Grid size - what do you can the PS5 handle?

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 122 comments

How many cars do you think the grid size will increase to?

• It will stay at 16-20

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Increase to 20-24

Votes: 68 28.9%
  • Increase to 24-30

Votes: 69 29.4%
  • Increase to 30+

Votes: 60 25.5%

• Total voters
Spectating is something I wished for since Silverstone was included in the franchise. I remember there being pics of the track, shown from the stands point of view.
The pre-race demos/grid screen, in GT Sport, makes we wish to watch replays J. That way. It would also be great for spectators to select static cameras at certain locations:

- T1 at any track
- chicanes
- the entry-exit to long straights, to watch cars disappear into the horizon
- hard braking areas after long straights
- Start/Finish line or the Flag waving box
- race control(tower) view

Also to be able walk around as well, would be so cool!
I swear avatars will be a thing in the next game.

From the time we saw spectators moving out the way in Grand Canyon, the avatar for GT Academy and Marshalls at Goodwood. More avatars walking around the tracks and Marshalls waving flags, I do hope our avatars can be mobile. At least let us walk around the pit garages.

2 opponents and 10 cars in game they steal us money the world ends and bye bye PD mafia hahahahahaha a:D:D:D:D:D

Joking obviously, I think 30 cars would be fair

I think it should be larger for courses that typically have more cars on the track IRL, such as the Nordschleife, but I also think there should be limits depending on the course, especially when we discuss courses that are being remade from the PS1/PS2 era, where the grid was a mere six cars, and the courses potentially being designed around that. Of course, with the changes that could be made to courses like we see with Trial Mountain, this may not be a concern. Indeed, with enough modification, perhaps we could see very remarkable grid sizes for these older courses with minimal issues.

Obviously I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised to see an increase over GT Sport.

As an example, Ride 4 is soon to be released on both the PS4 and PS5.
I'm struggling to find an official number for the PS4 version, but everything I've seen are grids of 12.
Whether that's the max. for offline and online I'm unsure.
But the developers have this to say regarding the PS5 version: "Thanks to the extra power of next gen consoles, all races both online and offline will be now even more compelling, with 20 riders competing for the victory!"

Ray tracing.
... may not be an always-on feature, as another talking point for GT7 is 120fps support (and 240 for a GT in the far future).
VR, Ray Tracing, HFR and Extra Large Grids may be features available in a variety of configurations, but not all at once. E.g. Competitive Online (Sport) would have definite HFR, most likely some form of RT, grids capped at 20, VR unlikely (there may be a separate online VR racing mode)
Offline racing could potentially run much larger grids, at least for special events, as seen before in overtaking challenges like the Sierra Time Rally from GT6. We could see 40 cars at an oval with simpler reflections, or a huge amount at the Nürburgring but only at 60FPS. As consoles become more and more like gaming PCs, we should hopefully see more options.

I don't think the number of cars on the grid will be set by technical limitations this time around.
There will always be a technical liimtation beucase the developers work to and within those limitations. Be it polygons, resolution, HDR, RTS, cycles of code etc. etc.

We might get larger grids, but there will still be a technical liimtation to how large those grids can be as a maximum while achieving the desired performance from the game engine.

Last edited:
There will always be a technical liimtation beucase the developers work to and within those limitations. Be it polygons, resolution, HDR, RTS, cycles of code etc. etc.

We might get larger grids, but there will still be a technical liimtation to how large those grids can be as a maximum while achieving the desired performance from the game engine.
Yes, what I'm saying is the technical limitation of the PS5 will be higher than the limit chosen by PD for gameplay reasons.

Yes, what I'm saying is the technical limitation of the PS5 will be higher than the limit chosen by PD for gameplay reasons.
I see your logic and it could be true, but PD are likely to push what the game can do with the maximum number of cars chosen. There's always the argument that if they sacrifice x they can increase y, I'm sure they could manage more cars on track at once in GT Sport if they reduced the resolution, effects and number of polygons per model etc. No doubt GT7 will be no different in that regard, PD will choose the grid size that suits thier requirements I guess.

Ray tracing.
Not necessarily. Large multiplayer grids are mainly CPU intensive, and if singleplayer grids are say, of 30 cars or more that means the GPU can handle rendering 30 cars at once. IMO the limiting factor will be CPU.

My realistic guess is between 24 and 32. My dream would be 50... lol

Again, there are already 30 cars "on track" in GT Sport. I guess one way to test how many can be seen at one time, try to hold up the field.

I hope for multiplayer we can have somewhere between 35 - 40 players but in reality we will probably be sticking with 20 players.

I swear avatars will be a thing in the next game.

From the time we saw spectators moving out the way in Grand Canyon, the avatar for GT Academy and Marshalls at Goodwood. More avatars walking around the tracks and Marshalls waving flags, I do hope our avatars can be mobile. At least let us walk around the pit garages.
Don't we already sort of have avatars? Since at least GT6, too. I'm personally hoping for female avatars in the next game, not that I'd use them, but I think it'd be great for the women who do race, like that one who's doing real well in the FIAGTCs for Oceania.

If a smaller grid means more power to AI, physics, graphics and sound, then fine with me if grid size remains the same. No idea how PD is going to prioritize it.

Although improvements to the physics are always welcome the biggest single improvement I would like in GT7 is a wider selection of period tyres. A classic car shouldn't have to be fitted with modern road or racing slicks that make it super grippy. Of course you should be allowed to fit modern tyres, but there should be classic road and racing tyres befitting of the era the car was active in that come with those cars.

That would make a huge difference to how a lot of the classic cars handle and be a huge improvement IMO. There are other improvements that can be made of course, but I would love period specific tyres to make an appearance.

Don't we already sort of have avatars? Since at least GT6, too. I'm personally hoping for female avatars in the next game, not that I'd use them, but I think it'd be great for the women who do race, like that one who's doing real well in the FIAGTCs for Oceania.
I'm meaning even moreso. We saw avatars washing cars. We had B-Spec Bobs. We can customise race suits and place drivers in cars and in photos.

Maybe our avatars will be able to interact with the environment.

At first, I was rather ambitious with these numbers, dreaming about 64 plus grids in an offline career mode VLN race, with maybe as much as 5 classes. 12 cars in each class with an extra 2 cars in the class you compete in and 2 more in randomly selected class. Now that may sound way too much, but whether this will be possible on PS5 or in the future I reckon that's the closest we may ever get to an actual 160+ VLN grid on a GT game, and have the ability to experience a good portion of the unique multiclass element the Nürburgring employs IRL which makes it so special.

For the sake of balance though I've entertained the idea that the VLN races would be the only races where a grid of 64 cars and 5 classes would be possible. The VLN races and N24H race would be the halo of the career mode.

GT7's career mode could then feature unique races where special versions of the tracks are specifically coded to hold a large grid of cars and support 5 classes at once. Such as VLN with 64+ cars 4-5 classes, Le man's races and championship series calendar venues sub 50 cars and 3-4 classes etc. This would be largely dependent on track length. It would be nice to have consistency in grid numbers no matter the mode but I believe it would be better to experience this calibre of races offline.

A 30 car grid count would be great as a maximum for the majority of the game, but of course it's still a large number and should not be really seen until the mid-tier events in career mode. Arcade mode and online lobbies would allow you to set the maximum grid of 30 at will, with the possibility to set a division of 3 classes racing at once. This should be dependent on if the track meets the requirements though, so no 30+ cars on Tsukuba or Willow springs layouts.

The minimum number of cars I would want to see in career mode races or any other event in GT7 is 12. I just shudder to think how I used to do those hours long races in GT4 with 6 cars.:nervous: Great game but the life-like timed endurance races with those 6 car grids were pretty laughable and lonely. GT5 definitely improved on it but not greatly.

Hopefully we can experience some semblance of packed grids on GT7, particularly in the most iconic races/tracks where in real life a large entry list is typical

Last edited:
Again, there are already 30 cars "on track" in GT Sport. I guess one way to test how many can be seen at one time, try to hold up the field.

GT Sport supports 38 car grids with no out of sight trickery taking place, if forced higher the game will crash when preparing race.

GT Sport supports 38 car grids with no out of sight trickery taking place, if forced higher the game will crash when preparing race.
Any video or code to share? I'm just interested.
Puzzles me why we only get the one instance with 30 cars and can't simulate that in Custom Race.

It's interesting to note (At least going off GT Sport) that the majority of fictional tracks supports around 20-30 pit boxes with only Dragon Trail Seaside and SSRX able to hold 40 and 42 respectively while Blue Moon Bay is the only track to hold 50.

And then there is the amount that the Real Tracks have:

Tsukuba - 32
Brands Hatch - 33
Willow Springs (Big Willow) - 20
Willow Springs (Streets of Willow) - 12
Willow Springs (Horse Their Mile) - 12
Suzuka Circuit - 52
Autopolis - 46
Catalunya - 48
Laguna Seca - 24
Monza- 24
Goodwood - 25
Bathurst - 36
Red Bull Ring - 32
Spa - 42
Le Mans - 48
Interlagos - 23
Fuji - 45
Nurburgring - 32

That would give us about 9 Real World circuits that can hold 20 - 30 or so cars, 5 that can hold about 40 or more and Suzuka as the only circuit with 52 . Looking those numbers, that roughly gives us a total of 30 tracks that can hold around 20-30 with 6 that can hold about 40 and only 2 tracks capable of holding up to about 50 or more.

While I would like to see how many more tracks we get in GT7 (With only Daytona and Trial Mountain officially confirmed as returning) before I speculate about offline, online I only realistically expect at most a moderate increase to about 24-28 purely due to connection quality. Even then, That's assuming they actually have servers capable of holding more then at most the 20 we currently have for FIA events.
Your count for the Nurburgring is for the GP circuit, the ADAC 24 hrs layout and event commonly have entry lists in three figures.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/05/29/160-car-entry-for-2019-nurburgring-24-hours.html

Your count for the Nurburgring is for the GP circuit, the ADAC 24 hrs layout and event commonly have entry lists in three figures.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/05/29/160-car-entry-for-2019-nurburgring-24-hours.html

Absolutely, its abit overwhelming at times after watching events in just double digits :lol: I didn't count it though because in the context of the game (Or ANY serious driving/racing game regardless of platform) those are figures that I can't ever be reached anytime soon, at least not for a long while.

Last edited:
Absolutely, its abit overwhelming at times after watching events in just double digits :lol: I didn't count it though because in the context of the game (Or ANY serious driving/racing game regardless of platform) those are figures that I can't ever be reached anytime soon, at least not for a long while.
Rfactor2 does give you the option for AI counts above 100, not sure what PC you would need to able to run with that count however.

Last edited:
Back