Grid size - what do you can the PS5 handle?

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 122 comments

How many cars do you think the grid size will increase to?

• It will stay at 16-20

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Increase to 20-24

Votes: 68 28.9%
  • Increase to 24-30

Votes: 69 29.4%
  • Increase to 30+

Votes: 60 25.5%

• Total voters
Rfactor2 does give you the option for AI counts above 100, not sure what PC you would need to able to run with that count however.

When was this? Its been a while since I've kept up with rfactor2 so this is something I completely missed. 100 AI or above sounds like you need a really beefy PC to handle that.

Last edited:
When was this? Its been a while since I've kept up with rfactor2 so this is something I completely missed.
I was able to increase the AI count above 100 when I was playing about last night, dialled it back to 30 in the end

To be honest, I don't care if we stay with 20 cars. I just hate the slow AI!
6 fast cars on PS2 is better than 20 cars on PS4. GTSport offline races are the most boring because of that slow AI. I'd love to see 40 cars at Le Mans but if they drive like zombies, no thanks.
It sure is better to have 5 competitive cars than 19 bad ones.

When was this? Its been a while since I've kept up with rfactor2 so this is something I completely missed. 100 AI or above sounds like you need a really beefy PC to handle that.
Actually tried this last night, despite giving you the option to run up to 103 AI, it actually caps out at 90 in total (89AI + you), I could run it, but the frame rate took a hammering on my default settings.

I'm fairly sure that GT Sport already handles more than 20 cars on the grid.

16 cars in Open lobbies.
20 cars in Arcade races, most of GT mode races and FIA Races.
24 cars in some FIA Races (not sure if its still a thing anymore but i have some old footage to confirm it was a thing).
30 cars in that Driving Mission 6-10 Endurance race.
38 cars according to Whistle Snap and his video of him messing around the game via a modded PS4.

Since GT Sport can actually handles 38 cars on the track, I think that GT7 might have around 20-30 at the very least if not more.

That and other track focused games like Forza Motorsport, Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2 handle around the same if not more.

Last edited:
Another thing about car count. In Project Cars on console, four classes of cars can be run together. Eight cars per class maximum. I just ran a Mission Challenge and for the first time, noticed it involves Gr.1(the Alpine)-Gr.4.

Could be possible we see 24-30+. If we could multi-class all classes(Gr.N100-Gr.1), that's what?..15 classes? In a grid of 30, two cars per class. Hoping we'll get a grid size increase and proper multi-class options.

With all the demands of physics, online stability, cinematics/HUD, sound, graphics, liveries, damage, weather, FIA license, 12K/240p resolution, etc.

I'd say, we will revert back to 6.

Another thing about car count. In Project Cars on console, four classes of cars can be run together. Eight cars per class maximum. I just ran a Mission Challenge and for the first time, noticed it involves Gr.1(the Alpine)-Gr.4.

Could be possible we see 24-30+. If we could multi-class all classes(Gr.N100-Gr.1), that's what?..15 classes? In a grid of 30, two cars per class. Hoping we'll get a grid size increase and proper multi-class options.

Agreed, multi-class racing could be real fun. I also think the grid size should be dictated by the course, though I suppose it already is, as there likely will only be so many pit garages available per course.

24-30 is enough a good balance and not too taxing for the hardware considering all how much the game will already push PS5 and with so much to handle I think is reasonable 25-30 because of the taxing detail of the cars, physics, AI, damage, sounds, behaviour and not too mention Ray traced, dynamic time, damage, day night cycle, 60fps and 4k and other stuff handling everything in a race it's not easy even for ps5 with all of that, it's not a supercomputer and even for a supercomputer it's a big effort to handle everything at same time, so if they manage all of that with 25 cars or 30 cars it WILL be enough.

50 cars is insane even for a future PS6 with everything to handle

My hope is a 24-30 open lobby grid big enough, but not to big to create server chaos. The only limiting factor I can think of on why larger grid sizes weren't offered for lobbies in GT Sport was that there was no in game party chat. On ps4 it started at 8 available slots and grew to 16 over psn party chat. My guess and hope is that ps5 will have the ability for a larger psn party chat, or that PD goes back to the ingame chat feature. I'd prefer the latter.

The way PD handle multi-class for SuperGT, I think they're heavily invested in that. PD did mess up the 50/50 GT500/GT300 grid when they added the '08 cars. Now, there are 12 GT500 cars and only 8 GT3/GT300 cars.

Upping theh grid maybe doesn't guarantee a realistic grid. Could be that they mix in the old JGTC cars(ASL, Subaru Impreza LM, Amemiya RX-7s, JGTC Supra, HSV-010) with new SGT(New Supra/NSX/GT-R GT500 etc.). I mean, that's the way PD think.

Hopefully, the way Mission 6-8 multi-class GR.3/GR.4 is in GT Sport, we get that for this next game. It'll make the larger grid sizes worth the effort.

Last edited:
Larger grids for multiplayer no problem with, but with single player, I would rather have improved AI, this is just a rant but I think larger grids in single player would just exacerbate the AI problem, It seems PD current solution for AI difficulty is to ever spread out the field with rolling start single file, with a rabbit up front, starting the player near the rear of the field, so all your ever doing is setting up your car to chase down the rabbit that usually has broken away from the field by several seconds. Hopefully PD will break this loop this go around.

More to question at hand, if after optimization for dynamic weather/TOD, track detail, FPS there’s still ceiling, then increase the the grid size.

Last edited:
We do know they are working on AI with the new AI writer job listing. How good will the AI be programmed? We'll of course have to wait and see.
If that tech conference on December 11, can explain some features of GT7(during current development), hope AI are one of the talking points. That's if there are any talks about GT7.

Extra grid sizes would help in spectating. I don't know how PD spectate and get the instant replays, but I think having slots for spectators should be an option. Maybe it also makes switching drivers easy. Teams would pre-assign drivers to a car. So, drivers automatically switch during pit stops.

Just now seeing the car count(24) in this screen(when first entering Sport Mode).
ErLjCJOVEAEf8LY.jpeg

Something PD forgot change/update from the beta or early build.

I think the grid size should depend on the track, for one thing. And I think it will, as there will likely only be so many pit garages per track. But when there's a track where the maximum grid size is also the largest for any course, I'd personally love 30 or more, as I recall the real-world Nurburgring 24h can have hundreds of cars on-course at once. And this is hopefully in addition to multi-class racing. Heck, when the FIAGTCs return in GT7, there could be two Manufacturers Series: a Gr.4 championship, and a Gr.3 championship, with each round for each championship being essentially shared. Maybe there could even be a Gr.1 championship running alongside it, albeit with less automakers than the Gr.4/Gr.3 series. Same thing with Gr.2, especially if they add modern DTM cars, which would allow BMW, Audi, Mercedes-Benz, and Aston Martin into Gr.2 - as well as Toyota, with the new GR Supra GT500.

Although maybe not every class would be in every round. Maybe each class would only be racing every other, or every few rounds, but overall combined with another class each round insofar that every class gets an equal number of rounds. So for example, the Gr.1 Manufacturers Series would usually be racing at courses that you'd also see in the WEC, plus some of the original courses, and if there's a round at Le Mans, Interlagos, Spa-Francorchamps, and/or Nurburgring GP, it'd likely feature both Gr.1 and Gr.3, not entirely unlike the actual WEC where there's LMP1 and GTE at those respective courses.

With all this in mind, I also worry that PD would focus too much on having real-world prizes, and for the sake of costs involving said prizes, they'd only have two FIAGTCs as we've seen already. Still, multi-class racing could be real fun. Perhaps even the N-Series could get involved in the Manufacturers Series. I mean, I think with better restrictions on vehicles and tuning, more N-Series races in the FIAGTCs (Nations Cup or Manufacturers Series) could be very interesting indeed, such as a round where you need to pick a classic JDM roadster, and you'd be able to pick from the Toyota Sports 800, the Nissan Fairlady Z 2000, and the Honda S800. Or imagine a race just for the various sporty pickups, like the Toyota Tundra TRD Pro and the Ford F-150 SVT Raptor - especially if they add the Dodge RAM Rebel and Chevrolet Colorado ZR2.

I suppose I digress, but my main point I'd like for everyone to take away, is that the FIAGTCs have tons of potential for further development, and some of that could very well involve multi-class racing, especially with a potentially larger grid size in GT7. If there was a Manufacturers Series round at the Nurburging Nordschleife, for example, that could have potential to be an ideal multi-class race involving Gr.3 and Gr.4. But I really would like it if more classes were involved in the Manufacturers Series, as well as if the Nations Cup had more interesting restrictions on eligible cars per round. I'd at least be content if more automakers joined the Manufacturers Series, but I just hate it when we have a Nations Cup round that permits any car within a featured class, and then it just turns into a one-make with the most meta-relevant car. I'd much rather have stuff like some of those Daily Races where you could only use the Group C racers within Gr.1.

Last edited:
It's still a fine line with anything other than Manu races. Having to choose a car, people still work out the META. Yes, it's different because of only three slots. However, after Oceania, it becomes nearly a One Make for the rest of the world.

I've thought about multi-class Manu races. Just becomes a problem if some players like to use all classes for that brand. That's why I suggested there should be an option, where players can just choose the one car, when signing a contract.
I know players don't have to race all races and they could just not use the other car, but having a car they prefer not to drive, sitting in their garage, may be an annoyance.

The thing about car numbers will depend on the servers. I think that was brought up. Offline wouldn't matter. Especially, it PD use the same pit animations. Some FIA animations, just show our cars sitting in a garage(Bathurst) or parking lot( like at Goodwood) before a race. There could be 50 cars in pit lane.

Still, grid size would probably depend on how many people are in a room online. Could be a 40 car grid, but only 16 people, in a mixed rank, are playing at that hour.

I've thought about multi-class Manu races. Just becomes a problem if some players like to use all classes for that brand. That's why I suggested there should be an option, where players can just choose the one car, when signing a contract.

I suppose that's partially why I think it'd be good to have separate Manufacturers Series championships for each class. So if you prefer Gr.4 or Gr.3, you don't have to pick out two cars just to have one of them sit in your garage until the season's over - you could instead just sign up for the Gr.4 Manufacturers Series.

It's still a fine line with anything other than Manu races. Having to choose a car, people still work out the META. Yes, it's different because of only three slots. However, after Oceania, it becomes nearly a One Make for the rest of the world.

Which is why I think it'd be better if the Nations Cup was limited to one-makes and races with more specific vehicle regulations, like some of the daily races where you could only use the Group C cars within Gr.1. I think it'd also be more fun to spectate, like if they had a race where you could only use kei cars, or the sporty pickup trucks.

Meanwhile, the only time you'd likely be able to see all that a given class has to offer would be in the Manufacturers Series, and therefore, I'd have a separate Manufacturers Series for each class - especially if some automakers are able to get representation in each class. I'd say Gr.1 especially has potential, between IMSA GTP, other LMP1 racers, VGTs, WEC Hypercar, LMDh, DPi, LMGTP, LMP900, and so on. That's before we get into Gr.2 and the potential additions of BMW, Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Aston Martin, the new GT500 Toyota GR Supra, and other likely Gr.2 machines like the Honda HSV-010.

And then there's the possibility of new classes being added - you've likely seen me clamoring for a "Gr.1V" and "Gr.3V" for vintage prototypes and grand tourers. Finally, I'd say we could even see special N-Series championships within the Manufacturers Series, like for who has the best kei car. But I think I'm getting off-topic yet again...

Last edited:
Safe to assume that with the announcement that it is now a cross gen title, grid sizes are not going to increase in GT7.

Maybe we get ray tracing, 4k 60 fps and dynamic weather with more cars and tracks for ps5 and some features here and there, but it wll not turn to be gt7 we should have on ps5 new gen hardware. If we get what I mentioned we are lucky indeed considering they will not push ps5 that much to accomodate it working on ps4

Back