Gran Turismo Sport Reaches 9.5 Million Players

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Feb 1, 2021.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

O604, silverman_GT, dlshearon and 6 others like this.
  2. juanffy18

juanffy18

For some people and me bought the game after the inclusion of the Offline mode and some updates.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    AgentBlackDog likes this.
  3. Baka_Marimo

Baka_Marimo Premium

I wonder how long it would take me to create 500.000 PSN accounts and launch the game once with each of them so that Kaz can say GT Sport has reached 10 million players :dopey:

Jokes aside I think the game will reach that milestone before GT7 hits store shelves. For where I live a quick google search yielded the cheapest copy at less than 15 € including shipping, and that's talking new. Considering all the content that has been added to GT Sport since launch I think that's a good deal. Also from my personal observation the FIA championship coverages on youtube attract a lot of people on a regular basis who are not familiar with the game at all. Couple to that the yet unannounced release date for GT7 (and its obligatory postponement, duh) and GT Sport will probably reach 10 million players, perhaps even not just on paper. I'm saying this however without having seen any data on the growth rate of the playerbase thus far.

deviln3 and barak181 like this.
  4. Brown TE37s

Brown TE37s

Am I part of it?

5. 05XR8

05XR8

Same here. I bought it March '18. I think there was an update that month. So, another bonus for waiting.

Question: If Sony/PD have these total user numbers and numbers for those that participate in Sport Mode, will PD compress Sport Mode into a smaller field.

During FIA, it looks like many people play, but in Daily Races, not so much.

6. Skinny McLean

Skinny McLean

As of now there are exactly 13.412.701 GT Sport accounts, so they aren't just counting accounts.

IXON009, JD_18 and barak181 like this.
  7. ralph89

ralph89

That's pretty impressive for a esport GT. Can't wait for GT7. I'll definitely get a PS5 by then. :D

Auto motors and IXON009 like this.
  8. SomeGamer2021

SomeGamer2021

This is awesome!! I'm happy for Kaz and his team!

9. Sharpie

Sharpie

Sweet.

10. Greatbee

Greatbee

I'm happy for Gran Turismo. This game is a main reason that I own playstation since first model.

dlshearon likes this.
  11. Timm Sheehan

Timm Sheehan

No, I am sorry to say you are the one racer on Earth that was not included. Better luck next time.

12. gigio79

gigio79

Nothing new, GT sport was released in 2017 and during these years has been sold a lot. I still play multyplayer mode and after 4 years servers are full of players anytyime. If you read the history of Gran Turismo saga you will see that it is one of the best selling games in the world. They created GT Tv channel and every year they organize the GT world championship, the most followed and loved event in the videogames world.

dlshearon likes this.
  13. snc

snc

but is it ? I watched fia finals live and around 4k people were watching it, many streamers would make much better results playing random game

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    GingerBredMan likes this.
  14. Milouse

Milouse

There has been a surprising surge in new accounts , like a Christmas echo, since the beginning of this year. Maybe an other lockdown effect in Europe, like in last March?
    Since it takes 8 hours to build this global statistics, i only refresh them once a month now, and last refresh was yesterday.

And they would have to remove ~330,000 demo only accounts from the count.

15. BigJimmy

BigJimmy

0.00001052631%

Brown TE37s and AfraidRacer like this.
  16. Silvio

Silvio

And Gangam style reaches 4 billions view ..... Let"s vote for best crap !!! :banghead:

17. Brown TE37s

Brown TE37s

Aww dang

AfraidRacer and Timm Sheehan like this.
  18. samoht gtx

samoht gtx

Yup.

They took out a load of content. Fewer people bought it. They then put back in some of the missing stuff. And then more people bought it. Not exactly a surprise.

It's not that people are 'put off' by esports per se, more that they didn't see the value in investing in a game that omitted most of the parts they enjoy about GT. Not just the lack of an offline game, but also the lack of ordinary relatable roadgoing cars.

The other relevant factor may be the fact that over the past year, many governments have made almost all pastimes other than videogames illegal, which has probably encouraged more people to come to GT Sport later in its life.

Anyway, the updates have been appreciated and I'm glad we have GT to play, including online gaming, during the current lockdown here in the UK. I'm also very much looking forward to GT7 bringing back a full GT experience, whenever it arrives.

barak181 likes this.
  19. Pigems

Pigems Premium

I wonder if PD realizes that the main reason they are seeing new accounts still is because the penalty system is so bad that nearly every player has at least one Alt account now? :lol:

I’d rather know how many PS4’s have loaded up the game, my PS4 alone has 5 accounts on it, as do many others. I wouldn’t be surprised to see that there was only 5/6 million PS4’s running those 9.5 million accounts.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    05XR8, O604 and barak181 like this.
  20. O604

O604

Likely, but it was also just Christmas. They probably sold a record numbers of GTS, PS4, and PS+ this year. Back in June 2019 they announced 8 million copies sold. Pre-Covid.

Also reading the article I get the sense that PD see participation as more than racing online. Sharing scapes, liveries, etc... can also be considered online engagement.

05XR8 and Pigems like this.
  21. Skinny McLean

Skinny McLean

I think it's safe to say that PD is perfectly aware of the number of alt accounts - GTS, like virtually every modern piece of software, sends usage telemetry (including hardware info, like the serial number of your console/cpu) back to their game analytics server. Also, I think only the most "hard core" players (people like us) actually have more than one account.

9.5 million users, not accounts - which was the point of my post above; there are over 13 million accounts according to PD's own server - if they wanted to inflate the numbers artificially they could have reported the number of accounts.

Timm Sheehan and Pigems like this.
  22. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

IMO, the number of active players is more important (and impressive) than total players. According to kudos GTS is still pulling in around 100k players every week, the same as 25 weeks post release. I don't know any other racing game that has that kind of longevity and number (apart from GTA probably, but that isn't racing in the traditional sense).

Timm Sheehan likes this.