Group 4 BoP Test

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I wasn't overly keen on the races last week so I thought I would test a few Group 4 cars and see if the popular cars were always the best ones.

Spreadsheet: Click Here

Dragon Trail Gardens - Kerbs and balanced track
Tokyo South Outer - Flowing 1st sector, fast 2nd sector & 3rd sector with chicane with big kerb
Big Willow - Long, fast corners
Suzuka - Balanced track with everything

For the 4 tracks I did about 5 laps on each car on each track, and then took the best sectors from that and added them together to give me the optimum.
Then I did a top speed test at Monza, taking the speed just before braking point into 1st chicane
Finally I did a tyre life test at Brands Hatch Indy(Easy track to drive consistently on). With tyre wear at 10x I put RM tyres on and then ran a 10 lap race after doing a few warm up laps. The difference between the fastest lap and the last lap gives an indication of how the tyres are wearing.
Fuel Consumption is taken from @rex1825 post at https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gran-turismo-sport-fuel-consumption-list-tire-usage.372334/

I am not using CSM, ASM or traction control.

Porsche Cayman is probably the best car at the moment, but it is the tyre life which really makes a difference. Nothing can really touch it at the moment for the combination of Speed and Endurance. FF cars do very well over 1 lap but struggle over multiple laps with tyre wear.

It is worth noting that since I only did a few laps on each car/track combination there will be an obvious bias towards the easier to drive cars. That and I am only an AS driver, so better drivers will be able to make those tricky cars (I'm looking at you Alfa 4c) fly on certain tracks where I struggle with them. It could explain why the FF cars are so high.

There have been other tests by better drivers than me, so it is worth checking them out if you haven't already:

Group 2 BoP Test by @Windfire1010 - https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/group-2-bop-test-by-windfire1010.383933/
Group 3 Bop Test by @Tidgney - https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/group-3-bop-testing.375377/
Group 4 BoP Test by @Windfire1010 - https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/group-4-bop-test-redux-by-windfire1010.379622/

I will update the Monza times over the next wee while. I stopped because the Tokyo track looked fun to learn and I was worried about accidentally cutting the chicanes too much at Monza.

Yeah the Megane Trophy is still really fast around the corners but is tragically slow in a straight line. It is basically in a little class of its own now.

Yeah the Megane Trophy is still really fast around the corners but is tragically slow in a straight line. It is basically in a little class of its own now.
So basically it ended up where it belongs :-) it shouldn't have been in Gr4, there's a reason why IRL it competes only with other Meganes. I'm very glad it's not showing up that much in daily races anymore and if it does I can usually overtake it quit easy in a Ferrari or Nissan, much more realistic this way :-p

What I've always said about the Megane Trophy was that they should've increased both weight AND power when nerfing it. I think it has a place in Group 4; the group has always been about diversity, with all types of cars and drive-trains converging together. I'd be interested in seeing what a bump to 92 power/120 weight would do to the overall balance.

Last edited:
Nice effort,
but 5 laps is just about nothing when it comes to significance. (call it statistical errors)

If we just had access to all the qualifying times instead of the top 10 (for dailies), we could say so much about this...
The "kudos" guy seems to have that data (how?, only after the week is done?)
If we had race results, too, that would be really great....

Besides that, there is the obvious personal bias.
E.g. you love the Cayman and can drive it well, while you seem to struggle with the Alfa.
My personal bias e.g. is that I can go at least 1sec faster with the Alfa over the Lexus and Nissan (Suzuka & Brands Hatch), while you list them as about equal...
Will try the Cayman asap, thanks for that hint. Wonder why nobody seems to be driving it at Suzuka this week.

The Huracan is a typical car that makes it easy to quickly achieve an above average time, just like the FF cars, but then it is pretty capped at most tracks. All not easy ;-)

EDIT: Tried the Cayman at Suzuka. What an understeering lemon. Can't even get it through the Esses.
How can you ever beat 2.09 here? Soft tire? This is not the daily race, right!?

Last edited:
5 laps isn't really enough as you say, but time is a huge constraint for this kind of testing. For 1 track you are looking at about 5 hours work, so I couldn't be bothered to do too much more than that :) The Alfa will be a bit of an outsider because of the trickiness of driving it, so I am sure that with a bit of practice it would rise up the list. I look at this list as more just a basic idea of what is worth trying out on tracks, but peoples driving styles will always favour different cars - go with what you find best and most fun is always my advice :)

All the testing was done on hard tyres apart from the Brands Hatch tyre test that was done on mediums. I am testing out the Tokyo East Outer Gr4 on softs as I think that will be what is Daily Race C next week and wanted a bit of practice.

Trophy isn’t that bad, it is painfully slow in a straight line but I would say it’s still very good at three of the four tracks you picked.

For example (I understand you only did five laps though) at Suzuka it is capable of 2.07 something ie three seconds faster than the logged time. Same goes for the 4c just look at the daily race leaderboards low 2.07s in that. 4c is awesome at DTG.

Out of the tracks you picked those two should be over the average at least top 10 probably top five.

You’re right though Cayman is probably the best all round car in GR4 at the moment.

I have updated the sheet with the Tokyo East Outer track. Unsurprisingly the Huracan is pretty quick around there, and then the FR cars are pretty good here. Don't think I can see past the Lamborghini and the Porsche for the Daily Race C with the tyre wear included, but the Aston, Corvette and jaguar might be close-ish.

Again, i have only done 4 laps for each car so this isn't exactly definitive.

Back