Gran Turismo World Series Showdown Preview: Comeback Tour

• Thread starter Famine
  • 197 comments
Say what you want about these live events but the racing was really good this time around, I didn't even spot any mayor dirty driving.

Also very wholesome words by Daniel Solis stepping in for all the controller guys :)

What the broadcasting (and GT in general) needs tho is a "replay" that doesn't follow a single car but can just stay in a fixed position (maybe like the photomode preset ones) with the user being allowed to cycle through them. A following cam might that randomly switches from car to car every x seconds could also be a cool addition.

Say what you want about these live events but the racing was really good this time around, I didn't even spot any mayor dirty driving.
You can always rely on good racing in these events even the first one back in 2018 while messy it was still very entertaining,it's the known problems that need adressing.
Also as always fantastic commentary and hosting from Jimmy,Tom and Julia.They had the mad task of holding together the broadcast when the game crapped itself.

You can always rely on good racing in these events even the first one back in 2018 while messy it was still very entertaining
Yeah I just remember being a little puzzled from some of the rather dirty moves done by some players back then. So this one positively surprised me :D

Aside from that slightly large shambles of a technical issue - once the racing was fully underway the event was fantastic and really really fun to watch.

Great performance by Solis and Kylian, it was amazing to see Solis on the top step, man is an absolute inspiration and I'm not afraid to say seeing him get emotional about winning made me emotional. Wanted to give the dude a big ol' hug.

Last edited:
"Much better than real broadcasting"

View attachment 1178795
Four cars, camera is wide and tracks all four into the corner.

View attachment 1178796

Camera focuses only on the BMW, can't even see the car being passed.

View attachment 1178797
Camera locked to the VW, can't see the Nissan it's passing.

I could post hundreds of these, because it's constant. The cameras cannot focus/frame more than one car which is absolutely key in good broadcasting of racing. Sometimes more than one car is visible in frame but it's just because of where the other cars happen to be, it's still focusing on one car only and has no clue the other cars are there.
Haha, the first picture, your main example is never going to happen in GT7.

Very good joke.

And then cherry picking Frames from a 90 minute broadcast you didn't watch.

Ohh my 🤡

Haha, the first picture, your main example is never going to happen in GT7.

Very good joke.

And then cherry picking Frames from a 90 minute broadcast you didn't watch.

Ohh my 🤡
Personal attacks, what a surprise. What do you expect, 400 different photos from throughout the broadcast? Two is perfectly enough to highlight the key issue I'm bringing up. I watched it for 10 minutes, I couldn't watch any more because of the poor quality that was miles below real world racing.

Do you agree or disagree that the GT cameras cannot focus on more than one car?

Here is another one. The camera is locked onto the Mazda. To start with the Nissan is in shot by virtue of it being close, but the camera has the Mazda centered as it's focused on it.

Screenshot 2022-07-31 at 00-10-36 English Gran Turismo World Series 2022 Manufacturers Cup Sho...png

But then the camera just keeps tracking the Mazda and we lose the Nissan.

Screenshot 2022-07-31 at 00-11-00 English Gran Turismo World Series 2022 Manufacturers Cup Sho...png

Coming out of the corner, still just focussing on the Mazda.

Screenshot 2022-07-31 at 00-13-41 English Gran Turismo World Series 2022 Manufacturers Cup Sho...png

No real broadcaster/camera operator would do that, they would keep both cars in frame. But GT isn't technically capable of doing that, it's just tracking one car. It's a huge flaw whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Last edited:
Personal attacks, what a surprise. What do you expect, 400 different photos from throughout the broadcast? Two is perfectly enough to highlight the key issue I'm bringing up. I watched it for 10 minutes, I couldn't watch any more because of the poor quality that was miles below real world racing.

Here is another one. The camera is locked onto the Mazda. To start with the Nissan is in shot by virtue of it being close, but the camera has the Mazda centered as it's focused on it.

View attachment 1178804

View attachment 1178805

View attachment 1178806
No real broadcaster/camera operator would do that, they would keep both cars in frame. But GT isn't technically capable of doing that, it's just tracking one car. It's a huge flaw whether you want to acknowledge it or not.
While not perfect, GT’s replay/broadcast experience is far superior to almost every other racing game on the market. Doesn’t mean it can’t be improved of course, but I would like for more games to reach this production quality 🙂

To date this is the only game (+ GT Sport) where I can sit down, watch an esports broadcast and feel like it’s a proper race and not “just a videogame”. They do many things right.

Last edited:
While not perfect, GT’s replay/broadcast experience is far superior to almost every other racing game on the market. Doesn’t mean it can’t be improved of course, but I would like for more games to reach this production quality 🙂

To date this is the only game (+ GT Sport) where I can sit down, watch an esports broadcast and feel like it’s a proper race and not “just a videogame”. They do many things right.
The overall production quality is indeed pretty good, with all the live data and the replays etc. I'm speaking purely of that one issue which for me personally, kills it dead. Everyone is different, but I just can't watch broadcasts like that, with the camera always tracking one car.

I don't watch any other esports racing events either, so I don't know how good/bad they are on that tracking issue.

View attachment 1178804

View attachment 1178805

View attachment 1178806
Personal attacks, I think you may be taking this to serious.

But no worries it won't happen again.

Or the driver is that good? Doesn't always come down to the equipment.

Jimmy said before the race that the Subaru drivers thought they could maybe get 20 laps out of the softs, it sounds like that car is the new old Alfa 4C on tires, so in this case it does seem like it’s the car.

Personal attacks, I think you may be taking this to serious.

But no worries it won't happen again.
You didn't answer my question. Are the GT cameras limited to focussing on a maximum of one car, yes or no?

Last edited:
A few thoughts;
  • I'm glad they managed to get a full race in after that initial red flag, was worried the whole thing could have gone a bit South there
  • They ended up dodging a bullet with the lag issues, but PD really need to fix that if it's happening during a LAN event as well.
  • Tom, Jimmy and Julia always do a good job hosting, but they did extremely well to keep the show moving along during the red flag
  • Porsche went out with a steering wheel (i.e. hardware) failure, which I believe happened in Tokyo a few years ago, albeit in practice so they could replace all the wheels before that event began. It's really unfortunate, but I'm not sure what can be done by PD to prevent issues like that.
  • I don't think Subaru was the fastest car over a lap, but it had much better tyre wear than anything else, which helped it run longer on softer compounds and maintain better pace throughout the length of the stints
  • Kylian Drumont was the driver of the race, he made no mistakes and did exactly what he needed to do.
  • Overall I thought that was a pretty good race!

Will be tuning in again for Nations Cup tomorrow.

Not sure why they used Thrustmaster wheels
SRO Esports is hosting an event today as well. I noticed it's being held at Fanatec Arena. So it could be a staffing thing and they needed everyone in Belgium.

Just checked it out. Great production value. 25K views…. Not bad. Should be a wake up call to PD to adjust either their BOP or physics, as every car but Porsche was an FR. Jimmy was entertaining as always. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come

Was interesting to finally put a human face to the names. Their PSN personas carry a lot of weight and if I ever found myself in a race with them I’d honestly be a little intimidated. Probably not so much now after seeing them, except Bonelli. That guy looked like he wanted to kill someone hunting down Kylian! It showed they’re just regular people that happened to be very good at a video game thrown into this bizarre event.
I really appreciated how much it meant to them though, Solis was cool and was endearing how emotional he was.
A bit shocking they don’t get paid now I’ve seen what a lavish show it is. How many hundreds or thousands of people do get paid to put this show on and the only people that didn’t are the stars.

Just watched the event now, and after the technical mess of the start, I have to say that was a fantastic race.
Very entertaining, especially enjoyed the Subaru / AMG part, and impressed by Drumont performance. Saw him quite a bit on top of leaderboard, and clearly he is a great driver.
Super clean driving all around as well.

Some of the points might need a rethink if you end up with guys in the tour final who are three seconds off the pace
I did my little research after seeing that BMW drowning down the order (1st to last!) and it turns out the Aussie guy who did the 2nd stint (I believe ?) is indeed far from WT level (but seems to be a very funny dude). Indeed he finished 2nd for BMW in the Oceania Manu but the n°1 driver - a Japanese 300 points ahead! - must be under 18 or something.

Check his YT channel: Ohayoghurt

That being said I find it adds some spice to the format and as long as they all drive fair and clean (which was the case) it doesn't bother me. And in some way he deserved to be there for choosing a very unpopular brand in his region and getting pretty decent results in 3 races. Still a bit lucky though!

Last edited:
So 90 minutes of first class racing from some of the best GT7 drivers in the world and and that makes out 5 lines in your.. Ehmmm post?

Not a word about the insane production value that makes other esport racing events look like amateur hour.

What a **** post
I did address the graphical errors.

Latest Posts

Back