GT 6 pre-orders very low

• Thread starter bigspleen
  • 539 comments
That's a 400,000 difference, that's a pretty big gap. Seems very inaccurate to me.

We'll never have actual figures for GT6 until the game is released. @LMSCorvetteGT2 is saying that he doesn't doubt that the pre-order numbers are going up, BUT by how much we don't know - hence VGChartz being void.
4% is nothing when it comes to estimation and it's close enough for us to be able to talk about it with reasonable certainty and validity. In terms of pre-orders, that would mean a figure of 300,000 is only off by 12,000, not 150,000.

I have no idea if that is a typical variance or not, but in that one example it's peanuts. If VChartz' typical variance is 4% it's well worth discussing their figures IMO. I don't think it has to be accurate to the unit for us to have a conversation about it.

With the game just around the corner, pre-orders are really starting to dial in. I pre-ordered mine a month in advance at my closest EB Games. I've since checked the website as recently as of this week and it at one point, climbed to #1 in Most Anticipated game on PS3 and even Overall.

I just called my local GS. When I called a few weeks ago (let's call it a month for giggles), they only had 4, 2 of which are my son's and mine. Now they have 9. Still not enough for a midnight launch though. There is a chance will be using expanded holiday hours starting December. Probably closer to Christmas though :(

We have to take my son the therapy that morning and by time we are done with that, we should be at GS just in time for the doors to open.

As for VGChartz, what are thee sources of factual data, especially concerning preorders? This info "should" be on their site?

If they revelealed their source, you wouldn't need to visit VGChartz again. Also it could be an insider they don't want to leak, if its an unofficial channel.

Usually the firm's will get their info from distributors or market data analysts in a subscription basis.

In the UK at least companies can opt in and out if analysts numbers, for example Gartner.

4% is nothing when it comes to estimation and it's close enough for us to be able to talk about it with reasonable certainty and validity. In terms of pre-orders, that would mean a figure of 300,000 is only off by 12,000, not 150,000.

I have no idea if that is a typical variance or not, but in that one example it's peanuts. If VChartz' typical variance is 4% it's well worth discussing their figures IMO. I don't think it has to be accurate to the unit for us to have a conversation about it.

You can turn almost anything to a percentage and it looks small, look at the actual number. Nearly half a million seems like a big margin to me, especially when we're talking about pre-orders :confused:

Stop playing with the numbers and look at the actual!

You can turn almost anything to a percentage and it looks small, look at the actual number. Nearly half a million seems like a big margin to me, especially when we're talking about pre-orders :confused:

Stop playing with the numbers and look at the actual!
Half a million is a big number but it's still only off by 4/100 units which is standard deviation for any kind of poll you hear about on tv or on the radio. Elections are predicted by such polls and most often they are spot on. If it's good enough to predict a President or Mayor...it's good enough for video games right?

Sorry, I didn't see it anywhere between where that guy asked about it and here. So I thought it might be useful to him.

That's because sadly people aren't willing to read most if not all the thread they post in. Either way thanks for refreshing the minds of others.

It was not the wisest move by Sony and Polyphony Digital, to release GT6 on the PS3. I know that historically there have always been two Gran Turismo games per console generation, but the marathon-like extended development of GT5, put that cycle well and truly out of syncronisation. GT6, should have been on the PS4, a flagship title that could have shifted beau-coup consoles, instead we are forced to hang onto legacy hardware, just to play the latest iteration of this storied franchise. Secretly, I suspect that Sony may release a PS4 version of GT6, but to say so now, would jeopardise the launch of this eagerly awaited game.

It was not the wisest move by Sony and Polyphony Digital, to release GT6 on the PS3...a flagship title that could have shifted beau-coup consoles...
I think Sony explained it pretty well - they know they will shift a lot of consoles when GT goes next-gen, they also need the production flow to stay consistent and not be just a thousand yard dash for the first four months. A consistent production flow means cheaper outlay and consistency in the workforce - far better than hiring and firing as needed and running the risk of getting people that haven't the experience.

They're in this for the long-haul. PS2 was supported for ten years, with some solid games coming out well after the PS3 launched - now the same thing is going on for the PS3. There will be more Sony first=party titles coming, not just GT6.

EDIT: A bit of proof - http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/28/5...fespan-first-party-games-and-playstation-plus

Last edited:
Gold (n): the final, released version of a game as printed on the disc for sale. Final version.

Not to be confused with gold (sales number)
No, I think it actually went gold as in the first definition - there is a news article about it.

I think Sony explained it pretty well - they know they will shift a lot of consoles when GT goes next-gen, they also need the production flow to stay consistent and not be just a thousand yard dash for the first four months. A consistent production flow means cheaper outlay and consistency in the workforce - far better than hiring and firing as needed and running the risk of getting people that haven't the experience.

They're in this for the long-haul. PS2 was supported for ten years, with some solid games coming out well after the PS3 launched - now the same thing is going on for the PS3. There will be more Sony first=party titles coming, not just GT6.

EDIT: A bit of proof - http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/28/5...fespan-first-party-games-and-playstation-plus

I have faith in the big picture, I was commenting with an eye on the lack lustre launch of the PS4. Most of the games are not really next generation. I was originally buying the PS4 to play Watchdogs, but that fell through, and I am at a loss.

A next generation GT6 would have been a statement of intent. The PS3 release cycle of Gran Turismo, broke the generation, failed to live up to some expectations. In some ways, the imminent debut of this game, almost feels apologetic, released to make amends. Whilst I am not knocking this line of reasoning, I am left wondering what might have been. God willing, Gran Turismo Seven, will have a shorter development cycle.

...Gran Turismo Seven, will have a shorter development cycle.
Should be by all accounts, quicker, easier and sexier. Spring seems to be when the first wave of big titles will hit the PS4 - I will be happy though in the meantime with my War Thunder and Killzone: Shadowfall plus some interesting other games I noticed just over the horizon.

It was not the wisest move by Sony and Polyphony Digital, to release GT6 on the PS3. I know that historically there have always been two Gran Turismo games per console generation, but the marathon-like extended development of GT5, put that cycle well and truly out of syncronisation. GT6, should have been on the PS4, a flagship title that could have shifted beau-coup consoles, instead we are forced to hang onto legacy hardware, just to play the latest iteration of this storied franchise. Secretly, I suspect that Sony may release a PS4 version of GT6, but to say so now, would jeopardise the launch of this eagerly awaited game.

While I agree the PS4 would have been amazing for GT6, if you think about it, Sony will still be raking in new customers (360 owners/new) from selling 10's of thousands of PS3's over this holiday season and beyond, GT6 itself will sell extremely well.. and @MeanElf makes some great points.. it's better for Sony to get a good idea to progress a little slowly but surly with PS4 so that any refinements with the hardware can be quickly resolved by studying the faulty systems that are returned. When GT7 releases PS4's should be very reliable.

Why are we arguing about the same thing? That's what I'm trying to say. Someone told me that the "gold" status of the disc was relevant to the number of discs sold. That's false.

Completely disagree. If it had been produced for The Ps4 there would be even more whining that you have to go out and buy a PS4 at the most expensive point in its life cycle.

Plus, they have more time to get to grips with the ps4 to ensure that it's right for release. We may well have faced the prospect of standard cars panning 3 generations of console as well...

Why are we arguing about the same thing? That's what I'm trying to say. Someone told me that the "gold" status of the disc was relevant to the number of discs sold. That's false.
Sorry, I thought you were saying that the second definition was what was actually meant by going gold...gotcha now.

Back