Grand Theft Auto IV

United Kingdom
Bristol UK
GTP_Chris
hey guys,

i cant seem to find anything about GTA4.
Arent there any news about it yet? its now 2 years ago since GTA:SA came out...i suppose there should be a new GTA sometime this year maybe? Or did Rockstar stop the GTA production, which i really dont hope.

thank
chris

Arent there any news about it yet? its now 2 years ago since GTA:SA came out...i suppose there should be a new GTA sometime this year maybe? Or did Rockstar stop the GTA production, which i really dont hope.
The next Grand Theft Auto game is due out on October 16th this year on both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. I don't think there's any official word at all yet about what the location, plot, etc. will be like.

KM.

I'm more concerned about the lack of a Vice City Stories for PS2 announcement :( right now.

Everyone better start saving for their PS3s--- I'm gonna likely get mine this summer as I'm betting GTAIV will drive extra sales and am concerned that the console might not be readily available in october

I'm more concerned about the lack of a Vice City Stories for PS2 announcement :( right now.

Everyone better start saving for their PS3s--- I'm gonna likely get mine this summer as I'm betting GTAIV will drive extra sales and am concerned that the console might not be readily available in october

lol, if u guys ran out of stocks with ur ps3, contact me, over here in the stores theres planty left of them :D

at least some good news...now i cant wait for october :D

IEveryone better start saving for their PS3s--- I'm gonna likely get mine this summer as I'm betting GTAIV will drive extra sales and am concerned that the console might not be readily available in october
I bought my Xbox 360 before Christmas because I weighed my options. Nintendo Wii is cheap, (€250) but won't have the next GTA game or other games I'm interested in.

Xbox 360 was more expensive (€400) but will have the next GTA game and lots more games that I'm likely to buy.

PlayStation 3 looks like the most impressive piece of kit, hardware wise, but will be €600 for the good version and won't be out in Ireland or Europe until March.

So I took my chances and bought the Xbox 360, knowing that it'd at least have the new GTA game this October and was €200 cheaper than the new PlayStation. Time will tell if it turns out to be a good buy.

KM.

i cant seem to find anything about GTA4.

GTA: Kansas

:D

GTA: Coke City

This was the new Coke commercial they played during the Super Bowl... but I have to admit, it would be nice if in the next GTA series they offered a career path choice of being a cop. :)

What type of game do you guys think that LA Noire will be like? The trailer screams 1940's GTA.

What type of game do you guys think that LA Noire will be like? The trailer screams 1940's GTA.
The name and style sort of give it away I think...

Film Noir, a very popular style of filmmaking in Hollywood during the 40's and 50's, which helped create several new themes and styles in filmmaking.

Some of the themes that were often included in film noirs were:
  • Criminals
  • Crime
  • Violence
  • Murder
  • Femme Fatale
  • Moral Ambiguity
  • Sex
  • Police
  • PI's
  • Chases
Notice the similarities already with previous GTA's? ;)

Film Noir also popularized flashbacks, and backward story-telling. Film Noir is even more famous for the style of cinematography, which was mostly in B&W (but I'm sure that wont be the case in GT4, just as it isn't for most modern film noirs, aka Neo-Noir). Cinematographers of film noir often used specialized camera angles, lighting that caste a great deal of shadows, and lots of fog.

Some well known neo noir films would include, Heat, Fight Club, Memento, Blue Velvet, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, The Pledge, even Blade Runner... and many many more. The Coen Brothers (Fargo, Miller's Crossing, The Big Lebowski, ec) are huge fans of Noir, and they always find ways of using classic film noir tones in all their films.

However, if I were to guess, I'd say that GTA4 looks like it may be trying to closely emulate L.A. Confidential, which was a great throwback to classic film noir... but in color.

While I'm certainly a fan of the film noir genre... I'm not entirely sure the concept is going to be well received by the 18-29 year old market that GTA is primarily popular with. The very least, it should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Ooops... when you said L.A. Noire, and being that its in the GTA4 thread I thought you meant that was the name of GTA4.

However, I just watched the trailer, and I see now it is a different game from RockStar:

http://www.rockstargames.com/lanoire/splash.html

Rockstar Games is pleased to announce a partnership with Team Bondi Pty Ltd to publish the ground-breaking next generation crime thriller L.A. Noire. Developed by Team Bondi, a new Australian based studio founded by Brendan McNamara, of The Getaway, L.A Noire is an interactive detective story set in the classic noir period of the late 1940's.

L.A. Noire blends action, detection and complex storytelling and draws players into an open-ended challenge to solve a series of gruesome murders. Set in a perfectly recreated Los Angeles before freeways, with a post-war backdrop of corruption, drugs and jazz, L.A. Noire will truly blend cinema and gaming.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

OK, so after watching the trailer for L.A. Noire, then yes, it is definitely a film noir style game... which looks really interesting. I'll have to look into this game. Thanks for the heads-up!

Grand Theft Auto IV set in New York?
Tuesday 13-Mar-2007 9:32 AM Latest rumour suggests NYC will be the setting Rockstar's next-gen GTA

A post in a forum (that has since been removed) that claimed to have insider knowledge on Grand Theft Auto IV has tipped New York as the city of choice.

With both the Xbox 360 and PS3 releases of Grand Theft Auto IV penned in for October this year, the PR machine is already revving its engine. We reported last month that the first ever trailer of the game will be released to the world wide web at the end of this month on March 29.

Will it be set in New York? The rumour apparently came from someone involved in the music soundtrack of the game, that seemed to be going for a NYC feel.

All eyes on March 29 people. You'll find the trailer here on CVG as soon as it goes live.

http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=159852

Hmm...

Got rehashing old cities?

An ideal GTA world (to me) is a larger version of San Andreas, perhaps with a snowy section too?

It would have:
- Much more condensed/packed forests
- Much larger cities with an actual city feel rather than a town with high buildings
- Big variety in the environments (set it in the South Island of New Zealand - see this post for why)
- Places where it gets so dark that you need a torch to see, i.e. caves, forests, allyways in cities, out in the middle of the country etc
- Lots of roads, with a few mountain climbs/dangerous one lane roads and places good enough for touge'ing.
- More wildlife than just bird or fish, including: seagulls that actually walk as well as fly, sharks, whales, cats, dogs, bears, big cats perhaps, snakes, cattle and more

I'd much rather a game where there were more out-of-city parts that in-city as the latter tends to get old quickly if everything looks the same.

I'd much rather a game where there were more out-of-city parts that in-city as the latter tends to get old quickly if everything looks the same.
But too much countryside and wilderness would equally be as boring because there's just not much to do in a GTA game in the asshole of nowhere.

I thought that San Andreas struck a very good balance between urban and rural areas. A few large cities with lots to do, separated by large areas of country and wilderness which was dotted with small towns.

I'd like to see the next GTA game continue on much the same theme but with a few improvements, including some of the ones you mentioned. It'd be nice to drive and explore genuinely dark areas where you need your headlights or a portable torch to explore properly. The forests in the wilderness of San Andreas were just a bit darker at night. Scare 'em up a bit by making them pitch black at night, with just the silhouettes of trees and rocks to see by unless you've got your own light and maybe just a hint of moonlight to see by if you don't have a light source of your own.

Also, as you said, some properly dense forest like in real life. Areas where you can't go by car, you have to use dirtbikes or quads to navigate along small pathways and amongst thick dense foliage.

I also like the idea of more changeable realistic weather. Sure, Los Santos wouldn't get real thick snow, just like Los Angelese doesn't (as far as I know) but it'd be nice to have a city that got snow and ice in winter and wilderness areas that also got a nice blanket of snow from time to time. Or maybe have proper hurricanes in certain areas. A city like Vice City in real life, just life Miami, should be prone to tropical storms with wild winds, heavy rains and maybe the odd bit of flooding. Shake it up a bit. These newfangled multicore processors in the new gaming consoles should be capable of handling these things.

But these are just ideas to spice up the games. Mainly I want more of the same, with maybe a bigger game world and some funky looking graphics. What I like about the GTA games on PS2 I've played is the voice-acting, the scripts, the plots, the characters, the radio stations, etc., which generally rise well above other games I've played.

Maybe some better AI in the game? How about shops and malls that only open during the day? Nightclubs that only open at night and in the early hours of the morning. Streets that are properly busy with traffic in the day and nearly empty at night. Areas with nightlife that are really busy with pedestrians and traffic during the evenings and nights but certain areas that get almost empty. Etc. etc.

And a good solid central character with a good professional voice actor. CJ was very well voiced by Young Maylay but wasn't a well balanced character. Tommy Vercetti was brilliantly voiced by Ray Liotta and was a more well balanced character, simply because they didn't try to inject any sort of poxy emotional sympathy into him whilst trying to also portray him as cold-blooded gangster. He was just a psycho gangster. Nothing more and nothing less. More of that please.

Ultimately, neither CJ or Victor Vance in Vice City Stories work to well, because we're expected to sympathise with these characters as having certain moral reasons for their behaviours (trying to restore their childhood neighbourhood, revenging their mother's death, paying for their brother's medical bills, trying to sort out their coke-addled family, etc.) while in-game they're behaving like nothing more than cold-blooded, drug-dealing, thieving thugs who have no objection whatsoever to dealing out death to anybody they feel like dealing it out to.

Don't make me try to sympathise with a drugdealing murdering gangster. Just give me a gangster and let me play him as a gangster. Just like GTAIII and Vice City did.

Okay, I'm rambling now. I'll give it a rest.

KM.

Actually, i do sympathise with Victor a bit and really like how he doesn't want to do all this illegal stuff to get money but doesn't have much other choice.
I'm fast coming to the conclusion that he is the most realistic character in a GTA game yet. He's also showed a caring side and does laugh every now and then too.

If you play someone like this in IV then i'll be quite happy, the whole 'tough guy' thing has been played out too often in too many games. Vic isn't what i'd call a tough guy (not in reference to his strength though, as he does look strong).

I thought you guys might like this news.

As you know, anti-GTA Jack Thompson has been fighting to pretty much keep GTA IV from being made.

Well, as of March 16, 2007, Take Two Interactive has, in a way, told Mr. Thompson to stfu by doing the following.

On March 16th, Take Two Interactive filed a lawsuit against Thompson in attempt to block him from trying to declare the games a public nuisance.

Props to Take Two. :D

Full Story here.
http://gamepolitics.com/2007/03/16/breaking-take-two-sues-jack-thompson

Me thinks Thompson may even get himself disbarred if he continus his antics in court.

While Thompson couldn't stop Bully from being released, he did have choice words for the judge who heard his case, and he was made to appear before the court yesterday at the request of Take-Two's lawyers to explain why he shouldn't be held in contempt of court. The hearing began with Judge Ronald Friedman engaging in a series of sharp exchanges with Thompson. As can be seen in video of the even posted on Destructoid.com, at one point Friedman summoned a bailiff when Thompson attempted to display a large white cardboard sign.

Friedman then proceeded to tell Thompson that he felt "the statements made to this court about this court by Mr. Thompson, I find inappropriate for a member of the Florida bar, unprofessional, and contemptible." Friedman then read several excerpts from letters from Thompson, in which he called the original Bully hearing "a disturbing abortion of justice" and threatened to sue Friedman personally.

Another tense verbal exchange between a visibly agitated Thompson and an oddly serene Friedman followed. Friedman then said that he had filed a complaint with the Florida bar and that he was going to recuse himself from the case. He warned Thompson that the next judge "might not be as kind" as he had been. Thompson quickly countered with a brief verbal fusillade of his own blasting Friedman's decision while declaring respect for his office.

Latest from Rockstar

3173xq4.jpg

Notice at the bottom "THINGS WILL BE DIFFERENT"

Me thinks Thompson may even get himself disbarred if he continus his antics in court.

It's only going to get worse than that.

Microsoft has now proposed buying Take Two meaning Thompson will have to deal with MS directly now if he continues to oppose Take Two.

It's only going to get worse than that.

Microsoft has now proposed buying Take Two meaning Thompson will have to deal with MS directly now if he continues to oppose Take Two.

I dont MS to own it!! i want it out on PS3!!

GTA IV will still be on PS3 as well even if Microsoft's proposal goes through, it's the GTA titles after GTA IV that we will have to worry about :(

I don't think you'll have to worry too much.

Take Two's interaction with GTA as declined since GTA2. Rockstar, though owned by Take Two, know that their games sell well, and that games that sell well sell better when it's multi-platform.

Back