GRID Autosport First Impressions

• Thread starter Awong124
  • 557 comments
If ibnumgt1 was referring to the freezing I had mentioned, I am all but certain it is specifically related to my own malfunctioning PS3 unit, not GAS itself, although it is still much more pronounced in that game than any other. Several months ago GTAV was about as bad, along with missing objects and textures(which has not been a major issue in GAS), but interestingly enough that doesn't seem to be nearly as bad anymore.

I finally have a drive to back up my PS3 to now, so I can finally start trying to find out whether it is an issue with my disc reader(seems unlikely but you never know), my HDD or a problem somewhere in the rest of the PS3's componentry.

I do the discipline playlists. Great fun. 👍

Yeah, when I discovered those, I was happy that finally I could have full 12 car grids online! Before I raced in the lobbies that I found which usually had just 3 to 5 people. Plus there aren't that many lobbies in general.

I gave multiplayer a try today. I chose the Open Wheel playlist with my Formula C. ''Event in progress''. 4 people, including me. Waited 5 minutes before giving up. Same goes for 'Quick Join'.

:indiff:

Are people waiting for the patch or the multiplayer is really as ''dead'' as it appears?

I gave multiplayer a try today. I chosed the Open Wheel playlist with my Formula C. ''Event in progress''. 4 people, including me. Waited 5 minutes before giving up. Same goes for 'Quick Match'.

:indiff:

Are people waiting for the patch or the multiplayer is really as ''dead'' as it appears?

Good to know I'm not the only one who finds Grid's multiplayer to be dead... :( The only playlist that gets enough people is the All Disciplines one.

Man, why from the 80,000 copies sold, so few players are online??

Good to know I'm not the only one who finds Grid's multiplayer to be dead... :( The only playlist that gets enough people is the All Disciplines one.

I belive the corrupted saves play a big role. Oh well, I'll give the 'All Disciplines' a go later then.

I gave multiplayer a try today. I chose the Open Wheel playlist with my Formula C. ''Event in progress''. 4 people, including me. Waited 5 minutes before giving up.

You probably joined the lobby right at the beginning of the race. There's a 30 second pre-race menu where you can repair, upgrade or tune your car, as well as view the rules and such (much like in the offline races). Then there's a 60 second cut-off for the end of races. Add the level-up/cash reward screens to the mix, and an average event may take around 7 or so minutes to complete.

Just a heads-up, but it pays to stick around.

You probably joined the lobby right at the beginning of the race. There's a 30 second pre-race menu where you can repair, upgrade or tune your car, as well as view the rules and such (much like in the offline races). Then there's a 60 second cut-off for the end of races. Add the level-up/cash reward screens to the mix, and an average event may take around 7 or so minutes to complete.

Just a heads-up, but it pays to stick around.
I don't have that sort of patience (even though it was the only room available in the playlist) nor am I huge on multiplayer in general - unless it involves rallying.

Sorry :P

I imagine most are hogging the servers on FM5 and GT6.

I have a new entry in the Stupidest Things Sherman Says competition:

"I have a current standings update for you - our team is down on points. We need to be higher." (Or any variation thereof.)

It's a fairly reasonable thing to say. The problem is that he says it when I'm leading the race, and it's a championship where no points are given for pole or the fastest lap. There is literally nothing more that I can do to score points.

Anyone noticed how he also says things like "Your teammate has crashed out. He hasn't lost any places though"

By his definition "Crashed out" means lightly brushed a wall.

"I have a current standings update for you - our team is down on points. We need to be higher." (Or any variation thereof.)

It's a fairly reasonable thing to say. The problem is that he says it when I'm leading the race, and it's a championship where no points are given for pole or the fastest lap. There is literally nothing more that I can do to score points.

Yes I hate that. When I am on poll 50% of the time and always finishing on the podium and my team mate is finishing 14-16 maybe Sherman should find out what my team mates problem is and quit bothering me about it :)

Yes I hate that. When I am on poll 50% of the time and always finishing on the podium and my team mate is finishing 14-16 maybe Sherman should find out what my team mates problem is and quit bothering me about it :)

Same here, I think I am going to disable radio messages as they do not help as much as I thought, it is more annoying than anything else.

Today Sherman told me my team mate crashed out when I look he had in fact gained a position since the last time I looked lol.
The voice ques do seem to be all over the place and very frequently gives the wrong info.

Anyone noticed how he also says things like "Your teammate has crashed out. He hasn't lost any places though"

By his definition "Crashed out" means lightly brushed a wall.
''He hasn't lost any places though''. Looks at team mate's driver position dropping from 12th to 15th.

:lol:

That's the impact ratings.

White = Lowest impact rating (doesn't smash into people)
Green = low
Yellow = Medium
Orange = likes to get a bit 'touchy feely'
Red = "Is this a Demo Derby?"

glad i found this. initially thought it was something to do with online connection speeds

"Keep it up, you're leading. Ravenwest are leading this race."

I know one is referring to the drivers' standings and the other to teams, but it sounds silly.

I'm a fan of "Team Monster Energy are 2nd in the standings." No, they're 4th in the team championship, 6th and 7th in the drivers championships, and 8th and 12th in the race.

And then he says it seven more times during the race.

I was expecting for it to feel more like their F1 games. The handling of the cars in their F1 games feel rock solid, with no floatiness whatsoever. So that shows me that they are definitely capable of producing a handling model that feels absolutely solid, but they chose not to.

I'm sure you now realize that is the difference between GT Cars and F1 Cars, and that is downforce.

Last edited:
I sure you now realize that is the difference between GT Cars and F1 Cars, and that is downforce.

I don't think that has anything to do with the floaty sensation, but I guess it's possible. They could have tried to simulate a lack of downforce with a floaty feeling, but it's kind of a weird way to do it.

I don't think that has anything to do with the floaty sensation, but I guess it's possible. They could have tried to simulate a lack of downforce with a floaty feeling, but it's kind of a weird way to do it.

I don't think the F1 games and Grid are running the exact same engine. They're both based on the Ego engine, but for F1 it's definitely tweaked to have less body roll. Case in point, driving the Dallara Indycar in Grid still has that floaty feeling, even with downforce cranked all the way up. Admittedly, Indycars have much less downforce than F1 cars, but it's the best comparison that we have.

Back