GRID Autosport - General Thread

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 102 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
“We're going to do a high quality texture pack on PC to really show off the cars,” Richard Kettlewell, senior programmer at Codemasters, tells me.

“It's quite large, isn't it?” says Clive Moody, Grid Autosport's producer

“Well, it's condensed now, it's only 5gb,” says Rich.

“Down from...?” I ask.

“30.”

“We've got these little go pro-style cameras that get really close to the car bodywork,” Kettlewell explains. “We're doing the high quality texture pack on PC [because] otherwise the image could break down a little bit when you're playing on 1080p.”

To put those textures in perspective: the full Grid Autosport install is about 11 GB. So before the textures were compressed they alone where three times the size of everything else in the game. Now they've been compressed you'll be able to get everything installed and running for just 16gb of your hard drive space.

The high res texture pack will be a free DLC released via Steam on Grid Autosport's release day.

Codemasters tell me that development Grid Autosport is PC-lead. “Everything's just a bit bigger and higher res detail on PC,” says Kettlewell. “Better shadows, higher res car reflections – that's something else we've put a lot of work into on Autosport, getting the car paint effect to look as authentic as we possibly can.”

“We're locked to 30fps on console, we're clear on PC,” Moody adds. “60fps is really nice, it gives you a great experience. And, it can be played on a three displays. It has full peripheral support – wheels, controllers...”.

“We've got it running on 4K in the next room,” says Adrian Lawton, Codemasters communications manager.

“The thing about being PC-lead is that in the past we'd think 'Oh we can't do that on console' so we wouldn't do it,” says Kettlewell. “Whereas now the reaction now is 'Oh we can't do it on console but let's do it on PC.'

“We have little dashboard reflections. In head cam you can see reflections on the windscreen, something we'd never be able to afford to do on consoles without breaking our fps performance limit. In the past we wouldn't have done features like that but now we're thinking we can do it on PC. Better lighting and things like that. Little bits in lots of places.”

From what I saw of Grid Autosport, those little bits add up to a great game. We'll have a full Grid Autosport preview posted soon.

source: http://www.pcgamesn.com/sorry-consoles-grid-autosport-pc-has-30gb-high-res-textures

Just saw this today in a gaming TV show. Finally I can relive the moments of playing the classic GRID. This could keep me occupied for a while. :D :D :D 👍

EDIT: Just a question, will it be available for PS3?

Schedule for May.
As a heads up, just head the video team have almost finished the gameplay videos, will hopefully get those to you by end of this week.

Next week (Starting 5th)
  • Mechanical Damage Details
  • Supported Wheels
  • Location Spotligh (one of our announcement ones)
  • Black Edition info / trailer
  • Team reveal

Week After (Starting 12th)
  • Two location spotlights, again, we're just ticking off announcement ones so far.
  • Touring Cars in depth (possibly!)
  • Team reveal
  • Steam pre-orders live
  • Multiplayer and Racenet Intro

Given that this is Rob Hollands BTCC car, it fuels further speculation.
10150776_508230512614113_813384615_n.jpg

Oakley were in the original GRID if I'm not mistaken, so I wouldn't get any hopes up.:indiff:

Last edited:
Anim8r, you probably won't be allowed to answer, but why didn't AS come out for the U since architecture wise it's closer to the PS3 and 360?

Anim8r, you probably won't be allowed to answer, but why didn't AS come out for the U since architecture wise it's closer to the PS3 and 360?

Yeah, I can't answer that I'm afraid..... purely cause I don't actually know! lol. Good question for our community manager though. Can ask on the Codies forums, twitter or our facebook page. They make a good effort to answer all questions, so you should get a response.... (I'll even fire a cheeky email and ask for you aswell :))

The communication efforts of Codies are appreciated a lot and I like the way they open up and give inside peeks into their company and developement. Next to that it will build a foundation for the future. Interaction with enthusiasts and customers will make your product in the end a lot stronger.

Even if there are parts of the game that I don't like, Tuner for example. It's communicated and no false promises are being made. Clear and transparant 👍

Below a positive example from Codies forum made by an employee about the handling :

....... The knock-on effects however had the potential to be pretty extreme. The most important part of any car is the tyre model, as the tyres are your only points of contact with the road. Get the tyres wrong on any given car and you might as well pack up and go home. One of the things we look at on each car is its behaviour at the slip angle - the point at which the tyre is unable to twist any further relative to the direction it is actually travelling, and so starts to slide instead of gripping.

Our original model had a very sudden drop in grip at this point. Now we still built good cars around this, but people we had coming into test were making points about how sudden the grip loss could be, and how this differs from real tyre behaviour and lacks that ever elusive 'feel' that we're looking for.

So Gin (our lead handling designer) started looking into ways to improve this, and prototyped some different tyre behaviours, and we settled on a more gradual grip loss beyond the slip angle. Our graphs now much more closely resemble real world data, which gives players a better feel for their cars and also makes recovering from a loss of grip more natural and controllable. Making that change across each car was really easy, it's just a couple of values to adjust in our tools. But once you change the tyres... you changeeverything. On some cars it was a straight up improvement and an easy win, but some had to be re-worked almost from scratch.....

Last edited:
The communication efforts of Codies are appreciated a lot and I like the way they open up and give inside peeks into their company and developement.

Yeah... it's something we're really working hard at. The studio and company has changed somewhat in the past 12 months.... for the better. We're really wanting to get feedback from the community and fans. It also helps that I'm also one of those fans and long term community member.......long before I started working here.... as are many of our team. We're not just Game Devs.... we're Motorsport nuts and Racing game fans too..... a lot of people seem to forget that :D

That game was incredible, still remember flunking obligatory Mass at school to do multi-tap 4 player races. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back