Gran Turismo Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup Returns for 2023 Season

• Thread starter Famine
  • 582 comments
Watching your race, I found it very disappointing that you did that on the last corner of the last lap. You threw the driving etiquette out the window there. You're a top tier A+ driver, please act like one.
Was a harsh move definitely. But I was entitled to go for it considering we're in road cars.

Last edited:
The Yaris round seems like it's going to be a lesson in pain for GT1 with the extended race.

How long is everyone finding the tyres last? I feel like I'm being pretty smooth with it and managing to mostly avoid it sliding whilst doing 1:36s in race pace. Even with that however, my front right hits completely red somewhere around lap 9. Does that seem to line up with what others are experiencing?

The reason I ask is because I'm getting the impression from my testing so far that the no-stop seems considerably faster than pitting, but going almost half the race with a completely dead tyre doesn't seem right...

I was having a bit of trouble taking care of the tires, but just got it under control after doing a bunch of laps and practice runs with the car. I think TC off for a few practice custom races helped me understand how it wants to slide and handle camber in a few turns, but definitely quicker now I think at TC 1.

It's very particular with how it handles weight transfer and really wants to drift. Minimizing slides I end probably with around 40% tire on the front right (EDIT: forgot GT1 is extended, I'm not GT1) with the rest still pretty healthy. I'm a bit slower though, getting 1:40-1:42s

EDIT: no pit for my class. For GT1, no idea.

Last edited:
No-stop is still faster. It's possible to save your tires even in GT1 (about 20-25% at the end for me) without losing nearly as much time as a pit stop would (about 24 seconds)... If you have a wheel. If you have a controller, good luck, you're going to need it.

Last edited:
This Yaris is a chore to drive. Not fun at all. It’s like it has way too much rear toe and mud stuffed pillows for springs. Not sure what’s going on with it but, it’s terrible. 🤔☹️ Very unpredictable and vague on turn in with a bizarre self counter steering rear end. If I owned this car IRL I would do the world a favor and set it on fire. 🔥

No-stop is still faster. It's possible to save your tires even in GT1 (about 20-25% at the end for me) without losing nearly as much time as a pit stop would (about 24 seconds)... If you have a wheel. If you have a controller, good luck, you're going to need it.
Also on wheel, I see mostly the front right impacted.
What is your approach for tyre saving?
Less corner speed for the 2-3 most eating turns?
Less corner speed in every turn?
Different racing lines?

I'd go with the first one, and hope to not mess it up in the heat of the moment...

Also, other question... is Tyre wearing linear? I have the feeling that the more is consumed the more quickly consumes

zjn
Different racing lines?

I'd go with the first one, and hope to not mess it up in the heat of the moment...

Also, other question... is Tyre wearing linear? I have the feeling that the more is consumed the more quickly consumes

I haven't practiced yet and frankly I am pretty bad on tire saving, but all inputs affect it. So being more gentle with throttle, brakes and turning input helps. As for tire wear, I've done plenty of longer races in leagues. Tire wear is not linear, I'd say it is slightly exponential. After you get 40-50% wear, the next half goes by pretty quickly. I'd say if a certain set of tires could do 10 at most, then first 6 you wear 50%, last 4 almost 50% wear.

Last edited:
zjn
Different racing lines?

Brake in a straight line, since this car likes to lock the rears and slide if you do anything else. Less speed through mostly the long corners, especially the left-handers. If you hear loud skidding, you're not gonna like the results.

Last edited:
I’ve only tried no stop once so far in a lobby but the red on the tire was nearly complete with a speck of white.

I’m curious if anybody has seen a tire let loose and make this car uncontrollable yet in practice races?

I may need to test.

I’ve only tried no stop once so far in a lobby but the red on the tire was nearly complete with a speck of white.

I’m curious if anybody has seen a tire let loose and make this car uncontrollable yet in practice races?

I may need to test.
I actually turned up tire to 20x just for fun! It was still drivable on lap 10 with 0% on right front, just needed to slow the turns and lost a 1-2 secs per lap. But I'm in the dumbed-down GT2 (Booo) , so for me, it shouldn't be a problem for 10 laps. I don't think I could go much further than 10-12 laps, with my driving style (controller)

I actually turned up tire to 20x just for fun! It was still drivable on lap 10 with 0% on right front, just needed to slow the turns and lost a 1-2 secs per lap. But I'm in the dumbed-down GT2 (Booo) , so for me, it shouldn't be a problem for 10 laps. I don't think I could go much further than 10-12 laps, with my driving style (controller)
Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking that may be the case. 3 good ones are faster than a pit 😂

I think I’m going to give this round a go this weekend after all. On Mother’s Day 😇
This week’s B race should have me ready for the fender banging session.

Hope the lap count goes back to all groups the same for the future races!

what nonsense is this, at least if I can delete the official icon from the race calendar - so that I don't have to look at it, when I can't race anymore, and I see that there are still a lot of European countries missing

I am not sure to understand well, if we "enter" the event, we get a Toyota GR010 or a livery for this car ?

Next slot to enter is this coming sunday, right ?

I am not sure to understand well, if we "enter" the event, we get a Toyota GR010 or a livery for this car ?

Next slot to enter is this coming sunday, right ?
All the players who enter this round will receive a free GR010 Hybrid, complete with the 2023 livery for use in-game!

All the players who enter this round will receive a free GR010 Hybrid, complete with the 2023 livery for use in-game!
I was sure I've read that somewhere but in the screens they make you read before being able to partake, they only tell about a livery.

By the way the form is pretty annoying to fill, with the micro tiny bullets you have to click 😖

I may need to test.
Just tried doing a practice run and my front right went completely red probably 1/2 way int othe 14th lap. So 1.5 laps done at the end completely red. It definitely lost a bit of grip and my laptime dropped a couple seconds, but the car didn't go completely out of control and undriveable or anything....so yeah, it looks like just run it out trying to be careful and when it turns red it turns red, but a pit stop will probably lose you way too much time.

EDIT: I just realized on that first run I did not set the BoP and my car had alot more HP/less weight/more downforce than it would in the actual race. Went back and moved everything back to stock on the Yaris Hilton and tried it again. Laptimes were decently slower and the tires wore out quicker. Interesting with less HP and downforce but more weight. I guess the increase in downforce causes the tires the grip more and slide less, so less wear? In any event, the front right was toast at the end of the 12th lap. So I just kept running it full red for the 13/14/15th laps. Again, laptimes dropped a tad bit, but car was not crazy out of control or anything.....so yeah, just run it

Last edited:
This might be a general sport mode question, since I've not really done a lot there, but I noticed in round 1 at Fuji in the lower class a lot of times, especially on lap 1 cars seemed to somewhat arbitrarily ghost. As I was driving on the outside giving other drivers room in a few turns I saw some people just drive through other cars.

Anyone know how this mechanic actually works? It's sometimes ghosting but other times a collision properly occurs, I couldn't figure out exactly what triggered it and what didn't. If it's something like "in low ranks on lap 1 you'll always ghost" I'm just going to drive my line ignoring traffic but yeah since I have no idea what the trigger is unless I figure it out I'll just race normally.

Just tried doing a practice run and my front right went completely red probably 1/2 way int othe 14th lap. So 1.5 laps done at the end completely red. It definitely lost a bit of grip and my laptime dropped a couple seconds, but the car didn't go completely out of control and undriveable or anything....so yeah, it looks like just run it out trying to be careful and when it turns red it turns red, but a pit stop will probably lose you way too much time.

EDIT: I just realized on that first run I did not set the BoP and my car had alot more HP/less weight/more downforce than it would in the actual race. Went back and moved everything back to stock on the Yaris Hilton and tried it again. Laptimes were decently slower and the tires wore out quicker. Interesting with less HP and downforce but more weight. I guess the increase in downforce causes the tires the grip more and slide less, so less wear? In any event, the front right was toast at the end of the 12th lap. So I just kept running it full red for the 13/14/15th laps. Again, laptimes dropped a tad bit, but car was not crazy out of control or anything.....so yeah, just run it

Yes that is the tendency and it is realistic, but horsepower plays a part too and weight. That being said if the Yaris had a customizable front bumper that increased front aero, it would probably have less front tire wear at least 🤔

Apologies if this has been answered before. Adding to this question. In order to get the special GR010, when refering to "enter" the event, do they mean we have to enter and finish the race? Or we should receive the car by just signing up for the cup before sunday?

Asking because I'm not sure if I'll be able to be back home in time for the races.

This might be a general sport mode question, since I've not really done a lot there, but I noticed in round 1 at Fuji in the lower class a lot of times, especially on lap 1 cars seemed to somewhat arbitrarily ghost. As I was driving on the outside giving other drivers room in a few turns I saw some people just drive through other cars.

Anyone know how this mechanic actually works? It's sometimes ghosting but other times a collision properly occurs, I couldn't figure out exactly what triggered it and what didn't. If it's something like "in low ranks on lap 1 you'll always ghost" I'm just going to drive my line ignoring traffic but yeah since I have no idea what the trigger is unless I figure it out I'll just race normally.
in the DR C D E races, the ghosting on the cars is much stronger than DR B and above

I'd be interested in an answer here, too.

I noticed it throughout my (Gr.3) Round 1 race, start to finish. I couldn't detect an obvious pattern while in the race. I don't think it's caused from strong force of contact. There would be times another car would ghost from what appeared to be light contact from various sides of the cars. However, on my final lap of that race, I was P2 and working on an overtake but P1 was lightly bumping me from the side and no ghosting.

I expect to see a lot of ghost Yaris cars this Sunday.

I'd be interested in an answer here, too.

I noticed it throughout my (Gr.3) Round 1 race, start to finish. I couldn't detect an obvious pattern while in the race. I don't think it's caused from strong force of contact. There would be times another car would ghost from what appeared to be light contact from various sides of the cars. However, on my final lap of that race, I was P2 and working on an overtake but P1 was lightly bumping me from the side and no ghosting.

I expect to see a lot of ghost Yaris cars this Sunday.
If it's happening throughout the race maybe it kicks in when there's a certain amount of cars close? I've seen it in high traffic scenarios and also when someone crashes and is coming back on the track without looking at all for other drivers, and when serving penalties.

I'm just gonna drive as though there's no ghosting but yeah, guess they add it at lower ranks to avoid pileups from people driving like madmen.

Didn’t enjoy this one in the Yaris. Qualified 7th but way off the lead. Bashed around the first couple of laps, dropped back to P14 and never recovered. Couldn’t find any consistent pace. Finished P13.

Struggled with any & all road car rounds recently. Hopefully will be better in the proper racing machines to come.

Gran_Turismo_7_20230514183552.png

I guess the key to the race was to drive as smoothly as you can. I managed to keep the front right tire alive until the end of lap 12. Avoiding the car to slide and any "tight" overtaking attempts is what helped with the tire's life, I think.
(Qualified 8th and finished 2nd with 208 points.)

Last edited:
What is needed for getting the Gift Car? Parttaking in a race or just registering for the gazoo cup? I don't have time today (and normally only drive in the morning).

My God, the shocking behavior of some drivers in this race :mad: My good friend @Zorz can testify it, specially a british and a french who were all over the place; everytime I saw them I was afraid of some possibile shenanigans :scared:

Started 4th, ended 7th :indiff: At least I've obtained a very heavy content video, which it's always good :P

Last edited:
Back