Gran Turismo Sport Cross Over To A Real Simulator To Satisfy The Wheel Market

• Thread starter Junkman55
  • 597 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet that not too long from now steering wheel and pedals will give way to DS4-like controllers in real cars.

I think it’s also harder to talk **** in streamer’s chats while you are actively racing.
I think it's easier. With a wheel you can turn with one hand (with a real car anyway), you need both on controller.

Still pretending to drive with pixels at the end of the day..
This sums it up perfectly. It's a [accessible] video game.

Last edited:
Edit: I do like the suggestion though, for FIA at least splitting the input devices into separate races would give the controller users the opportunity to score points.
Maybe I would give a hoot about Sport Mode and the Gran Turismo FIA Championships if this was the case. If you're using the joystick to steer I've found that tire wear is extra bad. Compound that with no tuning allowed and ridiculous tire wear multipliers and it's simply not worth it for me personally.

To the OP's point though, I do not believe Gran Turismo is the platform of choice if one wants to be an elitist about their hardware setup. The racing leagues I run in at the moment have some really good drivers with expensive wheels and I'm able to keep up with them if not beat them, at least until the tires fall off anyways. Tuning and realistic multipliers keep the extra tire wear manageable for the most part though.

Last edited:
I do like the suggestion though, for FIA at least splitting the input devices into separate races would give the controller users the opportunity to score points.
Thanks, at least that would give us a chance to win occasionally.
I think it’s also harder to talk **** in streamer’s chats while you are actively racing.
Still don't know how he does that.
i thought the only reason you use a DS4 is because it's really difficult to use pedals wearing socks and sandals?
I use socks and shoes. Git Gud @GOTMAXPOWER

Last edited:
It has been a tease driving in GTS as a online Simulator driver, when there is No wheel and pedal race available . Don’t get me wrong DS4 Drivers are good competition. They are not driving a simulator they are Gamers , on a DS4 controller.

A Simulator driver is using hands ,legs, feet and fingers to compete were the Gamer is only using their fingers in the same competition race.

I understand to fill a online race in the 3 daily’s you might need both Gamers and Simulator Drivers to make a field of 12 or more for a line up. What I would like to see is one race from PD where the people who spent thousands to drive their race.

Maybe with the delay of GT7 it is GTS time for PD to experiment to make “The Real Driving Simulator” it advertised in their title for the Simulator Driver to have their race.
You play on a Playstation!

I'm sorry, but if your rig doesn’t cost a million then your wasting everyone's time.

Not even the most po-faced of PC sims put an absurd 'you must use a wheel' limit on its competitors, and frankly nor should any title. Oh and if you think using a wheel makes GTS a 'hardcore' sim all of a sudden, then I have some bad news for you, and even those 'hardcore' sims that cater for a stupidly narrow audience are still video games. Racing simulation is (shock horror) a genre in the video game industry, so hate to break it to you, but you're a gamer as well.

Last edited:
I got insulted the other day, well I think it was an insult???? He said something like "dirty wheel user" and I was laughing so much didn't have time to replay. Some players are obviously using a controller (or drunk) but most people you can't tell. Since some of the best use DS4 I just get annoyed because unlike most driving games I can't blame my performance on not having a wheel.

This is too funny. A sim rig is fun for realism and I completely endorse that, but racing is, in my mind about consistency and adaptability. The ability to hit your braking points, apexes, and throttle modulation, in addition to understanding how to make passes and defend passes (cleanly) while off the optimal race line is what makes people good racers. Not whether they give the (fake) car inputs with a wheel and pedal set or DS4 (motion controlled extra fake T-rex "wheel" for me).

People aren't winning or losing based on their input methods, but their decision making, consistency, and adaptability.

Last edited:

I'm sorry, but if your rig does cost a million then your wasting everyone's time.

Not even the most po-faced of PC sims put an absurd 'you must use a wheel' limit on its competitors, and frankly nor should any title. Oh and if you think using a wheel makes GTS a 'hardcore' sim all of a sudden, then I have some bad news for you, and even those 'hardcore' sims that cater for a stupidly narrow audience are still video games. Racing simulation is (shock horror) a genre in the video game industry, so hate to break it to you, but you're a gamer as well.

What do you suppose would happen if you tried to use a pad for the GT World Tour Competition? As far as I am aware the GT Tour is organized by Polyphony/Sony, the very people who made GTS and they require you to race with a wheel.

What do you suppose would happen if you tried to use a pad for the GT World Tour Competition? As far as I am aware the GT Tour is organized by Polyphony/Sony, the very people who made GTS and they require you to race with a wheel.
And? It's absolutely certain that PD/Sony wants the game to be accessible to as many as possible. It's just a guess but I suspect less than 1% drives with a wheel.

I think PD/Sony assume everyone would want to use the wheel if they had the option. They obviously want to look authentic and equal. And are willing to gift wheels to anyone who qualifies for the Finals. I don't see the issue.

The All Japan U18 Finals had a few pad users.

It has been a tease driving in GTS as a online Simulator driver, when there is No wheel and pedal race available . Don’t get me wrong DS4 Drivers are good competition. They are not driving a simulator they are Gamers , on a DS4 controller.
If you're using a wheel but you're still competing against DS4 users then I've got some bad news for you.

I'm sorry, but if your rig does cost a million then your wasting everyone's time.

The PlayStaion console is the computer that is using software to set up GTS online racing. Money can not be spent to give you an advantage. It also lets you use all of the graphics that GTS has to offer . IRacing and other PC simulator software you will need to spend more money then your competition to turn on those graphics , the three screens and up your FPS. That money spent will give a big advantage.

I would like to see the BOP for one race in the daily’s given to wheel owners only . Let’s make one race a true simulator race with no talk of advantage of DS4 controller and a simulator set up.

By chance if their is a problem filling Ten car lineups , give it a one hour window for practice and qualifying time for one hour of 15min. races . Lets stop guessing where online racing is going and let the market place of Ideas get us there.

The PlayStaion console is the computer that is using software to set up GTS online racing. Money can not be spent to give you an advantage. It also lets you use all of the graphics that GTS has to offer . IRacing and other PC simulator software you will need to spend more money then your competition to turn on those graphics , the three screens and up your FPS. That money spent will give a big advantage.

I would like to see the BOP for one race in the daily’s given to wheel owners only . Let’s make one race a true simulator race with no talk of advantage of DS4 controller and a simulator set up.

By chance if their is a problem filling Ten car lineups , give it a one hour window for practice and qualifying time for one hour of 15min. races . Lets stop guessing where online racing is going and let the market place of Ideas get us there.

What does BoP have anything to do with weather or not someone uses a pad or wheel? BoP is the exact same regardless, it has to do with the cars power/weight, not anything to do with your input device. Also, pad users have no advantage. In fact, the wheels have the advantage if anything does, because we get much better tire wear. If there was a wheels only daily race, you’d be lucky to get a handful of cars per race, the vast majority play this game on a pad. We can barely fill daily races as is with everyone playing.

Last edited:

I don't even know what point you're addressing here.

You've spectacularly avoided every single point raised against your "argument". The trolling isn't even entertaining anymore. Can you come up with something better please?

Hell, you can gain an advantage on a Playstation simply be investing in a solid internet connection, hardwiring it and using a low latency screen!

Do you propose requiring users with this advantage to also be limited as to who they can play against? What about those with a PS4 Pro or PS5, guess they will need to be segregated as well?

I've got a 350mbps connection, my PC and PS4 Pro are both hardwired, I use a 32" curved low-latency gaming monitor that sits right on top of my T300, with T-LCM Load Cell pedals, guess what I, still lose races. The hardware doesn't offer quite the advantage you think it does.

Then again your 4.7 second reaction time might be the issue!

Mine's 255ms which is reasonable for the 50-year-old I am, so either you don't quite understand what a reaction time is, or controller vs. wheel isn't the issue at all.

https://humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

reaction time.jpg

Hate to break it to you, but if you care that much about it being a true simulator race, you're playing the wrong game.

I'm fairly certain given all the data they have access to that Sony are not 'guessing' and see no need to change the set-up, ditto with every other esport series around.

Pad users have got through to the Academy and the World Tour before, they simply have to use a wheel once they get to the events.

Last edited:
The hardware doesn't offer quite the advantage you think it does.
Weellll, you should've been using the Megane Trophy obviously! Steer that wheel and stomp those pedals all you want but you'll never lose a race if you use the same car as everyone else.

I respect both opinions. Seperate rooms for controller and wheel user's would be a nice option. At least try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back