Gran Turismo Unpopular Opinions Thread

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 791 comments
Couldn't agree less. I think that the menu music in GTS is great, it's really grown on me. I especially like it when I'm fooling around in scapes. I find it calming and it gives the game an overall relaxed and elegant mood. There are a few tracks that I absolutely love as well.

I totally respect that. I am glad some people enjoy it!

Drifting shouldnt be in GT games. Its a glorified circus skill.
This is perhaps the dumbest thing I’ve ever read relating to a car game.

Drifting is an aspect of car control, it belongs in any car game :lol:

So drifting is a circus act, but driving a car in a circle really fast is not a circus act? Is that why they call F1, “the traveling circus”?

You're entitled to your opinion, but my god is that ever a meat headed approach to an aspect of motorsport.

FWD cars shouldn’t be in GT Sport - they’re not real race cars, they’re just glorified shopping trolleys”....:rolleyes:

Anyways, moving on.

I don’t know if this classified as unpopular or not, but IMO, SSR7 and SSRX are the single best tracks GT has ever modelled in any of their games, and their use in online lobbies backs up this statement. Aside from the Nordschlief, no other tracks were used more frequently for online lobbies in GT5 and GT6 (their use dropped a bit when Sierra was released).

Edit: the 4 Tokyo tracks are the 4 best tracks in the game, the only ones worth joining in an online lobby. Other circuits are good for Sport Mode, but they all pail in comparison for open lobbies (except for maybe the Nordschlief)

@TheGeologist, in regards to your post on the first page...

You can’t stand fantasy circuits, but you want more fantasy cars added to the game??? Queue the jacky chan”wtf” meme...

The thought of endurance races without at least some form of dynamic time is ridiculous and completely inconceivable for a a game of this caliber, and as such I'd rather not see PD adding them.

Specially after seeing that they can do it, just like they did on GT5.

But even then, 24-minute races can hardly be called of endurance races.

GT's "middle ground" approach towards driving physics doesn't really work for me. When I want a more serious racing experience, I have much more fun with AC and PCARS. If I want a more "chill" experience, I have more fun playing Forza Horizon and Driveclub.

So drifting is a circus act, but driving a car in a circle really fast is not a circus act? Is that why they call F1, “the traveling circus”?

You're entitled to your opinion, but my god is that ever a meat headed approach to an aspect of motorsport.

FWD cars shouldn’t be in GT Sport - they’re not real race cars, they’re just glorified shopping trolleys”....:rolleyes:

Anyways, moving on.

I don’t know if this classified as unpopular or not, but IMO, SSR7 and SSRX are the single best tracks GT has ever modelled in any of their games, and their use in online lobbies backs up this statement. Aside from the Nordschlief, no other tracks were used more frequently for online lobbies in GT5 and GT6 (their use dropped a bit when Sierra was released).

Edit: the 4 Tokyo tracks are the 4 best tracks in the game, the only ones worth joining in an online lobby. Other circuits are good for Sport Mode, but they all pail in comparison for open lobbies (except for maybe the Nordschlief)

@TheGeologist, in regards to your post on the first page...

You can’t stand fantasy circuits, but you want more fantasy cars added to the game??? Queue the jacky chan”wtf” meme...

It's almost as if the thread was called "Unpopular Opinions".

It's almost as if the thread was called "Unpopular Opinions".
The sad thing is that kind of opinion towards drifting is not all that uncommon, at least in North America and many parts of Europe. In places like Japan, Australia, Scandinavia, and many parts of Eastern Europe, drifting is just seen as another form of car control, something fun to do when you’re not racing. A good chunk of the drivers who race in Super GT go drifting for fun on their off weekends, same thing with 2016 Aussie V8 Supercars champ Shane Van Gisbergen.

The sad thing is that kind of opinion towards drifting is not all that uncommon, at least in North America and many parts of Europe. In places like Japan, Australia, Scandinavia, and many parts of Eastern Europe, drifting is just seen as another form of car control, something fun to do when you’re not racing. A good chunk of the drivers who race in Super GT go drifting for fun on their off weekends, same thing with 2016 Aussie V8 Supercars champ Shane Van Gisbergen.
While I don't agree that drifting is "just a glorified circus skill", it's still his opinion in the end and he's entitled to it. You can try to convince him otherwise but acknowledge that it's just an opinion

I was ready to launch into this and then I thought "No, just take 5 minutes to think about it" So I had a fag (cigarette) my balcony and gave this a bit of thought.

Fortunately I came up with a far more polite response that I originally had in mind which is:

I don't deny the skill of drifting, but if drifters actually had a pair of balls then they'd be doing Rally instead. So, yeah, drifting is a circus stunt.

Is that opinion unpopular enough? ;)

I was ready to launch into this and then I thought "No, just take 5 minutes to think about it" So I had a fag (cigarette) my balcony and gave this a bit of thought.

Fortunately I came up with a far more polite response that I originally had in mind which is:

I don't deny the skill of drifting, but if drifters actually had a pair of balls then they'd be doing Rally instead. So, yeah, drifting is a circus stunt.

Is that opinion unpopular enough? ;)
Popular or not, I still think it’s silly. Drifting is far more accessible, and cheaper, than rallying. Rallying only happens very few places, drifting is popping up everywhere.

I also think that your kind of attitude is very dependent on where you’re from. Like I mentioned before, in other parts of the world, race drivers and drifters are one in the same.

Figured this was a good place to post this. I've always disliked the Rufs in GT games, because they always drive like crap. The current street Porsche in GTS is no different, and now we're getting two more crappy driving cars. I honestly don't see why people like these cars so much, I think they're terrible.

MMX
Figured this was a good place to post this. I've always disliked the Rufs in GT games, because they always drive like crap. The current street Porsche in GTS is no different, and now we're getting two more crappy driving cars. I honestly don't see why people like these cars so much, I think they're terrible.
It's like Le Mans, people like them more on because of its amazing history. Porsche is a legendary name in the world of motorsport, and so it always gets hyped up when Porsches are getting added (to any game, really)

I can see how people would like the cars themselves (not including me though), but I'm pretty sure if we get the widowmaker 911 it would get so hyped up only for no one to use it because of its handling :P

MMX

Not sure if serious - the GT3 RS is IMO probably the best handling street car in GT sport - it just goes where you point it, and the RUF CTR2 in GT4 was not dissimilar.

That said there is a certain technique to driving rear engine Porsches - you need to get your weight shifting on point, and they will bite if you're clumsy with them. However once you've got that down then they'll go anywhere you want them to.

MMX

911's will give you lethal understeer and oversteer in equal measure.

Like @Slapped said, you need to keep your weight over the front tires and use the brakes to rotate the car. and you'll experience driving heaven.

GT gets the handling just right, IMO.

MMX
Not the first occurrence I've seen people say that RUFs and the Porsche 911 GT3 in GTS "handle like crap" and are un-drivable. I think it's that most aren't used to controlling a rear-engined, rear-wheel-drive car, since their driving mechanisms are vastly different from that of an FR or MR vehicle. When I first bought a RUF in GT5, I struggled to drive it without it spinning out constantly. Even to this day, although I've figured out what the formula is to driving RUFs and the 911, I still don't have it down fully.

Not sure if serious
Serious. I'm not an alien driver, but I do alright. After trying the mini Enduro for the current Porsche at Suzuka, I said to hell with that car, and that race. I play this game for fun, not to get so frustrated I want to throw stuff. For the people that like these cars, more power to you, but I can certainly do without them, and won't bother me a bit.

Popular or not, I still think it’s silly. Drifting is far more accessible, and cheaper, than rallying. Rallying only happens very few places, drifting is popping up everywhere.

I also think that your kind of attitude is very dependent on where you’re from. Like I mentioned before, in other parts of the world, race drivers and drifters are one in the same.

and here you deliver the reason WHY people like jimmy, alpha or me might have that opinion.
For me its the people doing it... i live in germany and EVERYONE (imagine Gary Oldman here) i have ever met, that is into "drifting", is an ABSOLUTE Douche! And i just cant stand it....
I mean i LOVE rally, if you ask me it is the Peak of Motorsport when its about controlling your car. I even like to see these professional drifters that are able to drift with 4-6 people in line together. But the BIG part of "Drift-People" is just guys that have NO skill, just burn their rubber, hit every streetcurb and are generally total Brain-amputees!

At least that is where my opinion comes from.

And as it is an opinion, you should maybe try a little less to argue about why it is silly. It is an Opinion. its like asshole... Everyone has one, some even are one!

And concerning GT Sport. It shouldn't be in.
There is 1 (!!) Mission to it, and its a single corner test, so i guess they just impleneted it for guys like you but didn't give it any other love.
If there was a Drifting GT-League event, i could respect that. but this way it feels like i shouldn't be there in the first place.

Last edited:
Yeah. Drifting is .... silly. Car control maybe, fast? Not as fast as a real race car driver. The only people that hold drifters to the same esteem as a real race car driver are drifters and their fans, and theirs is a true unpopular opinion.

My unpopular opinion to add to this is GT Sport is a poorly managed project based on the release date, release content, bugs, half completed features, bizarre (though appreciated) ongoing support. Don’t get me wrong, there’s no question there’s some talent there and the product is good, it just looks like they got in over their heads (including wet/snow tires) and didn’t manage it properly.

Back