Group 3 BoP Testing

• Thread starter Tidgney
  • 290 comments
Tyre & fuel tests next please! 💡

Some things the update has me pondering is how much does an aggressive driving style save in time over a lap and how much tyres does more conservative driving style save. This wasn't really a factor before but I can see future endurance races having more variety in terms of strategy. Mediums with conservative driving vs Hards with aggressive; are they equally fast? tyre wear?

Anyway, whatever you plan on doing I'll be sure to watch, like, subscribe and all that.

You do realise that before he even gets to anything additional he needs to re-do the entire test right? Unfortunately none of this data is accurate on the new tyre model.

Sure, it's a great thread.

BUT. I would argue that hitting the needle at blue moon is not always indicative of general racing on more traditional tracks where the BoP is completely separate from ovals.
Yup, I completely agree with all your points. But I personally like his method of testing because in a track with as little variation as possible, using AI running by itself which in itself is also very consistent and not as variable as a human, the results are very controlled. I agree that it's not the most accurate because of the track, but it is very controlled and given that he also gave out fuel consumption changes per % power increase and decrease, you can already paint a picture of what fuel/tire wear to expect that's within the ballpark of what's actually going to happen. The real beauty isn't that it's the most accurate, but it is the best baseline you can get :D
You do realise that before he even gets to anything additional he needs to re-do the entire test right? Unfortunately none of this data is accurate on the new tyre model.
Unfortunately, this is true. While I do personally wish that it gets updated, I understand if it wouldn't be. He's done more than enough work for all us GTPers :)

Hey Tidgney, just wanted to say a big thank you for all the work you're doing! Much appreciated and this made me use more Gr.3 cars!

Absolutely no worries at all, I did it for the community and I'll continue to do so :)! But with some additional things coming for the new BoP test.

Are you going to be redoing these tests now since we have a new tire model? If so, I feel so sorry for you lol. You just finished them all up and WHAM BAM, THANK YOU MA'AM! It's all different now

I am indeed going to. Ever since Germany I had a plan for when the new tyre model came in, looks like that plan will come into action :)!
Tyre & fuel tests next please! 💡

Some things the update has me pondering is how much does an aggressive driving style save in time over a lap and how much tyres does more conservative driving style save. This wasn't really a factor before but I can see future endurance races having more variety in terms of strategy. Mediums with conservative driving vs Hards with aggressive; are they equally fast? tyre wear?

Anyway, whatever you plan on doing I'll be sure to watch, like, subscribe and all that.

I am actually going to do tyres and fuel, and the way I'll do the BoP test going forward is a little different. So let me explain what's happening so you guys are in the know, also a video coming Friday explaining it a little.

One part of these tests was also to bring you the profile of the car, explain it's strength/weaknesses as well as the BoP test which is why they were called Car Profiles rather than just a BoP test. As we have done all the cars in terms of profiles (Apart from the new one) we will now look at this as if it's a new track being added to the BoP test. Each car again will end up with 15-20 laps per track (Slightly more this time to make sure there's no issues) but we're doing 1 track at a time. We'll probably start with Brands again because that was very close in terms of all the cars and will give us a good base. We will be adjusting BoP to on a per track basis to try get a good idea of what cars actually need on a per track basis as that is actually what should be looked at rather than overall. This should also help an overall BoP as well.

Risk indicator wise I've actually got an idea to make this more formula based rather than opinion based so I'll let you know once that has been finalised to!

Now I always intended for fuel and tyre wear to be done on Brands (I never told you which track I just said it will be done) so we'll do that there. The way I think I'm going to do fuel/tyre wear is to use the current fuel/tyre usage that we have for Nations Gr.3 and then we'll essentially do a 1 stint session flat out (Some cars short shift to go flat out) so we'll time that session, add up all the laps, take note of fuel after the stint and then work from there. Obviously total lap time in theory should indicate how good/bad tyres get through a stint. A car over 1 lap pace by lap 5 may be 2/3 seconds slower if it's really aggressive on it's tyres. I may change this as it's still in testing/theory but that's where my mind is at.

The Fuel/Tyre test will be done after the initial BoP test at Brands. Once we've done the first track, and also fuel/tyres we'll then move on to the next track. Video wise these will start probably in September to be honest... Why September? Well 2 reasons actually, the first is that the busiest period of work in the real world is August/September so I don't want to start it now, and then have to stop for a brief period then start again. Second reason is that the FIA season is about to kick off, by September it should be decided pretty much so I can then focus on the tests, I should be at my optimum in terms of pace and I can then focus on the tests. I do want to give you and this my full attention so that's the reason why we will just wait a little (We also have no idea how many changes may happen in August to help with the new tyre model).

I hope that explains everything :).

Honestly I'd help with it, maybe do a couple tracks or maybe the tyres and fuel to contribute. Me and Tidge have similar pace but a different style of driving so it might actually be cool to have different perspectives on the Group 3 cars :)

Feel free to do some tests Mclaren, I haven't claimed copyright over all of this as haha, more people testing the merrier and more data.

Second reason is that the FIA season is about to kick off, by September it should be decided pretty much so I can then focus on the tests,

Yeah, good shout, its all about fighting tooth and nail for those 3 UK Regional Finals spots this month :mischievous::P:lol:

Ok. So the Ford GT LM Spec II has been added to the Gr.3 category. Personally I find it's initial launch and acceleration to be too good with Polyphony's stock BoP. I know with the recent physics update you will be busy, but I can't wait to see what a professional tester like yourself thinks about it. :D

Edit: Currently testing a temporary fix for my racing series with power at 88% (-4% off Polyphony BoP).

Last edited:
Ok. So the Ford GT LM Spec II has been added to the Gr.3 category. Personally I find it's initial launch and acceleration to be too good with Polyphony's stock BoP. I know with the recent physics update you will be busy, but I can't wait to see what a professional tester like yourself thinks about it. :D

Its pretty damn overpowered

Yeah, good shout, its all about fighting tooth and nail for those 3 UK Regional Finals spots this month :mischievous::P:lol:

Pardon my french, but what the actual ****. Only 3 spots? UK has way more players than any other country in Europe. Is not fair that only 3 of you go to the final. (sorry if I'm missing something here)

Also, a paint for @Tidgney and @Windfire1010 for the amazing job with the tests (more like a barrel really, but you know what I mean)

Pardon my french, but what the actual ****. Only 3 spots? UK has way more players than any other country in Europe. Is not fair that only 3 of you go to the final. (sorry if I'm missing something here)

Also, a paint for @Tidgney and @Windfire1010 for the amazing job with the tests (more like a barrel really, but you know what I mean)

Yeah, we get 3 spots and meanwhile countries like Japan, Canada and the USA get 10 spots, it kinda sucks and everyone fighting for the finals in the UK is well aware of that.

However, what it does mean is anyone who qualifies for the UK is going to do that much better in the finals, as we had to work that much harder to get there, I expect anyone who qualifies for the UK, myself or not, to blitz through the Regional Finals and then put up a damn good fight in the World Finals, and I think we are all looking forward to the fight for the Top 3 that'll rage on through this month :D

Yeah, we get 3 spots and meanwhile countries like Japan, Canada and the USA get 10 spots, it kinda sucks and everyone fighting for the finals in the UK is well aware of that.

However, what it does mean is anyone who qualifies for the UK is going to do that much better in the finals, as we had to work that much harder to get there, I expect anyone who qualifies for the UK, myself or not, to blitz through the Regional Finals and then put up a damn good fight in the World Finals, and I think we are all looking forward to the fight for the Top 3 that'll rage on through this month :D
In the Manufacturer Final, there is no limit for location within a region. It's possible for 16 UK drivers to be in the Manufacturer Final. I believe this is partly why PD mentioned "...make sure to have a long-term strategy in place when you make your selection."

This makes me honestly sad. This is not representative of the quality in UK, looks a bit anti-british to me.

In the Manufacturer Final, there is no limit for location within a region. It's possible for 16 UK drivers to be in the Manufacturer Final. I believe this is partly why PD mentioned "...make sure to have a long-term strategy in place when you make your selection."

There was an extremely long group chat discussion between Top Brits that ensured we all picked different Manufacturers, don't worry, we've got this ;)

If season 1 and 2 are anything to go on, the EU Chevrolet competition is so dead I could qualify in my sleep :lol:

Edit: Currently testing a temporary fix for my racing series with power at 88% (-4% off Polyphony BoP).

Haha professional tester :D! I try my best where I can :)! I am hoping the new test can be sent straight to PD which is why I'm trying to get a really thorough test in place for the future with the new test :D! Even if they don't community knowledge, may help with custom championships etc. :D.

Absolutely no worries, I feel more for @Windfire1010 as he's done the test twice already for group 4, and will be doing it a 3rd time I believe? Absolutely insane effort there!

Ye the nations cup is kind of harsh to be honest, if Europe is so limited in spaces they should have had some national finals first before a region final for the ridiculously competitive countries. Live events vs sat at home are so different that something like that would make so much sense. It's why I'm glad they changed the top 24 superstars points bonus because that literally decided/could decide the top 3 of each country at round 6 if they didn't change it. I've never known the UK to be the most competitive country in any GT Competition, it's always in the top 3 but usually France and Spain take the top spots in the top x. The even crazier thing is that most of GTA racing aren't competing in it (Who are all rapido) and there's a few others that aren't doing this one but are doing others in the future which makes it even more crazy. Manufacturers is a bit more silly with group 4 being so unbalanced which makes that competition very tough. We'll see what the BoP changes recently bring to that side of it I guess. Double PUG buff though is great for me haha!

There was an extremely long group chat discussion between Top Brits that ensured we all picked different Manufacturers, don't worry, we've got this ;)
Finally, proof of the GT Sport Illuminati! :nervous::scared:

As a player that's in a different region and too slow anyway, I am really enjoying being a spectator to all this. I find it fascinating to see who understands the rules and the things they say or do not say.

Finally, proof of the GT Sport Illuminati! :nervous::scared:

As a player that's in a different region and too slow anyway, I am really enjoying being a spectator to all this. I find it fascinating to see who understands the rules and the things they say or do not say.

We've all read those rules forwards, backwards, upside down and while punting each other at Northern Isle Speedway, if anyone of us is ever vague with the rules in a post, its because we kinda expect everyone to be fully aware of them after discussing them so long :lol:

We've all read those rules forwards, backwards, upside down and while punting each other at Northern Isle Speedway, if anyone of us is ever vague with the rules in a post, its because we kinda expect everyone to be fully aware of them after discussing them so long :lol:
Not really what I meant, more the discussion about how to maximize results within the rules. ;)

Not really what I meant, more the discussion about how to maximize results within the rules. ;)

We've had many an experience bumping into people who are pouring everything they have into the championship, practicing hours and hours for the races, but they don't actually understand the format :lol:

Things like thinking someone also signed to your Manufacturer in the same region is your teammate... No they are actually your arch-nemesis... Teams signing for the same manufacturer even though you are all effectively eliminating any chance of going to the finals together... and don't even get me started on the anount of misunderstandings I've seen surrounding S rank :lol:

Like you'd think if you were super serious about making the Finals you'd take the time to read and understand the rules and format first, and it shocks me just how many guys actually haven't :P

Things like thinking someone also signed to your Manufacturer in the same region is your teammate... No they are actually your arch-nemesis... Teams signing for the same manufacturer even though you are all effectively eliminating any chance of going to the finals together... and don't even get me started on the anount of misunderstandings I've seen surrounding S rank :lol:

They are actually both. They are your teammates in the sense that you need everyone doing well to get your brand into the top sixteen, and they are your arch-nemesis because you have to beat them all to make the finals.

They are actually both. They are your teammates in the sense that you need everyone doing well to get your brand into the top sixteen, and they are your arch-nemesis because you have to beat them all to make the finals.
Actually, not quite right.

Only the points from the top player from each manufacturer in each region is used for calculating the top 16 manufacturers. So within region, people that choose the same manufacturer are not in any way your teammate.

Well, now that I am officially out without an S rating (I wouldn't have been a contender anyway), for love of the marque, I will still be fighting for Subaru and will try to be @bloodyboyblue 's wingman. If we cross each other again (I think we were together a couple times in Season 1) I will do everything in my power to help out in the race. I can't beat him on outright speed but I would like to see him in the finals, for Subaru, for GT Planet.

using AI running by itself which in itself is also very consistent and not as variable as a human,

How and where in the game is it possible to let AI run? At customized races in Arcade mode? I've read that a few times and was wondering about it.

However, what it does mean is anyone who qualifies for the UK is going to do that much better in the finals, as we had to work that much harder to get there, I expect anyone who qualifies for the UK, myself or not, to blitz through the Regional Finals and then put up a damn good fight in the World Finals, and I think we are all looking forward to the fight for the Top 3 that'll rage on through this month

Normally true, but if the event is a show event like in Nürb, it is not ensured that the better ones will be the ones in the front.

I remember for example, because @Tidgney's quali time was in 1 race lower he was doomed to pick all the bad cars for the following 5 races in the final part, so he had no chance to recover.

One more question to the final events if you don't mind, is this correct?:

Based on the the results of season 3, a certain amount of players will be invited to a regional event (1 for EMEA, 1 for Asia, 1 for America). The winners of these events will meet each other in a final world event.

The invitations are connected only to the result of season 3, there is no playroom for PD who they like or not. Because for the Nürb event they looked on the DR and other criterias which we don't/ didn't know.

Final season is gonna get hectic with the race for a spot in the manufacturer world final! Mercedes should be somewhere around 16th looking at last season's results, so here's to hoping the three pointed star makes it (kie_25, GumballCGT, and hopefully Nik (or some other lucky guy) could make for a great lineup)! :D

Nope. Only the Top player per manufacturer per regions score is counted.

EDIT: Side note: @K32 Dude, how many times to people need to layout to you that Nik's underage, and he won't get around it because those are literally the championship rules...

You're only setting yourself up for dissapointment here...

Side side note: I think @force ewerby is the EU Mercedes favourite, although Kie has a shot

Side side side note: probably time to get this thread back on topic

Last edited:
Nope. Only the Top player per manufacturer per regions score is counted.

EDIT: Side note: @K32 Dude, how many times to people need to layout to you that Nik's underage, and he won't get around it because those are literally the championship rules...

You're only setting yourself up for dissapointment here...

Side side note: I think @force ewerby is the EU Mercedes favourite, although Kie has a shot

Side side side note: probably time to get this thread back on topic

Just wishful thinking lol. How is force_ewerby the favourite? - I know he's a great driver, but I haven't noticed him frequenting the higher portion of the leaderboard too often. Not too sure but by your opinion, is he faster than kie_25?

Back on topic, I hope that Tidgney's plan for testing out the new BoP will come sooner than later (e.g. unexpected delays). It would be ok if it was all done and dusted after the finals and what not, but his schedule for getting it all finished somewhere in September could potentially give PD enough data (along with their Japanese drivers such as YAM23), to get at least 10-15 Gr.3s spot on for each track in the live events, and maybe finally roll out a BoP that makes all Gr.4s viable.

K32
How is force_ewerby the favourite? - I know he's a great driver, but I haven't noticed him frequenting the higher portion of the leaderboard too often.

I was wondering the same.

K32
Just wishful thinking lol. How is force_ewerby the favourite? - I know he's a great driver, but I haven't noticed him frequenting the higher portion of the leaderboard too often. Not too sure but by your opinion, is he faster than kie_25?

He was ahead of Kie in Season 2 until he didn't realise he could've gotten into the Top 24 race, Kie ended up getting in as the 23 Car when he was actually like 26th or 27th in line to join, Ewerby was ahead but didn't sign up to the race because he didn't think he'd get in.

That, and he destroyed me at the World Tour :lol: Clear Mercedes favourite imo

Back