Gran Turismo Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup Returns for 2023 Season

• Thread starter Famine
  • 582 comments
My race wasn't perfect.
Couldn't get the car though quali with a good time and a 1 second penalty in the race.
But managed 5th with the bare minimum of points i was looking for.
Fell probably three places in NA & US but a good haul. Also considering i missed two events.

Attachments

• 20230827_232513.jpg
    20230827_232513.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 4
Had a bit of a frustrating start to my Sunday. Went in the 9am slot, had a decent lobby. Quali turned into a race which is always annoying and couldn't set a sensible time. Got obliterated at the chicane on lap 2 and couldn't really make up places from there.

So I went again! Ended up in a really low points lobby. Out early for quali and set a time for 2nd. Got a clean run and finished 2nd, but only 65pts, so I hummed and hawed a bit and went again.

Back into a decent points lobby this time, got a half decent quali run for 8th place. Had a great fun race with a couple of drivers, made a couple of places up, and lost one again. Got a penalty on lap 11, served it on 12 to drop a place and finished where I started. Thanks to the stronger lobby that gave me 94 pts so I decided to leave it on a good run.

Happy with the final result, in GT3. Didn't expect that when I started! :)

Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 07.22.49.png

With my win in the last round, I managed to move up one position in my Regional ranking. Or it was more one of the people ahead of me didn't race in the final round. I'm very pleased with my performance here as this was my first go into Sport mode (with the exception of time trials). Since I also did the Nation's and Manufacturer's cups, my DR had improved over this championship enough to compete for good points in the final rounds in the GT3 league.

Screenshot_20230827-211044.png

Now I'll take my winnings over to the LCD.

Damn... If I had held 4th yesterday I would have been 31st in the UK, just one point off 😂 was worth it for a better race though.

Happy with the result considering this is the first online season I have entered and raced the whole way through, as you can probably tell from my medals at the top I have only just started to get involved in sport mode.

18a3b2f100276-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_433461690822335_1693209729774.jpg

Also forgot to post this yesterday after the race someone made a nice comment about 'S' ranking 😂 not sure what happened to them but at the front of the pack it was tidy racing.

18a3b2edd2350-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_433461688474311_1693209720602 (1).jpg

Even if you get bumped down the rankings after the update the credits were already awarded so they cant take those back I presume.
I immediately spent mine on a McLaren MP4/4, just in case :lol:

Edit: With the amended results, my prediction wasn't bad...

Got double the points of my first attempt, so might make top 50 UK with just three results instead of four :lol:
1693214361450.png

Last edited:
Also forgot to post this yesterday after the race someone made a nice comment about 'S' ranking 😂 not sure what happened to them but at the front of the pack it was tidy racing.

View attachment 1283403
Just watched the replay back and visiblepotato was actually a very good sportsman throughout, giving room, braking to avoid nudges and making some great overtakes but lost out on the last chicane to the two others drivers who ended in front.

On the last lap, one slipped through after battling down the straight side by side and the other unfortunately nudged their way through putting visiblepotato onto the grass.

I immediately spent mine on a McLaren MP4/4, just in case :lol:
I was going to do the same but still a few million off 😭😂

Last edited:
Anyone get a second GR010?
That should not happen.
Please note that players who entered up to Round 2 and redeemed "A reward for entering the TGR GT Cup. Compete in Round 3 with a GR010!" delivered on May 25 will not receive another car ticket for the [GR010].

Last edited:
I don't know yet if it was the 9 points from round 6 or the 9 from round 7 that counted as the 4th race, but I managed a top 30% everywhere except the secondary local ranking (Milwaukee). Nothing like waking up to 2,850,000 Cr. and a new car.

Related to that, unless there's late price inflation, the GR Corolla should come in at under 50,000 Cr. based on the cost of upgrades. Edit - there was price inflation as, unlike the Himedic, a new engine and body are purchasable, and they're 35,750 Cr./85.800 Cr. respectively, which puts the price at 71,500 Cr.

Last edited:
2023 Toyota Gazoo Racing Cup
Round 7 - Road Atlanta - GR Corolla Murizo
Lobby A+/S - Slot 1 and 2

Slot 1
- Going in to slot 1 my time trial was sitting at 84th in the World!. First time that has ever happened. Unfortunately we couldn't practice with fuel weight and tire wear so trying to hold off S/S drivers and the other top ranked folks in NA went South quickly. Didn't help that my start was a hair slow and had to try and navigate sector 1 door to door on the outside. Q4 to P15. Greddy had the sads.

Slot 2 - After my first qualy lap I actually had pole for a full minute and a half in this one! Then dropped to third when the aliens woke up. 2 or laps in I found myself in 2nd thanks to a penalty and was actually gaining on the leader. Then had a penalty swap with p2 around lap 5. After 10 laps and racing well, I made a big mistake in T1 and went wide. Lost two spots and had to hold off P5 for a full lap. I was however able to get away and clench P4 for my best result to date! 316 points!!

Started 11th, finished 7th. If I had to explain my experience racing with the GR Corolla, it would be this clip lol:

Granted it is very fun to race with, but it reminded me of the GR Yaris and why I hated racing that car. On the bright side, with the local aliens not being active for this season, I got a nice paycheck out of it.
Gran Turismo® 7_20230828101433.png

IMG_20230828_193442.jpg

Plus sold the GR010 since I have a double, totalling in 3,8 million cr. Not bad, not bad at all. They should do this more often!

Who's 1st in my local area though ? I need to find that person lol

Last edited:
Started 11th, finished 7th. If I had to explain my experience racing with the GR Corolla, it would be this clip lol:

Granted it is very fun to race with, but it reminded me of the GR Yaris and why I hated racing that car. On the bright side, with the local aliens not being active for this season, I got a nice paycheck out of it.
View attachment 1283421

Oh hey, you were in my race! I started 2nd with door 6 and kept up with the sole A+ driver in the lobby until he ate a 0.5s penalty for running wide at Turn 5 Lap 2. I briefly took the lead until he got alongside me at the start of the long straight on lap 4. I blinked first into the chicane, slotting in behind him with kotaka in 3rd now right on my tail due to our fighting.

IMG_7441.jpeg

Not learning his lesson from earlier, the A+ cuts Turn 5 the following lap on lap 5 and the ensuring 1s penalty throws him down to 3rd behind me and kotaka.

I had hoped that would put the A+ driver out of the lead for good, but he caught both of us at the end of lap 8, passing kotaka into turn 1 on lap 9 before mugging me at the right onto the back straight again. I tried a lunge into the chicane, but my narrow entry killed my momentum, allowing the A+ to retake the lead on exit.

IMG_7442.jpeg
IMG_7443.jpeg

Then on lap 10, kotaka met with a terrible fate:

IMG_7412.jpeg
IMG_7413.jpeg

That sent him down to 7th behind @Hdbd04 and allowed me to focus on pressuring the A+ driver.

Unfortunately for me, he managed to withstand the pressure to take the win while I had to settle for 2nd 6 tenths down for 223 points.

IMG_7444.jpeg
IMG_7410.jpeg
IMG_7411.jpeg

With this strong end to the season, I finished 77th in Asia and 3rd in my country (after the recount), although my credit prize would have remained the same either way.
IMG_7435.jpeg
IMG_7416.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7416.jpeg
    IMG_7416.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7435.jpeg
    IMG_7435.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 3
Not sure how this happened, but ended up getting a W on the first GT2 event. It was a pretty decent lobby, qualified P3 after a meh lap one and a trafficy lap two.

One and done, good riddance, bring on the next set of manus.
Congrats on winning NA GT2! You and Shaggy put a beating on us normal GT2 guys.

I should’ve practiced for the final race. I was embarrassingly bad in the 11 o’clock race last night. Oh well. It’s a shame the final race of the event was not very good. The GR010 race was one of the best races we’ve had in any of these events. Need more of that kind of racing in this game.

Not a bad season, really. Fairly competitive when paired with people who actually belong in GT2, but ultimately pointless when you've got A+ players clubbing us seals on their alternate accounts for fun.

I'll take my 6M in credits and 16th overall and call it a day.

Attachments

• 18a3e0a571037-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18a3e0a571037-screenshotUrl.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 4
Oh hey, you were in my race! I started 2nd with door 6 and kept up with the sole A+ driver in the lobby until he ate a 0.5s penalty for running wide at Turn 5 Lap 2. I briefly took the lead until he got alongside me at the start of the long straight on lap 4. I blinked first into the chicane, slotting in behind him with kotaka in 3rd now right on my tail due to our fighting.

View attachment 1283445

Not learning his lesson from earlier, the A+ cuts Turn 5 the following lap on lap 5 and the ensuring 1s penalty throws him down to 3rd behind me and kotaka.

I had hoped that would put the A+ driver out of the lead for good, but he caught both of us at the end of lap 8, passing kotaka into turn 1 on lap 9 before mugging me at the right onto the back straight again. I tried a lunge into the chicane, but my narrow entry killed my momentum, allowing the A+ to retake the lead on exit.

View attachment 1283446View attachment 1283447

Then on lap 10, kotaka met with a terrible fate:

View attachment 1283449View attachment 1283450

That sent him down to 7th behind @Hdbd04 and allowed me to focus on pressuring the A+ driver.

Unfortunately for me, he managed to withstand the pressure to take the win while I had to settle for 2nd 6 tenths down for 223 points.

View attachment 1283452View attachment 1283455View attachment 1283456

With this strong end to the season, I finished 77th in Asia and 3rd in my country (after the recount), although my credit prize would have remained the same either way.
View attachment 1283458View attachment 1283459

I think soon I would document the other half of the grid. It's a completely different story. But a guy who brakes slightly during the esses finished 6th...

p.s. You were quick too!

Last edited:
View attachment 1283493

Spotted a celeb in my race.

I was at the other end of the field, but managed to gain 3 places by keeping it on track and avoiding the bumper cars. I did get a 3 second penalty for passing under yellow when the car directly in front of me went off. I'm filing an appeal with the stewards.
"Celeb" :lol:

You didn't do too bad, even if you were technically off the pace. You kept it under control, and backed out of bad situations. The GR Corolla isn't an easy car to drive, even without somebody coming into turn 5 a good 15-20 mph too fast or trying to run you off the road, and if you overdrive Road Atlanta, it will really catch you out. You should have seen some of my practice laps. A couple questions:
  • Do you use a wheel or a controller? With how hard it is to keep that car under control with a wheel, I can't imagine how hard it is to do finesse steering with the controller.
  • MT or AT? I found that car doesn't like to be taken all the way to the redline, where the AT shifts.
As for that yellow, it wasn't initially out for the guy who fishtailed immediately in front of you, but considering he was still out of control (though technically with 2 wheels on the track, which he had just re-established) when you went by, I wouldn't have given you the penalty,

• Do you use a wheel or a controller? With how hard it is to keep that car under control with a wheel, I can't imagine how hard it is to do finesse steering with the controller.
  • MT or AT? I found that car doesn't like to be taken all the way to the redline, where the AT shifts.
Controller and AT casual here. I just take it slow (bronze time trial pace). I don't really race online except to log laps for these event rewards. I've tried a few times to get used to manual on controller in Forza and GT, but I have enough trouble keeping track of throttle, brake and steering. I have an old wheel on PC and use the paddle shifters, but it's not compatible with current consoles. I've been waiting to see how the new Forza Motorsport turns out before picking up a new console compatible wheel.

As for that yellow, it wasn't initially out for the guy who fishtailed immediately in front of you, but considering he was still out of control (though technically with 2 wheels on the track, which he had just re-established) when you went by, I wouldn't have given you the penalty,
Much appreciated. :cheers:

Back