GT Academy 2012 (NA) General Discussion

• Thread starter paskowitz
  • 3,455 comments
As for the unfair bit, that's also what I'm talking about. Give the Competitors a week before eliminations start. The elimination process SEEMS so erratic.

Well, I'll step out of line and kinda agree with you on this point, but I gotta admit my opinion is pretty biased. I think having a full week before eliminations is overkill though. Two or three days before eliminations should be fair enough for everyone. But like Matt said, without the TV show GT Academy probably wouldn't exist in America, and Spike decided to do things a little differently this year to broaden the appeal of GT Academy. There were dramatic challenges in last year's show too, but this year the challenges were a little more flashy to captivate the interests of a larger audience. I think the 30 minute format has more of an effect on the perceived legitimacy of the competition than anything else though, so ya gotta keep that in mind.

I guess time will tell whether this year's version is a success or not. I'm just hoping the 11:30pm timeslot and 30 minute format don't hurt its chances of success too much.

It already has. I stopped watching it after episode 2. Might catch 6 when it airs just to see who won. Very disappointed with spike's coverage.
👎

YouTube is the spike episode yes?

While I am still interested in the competition, spike's ultra condensed 1/2 hour format is at best, to short, and at worst, completely disrespectful to the competitors and the effort expended.

But I reckon the ad revenue wasn't there to justify a full hour or more. Damn dollar anyway.

YouTube is the spike episode yes?

While I am still interested in the competition, spike's ultra condensed 1/2 hour format is at best, to short, and at worst, completely disrespectful to the competitors and the effort expended.

But I reckon the ad revenue wasn't there to justify a full hour or more. Damn dollar anyway.

I agree the first 2 shows were horribly rushed through, but the last 2 have been much better - worth watching for sure.

Thanks for those links. May watch them tonight just to catch up before tomorrow's finale.

Ok. All caught up now. I'll making a point of watching tomorrow night's episode.

Last edited:
Eddie, that's not nice :sly: you know after all.
What a great race!

Edit: Holy schmoly is this a long commercial break.

Congrat's to the underdog, Danny Mitchell aka Steve Doherty rockin' the white spec's!

Congrat's to the underdog, Danny Mitchell aka Steve Doherty rockin' the white spec's!

Oh wow I'm not watching the TV now and I had no idea he even made it to the final race :dunce:. Congrats Steve :)👍

Congrats Steve!! And to the other finalists, good job hanging out there during the finals. Best of luck whatever you guys do! :D:tup:

Congratz Steve!

That was by far the best episode of the season. I want more now and it's over. :(

Congratulations Steven:tup:. Job well done. I had a feeling after watching the dog fight that he was going to take it. By far the best episode, very well done. Great job by all the final 16 at Silverstone.:chees:

Congrats Steven! Enjoy your new life living the dream!

I am kind of bummed out Jordan posted the results on the homepage :(

I was sure to stay away from the forums but if gtplanet is loading up on our homepage what are we supposed to do? I didn't think he would post the results until it aired everywhere. Oh well. I will watch it in an hour and see how he got it done.

Congrats Steve, and commiseration's to the rest, mostly Jett who I feel for because of the miss-shift. Almost everyone got caught out changing gears at one point in the European Academy. It cost Hugo the Portuguese guy the most in the final race, going from 2nd to 6th on the first lap. There was a lot of patience needed with those cars.

All the best to Steve, looking forward to seeing your progress!

A nice little behind the scenes video for you all courtesy of this dumb look on my face:
Uyzeel.jpg

And uhm, beware, this is raw, so lots of cursing:

yeah, I saw that dumb look on the TV and lol'd a bit. ;)

GJ Steve, really nice come-back from potential elimination to bump Nick ( :( ) and win when it counted. 👍

Congrats Steve Doherty.

Must admit I was cheering for Jett. Out of the final four he was the only one I have raced with. So lil bias from that. ;)

Congrats to all that made it. Looked like an amazing experience.

Thanks for the video Eddie.👍 It gives a lot better idea of how close they were lap by lap than the tv presentation. Jett was fast, it's a shame he didn't get a good start and let the two battle it out the whole 10 laps.

Edit: PS Blog says Steve is from Plainfield, Il a Chicago suburb which is neighbors with my hometown of Joliet, while the show said Cherry Hill, Il near Rockford. Anyone know which is correct? Maybe grew up in Plainfield and now lives in Cherry Hill?

Last edited:
Back