Gran Turismo Sport One Year Later: A Game Transformed (Still Needs Content)

" But the existence of the penalty system does have a noticeable affect on the online experience. Crucially, we’d call it a net benefit." Those are some fighting words for this forum,it's a controversial opinion but it's 100% on the mark,there are still troll drivers,people still brake too late into corners but it's easier to have a clean race or to find people who want to avoid contact compared to other games,the penalty system does have a positive effect in the community reminding people that avoiding contact is a factor in the race.

One thing i love about GTSport is the ability to change brake bias and fuel mapping on the fly,with the addition of pit strategy for Race C and FIA races,it helps to bring you much closer to the driving experience,going fast isn't the only priority.

This comment received a 10 second penalty SR down

" But the existence of the penalty system does have a noticeable affect on the online experience. Crucially, we’d call it a net benefit." Those are some fighting words for this forum,it's a controversial opinion but it's 100% on the mark,there are still troll drivers,people still brake too late into corners but it's easier to have a clean race or to find people who want to avoid contact compared to other games,the penalty system does have a positive effect in the community reminding people that avoiding contact is a factor in the race.

One thing i love about GTSport is the ability to change brake bias and fuel mapping on the fly,with the addition of pit strategy for Race C and FIA races,it helps to bring you much closer to the driving experience,going fast isn't the only priority.

This comment received a 10 second penalty SR down
I would also like if we could know how big the tyre wear is with % like in the F1 games.

It’s very likely this could be the only Gran Turismo on this generation of PlayStation. If that means a highly refined Sport, and a title available closer to the launch of the next-gen console than what we’ve seen on PS3 and PS4, well — isn’t that a major win?
The best choice for Poly. We don't need another GT on PS4 without major new features like dynamic TOD/weather.

I would also like if we could know how big the tyre wear is with % like in the F1 games.

Tidgney one of the FIA world finalists said the game does take into account the temperature of the tires(don't know if that's exclusive to the events) but the HUD isn't built for it,so cold tires affect the car's handling but the HUD doesn't show it,kinda like the hybrid deployment from some Gr1 cars(no bar in the HUD showing it).

I´m quoting what a friend of mine had commented: If PD were run by the real GT fan, we´d have the best GT ever.

Interesting considering the discourse that has gone on for years here that I've seen first hand, says otherwise. Because people who claim to be fans moan one way while the other set of fans moan another. It's catch 22 type of thing for PD where they can't please everyone all the time, and at times seemingly please no one (GT5 release for example). I think GTS is an improvement over where the game was two iterations ago and even the last iteration. Sure it has the quarks of a PD game where they set out to do things in their own weird methods, but nonetheless is a GT game through and through.

I too am one that has had issues with PD and how they've executed but I don't for a moment think that me and all my infinite finite wisdom could actually take what I want and make the best "GT game ever". Especially with fellow fans who are likely not going to agree with me and vice versa. So why your friend thought this as some great idea (not original by the way it's been said), is beyond me. Why you'd share here by extension is further head scratching considering it doesn't actually improve or say anything of note.

Interesting considering the discourse that has gone on for years here that I've seen first hand, says otherwise. Because people who claim to be fans moan one way while the other set of fans moan another. It's catch 22 type of thing for PD where they can't please everyone all the time, and at times seemingly please no one (GT5 release for example). I think GTS is an improvement over where the game was two iterations ago and even the last iteration. Sure it has the quarks of a PD game where they set out to do things in their own weird methods, but nonetheless is a GT game through and through.

I too am one that has had issues with PD and how they've executed but I don't for a moment think that me and all my infinite finite wisdom could actually take what I want and make the best "GT game ever". Especially with fellow fans who are likely not going to agree with me and vice versa. So why your friend thought this as some great idea (not original by the way it's been said), is beyond me. Why you'd share here by extension is further head scratching considering it doesn't actually improve or say anything of note.

Fans are always in disagreement,the threads about the penalty system always have two sides,remember when the penalty system got a update that deemed small contacs a non issue?Some people loved it while others hated it saying it would be griefer heaven,it's madness

Fans are always in disagreement,the threads about the penalty system always have two sides,remember when the penalty system got a update that deemed small contacs a non issue?Some people loved it while others hated it saying it would be griefer heaven,it's madness

Yes I recall and that obviously speaks to the point I am making. A user comes on spouting how if you give the game to the fans, the best version of it will be made, but that's a fallacy, since the fans as I pointed out and you've echoed cant reach a consensus.

GT has evolved over such a period that people like me who started with the first one, are fooling themselves if they expect to relive that exact nostalgia with each subsequent iteration. This game this time is different but still captured some of the nostalgia of racing and having fun, sure there are things I'd like to be able to do and sure GT Life to me is a staple that is missed. However, I also am aware that the world changes and gaming is no different and the days of playing your own single player mode is a dying breed. The move to Esports is logical and doing it in away that is GT to me is good, and improving which is why I can accept the loss of GT life and hope it returns in a more future hybrid GT game.

*When I say loss of GT Mode I mean in the way we've come to know for the past six games.

Tidgney one of the FIA world finalists said the game does take into account the temperature of the tires(don't know if that's exclusive to the events) but the HUD isn't built for it,so cold tires affect the car's handling but the HUD doesn't show it,kinda like the hybrid deployment from some Gr1 cars(no bar in the HUD showing it).
don't even get me started about this things. :lol:

Outside of the addition of the new events, cars and tracks the biggest change to the game for me was VR Time Trial. I spend easily 50% of my game time in VR and that time ratio is actually increasing. Overall, I'm very happy with where the game is one year later.

I too have been playing Gran Turismo from the first GT back in '97 (you'd think I'd be good it by now) and I think
GT Sport is by far the best GT to date despite its shortcomings
I for one don't want to see another GT until the PS5 arrives, all we need now is a lot of new cars and tracks
to complete what is already an excellent game :)

So, to recap...

Glass half full
Glass half empty
Glass twice as big as it needs to be
PD sold us a half a glass at full price.

No doubt most here will be only too happy to give Kaz another $120 each for two more full titles, by which time we should find ourselves playing the hi-res version of GT6.

Which is what we wanted all along!
"What we wanted" = What you wanted.

Very good article! 👍

I must admit I have enjoyed it very much and having been with the game since it started I like the way it has progressed and tried
to improve things over the year to date.

Whilst I still have my viewpoints on Sport mode and it's penalties system I think it has developed me a bit in the year and compared to my
driving last October I am now a much improved product (like the game)

The thing I have liked the most though which I feel I have to mention is the fact PD unlike some other developers have actually made use
of the new content they've added to the game e.g. adding the new tracks into campaign events and circuit so I hope this continues as it
keeps me replaying the career events.

Well, it's pretty obvious that no-one got exactly what they wanted!

But go ahead and tell us all you would hate there'd be 1400+ cars and 41 tracks with 86 layouts...

We'll wait.
Yes i would if the cars didn't have interiors , sounded like complete **** and many of them were needless duplicates (again) , Yes i would if the tracks just looked a bit better instead of being made from scratch and yes i would if GT league was a quest to collect stars ala mario kart (again). Also stop saying we you don't speak of the entire community's behalf.

My recap of GT Sport

Pros:
Nice overall physics
Nice graphics
Livery Editor
Missions are somewhat fun, altho imo could be more challenging
Content is okay, defo could have more tracks tho
Finally good car sounds

Cons:
Very strange AI in GT League, while it works alright in Custom Race mode. Why not just use the same algorithm in both?
No special rewards for completing set of events (only one special car that you can win in the game and it is Safety Car GT-R)
Inconsistency of DWG (beating Nurburgring Track Guide event with all Golds and getting a bloody Suzuki Swift is quite infuriating)
Car upgrade system is too simple (totally fine for BoP'ing race cars since you just need to adjust sliders, but not involving enough for other cars. No parts selection and stuff you had in previous GTs)
Still no Day/Night cycle and no changeable weather (i know PD uses some new light projection stuff in this game, but c'mon, it is 2018, literally every game has Day/Night and weather cycle. Driveclub managed it superbly and it was back in 2014-2015)
Car class system is flawed: only power is counted in. No aerodynamics factor, no weight factor. 2017 GT3 RS and McLaren F1 are immensely OP in their classes due to this. Perf Rating system from GT5 was better IMO
Also, grouping of cars in general. Group C is in Gr.1. BMW i3 is Gr.X for some reason. Vulcan is N800 despite not being a road-legal car and etc.
Some other smaller reasons that i would consider personal, some might find them as pros

Overall: 7/10, but the game can be so much better IMO

Yes i would if the cars didn't have interiors , sounded like complete **** and many of them were needless duplicates (again) , Yes i would if the tracks just looked a bit better instead of being made from scratch and yes i would if GT league was a quest to collect stars ala mario kart (again). Also stop saying we you don't speak of the entire community's behalf.

Er... I'm guessing you had problem reading this?

by which time we should find ourselves playing the hi-res version of GT6.

I'll wait while you try again...

Back