Gran Turismo Sport delayed to 2017

• Thread starter Pophead
  • 1,859 comments
Didn't they release one of the early Gran Turismo games on December the 24th??
GT1 was released in Japan during Christmas. I got my Japanese chipped PS & GT1 around the same time. Norrh America got it around Spring time.

Edit: I'm going to add, I don't expect GT_ to come out before their 20th Anniversary.

If the game comes out in 3-6 months, what would they do for the 20th Anniv? A classic liveries pack? Renault Espace F1 DLC? 0-400m, 0-1000m acceleration & braking test update? EG6 Civic and Corvette GS Special Edition covers?

Last edited:
If the game comes out in 3-6 months, what would they do for the 20th Anniv? A classic liveries pack? Renault Espace F1 DLC? 0-400m, 0-1000m acceleration & braking test update? EG6 Civic and Corvette GS Special Edition covers?

Now that would be perfect. Or if any of the forgotten cars from GT's past came back! (of which there's many). But i guess one can only dream...

GT1 was released in Japan during Christmas. I got my Japanese chipped PS & GT1 around the same time. Norrh America got it around Spring time.

Edit: I'm going to add, I don't expect GT_ to come out before their 20th Anniversary.

The 20th anniversary is in 2018, unless they're going to pretend they didn't celebrate the 15th anniversary in 2013. You can't just change the date you're counting as the start to suit a game release window.

The 20th anniversary is in 2018, unless they're going to pretend they didn't celebrate the 15th anniversary in 2013. You can't just change the date you're counting as the start to suit a game release window.
I didn't change a date. I typed I don't see it coming out before their 20th Anniversary. If they stick to XX/XX/2017, that's on them. What will they do for the Anniversary? It's a missed opportunity with a new game they're putting out. Unless, as the opposite was pointed out, Sony actually do like spending money on PD gala events.

I didn't change a date. I typed I don't see it coming out before their 20th Anniversary. If they stick to XX/XX/2017, that's on them. What will they do for the Anniversary? It's a missed opportunity with a new game they're putting out. Unless, as the opposite was pointed out, Sony actually do like spending money on PD gala events.

When I said 'you' I meant Sony/PD or anyone who is actually releasing products. So you think they'll delay the game to 2018 just to have it as an anniversary release? I don't really see the logic, to be honest. Anniversary events are nice little things but they hardly make a huge difference to anything or affect sales in any noticeable manner.

With that being said sure, there are a ton of things they could do in 2018 to mark the anniversary with the already released GT Sport. Special in-game Events throughout the year, DLC throughout the year of popular content over the 20 years.

This forum's a rubbish place to be thanks to all the whining negative people, just pointing that out. Enjoy your stay in the landfill

Well you're certainly helping to make it a better place. Keep it up.

You think they'd actually delay it ANOTHER year after 2017 just so that they can release a game on an arbitrary anniversary? Just release a GOTY edition or something.

If they release GTS in 2018 it will be even more of a gaming industry in-joke than it already is. At least we had GT5P in the five years between GT4 and GT5.

When I said 'you' I meant Sony/PD or anyone who is actually releasing products. So you think they'll delay the game to 2018 just to have it as an anniversary release? I don't really see the logic, to be honest. Anniversary events are nice little things but they hardly make a huge difference to anything or affect sales in any noticeable manner.

With that being said sure, there are a ton of things they could do in 2018 to mark the anniversary with the already released GT Sport. Special in-game Events throughout the year, DLC throughout the year of popular content over the 20 years.
I searched and found this on the GT website.http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/news/02_0004404.html?t=@2008
Can't remember if there was anything done for GT, as I was preparing to move countries.
http://www.gran-turismo.com/au/products/gt5p/
Who knows what dates they go by. Japanese release or US/EU release
The 10th anniversary of “Gran Turismo” has arrived,
defining a new standard for racing games.

image01.jpg

GT by Citroen appears just after its unveiling at Paris Motor Show.
image02.jpg

Ferrari F2007, the first F1 car in the series.
Creating a new standard for racing games.

10 years have passed since “Gran Turismo” was first created in 1997. This has set the theme for the development of “Gran Turismo 5 Prologue”, which will be released in December 2007.

Last edited:
I searched and found this on the GT website.http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/news/02_0004404.html?t=@2008
Can't remember if there was anything done for GT, as I was preparing to move countries.
http://www.gran-turismo.com/au/products/gt5p/
Who knows what dates they go by. Japanese release or US/EU release

GT6 was sold as a 15th anniversary product in 2013, they can't just change back to the Japanese date and launch a 20th anniversary product in 2017.

Again, I don't even see the importance of launching a game on the anniversary year. It's not like people flock to buy a game just for that reason.

I mean what are you saying, they should now only release a game every five years, on an anniversary? No, that'd be ludicrous. If your game release window coincides with an anniversary it's a happy coincidence, you don't shift a game by an entire year just to make sure it does coincide.

Last edited:
GT6 was sold as a 15th anniversary product in 2013, you can't just change back to the Japanese date and launch a 20th anniversary product in 2017.

Again, I don't even see the importance of launching a game on the anniversary year. It's not like people flock to buy a game just for that reason.

I mean what are you saying, they should now only release a game every five years, on an anniversary? No, that'd be ludicrous. If your game release window coincides with an anniversary it's a happy coincidence, you don't shift a game by an entire year just to make sure it does coincide.
PD shifted the Anniversary year. The website, PD's website, celebrated the 10th year from 1997-2007. Then, PD celebrated the 15th in 2013. If PD releases the game in 2017 as promised(if it released last month, it would technically be an "anniversary" anyway), so be it. If the game gets delayed to 2018, it gets delayed. Won't be the first time.

I only put forth my opinion, after answering a question, about whether an earlier Gran Turismo game released on December 24. I got to buy & play GT1 before its official US & EU release.

GT6 was announced with lots of fanfare and at a special venue. What special place would this next chapter of GT be revealed? At an FiA event such as a GT3 venue(Misano, Nurb, Silverstone)? UK? Europe? Africa? North America? South America? Japan? Malaysia? Australia?
I'll bet we will get news on release, in about let say even before, on March 26 2017. That's were the 2017 Formel1 season starts off in Melbourne. I'll even go as far as that GT Sport could be released on this date. Just a theory, but heck, the FIA thing will be a final with the winner announced alongside F1 winners, so why not start it the same day the F1 starts, what do you think?. A possibility...:cheers:. Merry Christmas everyone, and GTPlanet staff.:)

I'll bet we will get news on release, in about let say even before, on March 26 2017. That's were the 2017 Formel1 season starts off in Melbourne. I'll even go as far as that GT Sport could be released on this date. Just a theory, but heck, the FIA thing will be a final with the winner announced alongside F1 winners, so why not start it the same day the F1 starts, what do you think?. A possibility...:cheers:. Merry Christmas everyone, and GTPlanet staff.:)
It's a reasonable assumption.
But I'm sure you are aware that the FIA covers a broad spectrum of racing, not just F1.
So I'm not convinced GTSport necessarily needs to follow any sort of particular schedule.

For me, I think PD will be aiming for something at the end of 2017, and joining in on the trophy ceremony..
But this is only related as to how long a Championship(s), if that's the right term, that PD (and possibly the FIA) deem necessary.

Where that leaves us regarding a release date is anyone's guess.

PD shifted the Anniversary year. The website, PD's website, celebrated the 10th year from 1997-2007. Then, PD celebrated the 15th in 2013. If PD releases the game in 2017 as promised(if it released last month, it would technically be an "anniversary" anyway), so be it. If the game gets delayed to 2018, it gets delayed. Won't be the first time.

I only put forth my opinion, after answering a question, about whether an earlier Gran Turismo game released on December 24. I got to buy & play GT1 before its official US & EU release.

As did I. Neither of us are right or wrong. Merry Christmas.

I'll bet we will get news on release, in about let say even before, on March 26 2017. That's were the 2017 Formel1 season starts off in Melbourne. I'll even go as far as that GT Sport could be released on this date. Just a theory, but heck, the FIA thing will be a final with the winner announced alongside F1 winners, so why not start it the same day the F1 starts, what do you think?. A possibility...:cheers:.

Not a chance. GTS has no open wheelers and no link to F1. There is specifically a Formula 1 game owned by an entirely separate studio.

Yeah not much chance of that IMO, their association with the FIA is more about the body itself and their basic premise rather than what you might call their 'front end' championships. Not only is F1 not featured in the game, none of their worldwide series are. That's not the kind of tie up they've gone for, it's more the business side of things, rather than trying to actually emulate real FIA championships and events.

That's not the kind of tie up they've gone for, it's more the business side of things, rather than trying to actually emulate real FIA championships and events.

Maybe PoDi did get the memo and finally understood that they suck when it comes to emulating real championships and events. I still remember how hyped we all were when we saw that first GT5 trailer with NASCAR, WRC and SuperGT logos...and then how disappointed we were with how that was handled together with the Top Gear license.

And then we got this:

jeffgordonmeme03.jpg

You think they'd actually delay it ANOTHER year after 2017 just so that they can release a game on an arbitrary anniversary? Just release a GOTY edition or something.

If they release GTS in 2018 it will be even more of a gaming industry in-joke than it already is. At least we had GT5P in the five years between GT4 and GT5.
It's possible they delay the game til Jan-Dec 2018. For an anniversary? Sure. Have Kaz/PD changed their ways of keeping promises? These discussions prove they have not.

There was news we'd get a beta. Was that delayed or just canned until the news of the official Nov release date back in June/July?
That beta would have been some consolation. We didn't get an at home GT Academy demo either. If it wasn't for free entry at the Supercars round, I most likely wouldn't have sampled the build.

Yeah not much chance of that IMO, their association with the FIA is more about the body itself and their basic premise rather than what you might call their 'front end' championships. Not only is F1 not featured in the game, none of their worldwide series are. That's not the kind of tie up they've gone for, it's more the business side of things, rather than trying to actually emulate real FIA championships and events.
You too have not read my writing. It has nothing with F1 to do about. But you too are aware off the end season price, and ceremony with the F1 winners?. Go back and read again.

Back