I'd just like to chuck this spanner in here that says I own a G29 and I can barely drive and I haven't taken a race seriously since I put the pad down.

Pls do let me know how big a cheque I need to properly roleplay as a racing driver in me bedroom, cheers.

First you need everything on this side:
https://simpsonracing.co.uk/head-and-neck-restraints/hans/

Then you need this:
https://simpsonracing.co.uk/simpson-race-suit-adult-classic-layer-suit-1-piece-sfi-5/

And gloves and shoes too.

Oh, and a seat......

Please add a wheel only race D lobby so I can ruin it by wantonly punting everyone because there's nothing about owning a rig that stops me from driving like an utter tosser.

Fact is I got me rig for free off this northern bloke so I can't be a serious racer as I've not spent four figures on it. Since I haven't bankrupted meself on bespoke carbon fibre water bottle mounts, can I really be said to be a true sim racer when I've done nothing monetary to separate myself from the controller playerbase, which as we all know is baby dumb dumb playtime hours?

Since you already have wheels and pedals, you just need to have spent money now to have titles bestowed.

You can make the check(or cheque, I'm not picky) out to Rotary_Pilot. Minimum 4 figures will earn you the title of Novice Sim Driver. Mid 4 figures gets you to Full Simulator Driver. Upper end will get you to Sim Racer. If you can squeeze into 5 figures, you will get King/Queen/Emperor/Empress of the Simulator Elite. Also comes with complimentary Custom Carbon Fiber Cup Holder*, and racing lessons**

*Custom Carbon Fiber Cup Holder consists of vaguely worded plans to create and mount your own, results vary.
**Racing lessons via various YT links at no charge. Links found via your preferred internet search engine. ISP fees, internet capable devices, and any other associated hardware or software not included. No technical support provided.

Last edited:

Minimum entry fee to become a proper simulator racer is average market value for an RTX 3090 graphics card.

This is as best as I can do

View attachment 1003738

I have no argument with any of that. A real life driver can be better by using the Simulator too.
A real life gamer like you and me might also benefit from sin racing if we go to the track.
I for one have a hard time to drive the proper racing line IRL because I tend to take the bike line instead.
But make no mistake you and I are both gamers.

@Junkman55 , if you got something like the rig in the video below, I'm willing to call you a very serious gamer. In which case, by the way, I don't see why would you waste your time with a game such as GT Sport.

If all you got is a fancy wheel (which is a toy), you are just a peasant, simple gamer, like everybody else here, like it or not. So drop the elitism act and enjoy the game for what it is. Treat the peasants, like myself, who had a Thrustmaster wheel, but sold it because couldn't see the point in it, as a challenge you must overcome every single time. You can pretend everyone else is using the controller and see how many of them you can beat!

You seem to be unconfortable to be called a gamer, a valid definition to a person who enjoys videogames. Well, I can see where this disconfort comes from, and have I got bad news for you: the more you spend on this hobby (as in buying a racing wheel, fancy TV set and whatnot) the more people ready to judge gaming as a childish hobby will define you as a gamer. So, sell the wheel and than you can just point to the console and controller and say "oh, yeah, I play sometimes, but mostly watch Netflix on it". With a goddamn $800 wheel screaming "GAMER!" you can't do that.

I have no argument with any of that. A real life driver can be better by using the Simulator too.
A real life gamer like you and me might also benefit from sin racing if we go to the track.
I for one have a hard time to drive the proper racing line IRL because I tend to take the bike line instead.
But make no mistake you and I are both gamers.
We might be called Gamers by some today. I think in the near future we will be called Sim Drivers because of the simulation of life like software and hardware (wheel setup and sim pad ) we use . The name Gamers will be for the Fantasy Game software we play.

Everything on the consumer market is a game. They're all games. Gran Turismo, game. Project CARS, game. Assetto Corsa, game. iRacing, believe it or not, game. They're simulation video games that portray racing to the consumer in varying aspects and depths, but they're all still games.

In my opinion, everyone trying to say they're not games and something far greater and more righteous needs to curb their self importance. All of these games cut so many corners from real life physics to be even remotely considered an industry-grade simulator, and that's because they have to. The computational power required to calculate and render all of the real life forces exerted on a car throughout a lap is far greater than any normal person can afford.

Additionally, you'll need proprietary data from every single car you hope to have in the game to accurately simulate all of the forces acting on the vehicle. An example of this I learned from my studies are the characteristic curves (the curves of Cx and Cz as related to velocity). The only way you're getting those is to do a full-scale model experiment at a wind tunnel. Either you get those from a manufacturer or team (they won't give them to you), or you pay for a day at the wind tunnel with every single car you want to import (you can't afford it).

Point is this, and this goes way beyond this thread: Stop screeching and accept that they're all just games. Gran Turismo is a game. iRacing is a game. Enjoy them for what they are and stop trying to elevate yourself to a different tier than everyone else because you spent more money. If you like playing with a high-quality wheel good for you. Others are happy with their gamepad and swivel chair and do just fine with them, and that's okay. Live and let live.

A bit of a rant, albeit unintentional, but that's my take on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back