Gran Turismo Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup Returns for 2023 Season

• Thread starter Famine
  • 582 comments
Not sure how this happened, but ended up getting a W on the first GT2 event. It was a pretty decent lobby, qualified P3 after a meh lap one and a trafficy lap two.

P1 & P2 were fighting for a little which helped. I ended up in P2 and P1 had a pen so I took P1. After a couple of laps P2 messed up at the final chicane so I found myself ahead of the new P2 by ~2.0 seconds +/-.250" for the next handful of laps and was able to bring it home without spinning off or even collecting a single pen. No one more surprised than me!

I had to consciously tell myself to drive this car slower than I thought it should be able to be driven, especially though T3 and T5. Despite feeling much slower and off pace, it wasn't. Once that clicked, it was much smoother sailing... and as they say, smooth is fast.

One and done, good riddance, bring on the next set of Manus!

7ea4f3fbb184cca0050c99b79449901b_photo.webp

Going into the last chicane on lap one (I am the #7 car)... guess this is happening!

e24dcf6893563751ac609eac1367613d_photo.webp

Everyone behaved! I left room for the gray car and then parked it on the apex on the right. From there it was just not messing up.

7f03d34b70741b2e90acb9ce86a2d8ed_photo.webp

...aaaaaaaaaaaand glad it's done.

bbf0bd8f2f98ddd67556f874a4093429_photo.webp

Last edited:
I won't mention the Plus run (the first online race on that account), other than to say it was a learning experience for the car.

On the GTP account, I got practice runs down to the 1:37.5 range. When it came time for qualifying for a low-points race (a win was worth only 10) with a mix of drivers (mostly D drivers with lower SR ratings, but also 2 E/S drivers besides me), I both left the pits late and went back into the pits to get a clean track, and got a 1:37.4 lap down to qualify 4th, 1.4 seconds off the pole. Overly-cautious driving on lap 1 cost me 3 spots, but one of the top 6 timed out. I briefly got to 5th on lap 3, but someone blocked up the middle of the last chicane, so I had to really slow up and go very wide, and gave it back.

I was faster than the immediate competition in front of me, but not so much that I could make a clean pass, at least if they ran clean laps. In fact, I had to back off once going into turn 10A as I was a bit better than even...but on the outside. Eventually, they both made mistakes that I could reasonably take advantage of.

I eventually got a 1:37.8 lap, with only the top 3 having faster top laps. I had nothing for the top 2 as they both broke into the 1:35s and were (mostly) clean, but third place was, to use one word, wild, and I got to within a second by the end of lap 11. He had yet another off to get a 0.5-second penalty, and went wide in turn 6. I took full advantage, thinking he would realize that, even without the penalty, I had the position. Fortunately, the game ghosted him as he went hot into the apex of turn 7 while I was a bit slower than normal as I couldn't make the outside entrance - otherwise, he would have rear-ended me.

I got my second podium, and first that wasn't a result of somebody forgetting to put on required tires. As I only have 5 races in the book, the 9 points for this round won't count. At least now I'm a D/S driver.

Just for a confirmation: I participated in one of the races earlier on, so I should receive the Corolla tomorrow?
YES.
Toyota GR Corolla MORIZO Edition '22
Be among the first to experience this car in Round 7 of the TOYOTA GAZOO Racing GT Cup 2023!

We are offering players a chance to try out this car in Round 7 of the TOYOTA GAZOO Racing GT Cup 2023 before its official release. Additionally, all players who enter the championship in any round and have their online IDs registered on the Points Ranking will receive this car for free starting Monday, 28 August. Don't miss this amazing opportunity! (This car will be available to purchase at Brand Central from late September.)

Just realised we could do with the car on the GTP pool account so went for a run in the US server.

I don't know whether it's that or the fact the pool account is at DR D, but it may as well be a totally different car. Absolutely planted, waaaaay more confidence in every corner, braking 50m later for T1, and nearly a second a lap faster than in my own account...
It could be different ABS settings (@VR-SORN mentioned it right after you posted that).

The question everybody wants to know - how bad did you whup the GT3 field on that account?

5.4 million in prizes... can't complain!
Weirdly the website is showing best three finishes, not four... I haven't logged into the game yet to see what the outcome of that is, but I'm allegedly (in GT2 League) 21st in the UK and well inside the top 200 in EMEA...

1693164350781.png

1693164413567.png

Edit: Lol, just jumped in and got the gold award for all four. Six million credits :lol:

It could be different ABS settings (@VR-SORN mentioned it right after you posted that).

The question everybody wants to know - how bad did you whup the GT3 field on that account?
Was running default in both cases.

I won by 34 seconds and lapped everyone up to ninth...

Last edited:
I was in that lobby with @Talon16 this morning. It was really good A lobby with good drivers all the way into the backfield where I lived. My only real goal here was a crb. Nearly managed it, got one track penalty after the esses, because, of course. (had to take a different line through traffic, went wide.) I was driving conservative and not nearly on my practice pace, but geez, I was 28 seconds behind talon's P1 to my P9. I did have one incident, where I lost two positions, but I don;t think anything was intentional. The car was actually kind of fun to drive for a change of pace (pun intended).

I was in that lobby with @Talon16 this morning. It was really good A lobby with good drivers all the way into the backfield where I lived. My only real goal here was a crb. Nearly managed it, got one track penalty after the esses, because, of course. (had to take a different line through traffic, went wide.) I was driving conservative and not nearly on my practice pace, but geez, I was 28 seconds behind talon's P1 to my P9. I did have one incident, where I lost two positions, but I don;t think anything was intentional. The car was actually kind of fun to drive for a change of pace (pun intended).
Yea, it was good to see you in there. And a quick lobby indeed; some quicker than me for sure but all it takes is one mistake or a pen and that can be all she wrote.

Did you go again?

Yea, it was good to see you in there. And a quick lobby indeed; some quicker than me for sure but all it takes is one mistake or a pen and that can be all she wrote.

Did you go again?
no yet, but maybe? (kinda bored of dailies by sunday)

Had a free afternoon so did the last two GT1 slots. First race I had the #1 sticker and it was a disaster, could hardly string two laps together, finished last of the runners.

Second race I get out the pits early and set a 33.8 pole time. Think I’ve figured out how to drive this car. There’s a few people present from my first race who must wonder where this improvement came from. Sticker #1 is an Italian who beeps and flashes his lights as we trade top spot. Final corners we are side by side and I’m waiting for a nudge to give him the win but he gives me room, total respect to him.

Elated to have turned things round from such a dodgy first session!

I was so nervous my hands were shaking the whole race and my heart was racing a million miles a second.

I was in first till lap 8 where I made a mistake and fell to 2nd but I didn't give up and at lap 12 the guy in first got a 1 second penalty and I was less then 1 second behind so I was able to pass him for the win.

I also got the CRB.

I qualified 2nd.
Gran Turismo® 7_20230827190928.jpg
Race won.
Gran Turismo® 7_20230827193104.jpg
Gran Turismo® 7_20230827193236.jpg
I saved the replay.:)

Sometimes I wonder why I bother with this. As someone very time poor with kids and work, I often struggle to get much practice in for these, but I love racing so I thought I'd have a go in the final slot (8pm). Not much talent left, only 4 other A+ drivers. I messed up qualifying with penalties every lap, but still qualified 7th and felt like I was well placed to do well.

Until of course a known talentless clown who qualified 11th didn't even brake turn 1, skittled the field and ruined my race. So disappointing, especially since I've seen this user do the same thing in nations cup a few times before.

I think I'm done wasting my time racing on GT7, the penalties and reporting system is too non-existent. I might just stick to the TTs from now on.

I was so nervous my hands were shaking the whole race and my heart was racing a million miles a second.

I was in first till lap 8 where I made a mistake and fell to 2nd but I didn't give up and at lap 12 the guy in first got a 1 second penalty and I was less then 1 second behind so I was able to pass him for the win.

I also got the CRB.

I qualified 2nd.
View attachment 1283354Race won.
View attachment 1283355View attachment 1283356I saved the replay.:)
1693180749549.png

Jesus, mate... 😭

I was there with 8 minutes till race start but I got cold feet I'm just not used to playing online I'll just wait till the car gets added to BC and buy it then.

...I was able to pass him for the win.

Race won.
View attachment 1283356I saved the replay.:)
Welcome to Sport Mode... :cheers:

I also got the CRB.

I qualified 2nd.
View attachment 1283354Race won.
View attachment 1283355View attachment 1283356I saved the replay.:)
That’s great man!! Shout out to @appu for the tips!

More fun than I was expecting from this round. Qualified 6th to start with a decent qualifying run.

Lap 1 was very chaotic with me getting ping ponged at the bottom of the esses but the final hit on me straightened up the car so off I went. Lost a couple of places but happy to not land in DFL.
Coming into the chicane on lap one had lots of traffic and all seemed well but an A+ that started at the back shot up from two cars back and we collided on the curb since I was already committed based on the car that had been following me. Felt like I should have seen him but watching the replay I couldn’t have seen it coming. Lost another place with that encounter and from there I raced solid and moved up to p5 by lap 3 and was trying to keep fast and consistent.

Lap 9 I finally took t1 ugly and went into a drift for what seemed like an eternity. Managed to miss the barrier but went all the way across the pit lane for a 1.5 seconds penalty.

IMG_5868.jpeg
IMG_5867.jpeg

Lost one place on the penalty and felt lost of pressure as a couple cars closed in.
Lap 10 of course I missed my mark at the top of the hill but fortunately the car behind followed my bad line lol. 😂
IMG_5865.jpeg

Finally settled back in and had my fastest lap on lap 11 and held on to a p8 finish.
Felt good to pull it back together to hold on to 8th after falling apart for two laps. This was my high score of the season too 😁
IMG_5866.jpeg

Forget being in the top 10% EMEA.
Forget being in the top 10% in the UK.
Forget even being in the top 10% in Gtr Manchester….

Racing fans everywhere, feast your eyes upon the #1 driver in……..

<Riotous Drum Roll>🥁🥁🥁🥁🥁

….. <clears throat> 🎉🎉. WIGAN!! 🍾🍾

Last edited:
Sheesh a lot of fast guys in my 11pm race… I did it to get the car… ran 1.35.1 In qualifying.. that put me at 8th… with the fasted guy running a 1.33.6. Finished 6th in the race. Very fun and actually very clean beside one guy who was just reckless.

Back