Gran Turismo Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup Returns for 2023 Season

• Thread starter Famine
  • 582 comments
Advance warning to anyone who is intending to do round 2 but hasn't yet - today's race is potentially one of the dirtiest races you will ever participate in.

(GT1 in VR)

I got matched up with @Cabelmania for today's rusty meatgrinder of an event. Qualifying was very frustrating. I'd backed right off from the car in front on the outlap, but still ended up catching him in the final sector on my flying lap. :banghead: I think the pressure of having me right up his bumper got to him since he took himself off on the second-to-last bend. Unfortunately I then was a bit scruffy on my second lap and couldn't improve on my time. I started P7.

In the end though, I'm not certain how much difference it would have made because laps 1 and 2 were a massacre. I managed to thread the needle to start with, then got launched into the gravel by a German at the sharp uphill right hander at the end of sector 2, near enough dropping me all the way to the back. That guy is definitely on my list of people to be wary of now, very aggressive and very dirty.

I ended up at the back shortly after, as Wifi Password (who had been taken out on lap 1) got the run on me down the main straight. He then led to me having another intimate date with Barry R on the following lap since he got completely sideways at the final bend, and trying to avoid him meant my car went sideways too. :rolleyes:

Running on my own eventually meant I caught up with the squabbling pack, and with a few people pitting for tyres (spot the people who don't do full race tests! :lol:) I eventually finished P8, right behind Cabel on the line.

I am definitely not doing that again, even though I know from my practice runs that I have the pace for a very good result if I can not get taken out!

Edit - How did I forget this? :scared: Being in the middle of that in VR was definitely unnerving. :lol:

Last edited:
Advance warning to anyone who is intending to do round 2 but hasn't yet - today's race is potentially one of the dirtiest races you will ever participate in.
Hear, hear, I could have 8th or 9th place if it wasn't for a Swedish driver who put me in the wall before the last corner, so I ended up on 14th place... :irked:

Last edited:
Q2 to P1 in my GT2 race in North America slot 1 today, despite the pole sitter's best efforts to either squeeze me off track or block any attempt to pass (pick a line and stick to it buddy!) In the end it was his swerving all over the track that led him to go off on lap 8 and I easily got by. Thanks, karma.
1881b1ec30477-screenshotUrl.jpg

Last edited:
Had a good clean race today!

Qualified P2 about 0.1 seconds off the leader.

Upon the start of the race, I had a better start and gained P1. Held that for about a lap and a half but was overtaken at the last turn of sector 2 by the original race leader. It was a clean pass, too, so well earned.

P1 and I had a nice smooth race to the end. P1 had started to get a little sloppy but I was only able to close the gap to 0.6 seconds at the finish line.

1881b1bfe3782-screenshotUrl.jpg

1881b1c763b78-screenshotUrl.jpg

Whew, that was fun! I practiced for this race and it paid off - Qd P3, finished P5 and CRB! (good things usually happen when I CRB). I recognized most of the lobby from dailies and such, knew there was going to be some fair competition and I gotta say, drivers 1-6 were clean and respectful and driving hard. 1 and 2 mostly ran away but 3-6 had some great battles over the final 2,3 laps. I lost P4 at the end of sector two on the last lap, but it was a clean and deserved overtake. Hats off.

I can totally see how this race could very quickly go sideways, but I lucked out with the lobby and had a great time. Good luck!

(The Nations series needs more of these road type races, we get enough Gr1,4 in manu)

was that you @afc5150 that won this race?

Fun race for me.

First two laps were a dream, from P11 to P6, but then I went to the sand and became P10. Got a track limits penalty fighting for P8 at lap 5, so went back to P10. Promoted to P9 thanks to a clueless driver who made a pit stop. Not great, not terrible. I don't think I had the pace to maintain P6 anyway.

Oh man my race (GT3) was rough but I got P3 so I'll take it haha.

I qualified third, but was bumped right on the exit from T1 and ended up in the wall, down to P14. I then spun out twice more throughout the race but so many people in my lobby I guess were slower and crashed more, and decided to pit so I got back up to P3. I ended with less than 10% on my front right which was substantially more worn than any of my practice races (usually ended around 40%), but guess it's no surprise with how rough that race was.

Really don't feel like I should have ended third but I'll take it, thought I was gonna have to try again. Practice races helped a lot.

Also, just in general, if I were to try again how does this game resolve which points count? I'm not going to try again for this round but it'd be great to know how it works (does it take the points from the last race you did?)

Last edited:
Guess this one is a no stopper but man I am ridiculously bad at tire saving 🤦 Whatever, we'll see how it goes, I give it one try now. Practice lobby showed that right front dies after like 8-9 laps for me 🫣 But the other tires are just fine for the whole race, so guess I just try to survive then.

Well that race and recent races have been absolute howlers, I have no pace with these 1.31 physics it seems and I have no idea, what to do or what I am doing wrong. I guess first I should have a massive overhaul with my wheel settings, but if it doesn't help, welp looks like I am forced to tank my DR quite a bit, at least 10% if not more. Racing to avoid last place is just not interesting whatsoever. And that is where I am right now.

Last edited:
Oh man my race (GT3) was rough but I got P3 so I'll take it haha.

I qualified third, but was bumped right on the exit from T1 and ended up in the wall, down to P14. I then spun out twice more throughout the race but so many people in my lobby I guess were slower and crashed more, and decided to pit so I got back up to P3. I ended with less than 10% on my front right which was substantially more worn than any of my practice races (usually ended around 40%), but guess it's no surprise with how rough that race was.

Really don't feel like I should have ended third but I'll take it, thought I was gonna have to try again. Practice races helped a lot.

Also, just in general, if I were to try again how does this game resolve which points count? I'm not going to try again for this round but it'd be great to know how it works (does it take the points from the last race you did?)
Yes, it takes the points from your last race.

GT1 in a low ranked lobby again, thank goodness
Didn’t get in a good qualifying lap and started p12. First lap gained a few places and then coming into t1 on lap 2 I got slammed into the Barry R and dropped to p14.

Kept turning laps and caught up to some traffic and made places due to people going off and a couple of overtakes. Was up to p9 on lap 13 and made a pass before the downhill but didn’t make much of a gap so I had the lots of pressure coming into the sharp uphill right and missed my mark and ended up overshooting the corner straight into the gravel.

Lost two places and finished p10.
Frustrated with my performance at the end more so than getting drilled on lap two. Guess it showed me that I still need to work on in race decisions and not to let the pressure take over.

I did enjoy this race more than last week at Fuji.

You can enter as many slots as you'd like, but only your LAST result counts in your points for the round.

Do you have to do all three races? I got first in my first race and wasn’t sure if I needed to keep doing the other two races if I’m happy with my result from the first race.

Do you have to do all three races? I got first in my first race and wasn’t sure if I needed to keep doing the other two races if I’m happy with my result from the first race.
if you are happy with the result, then one is all you need. You can do others if either enjoy it or want to improve your position.

if you are happy with the result, then one is all you need. You can do others if either enjoy it or want to improve your position.
Thanks for the reply, I thought you had to do all three races and they add up and total your score at the end of the round.

Well, I didn't go into this race expecting much. In fact, I did this round purely to get the free GR010 for participating and put in a 20 minute warm-up before the lobby opened.

I qualified 9th. I started gaining ground early in the race until I got pushed into the sand on lap 4, making me go from 6th back down to 9th. However, despite this, I was able to recover gradually. There were a couple of incidents that helped me, but it was apparent that some people weren't tire saving. The fact that two drivers actually pitted confirmed this. I made my way up to 4th by lap 10. I eventually caught up and overtook the two drivers ahead of me, as their tires had less life than mine looking at the replay. The leader's tires weren't great either, but by the time I got to 2nd place, they were already 5 seconds ahead, so it didn't matter.

DF41DF5C-EFD2-4CCF-9A71-72E656B1345D.png

It was also nice to finally do a race with my Collector's Edition Yaris.

Last edited:
Well, I didn't go into this race expecting much. In fact, I did this round purely to get the free GR010 for participating and put in a 20 minute warm-up before the lobby opened.

I qualified 9th. I started gaining ground early in the race until I got pushed into the sand on lap 4, making me go from 6th back down to 9th. However, despite this, I was able to recover gradually. There were a couple of incidents that helped me, but it was apparent that some people weren't tire saving. The fact that two drivers actually pitted confirmed this. I made my way up to 4th by lap 10. I eventually caught up and overtook the two drivers ahead of me, as their tires had less life than mine looking at the replay. The leader's tires weren't great either, but by the time I got to 2nd place, they were already 5 seconds ahead, so it didn't matter.

View attachment 1256547

It was also nice to finally do a race with my Collector's Edition Yaris.
Congrats!
I thought the name was familiar when I saw it in my race! Will remember that next time.

Was busy for slot 1, joined slot 2 and hit warmup, and the game immediately froze. Welp, time to practice for my one and only chance... or play Zelda I guess...

Couldn't do this one and for whatever reason the game decided to not save my points from Round 1 (even though I literally posted my race in this thread) so I'm just at 0 points with 0 races entered.

Yay.
Not sure if you sign back into the series at the next race, if that may do the trick.

I did race today but when I went to enter the race it gave the message about you’re joining in GT1 and will be there for the series thing it does like I wasn’t already signed up. Caught me off guard.

Results were up at 21:00 after the last race tonight. I couldn’t find one of my friends that raced last week but not this week so it may not show your points until you enter next? 🤔

Dirty was an understatement lol.

Q'd horribly and started from dead last. Made it up to 6th by the finish. Hopefully the highlights (lowlights?) reel will make it onto the IoTW videos :)

That race was fun! I raced in the 16:00 (EST) time slot, and spent around 45 minutes doing practice laps beforehand. Didn't qualify so great though; car felt slightly different than from practice (seems odd) and my low 1:38 was only good enough for 10th. Woof. But the race was a different matter. Many cars ahead of me were driving quite poorly early on and before the first lap was over I found myself in 2nd place! (LOL). I made one tiny mistake that hurt, but overall my pace wasn't good enough to keep that position and I slowly dropped back to 7th. However I seemed to be driving smoother and took better care of my tires than those ahead. Made my way back up to 4th by the last lap and then, for some reason, P3 graciously gave me his position (Frosty, if you're on here, thanks again). So 3rd!

I'm competing in GT2.

That race was fun! I raced in the 16:00 (EST) time slot, and spent around 45 minutes doing practice laps beforehand. Didn't qualify so great though; car felt slightly different than from practice (seems odd) and my low 1:38 was only good enough for 10th. Woof. But the race was a different matter. Many cars ahead of me were driving quite poorly early on and before the first lap was over I found myself in 2nd place! (LOL). I made one tiny mistake that hurt, but overall my pace wasn't good enough to keep that position and I slowly dropped back to 7th. However I seemed to be driving smoother and took better care of my tires than those ahead. Made my way back up to 4th by the last lap and then, for some reason, P3 graciously gave me his position (Frosty, if you're on here, thanks again). So 3rd!

I'm competing in GT2.
Qualifying has tire wear, and thus heat, so the car will feel a little different than in practice, which doesn't. Then in the race you get a full fuel load, which makes a larger difference, and can really catch people out which is probably what you saw.

Can someone explain to me why some racers get 250+ points in a round while I only get 159 points in mine. How do they determine the amount of points you get for first place?

League: GT1
Driver Rating: A
Sportsmanship Rating: S

Can someone explain to me why some racers get 250+ points in a round while I only get 159 points in mine. How do they determine the amount of points you get for first place?

The points are based on the DR of everyone in the lobby. So the higher your DR, the more points a lobby can be worth if you’re matched with people of a similar level.

It's an average of the DR rating of all the drivers in the race - very roughly, the winner gets points equivalent to 0.5% (1/200th) of the average DR in the race, with each position getting roughly 0.045% less. Give or take.

At A the most points you could get* is ~250. At A+ it's ~500 (well, it's actually 470something, but I did say "very roughly"). If you're getting 159 for a win, the average DR of your lobby is roughly 32000.

*Not really as it doesn't account for drivers who should be A+ DR but are limited to A due to having an SR rating of A, but in practice that's too rare to care about; even at 100,000 DR each would change the points available by about 30, tops.

Last edited:
2023 Toyota Gazoo Racing Cup
Round 2 - Sardegna B
GR Yaris High Performance

The last week in the practice lobbies, I don't think I ever saw more than 7 racers join the lobby. Low attendance. During practice it became quickly apparent the no-stopper was faster even if by lap 9 you've destroyed the front right tire and have gone to racing with one rim and three tires. I also had an SS ranked driver in one of my practice sessions. After hanging onto the rear bumper for 10 laps and feeling like a champion, he then turned on the afterburners and left me in the dust. Upon review of the replay, he had a slight sliver of front right tire left on lap 15. I had all red by end of lap 10. I studied the replay and came to the conclusion my driving needed major adjustment. He used very little steering input and kept the rear in check while I was drifting half the course and ripping wildly at the wheel. I looked good, I had some fast lap times. But my method was aweful for saving tires. So, back to the drawing board.

Slot 2 Mothers Day took precendece over GT7. After momma was taken care of and everyone was settled down, relaxing and getting ready for bed, this old man slid onto his sim rig and furiously put in 15 minutes of warmup before the race. I got my lap time into the low/mid 15s so I felt ok for qualifying. Lobby opened up and I had @Mistah_MCA in the lobby amongst quite a few other quick folks than tend to leave me in the distance. So, I decided to let everyone head out and give up a possible 3rd lap for 2 good laps with no one around me. It seemed to work OK. I was more relaxed an managed a 15.5xx to start in Q6 for the race. UNFORTUNATELY, I had an infamous driver in Q7. I had a feeling I wasn't going to get the opportunity to save tires and settle into the race like I was hoping for.

By the end of turn 4, my premonition came true. After letting p7 by my me in T1 to avoid any sort of sour racing, he went very wide in turn 3 and I took the position back and quite unfortunately bumped the front left car in the easy relatively easy and routine overtake. Well, he would have none of that and immediately retaliated against my dastardly action of making a pass and sent me flying into turn 4 with a well placed hit to my rear end. That resulted me riding the grass and picking up a 0.500 second penalty. There simply is not a worse time to grab a penalty than Lap 1. 5 spots lost. I ended up right in front of @Mistah_MCA . I had Zwart_Racing right in front of me who somehow snagged a penalty himself. I felt good being sandwiched by two very clean drivers but Zwart was definitely affected by the 0.500 over his head and few bad corners holding me up and the 4 behind me. In T1, MCA went inside and held my line about 2 feet too tight and MCA, being the gentleman driver he is, took a tighter line and got 0.500 second award for his effort. I really hate this game sometimes. MCA avoids my car and gets half a second. Mr Jerk Face hits my car and I get a half second penalty. Its a bit aggrevating to say the least.

After the dust settled, i moved into p8 and I had a great race with Distinct_Mani for about 7 laps. His tires fell off before mine so I was able to use that pace advantage and get by him. Unfortunatley, I was unable to catch back up to p6 before the end. I took him p7 and 270 points. Not bad, but it could've been better. I had a great race with all but one driver. So, tip of the hat to everyone else in the lobby. Good Race. Well Done.

Well that race and recent races have been absolute howlers, I have no pace with these 1.31 physics it seems and I have no idea, what to do or what I am doing wrong. I guess first I should have a massive overhaul with my wheel settings, but if it doesn't help, welp looks like I am forced to tank my DR quite a bit, at least 10% if not more. Racing to avoid last place is just not interesting whatsoever. And that is where I am right now.
Well, wheel settings adjustments certainly helped. Did a bunch of laps at RB Ring Daily C in the Vantage GT3 V12, fairly balanced gr3 car on a simple track. Best potential was a 1.29.322, but did a 1.29.4. After settings adjustments, 1.29.0. Feels much more comfy now with less controller steering sensitivity on my G29. Much easier to steer now.

Lots of Le Mans in June for me. TGR Cup on 4th June in the GR010. Then watching on TV 24hr Le Mans race with a relative the next weekend. Then after that the next weekend, quali for 24hr Le Mans league race. Then at the end of June the week after quali weekend, we run with a 4 man team a 24 hr league race at Le Mans 🏁.

Last edited:
Back