Gran Turismo Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup Returns for 2023 Season

• Thread starter Famine
  • 582 comments
zjn
Looks like next round will be a rh non stopper
Depends how long the pit stops take. Softs should be around 2,5-3 sec faster per lap I think. Also there is the weather, so if it starts to rain and you are forced to swap for inters, then you risk losing so much time compared to the drivers who started with softs.

Rain possible 😄

Depends how long the pit stops take. Softs should be around 2,5-3 sec faster per lap I think. Also there is the weather, so if it starts to rain and you are forced to swap for inters, then you risk losing so much time compared to the drivers who started with softs.

I didn't realize rain is a possibility, thanks. If it's not happening for sure, for GT3 at least, pit is a no-go. I think pit takes at lease 30-40s.
Starting with soft/medium tires may be high risk low reward gamble. It only works if you get important rain in the first half of the race.

zjn
I didn't realize rain is a possibility, thanks. If it's not happening for sure, for GT3 at least, pit is a no-go. I think pit takes at lease 30-40s.
Starting with soft/medium tires may be high risk low reward gamble. It only works if you get important rain in the first half of the race.
Well pitstop is easily beaten in GT1 17 lap race. 17 x 2,5 is already 42,5 seconds and you have the advantage of having fresh tires in the end too. Only way hard strat beats it imo if heavy rain comes a few laps before the end, and the soft runners are forced to pit a second time.

I tried running 17 laps on hards yesterday night and it wasn't pretty... It feels much better on Mediums, with a pit stop halfway through. That is, of course if no rain comes at all. I'm a little puzzled for this next round, the weather seems unpredictable and I still haven't found the right brake balance settings yet. Cant complain though, I like this kind of challenge 😎

What should be the rationale behind brake balance selection in this race?

Note: considerations from an average driver, DR C, with ASB weak

I feel the car breaking better with +5 (all rear)
This is probably eating a bit more rub on the rear wheels, so I think to start with +5 and go to +4 , +3 is if I see that consumption is going up too much
I'm wondering if the rain should require me to change it to 0. I think so, but cannot give a satisfarcoty explanation other that not willing to increase the risk of rear lock

zjn
What should be the rationale behind brake balance selection in this race?

Note: considerations from an average driver, DR C, with ASB weak

I feel the car breaking better with +5 (all rear)
This is probably eating a bit more rub on the rear wheels, so I think to start with +5 and go to +4 , +3 is if I see that consumption is going up too much
I'm wondering if the rain should require me to change it to 0. I think so, but cannot give a satisfarcoty explanation other that not willing to increase the risk of rear lock
I'm in the same class with the same ABS settings, from my testing personally I'm going the other way to having front balance on the brakes to preserve tire life as much as possible since after 8 laps on RMs I'm seeing the rear left drop off some. I tried -5 but I'm likely going to run -4 or -3 I think.

I'm torn between running RM or RS. I was thinking if rain was definitely happening RS might be better at the start but it feels risky since it's kind of an unknown other than it might happen. Last thing I'd want is no rain or light rain where I could have managed on RMs only to have to pit because I went out on softs.

Last edited:
Started in 7th on inters (got punted off in qualifying), changed to softs going into lap 4, put me in 15th but easily clawed time back on the dry sections whilst others switched a lap earlier to inters again.

Rain came back in lap 5 so switched back to inters going into lap 6 put me back a bit but some had stayed on softs so flew passed them when they spun.

Stayed on inters until the end and came 4th at 41 secs behind leader.

I did get punted off track twice and spun towards the end of lap 5 on the softs.

Very eventful race.

DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE RACE START SCREEN SAYING 0% SURFACE WATER, stick to what you see from qualifying, too many made the mistake of trying to start on mediums.

Also I found brake bias -3 to be most stable.

Last edited:
DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE RACE START SCREEN SAYING 0% SURFACE WATER, stick to what you see from qualifying, too many made the mistake of trying to start on mediums.

Also I found brake bias -3 to be most stable.
So you had rain during your qualifier? Did it also show the surface water?

I'm on the West coast USA, so I'll be doing my race in about 7 hours (GT3). Any insight is welcome and appreciated.

Not bad.

Lobby was really strong for me (I already knew most of them), and I am specially bad with Gr.1 cars, but I nailed all my tyre decisions.

During quali I used inters and got pole position while most of the grid couldn't even complete a lap.

I also started the race with inters. Track was almost dry, but it was becoming wet, so lot of people had to pit for inters. Finishing lap 3 I decided to pit for softs, since track was drying and I had hopes people ahead of me would dry it even more; pit lane exit was still really wet and I spun, but it paid off.

I could have won if I had avoided 3 crashes: one caused by a family member touching my nape thinking I knew he was there (8:43), the one at pit exit (14:22) and other one at the esses because I'm stupid (25:40).

P3 in the end. Not bad taking in mind I was really REALLY slow at equal conditions.

18885e395cb42-screenshotUrl.jpg

Last edited:
So you had rain during your qualifier? Did it also show the surface water?

I'm on the West coast USA, so I'll be doing my race in about 7 hours (GT3). Any insight is welcome and appreciated.
Yes, had light rain through the qualifier.

The weather cut off half way through, but keep an eye on the direction it's going and how the surface is when the qualifier ends.

The race prep screen showed 19° and 0% surface water along with a sunny and dry looking track but as soon as the race started the weather was followed on exactly from the qualifier end.

Lso half way through the race the weather map stopped working and then started again a lap later so keep an eye on it.

If it's pale blue for a long time stick to inters as soft are too slippy once the surface is wet for a while at the chicanes.

GT2 B , went only once

Wild wild race with a rain - qualified P11 because i went with Full wets instead of Inters eh
race went crazy , when it started raining hard pretty much everybody got off , spinning and plenty of penalties that was for the whole race , somehow by a miracle i didnt get any penalties from P11 got into top 5 but somebody pushed me over then dropped to P10 after a lap or 2 managed to to P7 and ended in P6 - pretty crazy race so have fun in wet :D

Don’t usually like the Gr1s but that was a fun race.

Some rain incoming in the warmup so I made sure I got out near the front (3rd on track) to be sure I could get a lap in. It didn’t make it to the circuit in qualifying but I think others had traffic problems - I managed a P6 despite a slowish lap and having the no.13 board.

Wasn’t certain of strategy - the incoming rain looked quite light so went for the mediums and hoped for a no-stop. Bumped at the first chicane which was actually a gift, let me cut the whole corner without penalty and get ahead of the midfield pack in 5th. Was only drizzle in the end, not even up to 1 bar on the meter and cleared up by the halfway point. Kept it clean, only a couple of track limit penalties, I was running on my own for a long time.

Most people went for the no-stop. The early leader pitted with softs on lap 4 and only made it back to P3 by the end. I span on the exit of the first chicane on lap 6, cost me a place. Luckily I managed to grab it back on the final lap, as someone ahead made an error and I made a pass into the Porsche Curves.

Medium tyres just about held on and I bought it home for a P6 and 70 points. Pretty happy with that considering my seeding and usual lack of competitiveness in these machines.

Last edited:
Bit disappointed with GT3 C.

Was hoping for some weather but was dry the entire race. Started on softs in anticipation and it was all about protecting the left rear till then end. Race start is 5:20

Last edited:
Bit disappointed with GT3 C.

Was hoping for some weather but was dry the entire race. Started on softs in anticipation and it was all about protecting the left rear till then end. Race start is 5:20

What was going on with P1 in the last lap, did they run softs too but more worn than your's?

Looks like you had a great race.

Watching you flick through the MFD has made me realise I left my TCS on 3 and didn't change it through the whole race even the heavy rain

what does FW light indicate on the steering wheel? It is orange and goes red under lower gear acceleration. Is it to do with the battery power?

As for tyres its certainly a medium no stop. hards not needed. not sure about a double soft pit stop.

Last edited:
What was going on with P1 in the last lap, did they run softs too but more worn than your's?

Looks like you had a great race.

Watching you flick through the MFD has made me realise I left my TCS on 3 and didn't change it through the whole race even the heavy rain
Yeah I haven’t watched the replay back yet but I expect he rinsed his tyres as he was consistently in the 3:30 where I was being a bit more conservative - although not conservative enough really

The game decided to crush literally AT THE END OF THE RACE :mad: So I don't know if I will get the points for this race :(

But, luckily, the recording is saved 🥳 the video is rendering right now, and trust me, it's a MUST. WATCH. :D

The game decided to crush literally AT THE END OF THE RACE :mad: So I don't know if I will get the points for this race :(

But, luckily, the recording is saved 🥳 the video is rendering right now, and trust me, it's a MUST. WATCH. :D
that happened to me in nations yesterday. I know my dr took a big hit, so I doubt the points counted (I ran again later)

I went into this with no expectations since Le Mans is one of my weakest tracks by far, just wanting to see what would happen when the game gets to roll the dice. Sadly, it ended up being an extremely lonely race for me.

I qualified P11 with a 3:26.0 and thought I'll hedge my bets on some mid-race rain and go with the Mediums. I got through turn 2 cleanly and was exiting turn 3 when the game just suddenly murdered me without provocation. On reviewing the replay, I think I got killed by pinball physics as there was a shunt 2-3 cars up that ricocheted back through the tightly packed line, and since I was mid-turn it destroyed me. That (I think) immediately set the stage for a disastrous race for me.

My pace at Le Mans has always been poor and I will make no attempt to claim otherwise. I think I'm just far too cautious there. However, immediately being severed from the pack and losing the slipstream in an A+ lobby as the race begins is practically an instant game over.

I recovered a couple of positions as incidents occurred but then lost them again because the others were just faster and/or on Softs. I kept glancing at the radar hoping for some rain to possibly give me a lifeline and eventually saw some... and then it never actually went anywhere near the track. Lap 8 rolled around and I ended up pitting for another set of Mediums because it looked like the rain was going to completely go by:

1685893781558.png

Skipping ahead to the beginning of lap 16, I see my wipers come on so I check the radar and see this:

1685893905639.png

My thoughts are "ok, probably going to get a little moist, but should be OK if I'm careful". How wrong I was. One of the dark blue patches came across and my god, it poured and poured and poured. The car became completely uncontrollable by Indianapolis and trying to get back to the pits was complete hell. Ended up being a 6 minute lap. :eek::nervous:

I slapped Wets on and went back out hoping that maybe the rain's timing caught people on the lead lap out (since I can't see pit stop information in VR!), but sadly no such luck. They'd all struggled through the lap but much closer to the pits... except for one guy who was still out on Softs for some reason... with 9 seconds of penalties. Yoink!

I ended up not actually finishing as the post-race timer expired whilst I was about to enter the Porsche Curves. Ended up P10 after some DNFs.

Last edited:

And the video is ready; Here we go :sly:

PASSES, CRUSHES, SPINS, LAG, RAIN, PITSTOPS ! THIS VIDEO HAS THEM ALL ! See for yourself :lol:

My word for a mess this was, with help from bad servers... started in 7th place, but was taken out in Mulsanne corner, came out on track in 13th place, but there was cars everywhere, so I kept my cool, drove clean and as fast as I could and ended up in 3rd place, over half way back to B and kept my S. :)

Gran Turismo™ 7_20230604184350.jpg

No rain, used Medium tires, which was half worn by the end.

Last edited:
Back for another go while I don't have to watch the little one.

Determined to get a decent result!!
Well I'll take 3rd on that run it was a bit mental but I don't think it's worth rolling the dice again.

Went out to Qualy on Inters, wrong tire, due to many people making the same mistake though and some even quitting I did end up a respectable 6th.

Started the race on Softs then, wrong tire! Again! Just... Managed to pull it round the 1st lap slowly but it had then started to dry, some on inters, some on softs, was a bit chaotic race order wise but it seemed everyone pitted at one point, except me.

Looked at my tires after lap 5 with no more rain left and they appeared to have half their life left, decided at that point to just say screw it and race it out.

As the leaders pitted I got into 2nd but wasn't able to hold until the end as my tires were looking like this

FxyxLOVXgAADcFD.jpg
:lol:

So slipped back into 3rd on the last lap and still comfortably 22 seconds ahead of 4th by that point. Carefully guided it home and happy to have finished one today, and I'll take the result.

FxyxYtxWcAA-MRp.jpg

Holy cow, did I botch the qualifier! I ran IMs in the free practice pre-race and pitted to RS, getting a feels for the IMs and refreshing my memory on the pit entrance. So I thought the qualifier would still have the softs, check the weather, say hi to @appu and then.... car stilll on IMs! With only 6 minutes and I assume a pit on the outlap wouldn't count as qualifying, so I run the hot lap on IMs. Still manage P10!

Nothing really doing on the radar so , I say, heck lets roll the dice and go Rms no-stop. First lap survive the carnage but getting overtaken like mad by softs. At the chicane at the end of the straight, there is a guy trying push to pass on me. I hold my line, he pushes me outside track limits and then he spins off, no penalty becasue I was pushed. Chats me an ironic 'Nice'. I don't even save the replay, I didn't do anything except hold my line. (He calls out both myself and @appu as dirty in the post race, let's hear it for the GTPers!)

Some light rain mid-race and a couple cars pit for IMs. I thought that was hasty, and was right. I got around the lap on RMs by just being careful and the rain passed. So now in P4 at lap 5, big gap, 15s to P3. But they were on softs and pit after 6, so now P2!. Hold on with P3 behind applying serious pressure within 0.5-1.5 the entire last two laps. Driving very careful on worn mediums, just making sure I don't spin on exits and bring it home for P2! (25 seconds behind P1, I don't recall seeing him pit)

No penalties for me and expected the CRB but didn't get it, thought I should. I'm going to give myself a CRB, just because.

Saw a brief bit of lag where everyone showed one red bar, but with the space in this race, it didn't cause me any issues.

Back