GT: HD Concept Impressions

GT: HD (this is available for US download as well, not just Japan)

The New – So what’s new in GT: HD? Let’s start with the “traction” meter. While I haven’t exactly had what I would call extensive experience with GT: HD (I played for an hour to unlock everything) it appears to me that the throttle meter is now combined with a new display. Basically, it still measures the amount of throttle input, however, now when you begin to lose traction, a portion of the throttle meter will turn red (filling red from top to bottom). This was actually very helpful for me in learning how to better control higher powered cars (Ferrari) on the lower speed turns and push it as hard as I could. It’s definitely a great addition.

Drift mode is another welcome addition to many fans, and the experience of sharing it is even more so. The way Drift Mode works is through a meter that measures your drift from the start of a turn to the end. The downfall is that the meter does not start until a set point, not when you begin your drift. It works well, however, and the point system is represented by flags that “fill” as you drift. Maintaining a drift for a longer period of time yields more points, and getting the car dead sideways and making a great recovery even more so. I have found that if you begin a drift and lose control, but stay on the pavement, you still receive points. When you post a top 10 time or score in either mode, you can upload your replay to the PSN where other users around the world can download it.

Also new in this series is the sound. While it definitely isn’t a leap above GT4 by any means (let’s hope this changes) I can say that certain sounds and effects have changed. For instance, it seems as though they have put a much greater emphasis on things like the turbo whine when it spools. It seems to me that they are still using the same sound generating algorithm (to create different pitches at different RPM ranges) however, it is improved, though I still feel it has some ways to go. It’s also note worthy to mention that spectators will cheer and gasp as you fly by or lose control. Pretty neat.

Physics – The physics in GT: HD Concept haven’t been “completely” revamped, however, that’s not to say that they aren’t improved. They don’t feel like a huge leap from previous GT titles, but I can definitely tell that each vehicle has it’s own characteristics much more than I could tell in earlier iterations of the GT series. It also seems as though the tire physics have changed, as it feels different (I like it more) when you lose traction and break lose. I tried to break out and do some doughnuts, but I just couldn’t get it to happen, this could be due to the fact that I had my TCS set to 2, but time will tell, I’m not the most skilled player, after all.

Graphics – Wow. They have really upped the ante here. Imagine GT4, with extremely high resolution textures, amazing car reflections, and fully modeled wheels, body panels,
and interiors. Now kick it up a notch and you’ve got GT: HD concept. The lighting is superb, it’s crisp and some-what jaggy free (still here, but to a very very small extent). Things that are still looking for improvement, however, are tire marks and tire smoke. No tire marks combined with tire smoke that still seems last generation is a bit of a disappointment, but the game is made to make much improvement over the next year or two.

Update
Time Trial Mode:

o This is very basic, for the most part, and seems that is it geared to inexperienced drivers. Just to give you some food for though, I'm by no means a "good" GT player, I'm fairly well off, and do good getting my silvers and golds for license tests, but not amazing. Anyway, I digress. I got through the time Trials fairly quickly, and demolished each "Goal Time" by 10 seconds or more, and in some cases by 25+. Turning off aids is such a good thing, lol.

Upon completion of the Time attack mode, you will unlock Drift Mode, the reverse mode of the track, *and* tuned versions of each car. Unfortunately, I have the Japanese demo, so I cannot comment on how the cars are tuned, or their specs, etc etc, since I don't know Japanese. I didn't know the US version was on the store, so yea, my impressions may be a little limited until then.

Edit: Here are a few things you will need for a Hong Kong account if you wish to download from servers with "less demand".

-Make another USER on your Playstation 3...THEN GO MAKE ANOTHER PLAYSTATION STORE ID (This will make it easier to access the HK store on a frequent basis)
-You need an extra e-mail address
-You can use a Hong Kong street address, however I did not, and it worked fine for me. Google for a Hotel in Hong Kong if it gives you problems.
-*Select "HONG KONG" instead of "UNITED STATES" when you register* This is in the first few screens, it says "Select Country / Region". If you select Hong Kong, everything from there is smooth sailing :)

how are 0-60 times for the fwd cars and all the other cars? how close are they to reality? also braking? how close to reality? I know this is just a concept but it would be interesting to see how they have worked on the physics sofar. can you do donuts? :P

What time did you start the download? Did you access the USA or Hong Kong store? I can't log on to either, as the server connection times out...

Do tell, do share. Anyway to copy the Demo data and upload it?

I guess I was lucky as the DL took only 50-60 mins... started at 11PM HK time...

though I was slightly disappointed that the D-pad is not analogue anymore... digital d-pad steering... ~_~

What time did you start the download? Did you access the USA or Hong Kong store? I can't log on to either, as the server connection times out...

Do tell, do share. Anyway to copy the Demo data and upload it?

Be prepared for a wait, it seems that all 500,000 people with a PS3 is trying to download this!!LOL!

Hi everyone, I'll be more than happy to answer all of your questions as soon as I can .

As of right now, I am on vacation away from my home where my DFP is, so I'm not able to test out DFP functionality, HOWEVER, I can say that during the opening screens, there is a Logitech logo and information about it's trademarks and copywrites. This leads me to assume that it works just fine, as they don't make any other items that GT would need.

Also remember that when people played GT: HD in the Tokyo Games Show, they were using a DFP which had full support for Force Feedback at the time.

In reference to where I got my download, I downloaded from the Hong Kong store, it seems significantly less crowded. I logged on at 7am CST and got it, so hopefully it will come back up soon for you guy's. It's about a 650MB demo (which is a lot considering it's only one track and 10 cars!!!).

I will update the main post with a few steps to get a Hong Kong account so hopefully you guy's with PS3's will be able to try it out!

More updates to come, I need more play time and more notes. Catch you guy's soon!

Edit: Sorry Pako, I didn't mean to ignore your question. Unfortuantely, I have no way to tell if I can upload the demo, otherwise I would be more than happy to do that for you. In the future I will have to see if I can download it to an external device, though at this time I'm not entirely sure you can, as I think the HDD is the only option to download to for Demos from the PS STore.

Tell me more about this "Drift Mode"... Do you still have to pull of "real" drifts, or does it use some stupid drift-inducing physics like NFS?

Tell me more about this "Drift Mode"... Do you still have to pull of "real" drifts, or does it use some stupid drift-inducing physics like NFS?

basically you start getting points when you lose traction. It is flawed though, but to get max points you have to be good.

but yes the physics are the same as sim mode.

The DFP works.

GTHD1.jpg

Something for Jordan:

GTHD2.jpg

At 58%. Everything is slower in Montana. :|

Thanks for the screen shot guys!

EDIT: 35 minutes later and I'm at 74% on a 3.5mp cable connection.

Oh man....I'm speechless....

Watching the into, my wife says, "yeah that looks good, but what will it look like when you're playing?".

Guess what guys? It's looks just as good as the intro. Just stunning.

Ok, gotta drive.

later.

Crap, I didn't know it was available from the US store. At 7:00AM PCT, it was available, but I couldn't get in the store, it was too busy. So, I went to bed, and got up several hours later, and downloaded it from the Japan store. If I known it was available in the US, I wouldn't need to guess what all this Japanese writing is all about.

I just spent four hours playing this game. I didn't eat dinner, yet. Family was done hours ago. It's consumed my soul, which ain't a bad thing.

OK, the game. It's fantastic. Much better than GT4; it's more "polished." Physics of cars are so perfect, it's really surprising. Yes, you can use your wheels, if you got them. There are settings for them, and not just one kind, either.

Sounds are OK, but still nothing real. There seems to be a delay effect added to the sounds to make them sound more full than they really are, which sucks, but what ya' gonna' do?

Backgrounds are great; but they look too much like GT4, it's not that big of a difference. Trees look OK, but not much difference from GT4. But, the grass and flowers, fences and crowds look a lot better. Some people in the crowd look real when they move, but others are more robot-like with their movements, but it is a big improvement.

All the cars are fun to race, which wasn't the case in GT4. Most were boring, IMO. The cars that are the most fun are the Lancers. Especially the IX. I cannot believe this car has the fastest lap time of ALL the cars. Yes, including the Ferrari, which of course is very hard to control and spins out easily. I think the fastest lap time was 46 seconds, and the target time is 1.35! Oh, even a blind person can beat the target time times, so don't worry about them. I spun out twice with the Ferrari and still came easily under the target time.

Actually, there are 20 cars, but only 10 different models. The other ten are semi-race mod versions of the original 10.

Drift mode is actually fun, but it's still not my thang. When you enter a turn, 10 flags show up on the top left screen, and then fill up depending how long you can hold a drift. Go off course, and they go blank, again. So, you can start with an awesome drift into the corner, but if you don't finish it correctly, you lose all your points. Once you complete the turn, the flags disappear, and you're awarded points.

Setting up the cars, you can choose AT or MT, turn off ASM, 0-10 traction setting and tire selection (normal to R3).

Sadly, there's only one view, bumper, but oh well. Beggars can't be choosers.

I think that's it. Oh, you can see the record times of other drivers, which I'm sure you figured out with the 46 second time above. No more cheating.

Well, anybody got specific questions?

This may make Sony/PD change their mind about cancelling GTHD primium. This demo makes me hate the fact that it was cancled. the physics are wonderful and the graphics are wonderful but not in 1080i. They could really cash in on a full downloadable game, for say $9.99(30 cars 4-6 tracks and charge $4.99 for 1 track with 10 cars.

Drift mode is a start but could see imporvements. There are two views Solid, press select.

This may make Sony/PD change their mind about cancelling GTHD primium. This demo makes me hate the fact that it was cancled. the physics are wonderful and the graphics are wonderful but not in 1080i. They could really cash in on a full downloadable game, for say $9.99(30 cars 4-6 tracks and charge $4.99 for 1 track with 10 cars.

Drift mode is a start but could see imporvements. There are two views Solid, press select.

Two views? Cool. I had the Japanese copy so I didn' t know. Thanks.

Oh, I'm on the leaderboard for a couple of cars. One, I placed 5th, so you can download and watch my replay! How cool is that? It's the Infinity G35.

Back