Gran Turismo Unpopular Opinions Thread

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 791 comments
and here you deliver the reason WHY people like jimmy, alpha or me might have that opinion.
For me its the people doing it... i live in germany and EVERYONE (imagine Gary Oldman here) i have ever met, that is into "drifting", is an ABSOLUTE Douche! And i just cant stand it....
I mean i LOVE rally, if you ask me it is the Peak of Motorsport when its about controlling your car. I even like to see these professional drifters that are able to drift with 4-6 people in line together. But the BIG part of "Drift-People" is just guys that have NO skill, just burn their rubber, hit every streetcurb and are generally total Brain-amputees!

At least that is where my opinion comes from.

And as it is an opinion, you should maybe try a little less to argue about why it is silly. It is an Opinion. its like asshole... Everyone has one, some even are one!

And concerning GT Sport. It shouldn't be in.
There is 1 (!!) Mission to it, and its a single corner test, so i guess they just impleneted it for guys like you but didn't give it any other love.
If there was a Drifting GT-League event, i could respect that. but this way it feels like i shouldn't be there in the first place.
Oh boy...

What about my post is the WHY people don’t like drifting? For one, I’m not a drifter, I just admire it like all forms of motorsport.

Second, just because you’ve met a few douchey drifters in your little corner of Germany, doesn’t mean it’s the same in every other corner of the world lol.

Majority of people in motorsport have no skill. It’s only a small percent at the top. Watch a rally, and look how little skill the FWD hatchback class drivers have. There’s maybe 1 in 100 that’s decent.

Like you say, everyone is entitled to their opinion, I can think someone’s opinion is silly lol.

However, when I said silly in my earlier post, I was referring specifically to the notion that “if drifters had bigger balls they would do rallying.” I think that’s silly for many reason, primarily because drifting is far more accessible to people in more parts of the world. Not all of us live in places with established rallying scenes.

I suggest you broaden your horizons...look somewhere like Japan, where guys like NOB Tanaguci, Keichi Tsetchuya, Max Orido were/are both drifters and top level racecar drivers. Or Aussie Supercars champ Shane Van Gisbergen, or IMSA regular Tyler McQuarry.

Scott Dixon doesn’t seem to mind it. What a douche

If anyone’s looking douchey right now, it’s the narrow minded race fan.

Oh boy...

What about my post is the WHY people don’t like drifting? For one, I’m not a drifter, I just admire it like all forms of motorsport.

Second, just because you’ve met a few douchey drifters in your little corner of Germany, doesn’t mean it’s the same in every other corner of the world lol.

Majority of people in motorsport have no skill. It’s only a small percent at the top. Watch a rally, and look how little skill the FWD hatchback class drivers have. There’s maybe 1 in 100 that’s decent.

Like you say, everyone is entitled to their opinion, I can think someone’s opinion is silly lol.

However, when I said silly in my earlier post, I was referring specifically to the notion that “if drifters had bigger balls they would do rallying.” I think that’s silly for many reason, primarily because drifting is far more accessible to people in more parts of the world. Not all of us live in places with established rallying scenes.

I suggest you broaden your horizons...look somewhere like Japan, where guys like NOB Tanaguci, Keichi Tsetchuya, Max Orido were/are both drifters and top level racecar drivers. Or Aussie Supercars champ Shane Van Gisbergen, or IMSA regular Tyler McQuarry.

Scott Dixon doesn’t seem to mind it. What a douche

If anyone’s looking douchey right now, it’s the narrow minded race fan.

Drifting ain't racin'. Scott Dixon is the only one of those names that I've heard of. What does that mean? Well, I'm not super well versed in the motor racing universe, but I have been a fan for a lot of years so I've heard a lot of names. My opinion is if drifters were fast they would race - and you have stated some apparently fast folks that do that kinda prove my point. But, just because they race doesn't mean drifting is racing. Look at Ken Block. Obviously a very fast guy, but not as fast as the other top level race drivers. Those that can't race drift.

Drifting ain't racin'. Scott Dixon is the only one of those names that I've heard of. What does that mean? Well, I'm not super well versed in the motor racing universe, but I have been a fan for a lot of years so I've heard a lot of names. My opinion is if drifters were fast they would race - and you have stated some apparently fast folks that do that kinda prove my point. But, just because they race doesn't mean drifting is racing. Look at Ken Block. Obviously a very fast guy, but not as fast as the other top level race drivers. Those that can't race drift.
Lol not my fault you call yourself a race fan, but don’t know drivers from Aussie Supercars, or Japanese Super GT (which is ironic since you probably drive their cars in GT games lol).

Please, please tell me where I said “drifting is racing”. My god, you people are having arguements with words YOU put in my mouth.

Last edited:
No words in your mouth, some of us are just sharing we think drifting is a waste of... just about everything it uses. But hey.... uhhhh keep at it and those of us that don't care for it will continue that strong shared tradition. Drifting is niche. Tiny niche. Almost no one cares. And yeah, admittedly, no I do not pay much attention to Aussie or the Japanese series'. Still a race fan though.

No words in your mouth, some of us are just sharing we think drifting is a waste of... just about everything it uses. But hey.... uhhhh keep at it and those of us that don't care for it will continue that strong shared tradition. Drifting is niche. Tiny niche. Almost no one cares. And yeah, admittedly, no I do not pay much attention to Aussie or the Japanese series'. Still a race fan though.
Why do you think you speak for so many people? Drifting is niche? Again, see Japan lol.

Also, I’ll just leave this here :P

Why do you think you speak for so many people? Drifting is niche? Again, see Japan lol.

The F1 example is not a fair drifting representation. While it may be a drift it is not nearly the drift that is popular among drifting fans where they wear a set of rear tires out in a couple laps. Drifting is nothing more than a drag race burnout thru a turn.

OMG, what have I walked into?

Although I can firmly set my flag in the "dislike" of the drifting aspect of the game, I can't deny the skill and, more importantly, skill BUILDING of the drift portion of the game.

So, no, drifting (as in the sport) is not racing, but it does not claim to be. However, drifting (as in the action) is most definitely part of racing and more players should take the time to get better at it.

As for an unpopular opinion, here's one. People do poorly at GT because they drive poorly, rather than the penalty system, the matchmaking, the dirty drivers, the trolls, the aids, the wheel vs controller advantage, etc, etc, etc. :D

Last edited:
There's a difference between slip angle and drifting. A race fan would know that. :lol:

Think of Motocross, and what's his name, Ricky Carmichael, (I don't care enough to look this up to make sure it's exact). Massive multi millionaire superstar dirt bike rider. Not a household name, not a household sport.

Interesting that you should bring that up.

There IS a difference between slip angle and drifting, yes, but if you think that the latter and former do not coexist in racing, then I suppose you are not a race fan by your own reasoning.

The aforementioned Ricky Carmichael would employ the same mechanics as drifting to turn corners, as they do in WRC, as they do in motogp, and as they used to do in Formula 1 before the downforce ruined everything. Also, all speedway motorcycle racing is drifting.

Again , look at the pic @twitcher posted. Those Tyrell's are not displaying "slip angle" they are being balanced at that slip angle, which is known nowadays as "drifting".

Omg you think Ricky Carmichael is not a household name. Again, more evidence that you think the entire world thinks the same way people in your tiny little corner do. In North America, Ricky Carmichael is a household name, more than Nigel Mansel or Damon Hill, or Tom Kristiansen, or nearly any European race driver short of Schumi, Senna, and Hamilton.

It’s tough to take anything you say seriously when you blantantly blow off entire other continents and countries that don’t seem to have the same view of motorsport as your tiny little corner of the world.

You don’t know SVG, you don’t know who the DK is, you think Ricky Carmichael is not a household name...bruh, I’m done :lol:

:D

I have lived in North America my entire life and have racing friends who wouldn't have the slightest idea who Ricky Carmicheal is. I would say he is anything but a household name yet they do recognize many current and former F1 drivers by name.

I’d also point out, from my experience watching everything from F1 to local banger racing....outside of F1, WEC, BTCC, and select DTM events, the average pro drift comp from series like FD (USA), IDC (Ireland), Drift All-Stars (Europe), D1GP (Japan) - these drift competitions are drawing larger crowds than STCC, WTCC/WTCR, TCR Europe, Blancpain, European Le Mans, and more. If you’re actually a race fan and watch things like the ELMS round from a circuit like RBR, you’ll quickly notice that the grandstands are completely empty. Not the case at any event in the drift series I mentioned (except for some D1 events which don’t draw massive crowds anymore). Hell, in the US, certain FD events are pulling in larger crowds that NASCAR and Indycar....but you would know all about that, since you’re a race fan :lol: And then there’s stream numbers, where events like the Bathurst 12 hour are doing well if there’s 5k people watching the world feed, meanwhile a typical FD stream sees between 10-20k viewers at any given time.

Edit:
I have lived in North America my entire life and have racing friends who wouldn't have the slightest idea who Ricky Carmicheal is. I would say he is anything but a household name yet they do recognize many current and former F1 drivers by name.
Then your friends live under rocks. Again, your little clique of people and their demonstrable lack of general racing knowledge does not mean anything in the context of whether or not drifting is a motorsport discipline, or whether or not it’s popular in parts of the world different from where you live.

The Veneno is the ugliest car in the game.
It looks like a Transformer who bought his disguise at the Dollar Store. :dopey:

images

Then your friends live under rocks. Again, your little clique of people and their demonstrable lack of general racing knowledge does not mean anything in the context of whether or not drifting is a motorsport discipline, or whether or not it’s popular in parts of the world different from where you live.

That's priceless coming from someone who probably only watches racing from thier easy chair. Me and many of my friends participate from the steering wheel side of the windshield in such disciplines as oval, road course, drag, kart, boat, and snowmobile racing. We as most others who actually spend thier free time racing know we just do not have time to spend living under a rock. I will be the first to admit that I am not the most socially rounded person because I dont have many friends who are not somehow involved in racing but I do pay attention to the motorsport world much more than the average sport fan.

MMX
Figured this was a good place to post this. I've always disliked the Rufs in GT games, because they always drive like crap. The current street Porsche in GTS is no different, and now we're getting two more crappy driving cars. I honestly don't see why people like these cars so much, I think they're terrible.
*Laughs in RUF RGT
*Laughs in N500 GT3RS
*Laughs in N300 996 GT3

Here's a potentially unpopular opinion;

Under certain conditions in a Custom Race, I really quite enjoy "racing" the AI in GT Sport.

Waiting for the other shoe to drop... :nervous:

VBR
Here's a potentially unpopular opinion;

Under certain conditions in a Custom Race, I really quite enjoy "racing" the AI in GT Sport.

Waiting for the other shoe to drop... :nervous:

Not sure if it's really unpopular. I use it to simulate the "stress" of online racing while trying to improve my lap times.

It's also a cool way to train to race super clean in the middle of lots of cars.
I put full damages on, penalties and I try to get from 20th to 1st on Le Mans, Bathurst or Nurburgring... not an easy thing.

I put full damages on, penalties and I try to get from 20th to 1st on Le Mans, Bathurst or Nurburgring... not an easy thing.

Same for me. I also turn off Boost, & set everything up as realistic as possible. Detuning my car by pulling the power down & putting the weight up too, as well as going down a tyre compound all adds to the challenge. If the settings are just right, there is some competition to be had.

The AI was dumbed down from the first closed and open beta.

They probably turned it down due to difficulty. Look at the Porsche endurance race around Maggiore, you used to have to get 6th for bronze, now you just finish anywhere and win. The AI was also brutal during the race in the beta, didn’t even finish first after two attempts.

People just need to get better, don’t cater to the incompetent.

The Veneno is the ugliest car in the game.

Lamborghini stopped making beautiful cars after the Diablo. The ‘signature’ mix of sharp angles and curves they’ve been doing for the past 20 years has overstayed it’s welcome. The Veneno and all other Lambo’s that look like they’re built out of Lego bricks, do nothing for me. It’s no longer a brash Italian car. It’s a big loud Audi that has no soul, compensated by looking like a space ship. Hard pass. No thanks, and I feel bad for the kids that have a poster of this in their bedroom.

All cars in the game that are not race or track cars are a waste of resources and hard drive space.

I used to agree wholeheartedly until I started doing the one make race A in the daily's, many N cars are very challenging and fun to drive on sports or even comforts.

Back