Gran Turismo Sport's Final Official Series - Road to Gran Turismo 7 - Starts February 5

• Thread starter Famine
  • 252 comments
Race #3 of the Road To GT7 series
Racing Kart 125 Shifter @ RedBull Ring Short - A/S lobby

I was expecting this one to be hell as I struggled all week getting used to drive that little thing. Doing more than 5 consecutive laps was nearly impossible at first, but tips and tunes from friends helped me improve greatly over the past few days. Still, I wasn't very confident about the tire wear situation, and I had bad memories from same event about a year ago. A bit worried, until I saw Dood's setup online. Holy wow, what a charm! My lap times drastically improved in race practice, this was a huge confidence boost. After a couple of warm up sessions today, I was ready for it, but I had to keep it clean...

Qualifying wasn't top notch for me; I ended up 9th after being slowed down by traffic and then completely messing up my next laps. Pole was around 53.2, not sure I could compete with the top 5 at this point.

So, lights went out and away we went. Kept it smooth and clean through the first lap and honestly, that's all it took to gain positions. They nearly ALL went off track 🤦‍♂️. I found tire wear to be really easy to deal with afterwards, as it came gradually and only created a little oversteer to deal with.

From flying cars to double penalties, I saw it all during this race, but on my side, I kept it clean. Gained 6 positions from start to finish in order to reach third place, scoring my first ever 200+ pts! Waaayyyy beyond any expectations! Whoohoo! Thanks to AmsDood for his incredible input in these races, it is greatly appreciated! See you at Alsace guys, stay safe!

Like synchronicity? - I ended the third race of this series in third place while rocking #3... And in three days I'll be 30 🌞

Road2GT73 (2).png

Just found myself in top split NA with @Geauxgreddy . I knew that would be bad because I have done almost no practice and zero tuning.

Tried to apply Doods tube during practice but I must have gotten something wrong because I couldn’t get the same settings and so qualifying was a shambles. Started 20th, got to 18th early but dropped to 19th soon after. Lapped p20 and he duly quit. Got back to p18 into turn 1 on the last lap and then binned it for the first time in the race on exit and finished DFL.

Karts? Do not like.

Road To GT7 Series // Round 3
Racing Kart 125 Shifter // RedBull Ring Short // A+/S lobby

@D_Dragline , HA, that was you. I found myself reading your Canadian acct screen name and I was like, Doctor A, Gline. Huh, weird name...then I realized it was Dragline. LOL. Good to race with you!

Slot 1, I thought I put in a scorcher of a qualifying with a 53.2xx, but it was only good for p15! WHAT! Crazy. So, I just assumed I'd be going again because no way I'd move up from p15 in that split. Insanely fast karters in there. I did manage to get up to p9 before an untimely death in the green bumpy section after the last turn. Finished, p14. Blah. Had to go again, needed to beat 227 points.

Slot 2 This time I really got it done, put down a 53.0xx for qualy! I thought for sure I was in the top 3, lol, nope..Q5. I was running my own tune that I set a week earlier. Gearbox all the way left on final gear, set speed to 137, then adjusted my final gear all the way right and tweaked the rest to fit. Was able to hit 111 mph solo with ease even if I had a bad last turn. The trans was good, but unfortunately I died lap 1 turn 2 as I went a little wide then got some help in a spin out by an inside move from the kart behind me. It wasn't intentional, but another p15 and disappointment. I didn have a fun race for p15 at the end, though. Go again.

Slot 3 My worst qualy yet! 54.4xx but it was good for p5. Go figure, if I had the 53.0xx I would've been on pole or p2. However, starting 5th wasn't terrible. I found myself in p2 by lap 3. But, I then had some really bad luck with some quicker karters that caught back up to me around lap 5 through 7. Cost me a few positions but I was able to keep my head on straight and I stayed calm. Managed to move back from p6 to p4 and was running down p3 but couldn't get it done. Grabbed 248 points! Good enough to call it a night!

Getting some early practice on Alsace in the Mégane Trophy, got a 1:57.426 with this tune. It's not perfect, but neither am I...

Megane Trophy1.png Megane Trophy2.png

However, the Genesis seems faster overall. Might even be the better option in the race since it's so much faster on the straights, i.e. makes overtaking easier... It's how I got such a good result against the Fords in the Mazda in round 1.

Edit: massive mistake in the time, sorry

Last edited:
I decided to go with VW.

It's #1 in my garage for mileage. I'm going to have fun playing with the tuning. Love this car. :)

6773428208590159920_23.jpg

Hit these ratios by trial and error. Works really well for me.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20220222162018.jpg

Last edited:
Did the first NA slot. Qualified 6th and finished 4th on an all A/S room. One off-track excursion that probably cost me a podium but I'm happy. Punched above my weight again with a 1,100 DR increase.

Will take the WRX to Alsace no matter how difficult it makes things for me.

DSC_2839.JPG

Sorry, I completely mixed up the numbers, it was actually a 57. :dunce:
Hahaha, I can now step away from the ledge....

Still, nice laptime! I found your tune pretty tough to drive, very loose in the rear! Everyone is using the Mazda in my region, though the top guy just did a 1.56.5 in the GTR

The Road To GT7 had deepened my appreciation for why tuning was not allowed in previous official GT Sport events.

Watching GT Sport transmogrify into Transmission Tycoon has been exhausting.

If this were the norm for GT Sport, it would be difficult to justify spending time on it.

I'm fiddling with all of the tuning settings, hoping to find some sort of magical combination that allows me to be competitive in this final race. It is substantially more time consuming than just figuring out a track and a car.

Those of us with limited driving skill and a limited understanding of the tuning system (and limited time) are at risk of being left in the dust.

Now if you will pardon me, I have to go back to reverse engineering a custom transmission for Alsace.

Well sadly I didn't participate in the Road to gt7 C b/c I didn't feel strong enough yet, see if and when i'm confident that i'll get a good placement i'll enter. I need to watch plenty of YT videos and study each track well. That's what learning is about!

The Road To GT7 had deepened my appreciation for why tuning was not allowed in previous official GT Sport events.

Watching GT Sport transmogrify into Transmission Tycoon has been exhausting.

If this were the norm for GT Sport, it would be difficult to justify spending time on it.

I'm fiddling with all of the tuning settings, hoping to find some sort of magical combination that allows me to be competitive in this final race. It is substantially more time consuming than just figuring out a track and a car.

Those of us with limited driving skill and a limited understanding of the tuning system (and limited time) are at risk of being left in the dust.

Now if you will pardon me, I have to go back to reverse engineering a custom transmission for Alsace.
But tuning races brings more variety in races. It’s better than the crappy BoP….

Lmao.

I hear what you’re saying. I guess PD wanted to show why they didn’t let people tune. It would just make one car powerful and all the sheep will follow. Manufacturers wasn’t too bad as I won Big Willow in the Subaru.

Yes like you said, tuning is hard for someone that never done it and understand different things and how it affects the car. I barely found a video explaining what everything does.

But tuning races brings more variety in races. It’s better than the crappy BoP….

Lmao.

I hear what you’re saying. I guess PD wanted to show why they didn’t let people tune. It would just make one car powerful and all the sheep will follow. Manufacturers wasn’t too bad as I won Big Willow in the Subaru.

Yes like you said, tuning is hard for someone that never done it and understand different things and how it affects the car. I barely found a video explaining what everything does.
The biggest problem in my opinion is that the things you have to do in the game is nothing like the thing you do in real life. Stuff like negative rake or flipped gearbox is not real at all

Getting some early practice on Alsace in the Mégane Trophy, got a 1:57.426 with this tune. It's not perfect, but neither am I...

View attachment 1115902 View attachment 1115903

However, the Genesis seems faster overall. Might even be the better option in the race since it's so much faster on the straights, i.e. makes overtaking easier... It's how I got such a good result against the Fords in the Mazda in round 1.
Your trans tune is the polar opposite of what I did to match the top time in NA. Honestly curious to try it and see what the difference is.

I reset the trans, then went to like 5.300ish on the final gear, then put the top speed at I believe 124, then final gear down to around 4.652ish and matched the Top Time shift points. That brought 6th gear very low to where it nearly rev limits and the other gears in tight with it.

Last edited:
NA top 10 is alomost all Mazda, 1 Hyundai. Was Meganes at the start of the week. Kind of cool to see it change around.

NA top 10 is alomost all Mazda, 1 Hyundai. Was Meganes at the start of the week. Kind of cool to see it change around.
Aus/NZ is all Mazda now. It started with a few WRX, a Lancer and a couple of GTR's mixed in, but they are all gone now. I'm tossing up between the Mazda and the GTR. My laptimes at the moment are almost identical, in the low 57s, but the GTR feels a bit more stable under brakes, and faster in the banked corner. Is there a way to save your ghost from one car to compare with your other one?

I feel like the Mazda is better out of turn 1 than the GTR (which will make it a pain in the ass to race against....)

Tunes for Atenza / Megane / Genesis / GTR

Edit: I've tried the GT-R tune, it's great and easy to drive, time dropped to 1:56.605.

I applied the Genesis tune to my Mustang (or at least as close as I could get) and the results were very good.

I got my fastest time to date after only 12 laps.

(I still haven't cracked the 2 minute mark yet. But I wasn't doing any better with my Rock-Paper-Scissors approach to tuning. The car is very stable and well composed with the Genesis-inspired tune.)

No one, at all:

Me: Well, if you insist... the reason I'm sticking with the Mustang is that it is the car with which I am most familiar. I wonder if other Mustang drivers feel the same way...

Also, I couldn't exactly match the gear ratios for the gearbox, so I matched the top speeds on the gears as best I could. Was able to match the "Top Speed (Auto Set)" and the Final Gear Ratio, and it held up nicely, so far.

Me: Well, if you insist... the reason I'm sticking with the Mustang is that it is the car with which I am most familiar. I wonder if other Mustang drivers feel the same way...
I try to drive Fords whenever possible. It may be a fault but I'm loyal to my favorite manufacturer.

Last edited:
No one, absolutely no one:

Me: Okay, but enough with the arm twisting... one of the more amusing aspects of driving a Mustang is that drivers of more prestigious brands seem to take it very personally when you overtake them.

Overtake a Porsche with a Mustang, and that Porsche driver will go full Javert from Les Miz on you for the rest of the race.

Back