Gravel: New Off-Road Racer Coming to PS4, XB1 & PC Early 2018

Yeah it did update as you suggested. But I don't see much, or any, improvement in the graphics. I have a 4k HDR TV, but just a normal xbox one.

I didn't see any "option" for HDR video anywhere as outlined in the patch notes, btw.

I've never owned an Xbox, but I believe only the One S and One X have HDR support.

Well I just got this yesterday, second hand disc £15..wow its absolutely brilliant...much much better than the demo they put out...

@torque99 i get a few jerks on the frame rate aswell, otherwise i think it plays well smooth etc replays are good aswell... ps4 pro, other than that i think it looks bloody brilliant and plays great..

Yeah it is a fun under rated game:tup: Great to throw the cars around the tracks. Graphics have improved in latest patches and made all the difference. Enjoy the fun Races (Some AI are quite tough and aggressive) :cheers:

This track is my favourite and the one I always seem to pick first, it has the best lighting at dawn, day and night and the rocks and red dust look great now. I also noticed the AI cars (Exterior) and now the interiors of the cars look better but all views look pretty decent now.
GRAVEL_20180511204745.jpg

It was a real shame they released the full game and the demo before it was finished to this standard - Blurry/lighting etc. (I am sure this must have put some people off not to purchase or go back to the game again ^^^) and there must have been some sales lost over this.

Although it is a fun game, generally graphics do seem to make that difference to most 'casual racing or non racing arcade players' on consoles, reading reviews/comments and feedback on this game.

I don't know why so many games the last few years come out and get patch after patch usually within a few weeks/month. They must see how the game looks on their developer PCs etc. so they must have really high pressure on timescales and pressure to release dates as the release gets closer etc

.....They have made up for it now..It is turning into a fantastic arcade/sim(ish) game and one of my favourites. PS4 is really lacking games like Forza Horizon1-3 so there is still room for new arcade games to make a comeback on PS4. Lets hope Codies Onrush sells millions and this may tempt other developers for more casual racing games I miss.
:P PGR/Grid/Blur/Outrun/Ridge Racer/Sega Rally (I would love these remastered in full 60FPS 4K!) 👍

Last edited:
.....They have made up for it now..It is turning into a fantastic arcade/sim(ish) game and one of my favourites. PS4 is really lacking games like Forza Horizon1-3 so there is still room for new arcade games to make a comeback on PS4. Lets hope Codies Onrush sells millions and this may tempt other developers for more casual racing games I miss.
:P PGR/Grid/Blur/Outrun/Ridge Racer/Sega Rally (I would love these remastered in full 60FPS 4K!) 👍

That's it! I can resist no more I'm going to buy it. I tried the demo & despite really wanting to like it, (due to my soft spot for Milestone thanks to SLRE), really didn't think much of it. But from the sound of things they have now sorted it out. Its a great shame though as they already have an iffy reputation & they seem to do nothing to improve their situation, yet again they have damaged their sales, it's sad.
All I have to do now is figure out what platform to buy it on, Xbox or PS..?

As for the aforementioned remasters, yes please that would be great.:cheers:.

I wish CM would release Grid Autosport 2 & MS PGR5.

I didnt like the demo either @MrCrynox but getting it for £15 its brilliant...im on ps4 pro, not sure how it is on the base...

There has been no change, as far as I can see, to the picture quality on the standard Xbox one, so I would imagine that would be true for the standard PS4. All the enhancements seem only to work on the advanced systems. It still remains blurry and unattractive. Pity, as it's not a bad game at all.

It might be me, but on PS4 Pro, in addition to the HDR and crisper graphics, I am noting significant framerate improvements. Not over the whole race, but it's noticeable especially at the start and during many parts of the replays :confused:

Hmmm.. Seems like I have a first world problem. I have both base consoles and was thinking about getting an X during this year's black Friday deals as I know that moving forward all our beloved driving games will run better on it, but with the all the PS exclusives I'm thinking that perhaps I should just upgrade my PS4 to Pro instead. Trouble is I'm on a 1080P TV.. Decisions!

Xbox One X Vs PS4 Pro is not easy to choose as there is not too much in them performance or graphics wise (for me watching and playing them on my 4K TV one after the other). I know there will be slight technical spec differences.

The Xbox One X is mainly for 4K and Forza and a few Xbox Exclusives with out the hassle of having to upgrade my PC or use the PC in the living room. Forza FM7&FH3 4K made a difference but not as much as I thought (until you zoom in on photo mode) so this gathers dust until I get round to playing Forza FM7 which is great to have and FH3 and all the cars and open world.

So for me the PS4 Pro is the one I go to first (even though I was always Xbox + Xbox 360 last gen) its UI is very easy to use (unlike Xbox one-although this is getting better), has more exclusives including PSVR I enjoy, and most of my games I purchase I go for the Pro as the system overall seems to have smaller updates (the size of the new games and updates on the Xbox One X seem to be huge amounts of Gb more data compared to the Pro) , loads more discounts in the PSN Store compared to MS Store, easier to transfer photos and use and you can play more games offline easier. Both can have external USB HDD drives which I have on both.

Very difficult choice, but the PS4 wins for the Exclusives you can't get on PC/Xbox for me - PSVR (Dirt Rally/DriveClub + GT Sport), Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, Order 1886, God of War, The Last of Us & Hellblade (but this is now on PC/Xbox) to name a few. 👍

Edit: I forgot to add the 4K UHD Blu-ray quality (picture and audio) is far superior on Xbox One X which I use for films. (PS4 Pro has a decent Blu-ray but not 4K UHD)

Last edited:
My progress is zipping along and I made it past the first boss yesterday. Playing on medium difficulty I’m finding this game a breeze compared to SLRE, but it’s still fun. Enjoying that there’s plenty of cars, tracks, and events.

I’m not a trophy hunter but like to check my trophy progress regardless, but at this rate Gravel could be the first platinum I get. The game was basically throwing trophies at me yesterday. :)

My progress is zipping along and I made it past the first boss yesterday. Playing on medium difficulty I’m finding this game a breeze compared to SLRE, but it’s still fun. Enjoying that there’s plenty of cars, tracks, and events.

I’m not a trophy hunter but like to check my trophy progress regardless, but at this rate Gravel could be the first platinum I get. The game was basically throwing trophies at me yesterday. :)

Milestone games tend to be a joke trophy-wise. Some of the easiest platinums available, and definitely the easiest of the racing genre. Hard and Extreme difficulties are much tougher.

Strangely enough, the hardest trophies to obtain will probably be the couple related on online participation, because no-one plays this game online. :P

Strangely enough, the hardest trophies to obtain will probably be the couple related on online participation, because no-one plays this game online. :P

I would be happy to help with that but I play very reduced hours, and being in Argentina, very odd hours, too. But go ahead and friend me (pfei) and if we coincide online I'd be happy to jump in and do ten races.

I would be happy to help with that but I play very reduced hours, and being in Argentina, very odd hours, too. But go ahead and friend me (pfei) and if we coincide online I'd be happy to jump in and do ten races.

Unfortunately I'm on Xbox, but thanks for the offer ;)

Milestone games tend to be a joke trophy-wise. Some of the easiest platinums available, and definitely the easiest of the racing genre. Hard and Extreme difficulties are much tougher.
Are there no isolated difficulty spikes on some random events like in SLRE or Ride? That was annoying.

Medium was too easy for me in SLRE, but with those loading times, I decided that if the game was going to randomly kick my ass so hard that I was forced to reload and start over on medium, I might as well leave it on medium.

Are there no isolated difficulty spikes on some random events like in SLRE or Ride? That was annoying.

Medium was too easy for me in SLRE, but with those loading times, I decided that if the game was going to randomly kick my ass so hard that I was forced to reload and start over on medium, I might as well leave it on medium.

I find the loading times in SLRE quite bearable, but I'm on the PS4 Pro now. I think that has reduced loading times. Can't remember.

The only Gravel difficulty spikes are the smash board events but supposedly they adjusted the AI times to compensate. I had already platinumed it so I can't confirm. But no, there were no events I recall that were particularly difficult. I did the whole career on Medium and only the smash board events had me going down to Easy to complete them.

There was a firmware 5.5 update on PS4 today small (460mb) before you could go online. It said it was performance related. Tried gravel after and it did seem the framerates and gameplay were smoother. Has anyone else tried it after PS4 latest 5.5 patch or am I imagining it looks better and a locked framerate and this was just a standard update for UI stability :ill:

The game kind of crashed on me today.. after beating the second boss in the final race I decided to watch the replay and it got stuck in a continuous loop and couldn’t exit. Had to close the game and restart, only to have lost my progress in the final race.

Not a huge issue, just a little irritating. :odd:

The game kind of crashed on me today.. after beating the second boss in the final race I decided to watch the replay and it got stuck in a continuous loop and couldn’t exit. Had to close the game and restart, only to have lost my progress in the final race.

Not a huge issue, just a little irritating. :odd:

Same thing happened to me but not in the replay. The race itself wouldn't end.

What appears to be the final DLC, the Colorado River track expansion, has been released today. First thing I noticed about this environment is how much it reminds me of the Canyons from Split/Second. There are 4 layout in total, two basic variants and two larger, more complex courses. As with all premium DLC, it comes with another career mode chapter with 24 stars to obtain.
full

full

full

This game is turning out to be really great fun. Even all the cars and dust/detail seem to look sharper with each update recently. At some points it looks 60FPS/4K, not quite there yet but this track especially looks photo realistic as you come down the hill. Scenery looks good too.

I wonder if there will be anymore added DLC after this Season Pass.

Last edited:
Kind of on the fence with the new graphics in the latest update. While they look cleaner and brighter, I didn’t mind the dirty, gritty and almost muddy look of the original.

One thing I’m sold on however, the FFB in Milestone games (SLRE and Gravel) are the best of the off road genre (maybe my favorite overall). There’s nothing better than getting a little air and feeling the rumble in the wheel when you land.

@FT-1 How are you getting on with the new Colorado River DLC around the Dam. I am really liking the new tracks especially the first track has to be one of my favourite ever tracks. It has everything full 8KM in length, amazing scenery, tarmac sections, bridges, dams, long straights, dust, lighting. One of my faves of any racing game. :gtpflag:

Back