Gran Turismo Sport delayed to 2017

• Thread starter Pophead
  • 1,859 comments
They weren't Sony's, but they were Playstation exclusives. That was the discussion, Sony exclusives. Sorry if my wording was unclear.

Horizon Zero, Bloodborne, Last Guardian and TLoU have one game. That's not a franchise. Days Gone and Detroit don't even exist yet. So really it's Uncharted, Infamous, LBP, Killzone, MLB, Gravity Rush and GT.

Maybe that's great to you. I think compared to the days of the PS2 and even the PS3, that's a limited selection at best.

Of course it will. But it's a much hyped system from Nintendo. You wanna sell stuff against that?
They were massive exclusives too along with Pro Evo. Those games, MGS, Tekken, Pro Evo, Track and field, Resi Evil along with GT and Micro Machines were my staple diet. All of those were exclusives (Not sure about MM and TT ). Big reasons to stay loyal to the Sony brand.

Out of those only GT is exclusive to PlayStation and that gets a big Niet from me. Only thing now to tie me to PlayStation is friends lists fortunately for sony, but that's only if i buy into next gen console. I'm seeing less and less reason to with being a racing fan.

They were massive exclusives too along with Pro Evo. Those games, MGS, Tekken, Pro Evo, Track and field, Resi Evil along with GT and Micro Machines were my staple diet. All of those were exclusives (Not sure about MM and TT ). Big reasons to stay loyal to the Sony brand.

Out of those only GT is exclusive to PlayStation and that gets a big Niet from me. Only thing now to tie me to PlayStation is friends lists fortunately for sony, but that's only if i buy into next gen console. I'm seeing less and less reason to with being a racing fan.

Ahem PS4 sales, shows none of that really matters.

The Last of US
Uncharted
Infamous
Little Big planet
Killzone
MLB
Bloodborne
Detroit
Days Gone
Gravity Rush
Horizen Zero Dawn
Last Guardian
GT

Let's see here: Killzone is essentially dead, as Guerrilla Games has been focusing on Horizon Zero Dawn. It has said in interviews that it hasn't ruled out another game in the franchise, but after the last one received middling reviews, I wouldn't count on it, unless HZD similarly tanks. The last game is older than GT6.

LBP3 was a shoddy game compared to the quite excellent LBP2, probably due to Media Molecule moving onto Dreams and handing the franchise to Sumo Digital. Tellingly, it sold quite a lot less. Infamous has similarly flickered out over the years. Rumour has it Sucker Punch is working on a new IP, which I imagine we'll first see at E3 this year.

Detroit and Days Gone aren't even out yet, and @Imari's point was about "brands". These are the starts of new IP's: they're not established Sony brands yet. The Last Guardian almost is (okay, Team Ico), but from what I've seen of reviews, it didn't live up to the hype (which, to be fair, was expected: nothing could after almost a decade of teasing).

I think it's fair to say Uncharted is Sony's biggest "brand" right now, on a global scale. Naughty Dog is also a dev with the closest thing to a blemish-free CV: it's simply gone from strength to strength, and that looks to continue with TLOU2 and the Uncharted 4 expansion. Not even PD has the critical record Naughty Dog has.

Switch conference just ended, its a joke. PS4 will annihilate it.

In terms of power under the hood? Yep. Sales? Almost certainly.

But it will still be the biggest thing in shops the week of release. That's something one wouldn't want to launch a game against, even if there isn't a lot of cross-over shoppers. It's a bit like Fox or Universal scheduling any bigger movie around mid-December; they very much could, but now that Star Wars has planted its flag around there for the near future, it'd be stacking the deck against themselves in terms of publicity against the Mouse House.

This is a great example of moving the goalposts.

As an aside, you'll want to have a re-read of the Acceptable Use Policy, specifically the second bullet point. 👍

But hey anything to discredit exclusives since its blatantly apparent your opinion is quite false.

My opinion is that Sony and Playstation don't have that many active big brands that are actually worth much, either financially or in terms of customer attachment and goodwill. Certainly less than they've had historically.

Now, that may be wrong, but you're hardly disproving the point by throwing out single games, some of which haven't even been released yet.

Ninentdo the ones that just killed the failure called the wiiu, i wouldn't mind competing vs jokes like them actually. Switch 300$ for 1/3rd the power of PS4, good luck ninty you are going to need it. What ever hype they had they just torpedo'd with a really awe full ****** conference.

Good job you're not in sales and marketing, eh? The Switch could be the worst console ever made, but it's still Nintendo and going against it in it's first week when it's had this much hype would be at best foolish. Let them have their moment and then steal the glory once the hubbub dies down.

I've never even owned a Nintendo console, have no intention of buying a Switch, and I still wouldn't put anything up against them in that week. It seems commercially idiotic. Let them sink themselves if they're going to.

Good job that isn't what we were talking about then.

My opinion is that Sony and
Playstation don't have that many active big brands that are actually worth much, either financially or in terms of customer attachment and goodwill. Certainly less than they've had historically.

Now, that may be wrong, but you're hardly disproving the point by throwing out single games, some of which haven't even been released yet.

Good job you're not in sales and marketing, eh? The Switch could be the worst console ever made, but it's still Nintendo and going against it in it's first week when it's had this much hype would be at best foolish. Let them have their moment and then steal the glory once the hubbub dies down.

I've never even owned a Nintendo console, have no intention of buying a Switch, and I still wouldn't put anything up against them in that week. It seems commercially idiotic. Let them sink themselves if they're going to.

Good job that isn't what we were talking about then.

Then your opinion is honestly baseless. Sans Mario, Uncharted and TLOU are the two biggest exclusives right now with most consumer attachment (watch their reveal reactions) high reviews and sales. All the former sony exclusives you mentioned earlier are these days inferior reviewed and inferior sales wise to these two. In fact they are such huge brands with so much consumer love Sony is making them both into movies. But dude if you don't even know that, what the hell are you debating ? Ridge racer really, one console release in last 7 years now a franchise dead on consoles.

And as far as actual worth, what worth are brands to sony that they did not actually own. All the games i mentioned are sony owned Ips. Not just temporary exclusive's.

I didn't even bother mentioning the like of Street fighter V, Ace Combat 7 and Spiderman Nier Yakuza being PS4 exclusives.

And ohh yes, the next 3 freaking Kojima games are all PS4/Sony exclusives. Don't make me lough with mentioning MGS again the way konami is running everything into the ground.

Actually i am, go sale liquors costing thousands of dollars and come talk to me. Then you will actually understand what most of you think you understand.

See Switch and nintendo is irrelevant to the 55 Million PS4 owners that HorizonZD will be marketed and sold to. Since this is a competitive industry and we live in capitalist nations most us us at least. Sony pushing a big hyped exclusive at a time a competitor is dropping a new product is exactly what they should be doing. It would be idiotic for them to just leave Nintendo alone and let then build a user base unopposed.

Should EA avoid Switch and delay Mass Effect, Should Ubisoft Delay Ghost Recon for extra breathing room? SquareNix is dropping Nier March 7th woe be unto them. What some of you are inferring does not happen in this industry as it does with motion pictures.

In fact they are such huge brands with so much consumer love Sony is making them both into movies.

First, The Last of Us seems to have entered development hell right next to Gran Turismo so who knows if we'll ever see either one. Uncharted is having issues well with the person rumored to play Nathan stating he wasn't attached (which is a good thing as Mark Wahlberg sucks).

Secondly, having a movie based on a game means nothing, just look at Assasin's Creed and how that did at the box office (granted it did make a profit, but not much by Hollywood blockbuster standards).

See Switch and nintendo is irrelevant to the 55 Million PS4 owners that HorizonZD will be marketed and sold to.

See, Sony and Microsoft probably thought the same thing about the Wii in 2006 and it bit them in the butt big time. Never underestimate your competition no matter how small they are as you never know when they will launch a sneak attack.

First, The Last of Us seems to have entered development hell right next to Gran Turismo so who knows if we'll ever see either one. Uncharted is having issues well with the person rumored to play Nathan stating he wasn't attached (which is a good thing as Mark Wahlberg sucks).

Secondly, having a movie based on a game means nothing, just look at Assasin's Creed and how that did at the box office (granted it did make a profit, but not much by Hollywood blockbuster standards).

See, Sony and Microsoft probably thought the same thing about the Wii in 2006 and it bit them in the butt big time. Never underestimate your competition no matter how small they are as you never know when they will launch a sneak attack.

First part - And your point is ? Im just show how huge the brand is to warrant such action.

Second - Wii was a fad driven in part by its low price and the high price of the HD twins, it bares little correlation with Sony saleing a game on a 55,000,000 user base in the same time frame new hardware form its competitor is being released.

Second - Wii was a fad driven in part by its low price and the high price of the HD twins, it bares little correlation with Sony saleing a game on a 55,000,000 user base in the same time frame new hardware form its competitor is being released.

Clearly you're not getting my point.

In the (admittedly unlikely) situation where the Switch is a massive hit and sells as well as the Wii it will overshadow whatever game Sony is pushing and it ends up being the video game version of John Carter. It seems much more logical to let Nintendo have their 15-minutes of glory than return to the spotlight.

Anyways, isn't this thread supposed to be about GT? Why are we talking about the Switch which comes out in March? :confused:

Clearly you're not getting my point.

In the (admittedly unlikely) situation where the Switch is a massive hit and sells as well as the Wii it will overshadow whatever game Sony is pushing and it ends up being the video game version of John Carter. It seems much more logical to let Nintendo have their 15-minutes of glory than return to the spotlight.

Anyways, isn't this thread supposed to be about GT? Why are we talking about the Switch which comes out in March? :confused:

It is quite literally impossible for it to over shadow it. 55m PS4 owners don't nor wont care about Switch. Given wiiu's abysmal sales seems few at all care about nintendo.

None else give rats ass about Switch, Not Ea not Ubisoft not Squarenix. Why should Sony ?

As far as GT, 2017 would be nice but 2018 smells right.

Then your opinion is honestly baseless. Sans Mario, Uncharted and TLOU are the two biggest exclusives right now with most consumer attachment (watch their reveal reactions) high reviews and sales.

I didn't say not ANY. I said not MANY. Two big exclusives (from one studio) doesn't change what I'm saying. Sony had more than two big exclusives on PS2.

In fact they are such huge brands with so much consumer love Sony is making them both into movies. But dude if you don't even know that, what the hell are you debating ?

I don't hold the opinion that making a movie of something automatically means that it's valuable. In fact, with video games the movies are generally awful and often seem to be a way of milking the last erg of value out of a franchise before it crashes and burns.

And as far as actual worth, what worth are brands to sony that they did not actually own. All the games i mentioned are sony owned Ips. Not just temporary exclusive's.

They sell Sony's hardware, and by extension make Sony money through encouraging further game sales. Exclusives give consumers reasons to buy one set of hardware over another, which is to Sony's benefit.

I assume you know this.

I didn't even bother mentioning the like of Street fighter V, Ace Combat 7 and Spiderman Nier Yakuza being PS4 exclusives.

These are your valuable exclusives, are they? Hmm.

And ohh yes, the next 3 freaking Kojima games are all PS4/Sony exclusives. Don't make me lough with mentioning MGS again the way konami is running everything into the ground.

Great. We can talk about that then in about ten years once Kojima gets around to releasing the first game, and then maybe in 2035 we can talk about the franchise that has been developed once he releases the second.

Do you notice that a lot of your argument is founded on games that either don't exist or aren't released yet?

Actually i am, go sale liquors costing thousands of dollars and come talk to me. Then you will actually understand what most of you think you understand.

You think selling a few grand worth of booze makes you an expert on sales and marketing?

Nuff said.

See Switch and nintendo is irrelevant to the 55 Million PS4 owners that HorizonZD will be marketed and sold to. Since this is a competitive industry and we live in capitalist nations most us us at least. Sony pushing a big hyped exclusive at a time a competitor is dropping a new product is exactly what they should be doing. It would be idiotic for them to just leave Nintendo alone and let then build a user base unopposed.

Should EA avoid Switch and delay Mass Effect, Should Ubisoft Delay Ghost Recon for extra breathing room? SquareNix is dropping Nier March 7th woe be unto them. What some of you are inferring does not happen in this industry as it does with motion pictures.

You're totally right. There is no overlap at all between PS4 users and potential Switch users. Everyone should just ignore the Switch, because it has it's own little bubble and has no effect on the rest of the industry.

I'm confused. How is the Nintendo Switch relevant to this discussion? I don't care about the potential sales, all I care about is how GT Sport is received. What Nintendo does with the Switch is another issue entirely which can be debated elsewhere.

Some people thought that GTS would get a release announcement this month, for the full game to be released in March.

What else releases in March? The Switch. Despite the two things having very different audiences, it's fair to say that the PR and advertisements for the Switch would greatly overpower those for GTS, and as such, GTS would look as though it is getting no promotion; possibly ending up with it making a lower amount of sales that GT6.

It is absolutely hilarious that these two statements follow immediately after one another.

Some people thought that GTS would get a release announcement this month, for the full game to be released in March.

What else releases in March? The Switch. Despite the two things having very different audiences, it's fair to say that the PR and advertisements for the Switch would greatly overpower those for GTS, and as such, GTS would look as though it is getting no promotion; possibly ending up with it making a lower amount of sales that GT6.
That's still speculation at the moment but yes, the PR for the Switch is fantastic and would most definitely overshadow GT Sport - if it's released in March that is. So, put simply, the PR department for GTS needs to get going.

There was a post about the Nurburgring getting fixed in "the future". That could mean from tomorrow to whenever.
The rest of the tracks are in question.
The game play.
The graphics.
Car list.
3.5 years since GT6, a delay, a year of demos and still doesn't look any closer to a reveal.

Gran Turismo Infinite Sport-fare; The real delay Simulater

Half life 3 will be out by the time GT Sport goes on the shelf. Just when you think Call of Duty couldn't get anymore Infinite... God I hope it doesn't turn out like Fable Legends which never came out.

But in all seriousness, they could at least give us a Beta. Like they originally said they would ages ago but that got cancelled. :boggled: Does anybody have a clue why they would delay a game for so long? Or a GT one anyway. Apart from bug fixes.

Gran Turismo Infinite Sport-fare; The real delay Simulater

Half life 3 will be out by the time GT Sport goes on the shelf. Just when you think Call of Duty couldn't get anymore Infinite... God I hope it doesn't turn out like Fable Legends which never came out.

But in all seriousness, they could at least give us a Beta. Like they originally said they would ages ago but that got cancelled. :boggled: Does anybody have a clue why they would delay a game for so long? Or a GT one anyway. Apart from bug fixes.
Considering the fact that they only showed six tracks, non of which were complete and the fact that a Chinese presser before the delay showed 15 tracks at release instead of 19 they were just behind on assets.

IMHO, PD/Kazu focused to much on the wrong assets... Brand new eSports focused title scapes>tracks. Same old, same old.

Basically why at launch GT6 didn't have B-Spec, Course maker, Sierra, etc but had lunar rover. He does what he wants.

I feel like they're on the same schedule as GT5P. In October 2008, about three years after GT4, GT5P Spec III had six tracks and 76 cars. That seems like about what we're seeing as publically ready for GTS. No doubt PD have more for GTS, but not ready for public exhibition.

I feel like being on the same schedule as GT5 doesn't bode particularly well. That game was not a paragon of refinement and excellence.

You're totally right. There is no overlap at all between PS4 users and potential Switch users. Everyone should just ignore the Switch, because it has it's own little bubble and has no effect on the rest of the industry.

Is is beyond hilarious that your smirky bratty sarcastic post is in essence totally true. Not that you'd know lol.

Quite literally that been Nintendo threw out this entire last gen, stuck in their own bubble selling a pathetic 13m over 5 years. Much of the crux of Nintendo criticism these days is them in their own little bubble and refusal to step out side it. Funny how you said it. But you don't know that cause you have no clue about this industry at all.
I'm out you all are blind and ignorant of this industry.

Is is beyond hilarious that your smirky bratty sarcastic post is in essence totally true. Not that you'd know lol.

Quite literally that been Nintendo threw out this entire last gen, stuck in their own bubble selling a pathetic 13m over 5 years. Much of the crux of Nintendo criticism these days is them in their own little bubble and refusal to step out side it. Funny how you said it. But you don't know that cause you have no clue about this industry at all.
Nintendo Switch

Seriously brah, last couple pages have been about Nintendo's business practices.

This thread is for discussion about GTS' delay and schadenfreude about GTS' delay.

You shouldn't sample your product so much. Then you'd see who that post actually came from.

One concern from PD in the past years has been the track list. We had 20+ which was reasonable in GT5 (2010) but for a 3 year later realise GT6 (2013) there were only 6 new tracks.

This was a huge disappointment for me, given that GT4 had like 20 new tracks which was a 4 year release.

Although, now we are hopefully seeing 20 for GT SPORT. Hope they add some classic.

One concern from PD in the past years has been the track list. We had 20+ which was reasonable in GT5 (2010) but for a 3 year later realise GT6 (2013) there were only 6 new tracks.

This was a huge disappointment for me, given that GT4 had like 20 new tracks which was a 4 year release.

Although, now we are hopefully seeing 20 for GT SPORT. Hope they add some classic.

best case if we are lucky.

proxy.php

The release date seems a long way off. Not before June for sure given what they show at every event. Tbh, I don't understand what is their plan. Remain "silent" (nothing really new) until E3 to announce GT7 for a December release?
Or they need more time for GTsport and I have a bad feeling...
Anything is possible with Poly. I mean they keep showing the Tokyo track without any significant changes even if we all say this track is lifeless.

19 is the original target, not 20. GT6 had 41 locations by the end of the updates, so at best it's going to have half the GT6 tracks at launch. That low number means either a lot of classic tracks are going to not be present or new tracks are going to be 6 or less.

19 is the original target, not 20. GT6 had 41 locations by the end of the updates, so at best it's going to have half the GT6 tracks at launch. That low number means either a lot of classic tracks are going to not be present or new tracks are going to be 6 or less.

I know about the whole 19 tracks thing, I just rounded it.

best case if we are lucky.

proxy.php

And yeah, I remember that one.

How sneaky.

Back