Gran Turismo Sport's Final Official Series - Road to Gran Turismo 7 - Starts February 5

• Thread starter Famine
  • 252 comments

Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
“While the format will be familiar to anyone who’s raced in the FIA Certified series across that past four years, there’s one particular regulation that stands out: tuning is enabled.”

Interesting.

I can't believe there are as many people complaining about open tuning as there is on reddit. The game literally describes in detail what each setting does to effect the car, in either direction of it's change. If you haven't taken any time in the last 4 years to experiment and learn tuning, it's your own fault.

For the one billionth time. I do NOT LIKE tuning. I understand tuning. I'm GOOD at tuning. I qualified 4th in the top split with tuning on. I'm maybe 30th in NA on a good day.

I don't have time nor desire to tune. If I want to tune, I'll go to ACC or iRacing.
You don't like taking a few minutes of time if it means improving the handling of your car?

Also, let's not pretend GT's tuning is anywhere near as complex as iRacing's. GT's tuning menu is elementary school work compared to it, and you can learn how it works in an half hour...

Last edited:
You don't like taking a few minutes of time if it means improving the handling of your car?

Also, let's not pretend GT's tuning is anywhere near as complex as iRacing's. GT's tuning menu is elementary school work compared to it, and you can learn how it works in an half hour...

It's ridiculous and unrealistic. I prefer to drive, not tune. That simple.

Edit: A few minutes will not give you a competitive car. Not even close.

Last edited:
I can't believe there are as many people complaining about open tuning as there is on reddit. The game literally describes in detail what each setting does to effect the car, in either direction of it's change. If you haven't taken any time in the last 4 years to experiment and learn tuning, it's your own fault.
I don't like tuning events, I just want to race. It's either so easy to do that it shouldn't need done or so complicated that you need hours of testing to pick the right car with the right tuning, both don't interest me. Now if it's an odd event I'm happy enough to use someone else's setup, but this event IMPLIES this is going to be something done regularly in GT7. If it is always in FIA and the likes I'll be disappointed and won't enter, if it's in dailies I won't even buy the game.

Oh, you don't like tuning? Fine, go play an arcade game if you just wanna sit down and race. I hear the new Forza is fun.

Tuning is a part of professional racing. Knowing what makes your car handle the corners better is part of being a good driver. Accept it and shut up or take your whining somewhere else.

Most stock tunes in GT are rubbish anyway. With a tuned field, you'll see a lot more diversity in the chosen cars, particularly in the GT classes.

Anyway...good luck everyone, give it your all.

Tuning is a part of professional racing. Knowing what makes your car handle the corners better is part of being a good driver. Accept it and shut up or take your whining somewhere else.
So are black flag and crashing means your done, things I much rather see than tuning. We aren't professional drivers with an experienced pit crew so what do we really know about tuning? You at least are arrogant enough to be a professional driver.
Tuning can make it so the driver doesn't matter and in a driving game that's a bad idea.

I disagree. BoP is still on for these races. You just end up with a meta car with a meta tune.
Yup. That’s why I love using the anti-META. There are some gems that surprised me.

There’s no top prize for those of us that aren’t fast enough. The feeling after having a good race is the best. No matter the finishing position.

I’ll boot up SpacedustDaddy for this. Set up the Atenza like a Super Touring car. Slammed to the ground, -5F/-4R negative camber, inch up the wheels with OZ Super Tourismos, run the Primera or Redstone BTCC livery.

Gr.3 will be the RC F ‘17 or RX-V.

N300. Definitely running the Demio this time. Switched at the last minute to use the 996 at Tsukuba and used the Z8 for the last N300 race. Fun cars. Now, since there are less twisties, the Demio should show its legs(but maybe down the grid after 10 laps :crazy: ). You’ll see me in this:
6437A7A6-E35E-405B-9773-9564A3D962C7.jpeg

Tuning for Nations Cup tuning might take ages, considering the sheer number of cars you would need to test in Gr 3 or 4 for example. However for Manufacturers series it's definitely required to allow tuning... Being restricted to one brand without being able to tune the car to suit each track is ludicrous... My main reason for not participating to be honest...

So my feeling is:

Nations Cup: No Tuning
Manufacturers: Cup Tuning

Tuning for Nations Cup tuning might take ages, considering the sheer number of cars you would need to test in Gr 3 or 4 for example. However for Manufacturers series it's definitely required to allow tuning... Being restricted to one brand without being able to tune the car to suit each track is ludicrous... My main reason for not participating to be honest...

So my feeling is:

Nations Cup: No Tuning
Manufacturers: Cup Tuning
I could go for that too, tuning a car your racing in 5 or so events might be fun and get people into doing it, but doing it for a different car every week is only going to put casual players off.

So are black flag and crashing means your done, things I much rather see than tuning. We aren't professional drivers with an experienced pit crew so what do we really know about tuning? You at least are arrogant enough to be a professional driver.
Tuning can make it so the driver doesn't matter and in a driving game that's a bad idea.
In competitive races, allowing tuning makes sense. Are you gonna tell the FIA all the races in real life should have equally tuned cars? They're all equally tuned in GTS, which makes no sense with the engine and drivetrain layouts. It's unrealistic and makes some cars handle far below their capability.

How am I arrogant? What's the point of having tuning options in the game at all if you're not gonna use them at all? The game is trying to and wants to teach you how cars work, what affects a car's behavior on track, and you're just shoving all that aside. I guess you're playing the wrong game.

Even in real life some cars will be faster than others, are you all forgetting that? It's never a level playing field. Races can never be perfectly balanced unless you all use the same car, but even in F1 the cars are still different and use different tunes.

Just booted up. The GT40 have the top times right now, with an RX 500 P9.

It’d be cool to see the Mustang, Shelby GT350, Cobra, Camaro, Challenger and Super Bee out there.
You and I both know that's because of BoP, not tuning. Let's not pretend otherwise. BoP rarely balances road cars equally enough.

I said this awhile back in the GT7 subforum, but if tuning is coming to GT7's Sport mode, they shouldn't half-*** it. There should be a whole separate 'Tuning Championship' for those that truly want to tune. It only makes sense with the tuning shop and GT Auto returning.

Restrictions: Road cars only, and the only balancing is with PP, tire restrictions, and maybe the drivetrain type.

Tuning would be much more enjoyable for some if you gave players a new PP number to stay below each round, and just let them change whatever they want on their car (of their choice). Some would opt for more horsepower, or maybe some other players would opt to have better handling. Some races would probably look like a 60's British touring car race lol

In competitive races, allowing tuning makes sense. Are you gonna tell the FIA all the races in real life should have equally tuned cars? They're all equally tuned in GTS, which makes no sense with the engine and drivetrain layouts. It's unrealistic and makes some cars handle far below their capability.

How am I arrogant? What's the point of having tuning options in the game at all if you're not gonna use them at all? The game is trying to and wants to teach you how cars work, what affects a car's behavior on track, and you're just shoving all that aside. I guess you're playing the wrong game.

Even in real life some cars will be faster than others, are you all forgetting that? It's never a level playing field. Races can never be perfectly balanced unless you all use the same car, but even in F1 the cars are still different and use different tunes.

You and I both know that's because of BoP, not tuning. Let's not pretend otherwise. BoP rarely balances road cars equally enough.
I only use this to see what players are using. Then, gauge what times my own choices can get close to. I’m usually 1-2 seconds slower than the top time in the same car. Anyway, someone has got something else(RX500) in there. Again, at the Nurb N300 race, people were choosing the GT40, I was in the Z8 which was just as competitive. People just went for what they felt is the META. Same with Tsukuba. I used the Mach1, 365GTB4(did good with that) and finally, the 996. When everyone were in the S-FR. I started P2 in the 996, beat the S-FR off the line and then get bumped wide. Like I said, it doesn’t matter to me, I use the leaderboard as a guide.

Anyway, I thought the M4 or Xbow would be topping the sheets.

1) tuning in gt sport can be opposite to what you can expect in real life
2) main strength of gt sport is easy to jump approach, there are better games if you want to spend hours on tunning like acc
Im not against tuning on as separate mode but all races with tuning on fia is bad decision

snc
1) tuning in gt sport can be opposite to what you can expect in real life
2) main strength of gt sport is easy to jump approach, there are better games if you want to spend hours on tunning like acc
Im not against tuning on as separate mode but all races with tuning on fia is bad decision
1. So is the entire driving model lmao. Yet, that doesn't stop me or you from playing even though we know that. It's not supposed to be the most realistic racing experience, and neither is the tuning. What GT has always done well is provide a 'believable enough, that its still rewarding' experience. Same goes for the tuning aspect of the game.

2. I never said they should be on all races, and I also suggested a separate Championship in another post above.

Last edited:
Interesting to read. Too bad only the Suzuka one sounds appealing for me (Granted, it's also the only one I have a tune for) because to hell with N300 at Tokyo and to hell with anything at Alsace. Racing Karts with randoms at Red Bull Ring is an automatic pass.

Last edited:
What's the point of having tuning options in the game at all if you're not gonna use them at all? The game is trying to and wants to teach you how cars work, what affects a car's behavior on track, and you're just shoving all that aside. I guess you're playing the wrong game.
This has never been true in GT outside of license tests that only teach the fundamentals of driving and are required to pass in most games to progress. GTS and previous games have never made any effort to put tuning at the forefront.

Two laps, quick set up(w/LSD). ABS default.

Super Bee: 2:28.276(oversteer)
Z/28: 2:21.759(stable)
Shelby GT350: 2:21.051(stable)
Challenger: 2:27.524(oversteer)
Mach 1: 2:22.261(mild oversteer)
Demio: 2:28.405( :) )

This has never been true in GT outside of license tests that only teach the fundamentals of driving and are required to pass in most games to progress. GTS and previous games have never made any effort to put tuning at the forefront.
Its an odd one because, since GT1, we’ve been given race cars, racing modification options, guides to explain tuning. We’ve had Tuning Grand Prixs, and basic teaching of car culture. Solo players had to actually read what each part did, when making adjustments. The GT community took care of the rest when online came about.
I feel, in the past, there was more enthusiasm about cars. From that view, many of us knew about tuning and people were learning about it. PD opened up the world JDM cars, to places that didn’t know about them.

I mean, that’s how people learn about tuning. The manufacturer sells the car. The buyer pulls it apart and puts it back together.
PD gave us certain tools. Players experimented and figured it out.

Because you think I can't have my opinion. It also has damage, but that isn't used. Not that's the damage model is any good. Anyway having some tuning events is one thing, the suggestion with this is that we're looking at a lot of tuning. Take the Kart race, everyone has the same car so tuning is not needed. I know this game says it's a sim, but it really isn't. It's sort of sim like arcade and many like the idea of grabbing a car and racing, no need to change things for the car or circuit and you can be reasonably competitive whatever you pick. The best drivers might get something out of tuning events, but most people will lose out because they either won't tune or will tune badly.
It isn't going to teach you how to tune unless they add tutorials on what happens when you change something, for a noob tuner reading the description and then going and changing a few setting is more often going to give you a car that handles worse than standard and you haven't a clue which setting made it worse.

I posted in another thread, but I'll post it here too.

I'd be for more tuners in an FIA manu season if they made it simpler.

I.E. - you get 1 tune per car, per season. You could make an all around tune to use for every round in that season (and an all around tune probably wouldn't be that far off of the standard bop), or if you had a really good tune for a specific round, you could run standard bop during the season, and use that tune for a specific round (and any other round you saw fit).

I don't think coming up with an all around tune would be super difficult since you'd have to make compromises for it to work on all tracks. Heck, it could be a simple as changing Diff settings to cure lift-off oversteer (like I do on the Gr.3 458). Or just a quick search for a tune on here or the internets

Back