Gran Turismo Sport is Now Twice the Game it Was at Launch

GT Sport was the start of a much needed new era for the franchise. Built upon X86 architecture we won’t be seeing Gran Turismo rebuilt from the ground-up again.

Content creation issues. Complex hardware & development environments. All things of the past.

PS5 must be a dream piece of hardware for PD. The CPU & SSD improvements unlock any previous bottlenecks. While the graphical power on offer allows them to take that final step to full photo realism.

So all in all. Probably the most important GT since the original title.

Perhaps many do not grasp a point, which in my opinion is very evident, namely that GTsport has served PDs to develop an online mode in step with the times (because today virtual eSports are important) and also served to make up for time which they lost to develop on a console with too complex architecture that would be born and died with ps3.
With ps4, in my opinion, they voluntarily made a single smaller and more polished chapter with a focus on eSports to prepare well for the next real GT on ps5 using the GTS as a development bench for their engine and for their new online infrastructure beyond to establish new partnerships for francise.

For me GT7 will be the true sequel to GT4.
All that would be fine if GT Sport wouldn't have turned out to be the only GT game on the PS4. :rolleyes:

The PS4 supposedly easier to develop for, yet one game, a very much smaller game, in the seven year life span of the console. :confused:
I'm just still a bit bemused by the comments along the lines of "only half what it should have been" and comparisions to previous GT games. Surely its not that hard to understand that it wasn't mean to be a replacement for the numbered series, can it ?
If it is not made clear what type of game in was going to be in comparison to what has gone before, yes. The Gran Turismo name carries a lot of reputation for a certain type of game way beyond the the hardcore gamer or 'sim' racer, and so unless it is made abundantly clear in advertising and reviews what type of game GT Sport was going to be, and with a price tag to match, there would be many millions, who would have not have gotten what they expected. I certainly didn't think it was going to be as small a game as it turned out to be before purchase after waiting a few years into the life of the PS4.

Fingers crossed that the next GT game is a game seen as being as good as, or better than the GT prior to GT Sport.

The fact that the game didn't fulfill the expectations of those who just made up or assumed what it'd include instead of actually checking isn't a fault of the game. Pretty sure that all the information was out there - its not like they said it'd have car modding / career mode etc before release and then it was found missing..
Not a fault of the game, but maybe the fault of PD. Information may have been out there, but not 100%, especially when PD are renowned for keeping things close to their chests and not giving away everything they plan to deliver.

ok so we didn't get 273 versions of a skyline or MX-5, how is that PDs fault ?
Who is in charge of the whole thing, and so the number and type of cars if not PD!

Maybe they should have called it Online Racer or anything that wasn't Gran Turismo, might have kept people's fantasies in touch. Then again, I suppose people would just bitch and moan that they made that game and not a new GT...

No doubt when GT7 turns up there will be complaints and moaning about that too, but just like GT Sport it won't mean its a bad game, just that people impose what they think it should be, rather than appreciating what it actually is.
The GT name sells, to many millions, the vast majority of whom will not be following the every detail and rumour garnered before release. If the had called it GT Sport Online, that may have been a more accurate name, and better indication, of what people should have expected to get.

You can mention people bitching and moaning again and again, but the huge negative reaction to what they delivered, because a lot of people did not expect the game to be so 'small', even with all the information you say was out there, that the people who bitched and moaned were so numerous and loud, 'forced' them into adding content to the game they hadn't planned imho. And probably nudged them to add as much content as they have done post release. No game is perfect, and unless people express themselves as as what they like or don't like, games would likely not evolve, and dare I say it, developers fix mistakes. Yvmv. ;)

Sometimes, I'm still amazed that some circuits weren't there at launch, like Monza or Le Mans. And I'm similarly amazed with the new circuits that've been added, like St. Croix or the Sardegna street circuits. It's too bad that the only new real-world circuits were Interlagos and Autopolis, but I won't complain about those circuits, either. I can only imagine what the next GT will bring, just in circuits alone - I'm hoping everything from GTS can be brought forward, but I'd be fine if some were left behind or replaced, like if Northern Isle Speedway was replaced with Indianapolis, alongside the infield configuration.

I'm also looking forward to the next game's campaign, as I thought it was a bit cute that even before GT League was added, there seemed to be little nods to previous campaigns in the Mission Challenge mode; I recall one mission that references "Like the Wind."

No doubt when GT7 turns up there will be complaints and moaning about that too

Especially when we'll realise that offline, single players games are not so much of a thing anymore in 2021 and many yet again will complain about the game heavily leaning towards online multiplayer. Hopefully I'm wrong so we won't have to see the same complaints over and over again.

All that would be fine if GT Sport wouldn't have turned out to be the only GT game on the PS4

I'd be surprised if that won't be the case for PS5 as well. Updates over the air is a much more popular way of shipping software nowadays, instead of doing monolithic releases.

You see, many are complaining about single player and tuning. They don't know about the penalty and SR system. :P

Out of nearly 900K active players a week, only 130K take to sport mode each week. 85% of active players stay out of that mess.
530K players did more than 20 sport races out of 10.4 million, 5%.

So yeah, 95% of players indeed don't know about the penalty and SR system :crazy:

I didn't buy it new because the online mode didn't grab me in beta, where everyone was a noob and plenty of casuals were just enjoying causing mayhem.

By the time it was on sale for £15, GT mode, a handful of tracks and more cars had been added. At this point I already felt it was worth it, and whilst working through the content I dipped into the online races, until one evening there was a Gr4 Maggiore combo and it just clicked, and I sat there rejoining every 20min for a really fun race over and over again.

A couple of years later playing most days and I really feel I got my monies worth, and the fact that PD not only provided a game but a whole series of live events year on year with presenters, commentators, racing drivers collaborating, competitors going for drives with Kaz, its made Gran Turismo more than a game.

Out of nearly 900K active players a week, only 130K take to sport mode each week. 85% of active players stay out of that mess.
530K players did more than 20 sport races out of 10.4 million, 5%.

So yeah, 95% of players indeed don't know about the penalty and SR system :crazy:
A very good point. Often ignored because of the buzz of online play.

I have 1 friend in RL who plays. He doesn't touch Sports Mode (no interest in trying), no interest in PSN friends, doesn't take pictures, watch replays or make liveries. I think GT is a time machine for him, he enjoys the memories of old GT games, he enjoys the old ways. Bottom line though, he enjoys it, I enjoy it even though we play differently.

When I think about players like him, he's has zero interest in online only games like iRacing or rFactor. He looks down on imitators like Forza and NFS. He's GT for life. And there are a lot of people like him out there. But ignored because everyone assumes all racing games have to be online racing against others now.

We do need to keep them in mind. And understand that when it comes to online play, PD will do what they can to get that 95% to try Sports Mode over appeasing the 5% already playing. It's what any company would do with those numbers.

When I think about players like him, he's has zero interest in online only games like iRacing or rFactor. He looks down on imitators like Forza and NFS. He's GT for life. And there are a lot of people like him out there. But ignored because everyone assumes all racing games have to be online racing against others now.

This makes a ton of sense to me.
After playing some of the other games out there I’m learning that while I will always love an online battle, there’s definitely a place for good ai or just plain driving in a single player mode with a sense of progression.
In GTS once you achieve a certain level the lack of challenge of weak ai pushes you into sport mode. I agree with @Pigems that’s by design.
There’s many times tho when I want to play with a bit of challenge but more mellow offline and with the poor ai that’s not possible plus I don’t have vr. Online is dog eat dog. The pen system rewards smashing others, and that’s pushed me into other games more (FLAWED SR DR PEN SYSTEM) and experiencing those games strengths has pulled a lot of time from GTS for me lately. Maybe I come back maybe not. PD and Sony have the resources to fix it, I know they do and if they don’t it won’t be the end of the world to me, plenty of games out there...
Maybe it seems different but I really like dr2 because you have to keep yourself funded repairs cost money, I really enjoy the way they have that setup and you can play without getting punted! I love driving pc2 now, how dynamic it is!

I really understand now tho with that time machine explanation why folks go on about classic GT, and after playing some other games single player can be very rewarding.
Plus, if GTS had that then people like me who look around and try other games maybe wouldn’t have ever learned just how dynamic a driving game can be in an offline mode.
Overall GTS is a huge groundbreaking success for online, but imo if you’re not online racing and don’t have vr, there’s other games out there that are just more engaging for a variety of reasons.

I thought the question was content added since launch.

Let's just list em all.

Fictional:

Alsace
Autodrome Lago Maggiore
Blue Moon Bay Speedway
Broad Bean Raceway
Colorado Springs
Dragon Trail
Fishermans Ranch
KYOTO DRIVING PARK
Northern Isle Speedway
Sardegna
Tokyo Expressway

Added:

Sainte-Croix
Special stage Route X

Real world

Autódromo De Interlagos (new to GT)
Brands Hatch
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit
Nürburgring
Suzuka
Willow Springs

Added:

Autopolis (new to GT)
Catalunya (new to GT)
Fuji
Goodwood (new to GT)
Laguna Seca
Red Bull ring
Spa
Tsukaba

Real world locations dominated the additions, although many of the fictional locations got completely new layouts.

Have you got a link for that?

Gran Turismo Sport is actually going to contain more features than any other game in the series to date. Nothing has been dropped, things have only been added. Whether it be the campaign mode, or the offline gameplay, or the open lobbies, everthing has been raised in quality and there is more of it, so there is nothing to worry about. Nothing has been dropped.
https://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-yamauchi-pre-e3-2017-interview-gt-sport-features-game-series/

Pretty specific right there. He lied about micro transactions too.
By the standards KAZ HIMSELF SET, GT Sport failed.

Last edited:
Gran Turismo Sport is actually going to contain more features than any other game in the series to date. Nothing has been dropped, things have only been added. Whether it be the campaign mode, or the offline gameplay, or the open lobbies, everthing has been raised in quality and there is more of it, so there is nothing to worry about. Nothing has been dropped.
https://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-yamauchi-pre-e3-2017-interview-gt-sport-features-game-series/

Pretty specific right there. He lied about micro transactions too.
By the standards KAZ HIMSELF SET, GT Sport failed.
Wow. I didn't follow the buildup for GTS at all at the time, but I'd have been very pissed about the game when it launched.
If you think about how bad GT League still is, even if it was included at launch, the interview would still have been one big, blatant lie.

I thought the question was content added since launch.

I'm pretty sure that's what we're talking about here, additions to this game. It's not like just because tracks exist in other GT games they can just be transferred over with the click of a button. The topic of this thread is about GT Sport being twice the game it was at launch, and as far as I can tell, that seems true.

edit: also, telling a blatant lie is different from circumstances changing over time. I serioiusly doubt Kaz sat down with the intention of lying to his game's fan base. It's much more likely that they had a lot of other plans that didn't get implemented, and things got implemented that they didn't originally plan for. Perhaps they did originally plan to build up GTS to the point of being a large or larger game with more content than other GT's, but that may have changed due to any number of reasons. Budget, PS5 launch, console restrictions, etc. I'm not going to pretend to know what it's like to be under that kind of pressure and scrutiny.

Last edited:
Especially when we'll realise that offline, single players games are not so much of a thing anymore in 2021 and many yet again will complain about the game heavily leaning towards online multiplayer. Hopefully I'm wrong so we won't have to see the same complaints over and over again.

I could see it being a blend of both expanded singleplayer and expanded online.

Also, I don't know anything about game development, except things can change, and by a lot, so I forgive Kaz for any discrepancies between his statements and what we actually got in GTS. I think it's possible Kaz was really positive about adding those features to GTS, but maybe he and PD ran into some crucial issues late in the development of said features, and had to scrap their integration in GTS, possibly saving it for the next game, especially if it's a PS5 launch title.

I believe this is why a lot of the times I read/watch interviews with game developers, they purposely give cryptic answers to many of the questions they're asked. Because game development, from the little I do understand, can be very volatile. We can't ignore other issues that apply to game development (and indeed, all design-oriented fields) as well, such as scope creep.

Is there time to double the speed of the AI? It seems to simulate my nan on a Sunday drive in the Cotswolds. The AI is so laughably slow I can't imagine why anyone would want to play offline. It looks pretty but there is NO challenge.

And playing on a wheel just feels lifeless. Maybe the PS4 just can't output enough data to make driving feel like driving.

edit: also, telling a blatant lie is different from circumstances changing over time. I serioiusly doubt Kaz sat down with the intention of lying to his game's fan base.
You might be right and it would convert a lie to very very unprofessional behavior but I think it is improbable. The interview is from June 2017, four months before the game launched. It is highly unlikely they changed much about the content in the game in that time. Maybe they were planning for including GT League in the launch version, maybe some cars and tracks that were added via upgrades were planned for launch as well. But I think it is highly unlikely that they were actually planning for things like tuning parts, race car modifications for road cars, single player championships, used car dealers, the classic four fictional tracks, etc. at that point just to push it to some PS5 game in a distant future.

It is obvious they were planning for more, just think about that we had rain tires right from the start. But given how late and unsatisfying rain was implemented in the game, they cannot seriously have thought that it could be part of the launch version with the game in beta testing phase at that point.

[...]By this time the game has done its work, and you are now fully hooked on GTS and it’s Online FIA races.

Obviously this won’t be true for everyone, but I feel like this is the games intended design, to funnel everyone they can into the FIA races. :)
I think you made a great analysis of the game’s initial intentions but there is also a very shorter way to be hooked for many players out there:

- Open the livery editor
- Get stuck in for months

:D

GT Sport was the start of a much needed new era for the franchise. Built upon X86 architecture we won’t be seeing Gran Turismo rebuilt from the ground-up again.

Content creation issues. Complex hardware & development environments. All things of the past.

PS5 must be a dream piece of hardware for PD. The CPU & SSD improvements unlock any previous bottlenecks. While the graphical power on offer allows them to take that final step to full photo realism.

So all in all. Probably the most important GT since the original title.
This is why GT Sport is a necessary evil in my opinion. To fix the issues of the old GT games, PD had to start all over again, which unfortunately meant that a lot of "legacy" content had to be culled. PD had to make some hard decisions to ensure the future of the franchise.

Well, as GTS winds down in preparation for the next game, I narrowed the car list down to some cars that make me glad I purchased the game. There are a few new to the series, I left out(Ford GT '17, Ruf, SF19 and some classics).

EZGCw_hUcAAtc60

EZGEFJXU0AEaXJ8

EZGE7rkU4AEPEs6

EZGFRG9U0AAtVrE

EZGF56DUEAAsabn

Each of these were big surprises to me(even the GT-R '17 - we already had the '14 in GT6). I always say, "PD do surpises well.". I definitely didn't see the Red Pig coming to the game. So, though the car list did jump around a bit since the game's debut. for PD to include some of these icons & gems, they get the handclap gif from me.
004gP8Z.gif

That's rather subjective - what is "a full game", and how is 336 cars and 83 tracks/29 locations* "less content" than one? It's twice as much content as GT3 in terms of cars, and double and triple the content of GT1 in terms of cars and tracks. Were they not "a full game"? What about Assetto Corsa Competizione, which has about a tenth of the number of cars and half the tracks?

Hopefully you can see the issue with using highly subjective terms like that in news headlines. Facts are better.

*For those who classify a location as a track, the three completely different Willow Springs tracks, the two completely different Dragon Trail tracks, the two different (road course, rally stage) tracks at Sardegna, and the two different circuits at the Nurburgring - which can also combine into a third layout - are not tracks. It's a weird distinction to make.

'83 tracks'. No, it has 31 tracks & 83 layouts (even if you like to pretend they're different tracks, i like to use facts, unlike you who just seems to say 'facts are better' without actually speaking factually). There's a difference.

'336 cars'. 30 of which are concept cars & 20 of which are pick-up trucks & 4x4's which the mass audience cares very little for in a racing game. Which is what i was originally trying to say.

Again, i do not 'hate' Gran Turismo in any way. I grew up on it & like parts about Sport. But i have issue with people that are blind to a game's clear faults. I'm not saying people can't love it. But i would take what they say with a grain of salt.

Back