GRID 2019

I'm enjoying this game for what it is. It's a touch bare in terms of content, but I like the driving quite a bit.

Sums up my experience too. With more playtime, the sparseness of content becomes increasingly noticeable, but the game still provides a good foundation for a fun experience. Right now, I can understand why some people want to hold off their purchase but once the feature list matches or exceeds that of GRID Autosport (which I am hoping is some point before Season 3 begins), it'll be a must-buy for any arcade racing game fan. 👍

I am enjoying it also very much. It is a great game for short playing sessions for about an hour etc when you don't have much free time.

But I can understand that is becomes repetitive when you are really grinding for hours.

The racing against the AI is a lot of fun. I can say that I have had more fun racing the AI in this than I did in a whole Career of Forza Motorsport 7.

Sums up my experience too. With more playtime, the sparseness of content becomes increasingly noticeable, but the game still provides a good foundation for a fun experience. Right now, I can understand why some people want to hold off their purchase but once the feature list matches or exceeds that of GRID Autosport (which I am hoping is some point before Season 3 begins), it'll be a must-buy for any arcade racing game fan. 👍

This game reminds me Driveclub a lot. Fun arcade racer on launch with serious lack of content. After some time one of the best arcade racers ever. I hope Codies will support this game as good as Evolution did Driveclub. I would love to see this game expanded because foundations are great.

I was pretty meh on it after the first 3 hours, but I tell you, after unlocking most of the GTE and GT4 cars, I've done a complete 180 on it. It's a frickin' blast. I can't help but smile playing some of these races, the racing is solid and I haven't had this much fun in a racing game in a while.
Yeah, track list is thin, but at least the time of day and weather help, plus it's challenging doing them in reverse.

No regrets at all from picking this up anymore.

Last edited:
I decided to take my chance with this one, because its price on Steam had dropped to 68 CAD, and I recently got 72 CAD as tax refund. Thanks, Canada. Very cool.

I've played it for about three hours so far, and for the most part, Grid is genuinely fun arcade racer. Cars handle pretty great on controller (although I had to turn down traction control and stability control down a few notch), it looks very good, and AIs are competent for the most part - although I haven't had chance to play with Nemesis system extensively. Cars sound great, and I also appreciate little details like announcers saying "Smooth racing!" when you are racing smoothly, or crowds cheering when you make an overtake. Every on-track stuffs are solid 9/10.

It's a shame that those things came at the expense of well-built career mode. I'm sure I'm speaking for a lot of OG Grid fans out there when I say career mode was probably the best thing about that game, but as far as I can tell, career mode here is basically same as its Free Play mode. It has some sense of progression in it, but everything feels so barebones. Menu design (another strong point of the Grid Senior) is bland and uninspiring, which doesn't really help shake off that barebonesey feeling of the game.

Bottom line is, Grid Junior is a fun game, but I feel Codies could have done much more with it.

I completely agree, really fun game, but man, so many odd design decisions, UI, barebones career just a wall of races, no sponsorship or team other than a co-driver, lack of a cohesive garage, the rent only one specific car for freeplay, etc.
They created a lot of unlockable pictures/banners whatever to keep a player going instead of fleshing out the career more. Seems following the first Grid's career would have been an easy home run.

E2B01E2B-C307-4C9C-AA96-B44B35C38E13.png
This is crazy.

Not so crazy when you realized GRiD 2 was free on humble bundle several months ago.

...that shouldn't matter in the slightest. When more people are playing an older game in the series then the newest iteration, then that speaks to something having gone wrong with the newest game, or in GRID 2019's case, negative buzz and word of mouth.

Should I also not mention that GRID 2019 also has only 45% of the user reviews be in the positive range, out of 215 on Steam?

upload_2019-10-17_15-43-24.png

Or, you know...this?

upload_2019-10-17_15-48-15.png

Not like it's any better on PS4 either.

Last edited:
Downloading now. Missing the real World Time Attack today. For less than the price of one ticket, toll and fuel, just bought the game.

Post release thoughts

Your thoughts exactly mirror my assumptions about this game - Normally I'm all over a new racing title, but having seen the minimal content in the base game, and then having to buy the DLC for more events/cars I decided to vote by keeping my wallet closed.

It appears that I'm not the only one either. A quick look on steamdb this morning shows sales in the first 10 days to be between 20 to 50 thousand which in my mind for a heavily marketed and supposedly triple A title (if going by the price) is dismal. Also it shows that 8 times more people are currently playing Assetto Corsa, a 5 year old title, than are playing GRID.

Now I know that the PC game market is different to the console market, so maybe the uptake on console has been greater, but I have my doubts.

Now if GRID truly has bombed in terms of sales then I'm in two minds about it:

The good bit - it means that people have finally wised up to Codemasters practices, and are no longer prepared to pay triple A money for what is essentially an extended demo version. Hopefully this will give Codemasters the necessary kick up be butt it needs to start producing complete games where further paid DLC is a nice to have rather than an essential component of the game.

The bad bit - if grid has really bombed, then this puts the development of further free DLC, such as the promised tracks, in jeopardy. If you've paid into the season pass already then you'll get what's in the season pass as Codemasters are contractually, or at least morally obliged to provide it, but as far as the free DLC is concerned then the question is why put further development into a loss making game that can't be monetised.

I also think the time of the generic arcade racer is over, unless it brings something new, fresh, and/or unusual to the table. I think these days that people expect and want realism, and that when they drive a Porsche 911, for example, then they want it to behave like a real Porsche 911, and not like a powerslidey Ridge Racer clone from two decades ago.

IMO Codemasters should go back to their racing roots and do what they do best, and that is produce focused racing titles again. I think a large number of us would really appreciate proper BTCC, DTM, V8 Supercars, etc, titles reflecting the current seasons.

I'm enjoying the game for what it is. The price is definitely steep for the content but the no nonsense racing spirit this game has is a good option for me right now when I'm too tired to drive on DR2.0.

Juggling a sim and an arcade racer is a good recipe I find.

I think what they should focus on improving in further patches is the multiplayer. That part of the game is way too underdeveloped; alarms should be going off for Codemasters on that front if they want any form of longevity for this title.

I think what they should focus on improving in further patches is the multiplayer. That part of the game is way too underdeveloped; alarms should be going off for Codemasters on that front if they want any form of longevity for this title.

I was surprised to not find any limited-time event challenges that have been part of the DiRT series for the past 3 games. If anything, there should at least be weekly championships with payouts based on how high you rank on the leaderboard.

Daily and monthly events would be nice too, with the latter featuring a series of longer races from multiple disciplines for higher payouts.

I was surprised to not find any limited-time event challenges that have been part of the DiRT series for the past 3 games. If anything, there should at least be weekly championships with payouts based on how high you rank on the leaderboard.

Daily and monthly events would be nice too, with the latter featuring a series of longer races from multiple disciplines for higher payouts.

Completely agree. They should implement the Dirt Rally 2.0 online features; I don't see what is keeping them back from doing that. Alonso himself has been vocal about the competitive aspect of the game; CM shouldn't be hanging him out to dry like that lol.

Last edited:
Your thoughts exactly mirror my assumptions about this game - Normally I'm all over a new racing title, but having seen the minimal content in the base game, and then having to buy the DLC for more events/cars I decided to vote by keeping my wallet closed. It appears that I'm not the only one either.

I think GRID's launch window puts it in both a good & bad spot. The price/content equation doesn't appear to be able to propel it to a sales opening like a Gran Turismo or Forza title, but it launched close enough to the holiday season that it may get a reprieve, but it will bring in less money than CM had been hoping for. As some of us have mentioned, GRID will likely fall into some Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales. For $60 for the regular copy ($80 for the Deluxe edition), that's the sticking point. GRID likely has enough at a lower price point. I am actually pretty hyped to play it, but I have been able to talk myself into waiting for a bit of a price cut. Only another month to wait.

I am now half way through the career mode, and i like that it has some unusual cars like the time attack or "pro" trucks that you don't usually find in other games. Also the gameplay remind me a bit of driveclub.
GRID_20191022000204.png GRID_20191021192345.png GRID_20191021192248.png
The graphics look good to me (PS pro).

But i guess with the timing of the game and the mixed reviews it will probably be discounted in a couple of weeks?

hmm new patch

Hotfix 1 - 21/10/2019

This patch consists of visual improvements and some fixes, including:

Multiplayer

• Multiplayer: Resolved issue of players starting races early, or not at the same time
  • Multiplayer: Resolved issue of player losing control in Quick Match – Time Attack events
Visuals

• Fix for HDR rendering, causing grading to work incorrectly
General

• Resolved issues that were causing game crashes, including from the live results screen

Im waiting until near Xmas to get the game,when hopefully it'll be cheaper - first time Codemasters has let me down really. The lack of content is a real disappointment - and i was hoping for something like a next gen version of Autosport but it doesnt look like it....do you still race teams such as Kicker and the rest? I loved the rivalry between the teams in Grid AS.

Im sorry....

BUT WHAT IN THE ACTUAL 🤬 IS THIS 🤬 CODEMASTERS?! SERIOUSLY?!
EHsm4UyWsAAIzN5

I've encountered some bugs where the game has pretty much "stolen" wins from me. I was across the line first in a stock car race (offline) but somehow I was second.

Our GRID 2019 “review” is up. You can listen from 13 mins or so onwards

I listened to all of it. I agree with most of it - the ultimate irony in all of this is that even going back to DiRT 4, where I believe a lot of this rot started - the games that Codemasters has made are fun enough titles when you strip it down to the base in terms of racing, but everything else is so disappointing and reeks of a developer trying to get in on the grift that other publishers have done. Whether it was the incredibly poor usage and subsequent dumping of My Stage in D4, and barely supporting the game other then a few patches in the first 90 days of release, to reselling content from DR1 into DR2.0 under the flimsy guise of 'remastering' (And then subsequently screwing over Deluxe Edition owners by forcing them to buy yet another season pass) to now the likely bombing of GRID 2019, it really just goes to show that whatever sort of good gameplay is present, that Codemasters sees fit to piss it all away, and that people are starting to wisen up to their scummy consumer tactics.

I'm also glad that you brought up some of the behind the scenes stuff with Codemasters, because from what I've heard through the grapevine, it really seems like the rot mentioned isn't going to stop - and this sort of stuff that has been emblematic of DR2.0's post release content, and now GRID 2019's, is just going to continue in order to please shareholders and continue to prop up the F1 series.

Back