GT Academy 2012 (NA) General Discussion

• Thread starter paskowitz
  • 3,455 comments
Jett lost? Wow. One bad shift at the wrong time. Hope he finds himself a good ride like Sean last year.
Congrats to Doherty.

Thanks to everyone! I will do my best to make everyone proud!

During the filming of the home visits I lived in Cherry Valley. then before race camp I had to move to Plainfield.

I now have a facebook and twitter if anyone would like to follow. thanks again guys!

We waited months for that finale and I thought it was fantastic. I really thought Jett would win, he has the best fitness, was the top of the benchmarks, and qualified way ahead in pole position. But Steve drove a great race, big congrats to him. It was good to see how much fitter Steve looks now after months of training, sweet glasses too. Austin and Jett look to have great potential to build good racing careers. I hope this experience brings fortune their way. Bryan H and Steve have great futures ahead, I'm still amazed by Bryan's pole position at Indy in Grand Am this year, really shows his talent. I hope Nissan teams them up next year for an all GTA team. The success of Sean this year also shows the potential of GTA to find real talent. I hope we see even more success come from GTA, as all the finalists have the drive to get a drive. Again, big congrats to Steve. I can't wait for the next GTA, bring it on!

Last edited:
Big congratulations to Steve Doherty for winning GT Academy 2012! After being on the bubble earlier in the competition, to come back even stronger than before and win like this is amazing! Good luck in your hopefully long future in motor racing Steve! It is also worth noticing that the other guys were not nobodies either! Many guys in the group could have won the competition and I have hope they can start successful careers from now on, good luck guys!

I think the best part of GT Academy is that guys with little to no racing experience can hang with guys that have been racing for years. It just goes to show how much talent they have when competing with experienced drivers.

Best episode of the season hands down. I wish Nissan and PlayStation New Zealand/Australia would bring the competition back here in New Zealand!

Speaking of that I was hoping - no, BEGGING - on behalf of all New Zealand and Australian Gran Turismo players for our North American relatives to petition to Nissan and PlayStation in this part of the world, asking them to bring back GT Academy to New Zealand/Australia.

Here's the social networking pages/contact details of PlayStation and Nissan NZ/AU.

Nissan
Website NZ - http://www.nissan.co.nz/insidenissan/contact/
Website AU - http://www.nissan.com.au/webpages/information/Contact_us_footer.html
Facebook NZ - www.facebook.com/NissanNZ
Facebook AU - www.facebook.com/nissanaustralia
Twitter NZ - www.twitter.com/NissanNZ
Twitter AU - http://twitter.com/nissan_aus

PlayStation/Sony Computer Entertainment
Facebook NZ - www.facebook.com/PlaystationNZ
Facebook AU - www.facebook.com/PlayStationAU
Twitter NZ - www.twitter.com/PlayStationEU
Twitter AU - www.twitter.com/PlayStationAU

I've been at the throats of their PR departments over the past couple of years ever since they didn't have a 2011 Academy after the 2010 one and they seem to be listening to a few people's voices alone - which is not quite enough to bring back the full blown GT Academy - but I can only imagine what the GTPlanet community can do collectively to make them bring it back here!

Regards and all the best for the past, present and future GT Academy competitors with their racing aspirations.

Yours truly,
Luis

Well done to Steve for winning it and also to everyone who took part 👍. Made it a good show. Jett a bit unfortunate as he had the speed but is young like Sean so there should be good opportunities out there. Hopefully quite a few of you guys who didn't make it, get a good chance to race somewhere and same to the EU guys too.

A nice little behind the scenes video for you all courtesy of this dumb look on my face:
Uyzeel.jpg

And uhm, beware, this is raw, so lots of cursing:

Thank you for this!

I wanted to see the actual race and the real gaps, not what they showed on tv. Part of the TV race was cut scenes of the cars all bunched up, then they show a helicopter where there are gaps, then they show another cut scene and say "hes right up on him" and all of a sudden its another fake cutscene where everyone is bunched up again. I hate that, horrible way to cover a race. This is cool though because we can see what really happened in your video.

Great Job Guys! It was nice meeting some of you finalist in SanDiego! Espcially Jett! awsome guys Just Awsome! I hope to be a contender next year, If there is a next year.
Congrats Steve!
Jett, I'm at a loss for words. I can only imagine, but still everyone had a fair shot!

See you guys soon hopefully they do Racer X In San D again but I highly doubt that!.

~Sniperwolph.

Which challenges from the Spike TV show last year were your favorites?

I've been asked to help gather some general community feedback, so your responses could help shape and improve the 2013 season. 👍

From what I've seen of the American show, the braking into a pit box was very good, and also entertaining, one of the highlights I definitely remember 👍

I've been asked to help gather some general community feedback, so your responses could help shape and improve the 2013 season. 👍

I didn't really have a favorite challenge but could they:

Maybe make the show less "HYPE HYPE HYPE" (read as: less constant camera cutting like an MTV music video)?

More technical details (car setup, tires, tire pressure, track temp).

Maybe make the show less "HYPE HYPE HYPE" (read as: less constant camera cutting like an MTV music video)?

It played MUCH better as a 1 hour show on Speed in 2011. The 20 min speed date for 2012 was terrible.

I like the ones that have to do with just pure racing skill. Head to head time trials are alright but wheel to wheel stuff is more exciting to watch. Also challenges that have to do with car control like drifting, driving off road and other creative challenges that test driving ability. The physical stuff has it's place for the reason that you have to be fit to race but there's so many great driving challenges they can come up with. How about setup a car really loose and see who can go fastest without spinning. Have an Australian pursuit race in karts with the fastest starting last and every time you cross the line the last place guy is out. Allow the contestants in the bottom 4 or something to race for their life. I feel this should be the emphasis of the show and will find the one who's the best driver our of the bunch.

Thanks for all the comments, guys, they've been passed along. 👍

Anyone else? Last call!

well, more importantly, make karting count, 'cause it didn't for us.

Joey Alves and Jeff Lund both did extremely well in karting and it didn't seem to factor into the decision to keep them or not. They were booted off in the second round of eliminations.

I would say though, that eliminations should be even, none of this, 2 here, 1 there, 6 here.

Also, the drifting portion should be reserved for later in the week instead of the second day. More than one benchmark should be done for combined time instead of the one.

More technical details (car setup, tires, tire pressure, track temp).

I completely agree with you on how it was pretty unnecessarily hyped up. 👍

Last edited:
Back