Gran Turismo Sport delayed to 2017

• Thread starter Pophead
  • 1,859 comments
I just wonder if people are still going to buy it when the core headlines are going to be "Competitive online racing" "E-Sports", "FIA Championships" and "140 cars".

I think the people buying on name alone are not that high.
I'm not a PC gamer, but that reads like a PC game. If I wasn't following the " progress" of this game, as a casual player, I'd skip it on that alone.

I don't have the facts to back it up but I think a heck of a lot of casual buys for a game are still done based on the blurbs on the back of the box, or the online equivalent. In the past for GT games that has been largely the same, collect and race cars in an offline career, hundreds of cars, blah blah blah. I just wonder if people are still going to buy it when the core headlines are going to be "Competitive online racing" "E-Sports", "FIA Championships" and "140 cars".

I don't entirely agree with that Samus. What's on the back of the box may influence a few here and there, but I believe it's the name that brought them to looking at the package in the first place. I think the online focus will only help sell more because being connected is where it is at in the gaming world.

After all, the current console games that are released right now probably all have a similar description in place, yet, none of them are near the 10 million sales number. Only logical explanation I can come up with is the name Gran Turismo.

The thing is, I don't see GT Sport as the game to do it, at least not going off what we know. I don't see it appealing to the mainstream — I see it moving further away, to more of a niche, iRacing-style formula, despite the 7-77 marketing talking point. Maybe I'm wrong, and talk of FIA certification and real-world licenses and eSports events will resonate with the general gaming public. I recognize I'm not really one of them, so I don't know.

All I have to go on out in the real world are the handful of friends I know that have played and enjoyed GT in the past. When I've mentioned the new approach to them, they are never receptive. But that's a very tiny sample size!

The name has recognition, absolutely. And I think GT Sport will be used at electronic shops to sell people on the graphics of PS4 Pro and the new 4K, HDR TV's. But I haven't seen anything that suggests the gameplay will lure people in, in the same way runaway hits like TLOU or GTAV did. As ever though, there's still stuff to be shown...

Gameplay... In my opinion it's the actual gameplay that is stagnant in the sim racing segment as a YouTube video of the 'Ring on GTS, Forza, PC, and AC can easily pass for one another's clip. Sure, lighting, shadows, sounds, etc., may be different to the trained eye, but for others? I feel it's just One more trip around a forested track with a fast red car...

I believe your last paragraph sums it up wonderfully as to why I believe GTS will see genre leading sales marks. I am not convinced that we'll see GT5 levels of demand, but I can see Sport selling 5-6 million.

I don't have the facts to back it up but I think a heck of a lot of casual buys for a game are still done based on the blurbs on the back of the box, or the online equivalent. In the past for GT games that has been largely the same, collect and race cars in an offline career, hundreds of cars, blah blah blah. I just wonder if people are still going to buy it when the core headlines are going to be "Competitive online racing" "E-Sports", "FIA Championships" and "140 cars".

I think that Gt4P and GT5P sales figures (dont know what they are) could be a good indicator of how GTS will sell. I dont think those 2 games sold that many based on its name alone. I'm sure they sold many based on the name but clearly not as many as the full fledged titles.

After all, the current console games that are released right now probably all have a similar description in place, yet, none of them are near the 10 million sales number. Only logical explanation I can come up with is the name Gran Turismo.

It's the combination, IMO. To start with yes, the name alone draws them in, but that isn't enough for 10 million sales.

As above, GT5 Prologue, whilst still selling crazy numbers, didn't come close to the sales of full GT5 and every other full GT game before it. There has to be a reason, and to me the logical answer is that if we imagine 10 million picking up the game and looking at the back/looking at the online description, 5 million put it back down/decided against it when they read how limited in content it was.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue and Gran Turismo 5 both had 'Gran Turismo' printed on the box, yet something compelled ~6 million less to buy that over the full GT5.

I think the only people buying on name alone are the biggest fans, those who would buy anything with the name on, would pre-order Gran Turismo 9 and hand over $60 right now knowing zero about it. The casual fans, whilst drawn to the name, aren't going to buy it on that alone.

You two may very well be correct in your stance. Although Gran Turismo is still the go to name in console sim racing, the brand and genre has been stale. I honestly believe PDI has noticed this as evident of the sweeping changes that they made to their formula. Is it enough? Perhaps.
Sounds like a GT-centric perspective to me. No GT = the genre is stale. Forza Horizon 3, Forza 6, Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, DriveClub, F1 series, and more, all good games released in the last couple of years all offering something different and most offering something outstanding. Excellent gameplay and fun in Dirt Rally, best full premium car selection ever in Forza 6, great FFB in AC, great career mode in PCars and much more. There's more games that are more sim-like than ever on console as well. The genre is anything but stale and, in fact, I'd say it's never been better to be a sim racer than it is right now. GTS offers nothing that can't already be found in any other game except on the graphical side of things and potentially the rating system for online racing but that remains to be seen. From what we've seen so far, it's demonstrably weaker in more than one area compared to most, or maybe all of these games.

Sounds to me like the "jack of all trades" analogy. For each crucial checkbox, there's a game that ticks one of those to an extremely high standard and takes it to a new level, while GTS seems to want to take from all of those games but has failed to build upon and develop any of those checkboxes and surpass any other game in at least one area.

Gran Turismo built sales based on playable demos and good reviews.

Each subsequent game has built on the good feelings of the predecessor.

GT5 broke the link. Crappy GT mode compulsory grinding and levelling,

They created a game ABOUT levelling.

They added online seasonals with a great deal more experience and money than GT mode and then wondered why nobody was playing GT-mode. Classic self fulfilling prophecy.

By GT6 the only players left where the online racers and those of us that thought GT6 would be like GT2 or GT4. I, and I feel most of those will not go near GTS with a barge pole. Once bitten and all that.

That leaves the online racers. All 20% of you. Good job you appear to be getting the game you want, it's a shame there aren't enough of you to generate the sales numbers Sony or PD expect.

Gamers don't generally buy games on the spur of the moment. They cost a significant amount of money these days, it doesn't take long to check online for reviews and feedback on a title you are interested in.

We may be looking at the last GT game ever. Naturally I may be completely wrong. I hope I am. I just don't think I am.

Sounds like a GT-centric perspective to me. No GT = the genre is stale. Forza Horizon 3, Forza 6, Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, DriveClub, F1 series, and more, all good games released in the last couple of years all offering something different and most offering something outstanding. Excellent gameplay and fun in Dirt Rally, best full premium car selection ever in Forza 6, great FFB in AC, great career mode in PCars and much more. There's more games that are more sim-like than ever on console as well. The genre is anything but stale and, in fact, I'd say it's never been better to be a sim racer than it is right now. GTS offers nothing that can't already be found in any other game except on the graphical side of things and potentially the rating system for online racing but that remains to be seen. From what we've seen so far, it's demonstrably weaker in more than one area compared to most, or maybe all of these games.

1 - If you took at as a GT-centric post, that's on you. I even ask the question if what GT Sport is doing enough, so that should more than convey my doubts.

2 - I am sorry, but I just don't share that opinion of yours of believing that us gamers are in some type of mystical golden age of race games.

Driveclub's studio is shut down. Project Cars was crowd funded. Assetto Corsa only appeals to the hardcore. Forza Motorsport is turning into near copy of what GT used to be. Everybody is putting out nice graphics, the same tracks, similar cars, all which can lead to the games looking indistinguishable unless some form of bullet point list is created and "experts" chime in with authoritative knowledge.

I may be completely off base, but none of these games (including Gran Turismo) is setting the world on fire with the tens of millions of known PS4 and XB1 users out there. I mean, if we just focus on the 50 million PS4's out there that have been sold to consumers and compare them to amount of the players actually playing the games, it is easy to notice a problem exists. For example, Driveclub has sold a known 2 million games. What I see is a very low percentage of PS4 users even bothered to play the game. Why?

Driveclub's studio is shut down. Project Cars was crowd funded. Assetto Corsa only appeals to the hardcore. Forza Motorsport is turning into near copy of what GT used to be. Everybody is putting out nice graphics, the same tracks, similar cars, all which can lead to the games looking indistinguishable unless some form of bullet point list is created and "experts" chime in with authoritative knowledge.
It's hard to reinvent the wheel in this genre. There are a good amount of racing games out, plenty of which that focus on different area's, compared to the past years. We have the recent Dirt iteration, which focus on rally. PCars, and AC focusing on the more hardcore aspect of simulation and racing(and apparently GTS). Forza Horizon catering to the more casual side of things with FH3 in a free roam environment, rolling through a similar catagory as NFS. FM6 and GT of the past working as a general car encyclopedia. They all have different strengths and weeknesses, but I don't think we are at a low point, more so rather, it seems to be building the genre rather than going down. Hell, that's not even include a majority of racing games either, just the current most popular.

I think the games are plenty distinguishable, outside of their respective aim. AC, PC, and GTS all seem similar because they have similar focus points. Fm6 and GT-prior are similar to those three, but car selection definitely differs by a standing mile. Dirt is not really similar to any of them. Dirt is not in any way similar outside of the fact that there is cars. FH3(yet not entirely so, as its much broader than AC, and the likes, but doesn't quite reach Fm6 nor GT-prior) and NFS are just the same, they don't share much with the others besides the cars.

I may be completely off base, but none of these games (including Gran Turismo) is setting the world on fire with the tens of millions of known PS4 and XB1 users out there. I mean, if we just focus on the 50 million PS4's out there that have been sold to consumers and compare them to amount of the players actually playing the games, it is easy to notice a problem exists. For example, Driveclub has sold a known 2 million games. What I see is a very low percentage of PS4 users even bothered to play the game. Why?
It's very likely that these games now, and in the future, will never top the charts and be popular like many of the shooters and action games you see on the top of everything. They never will be that popular as they are a very small minority in the gaming community. GT was the only one to reach a high amount of sales like that, and yet that was still not in the thoughts of many people like these other genres are. I don't think a game like this will ever set the world on fire.

The online community of any game is always going to be vastly smaller than the amount of people that outright bought the game. That goes for any game. COD sells so much more than any of these we're talking about, yet if you look at the lobbies and watch the counts, you'll likely only see a couple of hundred-thousands of players at that. That is why I'm of the opinion that this game might not sit well with a lot of people, considering the current lack of offline activities.

1 - If you took at as a GT-centric post, that's on you. I even ask the question if what GT Sport is doing enough, so that should more than convey my doubts.

2 - I am sorry, but I just don't share that opinion of yours of believing that us gamers are in some type of mystical golden age of race games.

I never brought up nor do I care about sales, how the games were funded, whether the studio is still around or anything else. I'm only talking about variety and selecton, nothing mystical about it, and, IMO, from that standpoint, things have never been better for sim racers, on console or pc. The only thing missing from the list is GT and, for what it brings to the genre, it only makes things better.

Unfortunately, there goes my PS4.

I don't enjoy sitting and waiting around for a decent racing game on PS4 when on PC I get Forza 6 Apex, Horizon 3, and then all of the other great games like Arsetto Corsa and Project CARS. I was hoping Sport would keep me entertained while everyone else played Forza 6, but it's just not worth it anymore.

Unfortunately, there goes my PS4.

I don't enjoy sitting and waiting around for a decent racing game on PS4 when on PC I get Forza 6 Apex, Horizon 3, and then all of the other great games like Arsetto Corsa and Project CARS. I was hoping Sport would keep me entertained while everyone else played Forza 6, but it's just not worth it anymore.

Honestly, I don't blame you. As a GT fan, it's aggravating to see all of the competition bringing out stellar games, while you're waiting on information for just one game.

¿quièn es sombra?

Honestly, I don't blame you. As a GT fan, it's aggravating to see all of the competition bringing out stellar games, while you're waiting on information for just one game

Originally I planned on picking up an Xbox One to sit alongside my PS4, but I figured why not just jump to PC?

I do really hope that GT Sport, and in the future GT 7 turns out much better than we expect. I also really hope we don't have to endure the pain that was GT5. The success of GT6 has me hopeful that Sport and 7 turn out stellar.

que tiene la informacion...hola mi hermano...

I do really hope that there is only one game, a proper GT7, whatever it might be called.
The weird thing is. . Kaz threw that "500 cars" comment out there and its never brought up again. Wish Jordan could have asked Kaz on that at some time. Realistically. . if they cant even get the game out with 120 cars, what are the odds we'd see 500 at all?
I hate the fact that PD changes decisions internally without sharing their new directions with us! If they have it as paid DLC, wouldnt that affect the game balancing (considering the Esport focus). Is that 500dlc cars even going to happen?

What's up with tiny lines of Spanish when the AUP states in its first line you're supposed to write in English? :P

It's a reference :P

I do really hope that there is only one game, a proper GT7, whatever it might be called.

It seems like Sport is an eSports focused spinoff. It definitely is looking to have much more content then what a Prologue would have, but it pales in comparison to what you'd expect in a full numbered title.

Whether or not this counts towards our "two per system" count or not, we'll see.

It seems like Sport is an eSports focused spinoff. It definitely is looking to have much more content then what a Prologue would have, but it pales in comparison to what you'd expect in a full numbered title.

Whether or not this counts towards our "two per system" count or not, we'll see.

Except Kaz keeps saying it's not a spin off, he says it's the next mainline GT game and could've been called GT7. This is it, in his eyes. It's the start of a new generation of GT games.

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-sport-could-have-been-called-gt7-sport/

As for the two per system, if they stick to that they're going to be in the same poor position for PS5, the second game would come out around or after that launches and the first title on PS5 would be 3+ years into it. And so the cycle would continue.

At this point in time, 3+ years into the console cycle, there really isn't enough time for two titles. Not with PD speed, or lack of. The second game would have to come out 12-18 months after GT Sport, and that just isn't going to happen. Because PD.

You're missing the point: the "golden age" comment has to do with what's available to us, the consumers. Not whether a studio was shut down, or where the money came from to get another title out the door. In the last (just over) two years alone, we've had the following on consoles:
  • Driveclub (October 2014)
  • The Crew (December 2014)
  • Project CARS (May 2015)
  • F1 2015 (July 2015)
  • Forza Motorsport 6 (September 2015)
  • WRC 5 (October 2015)
  • Need For Speed (November 2015)
  • Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo (January 2016)
  • DiRT Rally (March 2016)
  • F1 2016 (August 2016)
  • Assetto Corsa (August 2016)
  • NASCAR Heat Evolution (September 2016)
  • Forza Horizon 3 (September 2016)
  • WRC 6 (October 2016)
You'll have to forgive me if I find your comment about every game including the same tracks and cars misleading. Driveclub doesn't share tracks, but it actually has a large percentage of cars unique to the genre (or at least, that list above). The Crew, NFS, and Horizon obviously don't share any tracks with other games. Same with DiRT.

Of the ones that do focus on real-world circuits, yeah, there's a fair amount of crossover, which is to be expected to a point. A game touting itself as realistic pretty much has to have the 'Ring these days (and, increasingly, Brands Hatch and Silverstone).

There's also some expected overlap with cars. But again, not as much as you'd expect. A few cars are in just about every modern road-based game (McLaren P1), but I haven't seen as many Super GT cars collected en masse outside of Gran Turismo. No other console game covers Group 5 (or 60's F1, or Formula E, or Can-Am, or V8 Supercars...) as well as FM6. Project CARS has a lock on GT4 and GT3-class racers. Assetto Corsa has a few unique cars (not even looking at the Porsche DLC, which is a huge draw until other devs start getting their hands on it).

I can't remember another time where we've been so spoiled with as many quality options, personally.

IMO, the answer is simply too complicated. There's myriad reasons, likely. Gamer tastes have changed. The public's perception of the automobile has changed. Mobile gaming is huge (it barely existed in the modern way back during GT1-4). Any combination of those reasons, plus any number more, make it an impossible question to answer.

I know a few people who bought GTA V — sometimes, even a PS3 to go along with it — simply because of the hype. That was a social movement of a launch. GT doesn't muster that, it seems (nor do any other racing games). You may be onto something that the GT name alone equals sales. As mentioned, FM6 is practically a modern GT game in all but name (better in most respects, even), but it hasn't even come close to matching GT6's sales figures (no doubt complicated by the comparatively slow-selling XB1).

But GT6 seems to show that the GT name isn't enough to sell a game in massive numbers. It still sold more than any other racing game since, yes... but it sold less than half of what GT5 managed. Over the years, people have blamed that on a variety of reasons too — releasing post-PS4, not being different enough from GT5, etc etc — but we'll never really know. We also don't know if that was actually a blow to PD, since we have no idea what their internal break-even point was. It very well may have been a success to them. Though PD did take far longer to start announcing the game's sales figures than it did with any other title...

if there no news on the new date by Friday i think we have to wait until 2017 for the new date

I'd be very surprised if they would have a date soon when they didn't just two weeks ago at a high profile Sony event, when more people would've noticed it.

I'll be surprised if we get a date before E3 as that's the closest big show I can think of (If that's the case we won't see it in stores until this time next year). Unless of course they do another stand-alone event but I doubt that will happen again until the launch party if there is one.

Well a new date doesn't need to be announced at a big show, but when one is available you would expect them to take advantage of it. Either way whenever a new date is announced I think at the absolute minimum it'll be 5 months before release, to allow for a big promotion drive and build up. I can't see them announcing and launching in a shorter window than that.

GT6 was announced with lots of fanfare and at a special venue. What special place would this next chapter of GT be revealed? At an FiA event such as a GT3 venue(Misano, Nurb, Silverstone)? UK? Europe? Africa? North America? South America? Japan? Malaysia? Australia?

Well a new date doesn't need to be announced at a big show

True, but it would just seem odd to see something like that be announced via something like a blog post (from a first party developer at least).

GT6 was announced with lots of fanfare and at a special venue. What special place would this next chapter of GT be revealed? At an FiA event such as a GT3 venue(Misano, Nurb, Silverstone)? UK? Europe? Africa? North America? South America? Japan? Malaysia? Australia?

How about an arena in London, it would be perf... wait a second.

I can't see Sony forking even more money over for setting up another standalone GT event outside of a launch party.

How about an arena in London, it would be perf... wait a second.

I can't see Sony forking even more money over for setting up another standalone GT event outside of a launch party.

It's a good point. I wouldn't find it hard to believe that there was a million dollars spent on that little marketing push, which turned out to be almost entirely pointless. By the time GTS goes on sale the Copperbox event will be massively out of date.

I can't imagine that Sony is pleased with that. It's one thing to throw big bucks at a marketing campaign, it's another to do so with no real product at the end of the line.

Exactly, the game has already been launched at great cost. They're not going to do any of that again just for a new date, it'll either be as you say, wait for the next big gaming event which is E3, or just randomly announce it and then make sure the promo works and people know about it.

Back