Gran Turismo Unpopular Opinions Thread

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 791 comments
My unpopular opinion is that I really like Autopolis. It's one of my favourite tracks, and it's given me more than half of my relatively few Sport Mode wins. That being said, that the dailies keep using the same few track layouts is a bit boring.

I also like Autopolis.

Turn 1 is off camber and easy to miss, the first haripin is a weird braking zone where the car is rarely at the right spot.
The second hairpin is on a crest, braking uphill, turning blind and exit downhill. I can't rembember a track with a feature like that.
And the last sector of multiples curves, miss one apex and you screw the turn and your lap time is gone.

The daily races part of sport mode is pretty stale to me, I struggle to have any interest in doing the same race over and over again. It’s just a grind, kind of like playing a looter shooter or something, not fun to me at all.

Just have a lobby where the tracks are constantly rotating instead of doing the same race for an entire week. Change the car category in this lobby every week instead.

Make a preset track list though so you don’t get bad combos like gr3 at broad bean or something.

I am bored to tears with the current and next week’s schedule of daily races. FIA races too. They bring the rain and then it totally disappears.

I wish they’d go out on a limb a bit for the daily race selection. I get going back to popular combos but it sure is getting a bit same-y. There are so many cars that have never got a crack or just one.

- Tsukuba Circuit, Brands Hatch and Willow Springs are a waste of space in GTS.
- There are far too many road cars in GTS.
- RSS tires should only be available on Formula cars.
- Power/weight adjustments on race cars should be unavailable except for BoP.
- Mechanical damage should not be an option that can be turned off.

- There are far too many road cars in GTS.
- RSS tires should only be available on Formula cars.
- Power/weight adjustments on race cars should be unavailable except for BoP.
- Mechanical damage should not be an option that can be turned off.

1) big no
2) why?
3) it's sometimes fun to drive them with max power and lowest weight.
4) maybe

1) big no
2) why?
3) it's sometimes fun to drive them with max power and lowest weight.
4) maybe

- When far better tracks (VIR, Watkins Glen, Circuit of the Americas, Sebring, Silverstone, Paul Ricard - just to name a few) have not been added, yes Tsukuba, Brands and Willow can all bit the dust for even one of those.
- Brands like Bentley, SCG, Louts (quick short list) are not added that have usable GT3-class cars. The too many road cars comes on when a freaking Honda Beat is on the car list rather than something competition-based.
- I don’t not want to beat people in Gr.1 cars with my Gr.2. With stupid power/weight adjustments it is definitely doable.
- At least you partially agree with me on damage.

Liveries Edition:

(You don't have to agree with me, but these are unpopular opinions so deal with it.)

- Monster Energy liveries on literally anything, real or fictional, make me want to throw up.

- People, fast or otherwise, who use default liveries look like noobs. Dress for success.

- If your livery has obvious layering issues or bleeding on it, it doesn't deserve any of the likes it gets. Back to editor school with you.

- The fact that lazy and sub-par artists get tonnes of attention through "L+R" comments is frankly criminal.

But hey, I'm just a guy with 500 followers who makes crappy designs, so what do I know?

I definitely judge people based on their livery. Default set-up in a Super Formula race? What's wrong with you. A heavily pixelated replica with the Sport Mode number boards covering up part of the design? Clearly you have no shame. A plain chrome car with fluorescent wheels? Avoid, because you can't drive. It's an important, quick and easy way of knowing what sort of racing you're going to get from someone.

I can understand people not liking Tsukuba or Willow Springs, but Brands Hatch? Yes, the lack of run-off can be unforgiving in places - especially on the GP loop - but I personally enjoy the flow and varying terrain that both configurations have to offer.

just in general there is far too many people joining lobbies and asking for softs. stop relying on softs and learn how to drive or make your own damn lobby.

I generally run the softest available if tire wear is not turned on otherwise it becomes difficult to be competitive. I prefer lobbies with tire/fuel wear/use and BOP so I am racing other drivers and not tune ups. I like to use different cars for each race but you always run across someone who uses the same car every week for every race because they have a great tune for it. More one make lobbies racing different car/track combos would probably be fun.

People just loudly hate on anime liveries because they think it makes them look something ("mature"/cool/hipster/not hipster/...). Itashas have existed for about 30 years, and they're quite common in racing in Japan. I understand it might not be to your liking, I myself am quite neutral about them, I can appreciate a good one and despise a bad one, but some people need to chill about that subject.

- People, fast or otherwise, who use default liveries look like noobs. Dress for success.

No disagreeing with me on that one.

An unpopular opinion of my own: Ridge Racer Type 4 liveries are as overdone as Gulf/Rothmans liveries; consider liveries from the other Ridge Racer games.

Likewise if you have a livery that's just a flat, garish color and a complete mess of decals (I see this a lot in Sport Mode lobbies), you look equally as much of a noob.
^ This, it's amazing how many people have liveries like these, they stuck out like a sore thumb in a race.
I mean, if you really want to use your custom livery, at least put in a little effort, the livery editor is not that difficult to use :confused:

Anyway, back on topic: I seriously think that the DS3 Racing is one of my favourite FWD car in the game and it's way underrated.

Likewise if you have a livery that's just a flat, garish color and a complete mess of decals (I see this a lot in Sport Mode lobbies), you look equally as much of a noob.
Or any custom livery created without any consideration for where the game will place the car's numbers. There's literally an option to put them on the car in the livery editor, but no, people will put in all that time and effort only to have decals (or, worse, other numbers as manually placed in the livery) partially covered by the car number.

I guess my unpopular opinion, then, is that most of the time I prefer the look of stock liveries to most of the player-made liveries I see while racing (there is a far too high percentage of chrome cars with fluorescent red rims).

Or any custom livery created without any consideration for where the game will place the car's numbers. There's literally an option to put them on the car in the livery editor, but no, people will put in all that time and effort only to have decals (or, worse, other numbers as manually placed in the livery) partially covered by the car number.

As for this, I would only hold racing cars accountable, where the car number is an essential part of the livery - I say this because most road cars have, more often than not, either ridiculous number placement or the sticker is extremely oversized (a good example of both is the Eunos Roadster Touring Car). A road car shouldn't have to deal with the constraints of a forced car number as real life street car liveries are "amateur", which means they weren't done professionally or for a racing team. Sometimes you just want your car to look good without caring if it's Sport Mode compatible or not.

Just to reiterate, all of the above applies to Road Cars only.

Last edited:

This is one of my annoyances. When I create a livery the first thing I do is put the race numbers on so I can design around them. I'd really like a filter in the discovery section so you could filter out anything that doesn't have a number on it. I spend ages scrolling through immediately nopeing some amazing looking liveries because they don't have the GT branded number.

Back