Gran Turismo Sport delayed to 2017

• Thread starter Pophead
  • 1,859 comments
The release date seems a long way off. Not before June for sure given what they show at every event. Tbh, I don't understand what is their plan. Remain "silent" (nothing really new) until E3 to announce GT7 for a December release?
Or they need more time for GTsport and I have a bad feeling...
Anything is possible with Poly. I mean they keep showing the Tokyo track without any significant changes even if we all say this track is lifeless.
I think Kaz said he wasn't going talk much about the game like in the past. As well as, players would never wait as long for a GT game. Yet, they confirmed a positive release date. Then, delayed the game.

Maybe all the locations are being finalised.

Original release date of last year June? Probably at soonest won't be out until June this year? They must be adding features to take this long to actually release the game? At this point anything said in here is speculation. :(

How does everyone think it will do with sales?

Obviously on a dedicated board like this, there will be loads of us who have had each one since day 1 or had 2 or 3 before so will get as a matter of course.

But what chances does it have compared to the rest of the market?

The realism aspect is interesting but i'm not sure that racing has a following as big as football certainly in the UK, maybe rest of Europe.

Original release date of last year June? Probably at soonest won't be out until June this year? They must be adding features to take this long to actually release the game?

Probably not. They'll never catch up if they start down that slippery slope. Their best bet now is to get a product into the market ASAP and then work on the updated feature version.

I mean, arguably they have no chance of catching up at this point as it is, but the longer they wait the harder they make it on themselves. If they wait until the end of the year they'll be up against Forza 7, and I don't see any way that they compete head to head with that monstrosity. If T10 keep adding content at the same rate as they have been it's going to be the GT4 of this generation.

Probably not. They'll never catch up if they start down that slippery slope. Their best bet now is to get a product into the market ASAP and then work on the updated feature version.

I mean, arguably they have no chance of catching up at this point as it is, but the longer they wait the harder they make it on themselves. If they wait until the end of the year they'll be up against Forza 7, and I don't see any way that they compete head to head with that monstrosity. If T10 keep adding content at the same rate as they have been it's going to be the GT4 of this generation.

PD sure does know how to make people lose interest!

If T10 keep adding content at the same rate as they have been it's going to be the GT4 of this generation.

My mother found my old PS2 hidden somewhere in her basement a few days with a bunch of games, GT4 being one of them. I played it a bit over the weekend with the kids just for old time's sake... It really hasn't aged well. The graphics are not so bad, but the physics really didn't hold up to the test of time. That we all hold GT4 in such high regards still is a testament to just how terrible every other racing game was at the time.

GT4's physics sucked when it was new. It should have been a warning of things to come when PD made such a big deal about how this was the first all new physics engine the series had had since the first game but neglected to mention how it was trying to simulate every car as if it had a snowplow attached.

It was mostly still a very well designed game, though; perhaps the best in the series.

Last edited:
How does everyone think it will do with sales?

Obviously on a dedicated board like this, there will be loads of us who have had each one since day 1 or had 2 or 3 before so will get as a matter of course.

But what chances does it have compared to the rest of the market?

The realism aspect is interesting but i'm not sure that racing has a following as big as football certainly in the UK, maybe rest of Europe.

It will still sell a ton, just because it's GT and the fan base has been waiting for a PS4 GT. By ton I mean it will still sell way more than Forza 7, or any other racing game.

Not much of a single player offline offering or not, it will still sell well.

It was mostly still a very well designed game, though; perhaps the best in the series.

It's probably the best in the series, but even the gameplay hasn't aged well. It has some good concepts, but they're nowhere near a standard that would hold up in a modern game.

On the other hand, I find games with great stories hold up remarkably well. And games like Street Fighter II are still good. Even DotA II is essentially a 15 year old game with pretty graphics (although they're starting to implement more major gameplay changes). And CS:GO is still Counterstrike.

Great games are ones that you can still lose yourself in. GT4 is cute as a look into the past, and it's not totally awful to play. But if you've got any modern racing game there's almost no way that it's a preferable experience.

This game really need to come out already or at least give us some playable demo, I am getting bored of waiting. It doesn't help the fact that they are silence about the delay, no communication, none at all. I haven't played the game yet, and I'm starting to get disappointed. I'm trying to stay positive but they should at least try to update us of what is going on with this game.

probably the announcement of project cars 2 will make something...at least i hope so

A couple of years ago I planned to get a PS4 for Christmas 2016 - originally this was for GT Sport - I had assumed it would have been out a good few months, certainly long enough for all the bugs to have been ironed out and any missing features to have been added.

I went ahead and got a PS4 as planned, but no GT Sport and the more I see and hear of it the more under whelming it becomes.

At Christmas I switched to Project Cars GOTY Edition - and what a revelation - it's a quantum leap above what I was used to from Polyphony Digital. All my friends have now either switched to Project Cars or Assetto Corsa or are in the process of switching and have probably been lost to the GT franchise. I am now far more excited about Project Cars 2 than I ever have been about Gran Turismo Sport and at the current rate of progress I am guessing that PC2 will hit the shelves first.

GT Sport will no doubt sell a lot of copies when it eventually hits the shelves purely because of its name, but PD are now so far behind it is difficult to imagine them ever recovering their position.

A couple of years ago I planned to get a PS4 for Christmas 2016 - originally this was for GT Sport - I had assumed it would have been out a good few months, certainly long enough for all the bugs to have been ironed out and any missing features to have been added.

I went ahead and got a PS4 as planned, but no GT Sport and the more I see and hear of it the more under whelming it becomes.

At Christmas I switched to Project Cars GOTY Edition - and what a revelation - it's a quantum leap above what I was used to from Polyphony Digital. All my friends have now either switched to Project Cars or Assetto Corsa or are in the process of switching and have probably been lost to the GT franchise. I am now far more excited about Project Cars 2 than I ever have been about Gran Turismo Sport and at the current rate of progress I am guessing that PC2 will hit the shelves first.

GT Sport will no doubt sell a lot of copies when it eventually hits the shelves purely because of its name, but PD are now so far behind it is difficult to imagine them ever recovering their position.
cannot agree more...
same here, bought project cars at release date. to be honest at the beggining i was disappointed but after some patches the game is amazing. i m going to buy both of them but i also believe that project will launch first.

I doubt PD will bring back the magic of GT1, to ever be on top(of sales, probably. Best car game, maybe not) again.

It's probably the best in the series, but even the gameplay hasn't aged well. It has some good concepts, but they're nowhere near a standard that would hold up in a modern game.

On the other hand, I find games with great stories hold up remarkably well. And games like Street Fighter II are still good. Even DotA II is essentially a 15 year old game with pretty graphics (although they're starting to implement more major gameplay changes). And CS:GO is still Counterstrike.

Great games are ones that you can still lose yourself in. GT4 is cute as a look into the past, and it's not totally awful to play. But if you've got any modern racing game there's almost no way that it's a preferable experience.
100% 👍
I mentioned somewhere the other day that PD could do a lot of good for fans by remastering and re-releasing GT4 for the latest PS4 system. Imagine GT4 with 2018 graphics and physics. :bowdown:
Can you just imagine that for a second?
ALL those great old tracks
The giant car roster
The small "manufacturer" races
"Special condition" races
The "Mission hall" races....
I'd even stick my neck out and say I prefer the AI in GT4. :eek:
Sure, they sucked a LOT of the time, running into you and so on.....but at least they fought for position at times. If you got passed then messed up, they were right there to re-take the spot......not dropping back to beyond. :indiff:

Apologies for getting side tracked, my vision for this would of course be GT7, I may bypass GTS.

GT4's AI was the worst in the series. It fought for position because it tended to be fielding cars dramatically more powerful than anything stock, and occasionally even more powerful than was actually possible in the game.

This weekend, I've played again GT3 more than 10 years after the last time. And IMO, it's aged very well, much better than GT5 and GT6. For a simple reason, it's a game with cars and doesn't try to be a sim like GT6.
Unpopular opinion : I think the whole focus on sim racing/eSport is killing racing games.

Place. Holder. Date.

Seriously, how freaking hard is it for some people to understand what a placeholder date is? :banghead:
First rule of being on internet forum:
We're nerds. Geeks. Dorks. We know all kinds of stuff about our niche that most people on earth don't. Including what placeholder dates on Amazon are.

It is really frustrating how often people come in and ask though. Hey at least they aren't asking facebook like they were last year. :)

Can we have a rule on the forum where whoever posts another placeholder date gets banned. Seriously, it's getting ridiculous now.
Firstly, you can overlook my post or simply ignore me : "Another possible release date?"
And by the way, I must say it's getting ridiculous how bad the atmosphere is on GTplanet forum with everything GT related. Tbh, the atmosphere was much better pre GT5 era.

Firstly, you can overlook my post or simply ignore me : "Another possible release date?"
And by the way, I must say it's getting ridiculous how bad the atmosphere is on GTplanet forum with everything GT related. Tbh, the atmosphere was much better pre GT5 era.
Yes it was but the mood of the site is sort of linked to the quality of the games. You've been a member long enough to know what posting release dates brings.

Can we have a rule on the forum where whoever posts another placeholder date gets banned? Seriously, it's getting ridiculous now.

No, but we could always institute a system that suspends members that call for the ban of others asking a simple question...

💡

All of us, at one point or another, for whatever reason, were not familiar with the concept of placeholder dates.

Back