Grid size - what do you can the PS5 handle?

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 122 comments

How many cars do you think the grid size will increase to?

• It will stay at 16-20

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Increase to 20-24

Votes: 68 28.9%
  • Increase to 24-30

Votes: 69 29.4%
  • Increase to 30+

Votes: 60 25.5%

• Total voters
The Sport Mode Daily Race screen show 24 players. I think the beta had that many available. It's possible we could get those extra four positions.

The Sport Mode Daily Race screen show 24 players. I think the beta had that many available. It's possible we could get those extra four positions.
While it’s not impossible, I can only imagine that they’re going to try to add in more demanding features, at the very least, making it less plausible. I’m just wondering what the trade off is going to be with what they want to add and what already exists.

I think it's fair game that they could heavily update GTS to match whatever improvements they make for GT7. Who knows what sort of efficiency and performance improvements they could make to the game engine, and then patch GTS to match. That would be a hefty patch, basically reinstalling the core game files, but it makes sense to me.

I think it's fair game that they could heavily update GTS to match whatever improvements they make for GT7. Who knows what sort of efficiency and performance improvements they could make to the game engine, and then patch GTS to match. That would be a hefty patch, basically reinstalling the core game files, but it makes sense to me.
If it was fair game it’s weird that they haven’t attempted to do much with it in that regard. I doubt much is gonna change within the year time frame we likely have until the release of GT7, considering the types of improvements it would need to match A potential GT7 hasn’t happened in the many years the game has came out, really.

If it was fair game it’s weird that they haven’t attempted to do much with it in that regard. I doubt much is gonna change within the year time frame we likely have until the release of GT7, considering the types of improvements it would need to match A potential GT7 hasn’t happened in the many years the game has came out, really.
Well that's because the new game isn't finished developing yet. If they were planning a GTS update to match a more-efficient PS4 version of GT7, they obviously wouldn't be able to do that until that version of GT7 is finished because they've needed that time to revamp GTS as well. And there's not really any reason to release that update before GT7 debuts. If this is the case, I would expect that GTS update to be published around the same time GT7 debuts.

Why on earth would they significantly update GTS if GT7 is on PS4? As if they haven't got enough of a workload.

GTS will almost certainly be put on the shelf once GT7 releases, anything else would be bonkers.

I agree. GTS only gets FIA events and so far, one car, as mentioned by PD, months apart. GT7 is going to need a brand new disc and digital download.

The recent reveal of Assetto Corsa Competition for next gen consoles, shows a potential 24 car grid. That’s with dynamic weather and all the features seen in the current console generation.
I guess this is good news for GT7 PS5 players. This could be a sign that 24 car grids could be a feature for Lobby hosts. If there are no dynamic weather/ToD transition, could be possible. Maybe not Sport Mode Daily & FIA races. Unless, PD have found a way to fill the already empty four places, seen in race entry screens.

Unless, PD have found a way to fill the already empty four places, seen in race entry screens.
In the FIA "Superstars" races, they used to fill them - normal FIA races still only had 20 drivers, but until the final 2018 season they also had "Top 24 Superstars" events, as seen in YouTube videos from back then:

For 2019, they dropped those races back to the "Top 16 Superstars"... don't know if they ever explained why.

Also, another curiosity from that video... apparently the Peugeot VGT was one of the best cars in Gr. 1 back then?! :boggled:

Ten cars are the most I've counted in the trailer. We've had 20 car grids at Spa wet. Not sure if the grid will be dialled back for Variable weather.

and what about career mode? maybe 16 cars at most?
Pick a number until we get more info. Variable weather wasn't expected due to cross-gen, but there it is. (All the maybes)Maybe PD found a way to get 30 cars on grid with variable weather. Maybe 16. Maybe drops to 10. Mayybe 8, as seen in that Tsukuba footage.

A large grid driving at Le Mans at night might have been a good showcase, but who knows why we didn't see something like the GT5 trailer:

Pick a number until we get more info. Variable weather wasn't expected due to cross-gen, but there it is. (All the maybes)Maybe PD found a way to get 30 cars on grid with variable weather. Maybe 16. Maybe drops to 10. Mayybe 8, as seen in that Tsukuba footage.

A large grid driving at Le Mans at night might have been a good showcase, but who knows why we didn't see something like the GT5 trailer:

Man live pitstops would have been cool. But I doubt they would reduce car counts especially for sport mode if they continue with their events on GT7.

From what I've seen so far, I'm expecting the same grid size as GTsport. It's hard to say the exact size for sure, give the fact that Dynamic T/W are back. Could be more if this was exclusively developed for PS5, but that wasn't the case unfortunately.

I’m fine with 16 to be honest. That way they can optimize visual fidelity while maintaining a solid 60 fps. I mean, it’s a GT game after all, we want it to look as pretty as possible, don’t we? Besides, the AI is most likely gonna suck, so bigger grids are pointless.

I’m fine with 16 to be honest. That way they can optimize visual fidelity while maintaining a solid 60 fps. I mean, it’s a GT game after all, we want it to look as pretty as possible, don’t we? Besides, the AI is most likely gonna suck, so bigger grids are pointless.
Pointless offline perhaps, but not online. There, bigger grids are needed.

We know this game is based on Best Motoring. Some of those BMI races were fastest or latest car at the back and Keiichi Tsuchiya would overtake all the cars before the last lap. GT is exactly that.
However, many players still want to have a decent battle through the whole race. Same argument of why do I have to race online versus humans to have a great battle, when other games have found ways to produce competitive AI?
Yeah, it's PD's game and they can do what they want, but 25 years later? Same AI?

Anyone ever take a count of the cars in the la Sierra time trial? Could we do a time change and variable weather at that circuit? Would be interesting comparing that to the Lago Maggiore GP 30 car grid.

Bump ditty bump bump.

A few posts mentioning a future PS5 pro or slim. If the performance is being improved, I wonder if increased Grid sizes will be realised.

Bump ditty bump bump.

A few posts mentioning a future PS5 pro or slim. If the performance is being improved, I wonder if increased Grid sizes will be realised.
Pretty certain that performance isn't the limiting factor, its the networking capabilities.

We had 20 players in early GT7 GTWS and Sport races, they would constantly hang and have the servers crash - they reduced it to 16 and the problems dropped tenfold. Obviously something changed in that regard in the move to 7 from GTS.

I've no doubt with some basic optimisation that a PS5 could handle 30 cars without worry, but evidently their servers cannot handle 20.

Pretty certain that performance isn't the limiting factor, its the networking capabilities.

We had 20 players in early GT7 GTWS and Sport races, they would constantly hang and have the servers crash - they reduced it to 16 and the problems dropped tenfold. Obviously something changed in that regard in the move to 7 from GTS.

I've no doubt with some basic optimisation that a PS5 could handle 30 cars without worry, but evidently their servers cannot handle 20.
I’m mainly wondering how the load is with 30 cars and VR, for the World Circuits portion of the game, over Sport Mode play. I understand attempting 30 VR players for online would be crazy.

I’m mainly wondering how the load is with 30 cars and VR, for the World Circuits portion of the game, over Sport Mode play. I understand attempting 30 VR players for online would be crazy.
It wouldn’t surprise me if it's sort of a symptom of itself. It's pretty obvious PD are attempting to funnel players into Sport Mode and their lack of networking capabilities there might mean they don't want to have a big discrepancy between offline and online play.
It would be weird if we had 30-odd driver grids offline and yet only 16 online, I don't think it would be a good look for them.

That said, it's all speculation - PS5 certainly does have hitches in some places (Road Atlanta and Trial Mountain are quite notorious for it) so it could just be direct performance issues after all.

Back