Grip bug thread

• Thread starter GT_Alex74
  • 570 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found something that may be related.

Note the wheels on my Ferrari in the attachments above.

Those are not the wheels that are on my Ferrari. It has the wheels in the pic below (fyi, I adjusted the livery after the pic because the number was covering the decals. but the wheels are unchanged).

8296294620863661072_23.jpg

Since we know the bug is with the save on a specific profile, the wheels being different between my machine and BigDawg's is very troubling. The unique ID for those wheels in the code should be exactly the same. It seems that there is a bug in the save game that is offsetting wheel and tire values, so in the pic I posted, I have one set of wheels, but the world is apparently seeing a different set. This may also effect wheel tire size, and apparently, it is affecting tire compound.

We are focusing on the players with extra grip, but there may be players with lesser grip as well and the offset is not likely to be uniform, so someone might have 1 tire type more or less while the next user may have 2-3 tire types more or less.

Wow, that is strange.

I found something that may be related.

Note the wheels on my Ferrari in the attachments above.

Those are not the wheels that are on my Ferrari. It has the wheels in the pic below (fyi, I adjusted the livery after the pic because the number was covering the decals. but the wheels are unchanged).

8296294620863661072_23.jpg

Since we know the bug is with the save on a specific profile, the wheels being different between my machine and BigDawg's is very troubling. The unique ID for those wheels in the code should be exactly the same. It seems that there is a bug in the save game that is offsetting wheel and tire values, so in the pic I posted, I have one set of wheels, but the world is apparently seeing a different set. This may also effect wheel tire size, and apparently, it is affecting tire compound.

We are focusing on the players with extra grip, but there may be players with lesser grip as well and the offset is not likely to be uniform, so someone might have 1 tire type more or less while the next user may have 2-3 tire types more or less.

This is definitely interesting. So by using a stock livery with wheel change maybe the problem won't exist?

By the way, have you guys confirmed whether or not this affects Circuit experience? (If above is true then it will not)

HOUSTON, we have aproblem

Here is what @BigDawg_1281 saw of my Gr4 Mustang

screenshot_20180110-164713-png.705460

But this is what my Mustang SHOULD look like

7421932196781654036_0.jpg

Different wheel, and different wheel/tire size. I know I don't have the extra grip, but something is definitely off in the wheel and tire department.

This is definitely interesting. So by using a stock livery with wheel change maybe the problem won't exist?

By the way, have you guys confirmed whether or not this affects Circuit experience? (If above is true then it will not)

Let me know what you want me to test and I will go check.

BTW, BigDawg confirmed that his livery looks correct.

Different wheel, and different wheel/tire size. I know I don't have the extra grip, but something is definitely off in the wheel and tire department.

Very interesting. All the extra grip videos I've seen have been with custom liveries after all.

Dang, both cars? That is very odd. I wonder if mine would look different on your end. Did you save any replays?

Has anyone tried testing different wheels in time trial against themselves? 1nch 2inch sizes.

I'm nowhere near consistent enough to do a test.

Edit : it's a shame RA removed the bug, it would be useful to see what the garage stats for grip showed against his cars compared to the investigators.

Edit : @Voodoovaj remind me what a memory leak is again

Last edited:
Memory leak is when a program manage memory allocation poorly. It does not release memory once the information is not needed anymore. I think it’s stil a bit of a stretch to say that. I wouldn’t call setting a value for tire and not setting another one later a memory leak. Straight bug, for me. I would call memory leak creating a bunch of objects that you would only need one in a lifecycle, and not releasing them, making available memory an issue.

Edit:
You usually notice memory leaks when the application is getting slower and slower over time.

BTW, BigDawg confirmed that his livery looks correct.
Aftermarket wheels problems? Let me remind you what kind of problem we had in GT6:

nURD7QRl.jpg

Same car, different wheels. Left is stock wheel, right is aftermarket.

Here's the topic - https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...e-same-width-changes-grip-and-balance.294129/

And one of my posts there:

Just tested stock RUF RGT with custom suspension setup on Mount Panorama Circuit. On aftermarket wheels in original (0) size i managed to do 2:21:198. On standard wheels i got 2:19:926 after first lap! (suspension setup was created for car on custom wheels)... Aftermarket wheels in+2 size gave result of 2:21:268, car felt stiff and very harsh, finishing clean lap was very difficult.

I believe this may have something to do with what we are facing today in GTS.

Last edited:
Dang, both cars? That is very odd. I wonder if mine would look different on your end. Did you save any replays?

if you look close at the pic of your car below, the wheels that my game sees on your car are different than the wheels you have.

4908995132976529416_0.jpg

Memory leak is when a program manage memory allocation poorly. It does not release memory once the information is not needed anymore. I think it’s stil a bit of a stretch to say that. I wouldn’t call setting a value for tire and not setting another one later a memory leak. Straight bug, for me. I would call memory leak creating a bunch of objects that you would only need one in a lifecycle, and not releasing them, making available memory an issue.

Edit:
You usually notice memory leaks when the application is getting slower and slower over time.

True, but I have seen memory leaks overwrite other areas of memory and, when the save happens, the over written info is stored as is rather than corrected. Just like this. It may not be a memory leak, but it looks familiar to me, and that was a memory leak.

Last edited:
if you look close at the pic of your car below, the wheels that my game sees on your car are different than the wheels you have.

4908995132976529416_0.jpg

True, but I have seen memory leaks overwrite other areas of memory and, when the save happens, the over written info is stored as is rather than corrected. Just like this. It may not be a memory leak, but it looks familiar to me, and that was a memory leak.

Mine look different in your end, your wheels look correct on your end.

This wheel bug is starting to look unrelated. I am not seeing anyone's custom wheels in any replay. I can see their liveries and that their wheels are painted, but all the wheels (of everyone other than the replay owner) are stock. Can anyone confirm that I am not alone in this? I checked shared replays as well and it's the same. Replay own has custom wheels and everyone else has stock.

Last edited:
@Voodoovaj Checked a replay, photomode walked through the whole grid and it appears everyone else is on stock wheels.

Hmmm. I am fairly certain this isn't the case in real time. Strange that the wheel and tire info is not stored like the rest of the livery. Maybe it is related, maybe it isn't. I can't imagine why this info would be excluded.

That wheel bug isn't related. The player still has the "right" wheels locally, it's just a matter of the livery not loading properly to other players. And changing the wheels on a livery has been ruled out as well.

What could be interesting to check though is if infected players have tyre deformation like this :

5765196932352868880_0.jpg

Sadly, I haven't saved any of those replays so can't take pictures to verify.

Can’t wait for this bug to be squished as it’s ruining clean racing. The fat killer is also a very dirty driver and I’m tired of seeing him ruin sport mode. He pitted twice on Maggiore lol... Once on lap 5 and the second time on lap 8. It made no sense... Seen him crash and DNF for no reason and also ram people out of the way like crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder if there are multiple strength variations of this bug and also the opposite - people having less grip?

Wonder if there are multiple strength variations of this bug and also the opposite - people having less grip?

There could be, it would depend on what exactly causes it and that's not known yet. The amount gained by people with it will be different, for instance if they have not noticed that they can brake way later than most they are missing out on a lot of the advantage they could have.

It could be more widespread too, lately I've seen some odd driving from mid pack runners, more so than usual, bad lines, moving all over the place, especially when braking and so on and yet they still manage to corner and to go fast enough (about a second to second and a half off the very fast guys), now it could be because they use the pad and that's why it looks bad but it could be the glitch helping them, who knows at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back