Gran Turismo Sport's Final Official Series - Road to Gran Turismo 7 - Starts February 5

• Thread starter Famine
  • 252 comments
Well I am nothing short of amazed with this unexpected turn of events. I haven't entered a tournament event since 2019 and have been getting creamed in the Dailies the last few weeks since coming back to the game after a two year hiatus. The Dailies dropped me from a steady low A to a high B very quickly. Needless to say my motivation and confidence were low going into this, especially given the tuning and the fact that I was determined to bring my beloved WRX to Suzuka. I did manage to claw myself back to A last week with a couple good races in Daily B. But that ended up putting me on an all A/S room tonight. So I was ready to get creamed again.

Qualified 2nd despite a scrappy first lap and crashing on my second lap. Got off the line good with no incidents on the mediums. I did eight laps with them, pitted for hards and did two laps on those totally alone on track with 8s gaps both ahead and behind. Did the final six laps with softs and came home 2nd, 4.5 seconds behind the winner who I think was on the same strategy.

I bagged 159 points and got a healthy injection of 1400 DR points. I am very pleased with this unexpected result.

A shout out to @Sven Jurgens who was there doing his classic "no qualy start from the back" routine.

I had forgotten how enjoyable (and nerve-racking) these events were!

DSC_2707.JPG

So the race came, entered the 3rd slot as #5 (but with no actual number on the car). Qualifying went good as I got 4th and the standing start wasn't as bad as I expected, only lost one position but for the first time I actually managed not to go off in the first corner so that went well. The White Viper that got by me made a mistake and I got by to 4th and then 3rd when one of the cars came in on lap 4. Came in on lap 7 and got off the Hards to Mediums, continued to have a very decent run and actually began to make up time a few tenths a lap. Cars in front came in on lap 11 so I made sure my in-lap was as good as possible and I actually cut down time before I pit in on lap 12 for Softs. Managed to come out in 2nd (with 3rd going off behind me) and the leader was just having a handful, which allowed me to make up those 3 seconds for the rest of that lap. I could've gotten by in 130R but did not want to force him off so I want to pass him elsewhere. Unexpectedly, he just let me by through the esses and from that point on, my 30th and final Sport Mode win was sealed.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20220212193451.png

Last edited:
Road to Gran Turimso 7 - Round 2
Suzuka - GR3 - Aston Martin DBR9
Lobby mixture A+/S and A/S

I was expecting a poor race the way practice started on Thursday. No one could stay on track, lol. But, after a little time and tweaking the tunes, folks started to lap better. By today, seems most got it down because I didn't get a single Greddy Pass! Which is odd at Suzuka. I had, nothing short of a great race. Not a ton of passing or great moves, just 16 laps trying to figure out how to get the guy in front of me. Finished with a P4 and 227 points. My best overall time of the week with a 32:17.xxx. So, I was real happy with my effort and the clean racing of those around me. Then, after the race I learned I had copied Doods toe wrong. I had 0.50 instead of 0.05. Ooops. LOL.

Round 2 of the "Road To GT7" events @ Suzuka with the Gr.3 cars
First slot - A/S lobby

I always loved a little challenge and having to race at Suzuka with tuning allowed, all three tire compounds to use and time of day set at "dawn" was a pretty big one. Not to mention that seeing the DBR reign supreme over there made me kind of nervous. I had a decent practice time with it (worth mentioning - 1:56.000 :)), but my custom race practices weren't so great. It was a lot of struggling as I had around 7 different setups and none of 'em would work... Tuning has always been a weak point for my part in GTS.

This resulted in testing a bunch of different cars throughout the week to see which one I was the most comfy/fast with. To my surprise, the Lancer did very good with a bit of gear tuning. I decided to go that way, still unsure if it could fight the META properly in a race though...

Welcomed by around 15 other Dbr's in the lobby, I had serious doubts on my choice at this point.

First lap of quali wasn't so great, a bad first corner + bad hairpin exit resulted in a 9th place.
Second lap was a great one - I nailed a 1:56.7 by using slipstream for half the lap. This put me in 4th position, way higher than expected. Thanks to the slower ones letting me pass, I wont forget that!

- Getting stuck behind slowpokes is no jokes for fast folks, and no mistakes leads to a great race pace. With those wise words in mind, I was a little more confident about the outcome of this event. The stress factor also went down a bit seeing familiar names on the track. Shout out to you guys! :)

Lights went out and away we went. By the end of lap one I was in third position. My strategy was S-M-H, in order to escape the pack of wolves as much as possible right from the start. Pitted at the end of lap 5, with a good lead on the guy behind.
Medium stint was okay but I believe this is where most of my time was lost; had no slipstream bud to hang with and pitting at the end of lap 13 was a lap too late for me after revision. Got back on the track and finished the race in 4th position, around eight sec behind the podium. Mission accomplished still. Yay!😃

Very pleased with the 180+ points gained tonight, I don't think I could've done better. Thanks to all the clean racers involved, it was a challenging but very fun one, much more than expected. 'Till next time friends, stay safe! - AstroVex92

Road2GT72.png

- Lancer The Dancer

I managed to redeem myself in slot 2, with decent enough Q8. By turn 2, I was up to 5th and had a trouble free run from there. I think the strategy of 9M 6S 1H worked out fine as I brought it home in P4 for a cool 177 points and 900 DR. Had a great scrap at the end with 2nd, 3rd and me covered by less than a second at the line. First place had checked out and won by 15 seconds.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20220212190909.jpg
20220213011116.jpg

I’m only able to do this season on my NA Alt as I’m not home for the Oceania slots.

A power outage at my place meant I had to enter slot 2 in the DBR9. Used Dood’s tune with a small tweak to help with stability. The lobby loaded, I was door 20 and who should I find but everyone’s favourite Portuguese driver’s Alt. First time I’ve come across him in a race.

Qualy was very good and I managed Q3 with my first lap.

Decided to run 8m1h7s. Got a good solid start but T1 was very bumpy and whilst I stayed on track, I lost 3 spots to the cars that simply threw it up the inside. I got a place back when one of them lost it on exit. Things ran smoothly for 3 laps in p5 and then I got a run on p4 out of Spoon and pulled alongside on the outside towards 130R. Being vulnerable I lifted to let him go but he inexplicably decided to bump me wide anyway and I ended up in the run off. No spin, but the lost momentum and dirty tyres saw me lose another 3 places and put the Portuguese menace behind me.

I let him go by down the straight but he still tried to run me off at T1. I held on and he proceeded to be very slow through the esses and take every opportunity to try and bump me off. I stayed calm and took the inside on the run to Degner 1 and, as we entered side by side, I helped him through the corner. Unfortunately it seems he couldn’t make the most of my assistance and ended up in the sand.

I was p4 by the time I pitted for mediums and then P8 once I had put the softs on. A few more laps and people pitting and I was p6 with 2 cars right behind me. Still p6 on lap 14 I was eyeing p5 a couple of seconds ahead but then p7 decided to dive into Spoon and sideswiped me off. Back down to P8 and now 2 seconds behind p7. By the end of lap 15 I had p7 back and as I entered Spoon for the last time I was 1.2 seconds behind the bomber. Alas I couldn’t quite catch him by the SF line and so finished p7 for 185 points.

Actually a really enjoyable race despite the shenanigans.

- Getting stuck behind slowpokes is no jokes for fast folks, and no mistakes leads to a great race pace.
HAHAHA, I like it. Nice job in the Mitsu. We had an Alfa 4C in our lobby which I also thought was pretty bold. I'm pretty much a grazing animal when it comes the meta car. lol

I'm going to skip the karts. Feeling too lazy to set the wheel up for it, practice all week and set it back. Looking forward to the Gr.4 race.

BTW - Anyone have pass for the actual kart track? :sly: That would be fun to try. It's like right there at turn 1. You can see part of the circuit in the top right.

Kart_Track_Luftbild_2021_cProjektSpielberg.jpg

I'm going to skip the karts. Feeling too lazy to set the wheel up for it, practice all week and set it back. Looking forward to the Gr.4 race.

BTW - Anyone have pass for the actual kart track? :sly: That would be fun to try. It's like right there at turn 1. You can see part of the circuit in the top right.

Kart_Track_Luftbild_2021_cProjektSpielberg.jpg
Not enough turns for me :lol:

I'm going to have a go at the kart race, but I'll just go back to the HHC and not bother messing with my wheel settings. I feel I have a good setup for the gear ratios (for me, the key is setting it up so you can go through most of turn 2 on the rev limiter in 3rd gear so it's a bit more stable....). My optimal lap is now a 53.0, but I haven't managed to put it all together yet.... (and I'm not sure I'll be brave enough to run TC0 in the race...)

The one thing I've noticed from the Round 3 practice lobbies I've been in is that all of them have had tyre wear disabled. I tried creating a new lobby to see if you can enable that setting in-game, but with no success. Tyre and fuel multipliers are both locked out whenever you select 'Kart Usage' in the Event Settings menu. Same is true whenever you try to set up a custom kart race in Arcade Mode.

Turning off 'Kart Usage' in lobby settings unlocks both multipliers, but attempting to enter a lobby race with the kart in this state will flag up a 'Regulation Violation' and force me to pick another vehicle.

I have no idea how things will pan out in the actual race if the game doesn't allow you to test the 10x multipliers on a kart. Considering that the kart's handling is already highly sensitive as it is with no multipliers whatsoever, I can imagine a lot of players (including myself) getting caught out massively once they start to kick in...

Last edited:
The one thing I've noticed from the Round 3 practice lobbies I've been in is that all of them have had tyre wear disabled. I tried creating a new lobby to see if you can enable that setting in-game, but with no success. Tyre and fuel multipliers are both locked out whenever you select 'Kart Usage' in the Event Settings menu. Same is true whenever you try to set up a custom kart race in Arcade Mode.

Turning off 'Kart Usage' in lobby settings unlocks both multipliers, but attempting to enter a lobby race with the kart in this state will flag up a 'Regulation Violation' and force me to pick another vehicle.

I have no idea how things will pan out in the actual race if the game doesn't allow you to test the 10x multipliers on a kart. Considering that the kart's handling is already highly sensitive as it is with no multipliers whatsoever, I can imagine a lot of players (including myself) getting caught out massively once they start to kick in...
10x is hardly a problem in the karts

Since it's sport tires, I don't think it'll be that bad...I hope...I've no idea...

On another note, I'm curious to see what car will be the fastest around Alsace. I managed a sub-2 minute time in the SLS, but haven't had the time to tune and try other cars yet.

On another note, I'm curious to see what car will be the fastest around Alsace. I managed a sub-2 minute time in the SLS, but haven't had the time to tune and try other cars yet.
FFs will dominate most likely based on previous races here. Those uphill sections really favour their power to weight ratio and the tyre wear is basically nonexistent. I was initially going to use the RCF, but then tested the TT and instantly went 1 second quicker, it's not even a contest.

Word of warning for the kart race: cold tires

They're gonna feel even more unstable.

A tip for T1, there's some sort of bump mid-way through the corner, you can use the throttle to turn the kart into the corner, but I had to lift slightly over that bump otherwise it sends me spinning. It's a tricky one, it's where most of the time is. Power into the corners turns the car, but don't overdo the steering angle, you'll end up holding it almost straight through some corners.

View attachment 1115457Outqualifying @VulcanSpirit might be my biggest achievement in this game. We'll not talk about the race.
Excellent stuff, @stpatty. 👍 I really struggled to get a groove in qualifying, though my best simulated lap (a 53:828) would've probably only been good for 12th at best.

I'm just happy to have survived that lobby. More on that later...

To my misfortune, I ended up in top split. Even with a quali time of 53.1xx I ended up starting 14th, and ended up in 15th after a crash and many penalties. Bummer.

Didn't lose too much DR, to my surprise... Maybe it wasn't top split. 375 points were up for grabs.

2nd slot turned out much better. Although quali didn't go so well, I managed to finish in 4th and gain extra points over round 1. 263.

Also, this just happened for some bizarre reason...

self recommend.png

After all that, 27th in the region so far. :eek:

Last edited:
So, here they are... what are almost certain to be my final two championship races in GT Sport as I suspect Alsace will end up being a repeat of Suzuka. Myself and the shifter kart don't usually go hand-in-hand if you remember my Nations Cup write-ups, or the last time I tried to get good in a karting lobby. Rarely have I been able to complete an entire race in one of these without sending it to the shadow realm, especially before I figured out that the best way to handle it with motion steering was to wind controller sensitivity down to -2 and only slightly tilt the DS4 to where I wanted it to go. This week, however, marked a turning point. The point in which I finally knuckled down and hammered in consistent laps in the high-53 and low-54 ranges. After a while, my best Free Practice lap was a 53.395, which made me more confident about bagging a decent result providing that I kept it cool and consistent.

This round was also meant to be a final send-off for my long-serving camouflaged kart, the livery for which was first created and used back in June 2018. The patterns and colour palette mimic the Avro Vulcan bomber which inspired my username, using a decal available on Discover along with a custom base paint. At one point, I did consider releasing it on Discover for this race as one of my last designs before the GT7 data transfer, but felt on closer inspection that the decals were too fuzzy and imprecise for it to be shared. Thus, as of tonight, I have retired this design in favour of a new livery for when the first kart races appear on GT7.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20220217194348.png

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20220217194405.png

Now you've had a proper look at what livery I've been using this whole time, let's get on with the show...

14:00 EMEA
First up was the 14:00, where I was anticipating chaos and anarchy alongside @watto79 and @stpatty. After getting out a little too late in the warm-up and having to mow the grass to avoid oncoming traffic, qualifying turned out to be a little on the average side. Plenty of twitching, unforced errors and lost momentum; as I said to stpatty, I wasn't able to get in the groove. Coupled with an annoying mix of traffic and no slipstream opportunities, and the best I could do was a 54.193, leaving us 16th and around 1.2 seconds off the polesitting Greek. Terrific stuff from both Watto and stpatty to start ahead of me this time around. 👍

@NekoPufferPPP's warning about cold tyres convinced me to take things very cautiously on the first lap, mainly by going through both Turn 6 and Niki Lauda Curve in 5th gear. This appeared to pay dividends as the #2 drops to the back following a twitch, collision and spin coming out of Turn 2, and another two serve 0.5 second penalties for presumed track limits infringements. Already, I was fighting these and stpaddy (in the WipEout Icaras livery) for 12th. There were a few shenanigans in this group, but not any which would compromise my race at this point. On Lap 3, stpaddy loses it on the kerb coming out of Niki Lauda Curve, taking a South African with him and dropping to the back of this pack. Things weren't too easy for me, either, as I constantly shuffled up and down the order.

A couple of mistakes on Lap 6, along with taps from the Portuguese #12 kart, undid the progress I had made, which also allowed the #2 to rejoin the fray. When the #12 served a penalty a lap later, the chance was there to take both under slipstream on the run to Turn 5. Unfortunately, as I was doing so, I had gone beyond the outside kerb and didn't back out long enough to avoid getting slapped with a penalty of my own. Recovered by passing the #12 on the start-finish straight moments later, putting up a robust, but fair defence as the #2 serves a penalty. The battle intensified as we caught up to the #19 Spaniard - another driver with a 0.5-second penalty - which I got the tow and managed to make the pass on through Turns 2 to 4. When the Spaniard dropped back, the next target was the German #17 kart which had just recovered from a twitch at Niki Lauda. Having to deal with being bump drafted past the penalty markers, my instinct was to take an outside line and hold off until the chance came to strike back.

Sure enough, the chance came. The #2 runs wide at Niki Lauda as I myself have to reign in a sudden snap, and his latest penalty opens the door for me to hunt down the #12 along with the recovering #19. Again, a fierce, but relatively fair fight, which resulted in me taking 13th and holding it despite the best efforts of the #2 and #12 to perform a double bump draft with five laps remaining. It was on the same lap where my kart hopped shortly after coming off the kerb at Turn 5, losing me enough grip to affect my line and momentum. Kept within the battle for 13th right until I did something I said I would not do... bounce over the sausage kerb inside the apex of Turn 6. The trajectory sent me bouncing over onto the astroturf; I shuffled behind both the #2 and #12... and learned to my annoyance that a second penalty had been handed to me on a platter. At least 14th was secured when the #2 fishtailed over the runoff at Niki Lauda Kurve.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20220219143403.png

That being said, the main thing was that I had survived the whole race without crashing completely. Despite my apprehension concerning the tyre multipliers, they didn't seem to affect my performance that much. Only towards the end did I notice that my front treads had worn slightly, as had my left-rear which was only discovered when checking through my replay afterwards. Never mind about the penalties. The motivation to race again took hold, and after a short rest preparations began for the 15:20 slot.

15:20 EMEA

One of the things I discovered during the 14:00 race was that the settings initially used didn't take into account the effects of forceful bump drafting. This came to a head between Laps 15 and 16 when I noticed my kart's engine cutting out upon hitting its 112mph redline, losing performance and effectively holding up the karts behind along the start-finish straight. I knew right away that this was something I needed to tweak if I wanted to race again, so I quickly experimented with taller 6th gear ratios to see what would work. The final setting used in my next slot was 0.890, which was enough to offer a top speed of 110mph without slipstream and a consistent run of mid-to-high 53s in Free Practice.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20220219151632.png

The difference this modification gave in the 15:20 - racing alongside NekoPuffer - was like night and day. I maintained that initial promise throughout qualifying, setting a fastest time of 53.576 on my third tour. Though I couldn't improve on this due to traffic and needing to get out of the way of a fast Greek driver, I was still proud to have exceeded my practice and 14:00 pace by quite some margin. My final qualifying position also improved to 13th - just 0.777 seconds off the polesitter.

For the race, I went in with the same mindset as before - keep it steady, avoid the kerbs, try not to do anything rash or reckless. The cold tyre issue didn't seem as bad this time as I was able to maintain good speed through Niki Lauda Curve. Though I immediately lost a place to the pink #11 kart, the cautious start paid off as we were able to get it back again the next lap, when a South African picked up a penalty and went wide at Turn 2. At the same place on Lap 3, we pass another Greek driver (kart number 9) who is prepared to play rough, at which point we are already fighting two other karts for what was initially 10th. Further contact sends me fishtailing and into a defensive position as the #11 serves a penalty. Almost thought I would get another one myself as the South African effectively forces me onto the runoff at Turn 5, but slotting in behind him and the Greek seemed enough to dodge that.

Reclaimed 12th on Lap 5 with a good tow on the South African, which put me in a prime position to challenge the #20 Frenchman in Repsol colours. The #20 gets forced onto the run-off by the #9, then locks up and twitches onto the astroturf as we run side-by-side through the final turn. Things would get messier as the penalty-laden #9 hops over the sausage at Niki Lauda Curve. My kart also launches after clipping the kerb, bunching all four of us together in what I could only describe was a mini-derby. The #20 gets held up punting the South African into the Turn 4 gravel, allowing us to pull clear in 10th. This was it. A Top 10 finish in the karts seemed like a genuine prospect. That was until I had a poor entry into Turn 6 on Lap 8, which allowed the #20 to fight back and initiate a battle that would last to the end.

At first, my instinct was to keep fighting back under slipstream, but on the next two laps I ended up running onto the Turn 5 astroturf and had the #20 pull off an additional cutback when I thought the move was sown up at Turn 2. Fortunately, backing out seemed to work as I didn't pick up any subsequent penalties. Now, the focus was on rebuilding the gap that grew between myself and the Swiss driver behind, which was made possible by both slipstream and the longer 6th gear allowing me to run at up to 113mph in the tow. Yellow flags began to be displayed at Niki Lauda Curve as again I attempted a pass down at Turn 5. Again, this enabled the #20 to get the tow back. This time, yellow flags were displayed for real to warn us of the fast Greek spinning out of 7th place. If we could work together... we could yet go one better!

With that in mind, I held back behind the #20 for a while, even resorting to bump drafting him in an effort to reduce the gap between us and the Greek who was now down in 9th. That was before the #20 ran over the Turn 6 turf, and again we swapped positions in the space of an entire sector. Three laps from the end, the Greek serves a track limits penalty, and my bump draft is enough to help the #20 surge into 9th. More horrible luck for the Greek as he loses control coming out of Turn 6. 10th was in the bag. At first, I was prepared to settle for it, but decided to keep fighting the #20 just to see if I could go one further. That very nearly became a reality when he almost lost it on the outside kerb at Niki Lauda and allowed me to slipstream past again. Ran wide trying to defend into Turn 5, narrowly avoiding another penalty as I slotted in directly behind.

Final lap; another pass down the inside of Turn 2. This time, the #20 tries to go around the outside under the Gran Turismo hoarding, then switches back to the inside as yellow flags come out for a backmarker who is stuck near pit entry. As I didn't want to risk another collision, I backed out, which allowed the #20 to shoot through on the inside and set up the last-gasp battle to the line. I was sceptical as to whether the #20 would be able to get away without being penalised, which it did. No time to protest; all I needed was a perfect run through Turn 6, and I nail it. Round the outside; I have enough momentum to catch him! Side-by-side! I'm on the outside, he keeps towards the inside...

20220219200700.jpg

20220219200654.jpg

20220219200705.jpg

Photo finish! You couldn't cut that with a cheese knife! Just two-thousandths of a second separate us over the line! The results show us in 10th, but examining the replay shows that we held onto 9th for just a split second before the final results were confirmed. But still... what a finish!

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20220219173207.png

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20220219155346.png

Lost another big chunk of DR points in the process, but I don't care. The battles were unpredictable, and the consistency and pace in the kart were on another level compared to similar races in the past. The most important thing of all as that we completed not one, but two back-to-back kart races without hitting the walls, and that's saying something considering that these were done with motion steering. On the eve of GT7's arrival, the Vulcan Kart got the send-off it truly deserved...

Thanks to the football and router issues I was only able to join the last slot at 19:20. I didn't notice it at the time but there was a counter like in qualy in the bottom corner during the warm up. With 30 seconds of the main counter left it hit zero and I found myself transported to the pit lane. Then when the main counter hit zero everyone was disconnected. So a blank round which was not my fault.
Ah well it has been a while since I've had one.

Back