Gran Turismo Sport Cross Over To A Real Simulator To Satisfy The Wheel Market

• Thread starter Junkman55
  • 597 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d never wait for an hour then waste 15 minutes qualifying unless my opponents were only using Fanatec Podium direct drive wheels.
You're joking but I noticed from the some of the streamers who were low A+ with their usual wheels suddenly found a couple of tenths once they got their free Fanatec's. Until then I had not noticed how big the difference between one wheel and a more expensive one was.

Sure, there are fast guys who use pad but I'm sure even they will tell you where it falls short.
Yes, you see quite often people posting that some of the quickest players on the game use pad which all depends on how they're defining quickest, for me quickest means #1 and you don't see controller players there.

I respect both opinions. Seperate rooms for controller and wheel user's would be a nice option. At least try it.

Wheel guy enters...

E332D91A-A317-4253-BB1D-26C4D43A9232.gif

All you see in game is racecars? What’s the difference? Imo you make a niche within a niche within a niche, look around it’s just you and one other guy looking at each other like where did everybody go.
Then when there’s no one to race you have nothing else to do because you’re broke from the spending on the dd wheel. You end up eating ramen noodles reading threads about physics.

@GOTMAXPOWER imagine spending that much dough to buy it yourself, for a few tenths...

Last edited:
You're joking but I noticed from the some of the streamers who were low A+ with their usual wheels suddenly found a couple of tenths once they got their free Fanatec's. Until then I had not noticed how big the difference between one wheel and a more expensive one was.

Yes, you see quite often people posting that some of the quickest players on the game use pad which all depends on how they're defining quickest, for me quickest means #1 and you don't see controller players there.
If you don't mind me asking, have you ever considered getting a wheel?

Because I would really like to beat you while you try to switch. ;)

@GT5Power and Lamb have some word records on the pad I’m pretty sure. 👍

Hell, you can gain an advantage on a Playstation simply be investing in a solid internet connection, hardwiring it and using a low latency screen!

Do you propose requiring users with this advantage to also be limited as to who they can play against? What about those with a PS4 Pro or PS5, guess they will need to be segregated as well?

I've got a 350mbps connection, my PC and PS4 Pro are both hardwired, I use a 32" curved low-latency gaming monitor that sits right on top of my T300, with T-LCM Load Cell pedals, guess what I, still lose races. The hardware doesn't offer quite the advantage you think it does.

Then again your 4.7 second reaction time might be the issue!

Mine's 255ms which is reasonable for the 50-year-old I am, so either you don't quite understand what a reaction time is, or controller vs. wheel isn't the issue at all.

https://humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

View attachment 996724

Hate to break it to you, but if you care that much about it being a true simulator race, you're playing the wrong game.

I'm fairly certain given all the data they have access to that Sony are not 'guessing' and see no need to change the set-up, ditto with every other esport series around.

Pad users have got through to the Academy and the World Tour before, they simply have to use a wheel once they get to the events.
Reaction time...cool. I got 215, 212, 216. I watched Armstrong land on the moon live, so I'm not young. I'm also on a Dell desktop running XP, and our internet here isn't great...

As for DS4 vs wheel, I KNOW that you can get away with things on the DS4 that you can't on a wheel (AD, DS4), but as to laptimes, there are many advantages to a wheel, so I'll call it a wash without tire wear. Ultimately, it's the driver that makes the most difference. Put @GOTMAXPOWER (with his DS4) on most tracks, give me my best car in that class, give him the accepted slowest car in the class on that track, and he'll beat me, probably every time he doesn't throw it away. Sometimes you have to accept someone else is faster. Deal with it, try to figure out what they're doing different, and learn. Learn enough, get fast enough, and you might find some combos where you can compete with guys that are usually faster than you. The 86 as Suzuka this week may be one of those combos for me, so I plan on getting back to A for FIM, where I hope to see some fast guys, wheel or not, in my races, and hopefully in my mirror. Either way, I like to race 'em all.

Anybody up for a Wheel vs DS4 tournament? :cheers:

That could be cool. To make it more "equal" you could run (Q) laps at a given track and have a DS4 and wheel user within a 10th second at every point on the grid, then see where it all ends up. Of course, feelings would be hurt when you get someone that doesn't match up, time wise, with someone with the other control, and gets left out of the race.

We all know Wheel users have an advantage with tirewear on. I reckon I'd leave it off and do two separate combos road cars/Gr3 but if it's really one sided in DS4 favor we could run 3rd combo with tirewear.

Or just turn fuel/tirewear x1 for every race since it's minimal at best.

Just an idea really

@GOTMAXPOWER imagine spending that much dough to buy it yourself, for a few tenths...
It's all relative. If they're rich enough to afford it without breaking the bank then great, people spend crazy money on all kinds of hobbies. When influencers (or in this case, paid spokespeople) are pushing these expensive wheels to their audience for a cut of the profit I think that creates trust issues but that is a different conversation.

If you don't mind me asking, have you ever considered getting a wheel?

Because I would really like to beat you while you try to switch. ;)
I don't really have the room for a full setup like that, they're too noisy to use for the late night stuff too. It's not really practical.

Reaction time...cool. I got 215, 212, 216.
My reaction time was 29 seconds but most of that was trying to get the cookie popup to close :lol:

Put @GOTMAXPOWER (with his DS4) on most tracks, give me my best car in that class, give him the accepted slowest car in the class on that track, and he'll beat me, probably every time he doesn't throw it away.
That reminds me, I hit the back of you at Arnage and then Porsche curves last week (I don't think I cost you any time) but couldn't send a sorry message because of your settings. Sorry!

Matching by input device on GT Sport would be a bad idea. It would invalidate PD’s work to balance them out, which they’ve actually done a very good job at, and the playerbase isn’t big enough to support it anyway.

@GT5Power and Lamb have some word records on the pad I’m pretty sure. 👍
I do :) I’m not sure if Lamb actually went for one while he used the pad, but either way he’s done much more impressive things with it than I have :P

One lap pace can be even between wheel and pad on certain occasions. Tyres are an issue, but get more manageable the faster the car gets. In Gr.1 FIA races, you’ll see the best pad players competing for wins in top split more often than not. :)

Oh, and I’m bringing the pad out again on Saturday for the kart race :sly:

I'll say one thing. Ever since I took the advice of @Groundfish and switched my wheel sensitivity from 360° to AUTomatic, I sweat more when racing. This is very important for those of us who are living in cold places under a lockdown. Advantage wheel

Lol lots of times I’m 60-64F. Hooded sweatshirt on in the dark hood up. It blocks out everything but the TV peripheral view wise. Saves some energy.
Now that you mentioned you did that I’m curious how it’s working out driving wise...

For myself I can’t lie. Of course I’d love to try direct drive, compared to what I’ve used in this game just to see the difference personally.
I guess the ps5 controller adds more haptic feedback too?
To me more feedback about the cars balance and tires grip is always good.

Last edited:
Lol lots of times I’m 60-64F. Hooded sweatshirt on in the dark hood up. It blocks out everything but the TV peripheral view wise. Saves some energy.
Now that you mentioned you did that I’m curious how it’s working out driving wise...

For myself I can’t lie. Of course I’d love to try direct drive, compared to what I’ve used in this game just to see the difference personally.
I guess the ps5 controller adds more haptic feedback too?
To me more feedback about the cars balance and tires grip is always good.
I use a CSL Elite F1 wheel and turned up the in game max torque and force feedback to ten and it was kinda rough. I set back down to 7 and it's great.

AUT was pretty rough at first but it really is so much better for me. I often wondered how people get on the throttle so early but now I'm doing it, too. Well, I still have a ton of work to do but you get the idea. My likelihood of spinning out has been cut down drastically if I get on the throttle earlier than I usually would have because, as you said, there is finer movements at play.

But my shoulders are getting a good work out. Maybe that's Z28's secret.

Btw, I've used the DualSense and its haptic feedback is there but it feels arbitrary when I will feel something and it's usually only on the left side of the controller. We'll have to wait for GT7, I think, to see it's potential.

Last edited:
AUT was pretty rough at first but it really is so much better for me. I often wondered how people get on the throttle so early but now I'm doing it, too. Well, I still have a ton of work to do but you get the idea. My likelihood of spinning out has been cut down drastically if I get on the throttle earlier than I usually would have because, as you said, there is finer movements at play.

Good stuff. Thanks for the feedback :).
Spinning has so much to do for me with steering input.
I tend to be late on the steering when I’m driving poorly. (Not getting max steering angle AT apex but after)
When I’m releasing the wheel windup right from apex through exit is when I can get to full throttle sooner on exit.

Last edited:
Good stuff. Thanks for the feedback :).
Spinning has so much to do for me with steering input.
I tend to be late on the steering when I’m driving poorly. (Not getting max steering angle AT apex but after)
When I’m releasing the wheel windup right from apex through exit is when I can get to full throttle sooner on exit.
Wicked. This is the type of thing I will be actively conscious about while driving. There is certainly more nuance in cornering now than there was when I was using 360° but the best part is that it feels more immersive, which is the primary reason I got the wheel in the first place. A rising DR is just a little bonus.

Why do you differentiate wheel players and pad players. We all are on the same level. It's like saying a disabled real driver can't be considered as a real driver because they can't control their cars in the same way... It’s silly but It’s basically what you said.

There are absolutely NO reasons that PD should give more importance to wheel players over pad players. You seem to want a race only reserved for peolple who play with a wheel, but why? If someone is fast, no matter what he uses, he should be able to play with anyone. And no, playing with a wheel doesen't makes you a "Simulator driver". We still all play a game.

Also, "Simulator" can mean a lot of things. Yes they put this slogan on every GT, but it's just advertisment. Every games tries to say they are the best on their domain. If it's true or not, that's another story...

Here is a another slogan I found from thrustmaster , “T-GT, the ultimate Thrustmaster racing simulator for Gran Turismo Sport and for future Gran Turismo games” . Sony , PD, and Thrustmaster are marketing a Racing Simulator experience. When I tell my friends what I do for fun, I say I have a Racing Simulator in my den. If you tell your friends you have a PlayStation and play games I am ok with that.

Last edited:
Here is a another slogan I found from thrustmaster , “T-GT, the ultimate Thrustmaster racing simulator for Gran Turismo Sport and for future Gran Turismo games” . Sony , PD, and Thrustmaster are marketing a Racing Simulator experience. When I tell my friends what I do for fun, I say I have a Racing Simulator in my den. If you tell your friends you have a PlayStation and play games I am ok with that.

I tell my friends that I drive pretend/digital cars, GT is definitely not a simulator. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back