Grip bug thread

• Thread starter GT_Alex74
  • 570 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180109222908.png

Here's the Suzuka lap that @Seikenfreak brought up earlier.

I mean, is it just me or does that not look like more than just a grip exploit? Watching the steering input move back and forth seems too smooth and deliberate to be real. That, plus the throttle and brake is never modulated I guess? It reminds me of watching the AI auto-drive a car.

I'm not trying to throw anyone under the bus or anything. I watched another lap of his today and nothing stood out to me as obviously weird, I don't think the time was unobtainable, and I think eventually people topped it.

This may be a bit of a wild idea, and I'm not saying people are doing it, but is it possible someone could program something to drive a specific car around a specific course? I mean, it's kind of a fixed set of parameters right? If you were to take something like a G29 for example, yet you created a simple series of inputs to go around a course? The PS4 has no way of knowing. That doesn't seem super far fetched to me. If you knew the schematics of the circuit board on the wheel, you could just tap into the various inputs with a raspberry pi or something and replicate the actions of a human. Except, in this case, it's pretty rudimentary in that it can't maintain a smooth driving line. You just keep testing it and fine tuning the timing/points at which it brakes, accelerates, and turns.. and viola? It's more consistent than any human could be. Of course it's kind of useless for live race events with other people, but for time trials? It's botting.

Sounds like a fun computer science project to me.

Great find guys!!

Also...

Waits for half the people playing the game to suddenly think the reason they aren’t the fastest in the world is because everyon else is exploiting this bug ;)

agreed :)

The lap on Interlagos seems a bit weird yes, but nothing supernatural... the tests performed here seems serious also... I'm not 100% convinced :confused: it's like during the GTA 2015 with the "weather glitch", It was a thing sometimes, but not very consistent...

and now I'm more worried about myself being even slower that I thought than pissed about some possible cheaters... :lol:

Hopefully and thanks to you, we'll have maybe some rock solid infos from PoDi soon 👍

Nice job guys!!! ....I spoke with Derek about RA, and he spoke that is incredible times....good job guys, RA:tup:

I will upload a video soon for a Bathurst Group 4 race containing a glitched 2:10.2 lap and a genuine 2:11.1 lap from different players.

Edit: I see that the video of the player in question with the glitched car beating L-ShooterRB26 is already in this thread (albeit in a different race), nevermind.

Last edited:
Oh wow, so this is being called a bug?? I figured it was design.

I noticed this prominently in replays and figured it was controller users getting a different (easier) set of physics vs. wheel users. I was finding myself surrounded by drivers that made tons of mistakes but always made their way back to me. I just figured they were controller users. My logic was that PD realized that on average, controller users can never be as smooth and fast as wheel users. So they decided to level the playing field to retain more players.

This was a part of why I quit the game, so I'll be interested to see if and how this is addressed.

I noticed this prominently in replays and figured it was controller users getting a different (easier) set of physics vs. wheel users. I was finding myself surrounded by drivers that made tons of mistakes but always made their way back to me. I just figured they were controller users. My logic was that PD realized that on average, controller users can never be as smooth and fast as wheel users. So they decided to level the playing field to retain more players.

This was a part of why I quit the game, so I'll be interested to see if and how this is addressed.

I wouldn't get excited... doesn't look like this is very widespread, and it's unlikely your experience is linked to the bug.

I don't think I've come across anyone exploiting this in any of the races I've run.

When I saw RB26 get beaten on Bathurst by 0.5 ****ING seconds I knew something was up. I watched this guys replay (DS4, Megane, Countersteering assist, automatic) and no offense but there was no way his driving could be that much faster than L. I watched the video of him annihilating L in a race and this guy is literally 10 kmph slower per corner, doesn't even appear to know what a racing line is and is pulling away from one of the greatest GT players of all time like it's nothing. For those who know what I'm referring to, is this a bug? The reason why I'm not entirely sure is because he has been able to match L's times in other cars aswell, but seriously what are the chances (DS4 automatic, not even using the full width of the track). I also suspect this is how one of the American drivers is beating the best drivers too.

Edit: Just read the rest of the thread, can confirm I'm not crazy now. I've been in total shock for the past week thinking about this guy's times. He now has an ego, judging by the way he posts on his GT profile, he genuinely thinks he's the fastest driver now. I feel terrible though, because he's going to feel so bad when he finds out. Now I'm wondering how many people have this?

If anyone wants to message him I'll PM you his PSN.

Last edited:

As far as I can tell, the DS4 assists are completely unrelated to physics - the controller will smooth out your steering inputs, that is all.

I've also never experienced this bug in race (as far as I can tell at least), but it would be hard to know if the person with the bug qualifies P1 and just drives away from the field.

Pretty gamebreaking bug, I would definitely like some kind of message from PD about this ASAP as I'm about to start entering times into that Canadian competition and if there are people with bugged games entering without even knowing it - that would suck.

As a "fast" DS4 user, no way am I on different physics to wheel users, raced a fast DR:S wheel user 1 on 1 last night and no chance in hell did I have more grip.

The big problem with this bug is not the guys who end up top because they have it, we can spot those easily and even they must know something is up. It's the ones who may/probably do (to some unknown extent) exist running times just out of the top ten when in reality they should be seconds slower, you just don't know who has it and who doesn't in these instances.

It's like these guys still have Skid Recovery Force on when it's not even in the game. :boggled:

The big problem with this bug is not the guys who end up top because they have it, we can spot those easily and even they must know something is up. It's the ones who may/probably do (to some unknown extent) exist running times just out of the top ten when in reality they should be seconds slower, you just don't know who has it and who doesn't in these instances.

It's like these guys still have Skid Recovery Force on when it's not even in the game. :boggled:

I feel bad for the guys who unawarely have this, and are also putting in serious hours and dedication to the game to be in the top 10. I can't imagine the heartbreak and tears when they find out.

As a "fast" DS4 user, no way am I on different physics to wheel users, raced a fast DR:S wheel user 1 on 1 last night and no chance in hell did I have more grip.
That's reassuring to hear. I think the combination of events that convinced me on my stated theory were:

1. Watching a replay of gordo in an M6 at Nurb GP turn a 1:54 or so (I think) lap. I was 2+ seconds off that time using same car and frustrated that there must be some weird Gran Turismo driving line that I'm totally missing the point on, so I checked the replay. :eek: Not especially clean or smooth, no special lines. Didn't make sense.

2. I started up front in Interlagos but made a dumb mistake and found myself back mid-pack. Ended up going back and forth with some guy for the rest of the race. I'll just say that I was completely baffled at how he kept coming back to me after numerous big mistakes.

I remember in the Yamagiwa Skyline daily, the car in front of me was braking quite late. I thought the Skyline had the stopping of a bathtub but I figured maybe it was brake bias or just me driving too cautiously (which, in the Skyline, was a decent strategy as most others would overshoot). Now I'm not too sure. I'll record the replay when I have a chance so you keen investigators can analyze it.

I mean, is it just me or does that not look like more than just a grip exploit? Watching the steering input move back and forth seems too smooth and deliberate to be real. That, plus the throttle and brake is never modulated I guess? It reminds me of watching the AI auto-drive a car.

Think of it this way, if you were on Sports Soft tires, and the next guy was on RH or RM, his inputs could be jerky and he would still be just as fast or faster than you.

what was that at 1 minute in? it seems to me that the car is full throttle and steering full left and yet it gains this incredible turning ability mid turn.

Strange how the wheel was still all the way left after he came out of the hairpin and yet the car kept going straight.

what was that at 1 minute in? it seems to me that the car is full throttle and steering full left and yet it gains this incredible turning ability mid turn.

That whole lap is hilarious... the driving isn't bad per se, but the re's no way you can run that lap time running those lines... the amount of throttle he using mid corner is ridiculous... if you did that without the bug you'd just understeer off the track on the 1st corner.

It's like there's a massive magnet pulling the car on to the track.

That whole lap is hilarious... the driving isn't bad per se, but the re's no way you can run that lap time running those lines... the amount of throttle he using mid corner is ridiculous... if you did that without the bug you'd just understeer off the track on the 1st corner.

It's like there's a massive magnet pulling the car on to the track.

Similarly the guy who beat L Shooter (self claimed "king of Bathurst" on his profile (not LS the other guy)) by half a second was turning into corners from almost the middle of the track and using hardly any track width when exiting. I compared both of their laps corner by corner and he was down about 10 kph per corner, full brake and turn in and then a poor exit. There's absolutely no way that's possible against one of GT's best drivers ever. The interesting thing is this guy has the most hours out of anyone I have seen in GT Sport, and has almost 1300 sport races finished (S/S), so he clearly puts his heart and soul into this game everyday.

Similarly the guy who beat L Shooter (self claimed "king of Bathurst" on his profile (not LS the other guy)) by half a second was turning into corners from almost the middle of the track and using hardly any track width when exiting. I compared both of their laps corner by corner and he was down about 10 kph per corner, full brake and turn in and then a poor exit. There's absolutely no way that's possible against one of GT's best drivers ever. The interesting thing is this guy has the most hours out of anyone I have seen in GT Sport, and has almost 1300 sport races finished (S/S), so he clearly puts his heart and soul into this game everyday.
If he was down 10km/h per corner, then where did he had the speed to be fastest in the world? Straight?

If he was down 10km/h per corner, then where did he had the speed to be fastest in the world? Straight?

Whereas you would normally have to be gentle getting back on the throttle, he was able to just mash the throttle immediately and I'm assuming that grip gave him speed out of the exits + he was able to brake much much later in all corners.

Just another day in the neighborhood..

Weird Times.jpg

I heard an off-the-cuff rumor about these two people, but that was from one person and I don't have anything else so it's not worth mentioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back