GT Life Menu Design Competition

  • Thread starter Thread starter Earth
  • 163 comments
  • 23,767 views
Maybe someone could modify those to fit into GT?
 
Those are very technically beautiful, choosing a very minimalistic and simplistic design in order to make navigating as fast as possible. Not a lot of character in it however, but still pretty.
 
Those images look very contemporary with a slick clean design but are pure PC looking. Actually, my second design which I started straight after the one posted above does incorporate a circular options hub.
It is significantly more minimalistic than my initial piece and, all going well, could be ready by Sunday evening.
 
To be honest, I miss the map menu in Gt4. While it was somewhat impersice and slow, it has the "Gran Turismo" feeling to it.
 
Here is my second GT6 GT Life screen design. As you can see the initial options available have been further simplified in order to increase the ease of viewing the customisable background. The sphere quickly rotates when a different option is selected and will change colour to highlight this.

UkYSE.jpg


Photo Travel now looks after both photos and videos and has the option to export directly to Vita and XMB while small files can be uploaded to YouTube. From Gallery you have the option to set what is displayed on your Video Wall. Click here.

Showrooms is now the location of all vehicle purchasing which was previewed in a previous piece I made. Click here.

GT auto will handle all car modification and personalisation options which include Tuning, Servicing, Parts Upgrade and the new Livery Studio. It is here you will go to search community liveries and create and upload your own creations. You may sell liveries and set conditions such as setting as a Limited Edition download limit and charge a higher Cr list price.

Pressing [SELECT] brings you to Personalise which is where you modify both your A-Spec and B-Spec Profiles, background and Calender settings. Calender is a new addition where we can arrange club races and practice sessions for example and will be updated by Polyphony Digital with any update or DLC dates. The calender icon is shown to highlight a player-set reminder for an event.
 
Last edited:

This is nearly perfect but....

The background ought to be some type of garage scene. Then it would be the best imagined menu, for me at least.

Still, without that, it's the best so far
 

Just to put in my two cents, I'm not a huge fan of that interface.

First of all, that circular menu. Arranging options like that has always come off as a bad idea to me, at least on non-touch screen devices. It's unnecessarily complicated. Considering you're still pushing left or right on your d-pad or analog stick, where does the functionality of the wheel come into play? It'd be one thing if you were moving your finger around it like a rotary dial or an iPod but, ah, screw it - I'm just nitpicking.

I guess the bigger issue I have with it is that it overloads the user with information, and everything had to be scaled down to microscopic font just so it all fit on the screen. It's certainly not attractive either, the designers just throw all the data at you, unorganized. Polyphony's interfaces (excluding GT Life in GT5) have always been as pleasing to look at as they were simple to use. This - with its 18 shades of green and lines and lines of text - is boring.

Again, just my opinion :)
 
This is nearly perfect but....

The background ought to be some type of garage scene. Then it would be the best imagined menu, for me at least.

Still, without that, it's the best so far

Thank you, how about now? :cheers:

GT6MENU-1.jpg
 
Thank you, how about now? :cheers:

GT6MENU-1.jpg

This is awesome. I like how it's been switched to a garage type background. But even if it had the changing menu background that GT5 already has (Cut screens), it would work perfectly! 👍
 
Wow guys I been looking at a lot of these and there are so many awesome ones.
 
I like it, but I don't want it to scroll. I would rather use the joy stick as a cursor.
 
I like it, but I don't want it to scroll. I would rather use the joy stick as a cursor.

What about wheel owners, particularly G25/G27.

Even with the joystick you'll get annoyed by that after some days and will prefer the traditional menu system instead. It's effortless, faster, simpler and sexier if done properly.
 
Love it, shawtyoner! Hopefully, PD is taking notice.
 
Just to put in my two cents, I'm not a huge fan of that interface.

Again, just my opinion :)
Same here, but I didn't want to say that. :scared:
 
Wow guys thank you very much for the positive feedback, I wish I had more time, I put that together at work real quick.
 
Wow guys thank you very much for the positive feedback, I wish I had more time, I put that together at work real quick.
The feedback you received is well deserved. Your screen is wonderfully clean and easy to use. I preferred it with the original image though as the garage scene makes it look slightly warped.
👍

Here is my latest GT Life screen for GT6. The image hosting site has dropped the quality slightly so it is a little grainy - The tabs for Garage, Showrooms etc are designed to resemble lacquered carbon fibre but it may not come across in the image.

lLr00.jpg

Updated with new font.
 
Last edited:
Looks nice but I have to be honest, I hate that block font you keep using.
 
Looks nice but I have to be honest, I hate that block font you keep using.

It is important to be honest in this thread. I will change it to a more conventional font to see what you think.
 
Here is a quick concept I tossed together. The icons are just really quick stuff I grabbed from the internet so some of them look a bit cheap...

The concept is a chequered flag grid of icons. The active icon is coloured and expands with the icon name. The top row of icons are driving related, "A-spec", "B-spec", "C-spec" (curious?), "Online", "Time trial/Test Track", "Free run/Free roam/Whatever..."
The second row is "Car dealership", "Garage/Home" (which contains all tuning, maintenance and customization options - no more menu hopping!), "Licence/Special Events/GT Academy", "Photo travel", "Social stuff", "Options"

gt_menu_concept__1__by_eran0004-d5f96tg.jpg


gt_menu_concept__2__by_eran0004-d5f96z0.jpg


The square grid makes it easy to navigate with the arrows: up = up, down = down, left = left, right = right. Why make it any more complicated than that?

I've probably missed a few important features, but this is the basic concept.

Edit: I guess the background picture could change accordingly with the icon that's selected. So for "Garage" the background could be a garage scenery etc.
 
Last edited:
Here is a quick concept I tossed together. The icons are just really quick stuff I grabbed from the internet so some of them look a bit cheap...

The concept is a chequered flag grid of icons. The active icon is coloured and expands with the icon name. The top row of icons are driving related, "A-spec", "B-spec", "C-spec" (curious?), "Online", "Time trial/Test Track", "Free run/Free roam/Whatever..."
The second row is "Car dealership", "Garage/Home" (which contains all tuning, maintenance and customization options - no more menu hopping!), "Licence/Special Events/GT Academy", "Photo travel", "Social stuff", "Options"
[image]
[image]
The square grid makes it easy to navigate with the arrows: up = up, down = down, left = left, right = right. Why make it any more complicated than that?

I've probably missed a few important features, but this is the basic concept.

Edit: I guess the background picture could change accordingly with the icon that's selected. So for "Garage" the background could be a garage scenery etc.

I love this design. I hate bouncing all over the place trying to navigate through
GT5’s menu.
I especially like the idea of C-spec.
That is if you are using the C-spec as an online experience level. There are a lot of lousy level 40 A-spec drivers online. In that case you really wouldn’t need the Online icon to the right of the C-spec icon. The C-spec icon could take you directly to the online lobby list just as the A-spec and B-spec icons take you to those event lists.
 
I love this design. I hate bouncing all over the place trying to navigate through
GT5’s menu.
I especially like the idea of C-spec.
That is if you are using the C-spec as an online experience level. There are a lot of lousy level 40 A-spec drivers online. In that case you really wouldn’t need the Online icon to the right of the C-spec icon. The C-spec icon could take you directly to the online lobby list just as the A-spec and B-spec icons take you to those event lists.

I don't have a clear concept of what c-spec is. One idea could be that it's sort of like a "team" mode, where you create a racing team. You can set a team name, invite online friends / b-spec drivers (both your and your friends') etc. Perhaps even create your own livery and racing suit? Instead of having one race here and one race there, C-spec could be a more epic experience and be based on seasons. Like, in one season there's 10 or 20 races in a specific league. Each team could have 1-3 cars on the grid. Instead of levelling system there could be licence requirements and different costs of racing in different leagues. For instance, running an F1 team is a lot more expensive than a Camaro Cup team. The more success you have on the track, the easier it is for you to get sponsors... Don't know, just brainstorming...

Nice. It is quite similar to my first design on the previous page...

Yep. I'm using pictograms though, to reduce the clutter. Photos are nice to look at, but when you're searching for information (which is basically what you're doing when you're using a menu) it's kind of hard to analyse photos and it takes a lot more time than looking at a pictogram. Pictograms also allows the use of contrast colours, so it's easy to see which object is active and which is not.


I put together a little video of the menu concept I made. It's photoshop/windows movie maker so don't expect anything too flashy...



I'll give a brief explanation for each of the icons as well.

1. A-spec - It's A-spec, nothing more nothing less. Except that seasonal events are added here as well, so no more separate icon for those.
2. B-spec - same. B-spec seasonals are here too.
3. C-spec - some new innovative feature. Perhaps something like what I described above.
4. Online - Online races. You can select private lobbies, open lobbies, friend's lobbies etc. All gathered under one and the same icon.
5. Test run - Time trials and test track features gathered under the same icon. Basically they're both about testing the car, so no reason to separate them.
6. Free run - For cruising, chilling, free roam perhaps?
7. Market. New car dealership, used car dealership (I'm imagining that all cars are premium, so used cars are basically premium cars which has had previous owners. Cheaper, might be good entry level cars, but they're also more used and might need some overhauling...), Auction house where gamers can sell their cars to each other. It's pink because in Grease they are "racing for pinks" (the pink papers which tells the ownership of the car).
8. Garage. The garage is where you store your cars. It's also where you tune them, overhaul them, paint them etc. Garage is also like a "home" where you have a tab for editing personal info, all your replays and photos are stored here, your trophies, etc...
9. Academy. Driving schools, licence tests, GT Academy, Special events - all gathered under Academy. Basically, this is where you go to learn more about driving techniques and improving your skills.
10. Photo travel. Pretty much what it says.
11. Club. Here are all your online friends. The speechbubble shows how many new messages/gifts/invitations you've got.
12. Options. All options for the game.

The bar on top of the screen with the red and blue GT logo (it's actually a detail from the GT symbol) changes colour depending on where you go from the Life menu. So for instance when you enter Garage, which is yellow and black, the top bar turns into those colours.

Update: Took the pictures over to my PS3 to see what it looks like on the big screen. I'm pretty impressed with the result :)

dsc03251l.jpg

dsc03252x.jpg

dsc03253s.jpg
 
Last edited:
Things are starting to like the main menu, as oppose to a "GT World" menu. I know we're going for simplicity and ease of navigation, but when it gets too simple, it doesn't feel right for some reason. That's just my opinion though.
 
Things are starting to like the main menu, as oppose to a "GT World" menu. I know we're going for simplicity and ease of navigation, but when it gets too simple, it doesn't feel right for some reason. That's just my opinion though.

Well, personally I prefer the GT home menu to the GT Life menu as it is now. You have the animations in the background that looks really nice and the menu is simple and easy to navigate. Less is more :)
 
Yeah, what I meant is just that; the GT Life Menu you guys are designing are starting to look like the main menu, not so much my preference or what I like better. My preference would also go to GT's main menu rather than GT's World menu. Then again, it just feels different. Maybe I still feel the nostalgic of the world map from GT1-GT4.
 
Yeah, what I meant is just that; the GT Life Menu you guys are designing are starting to look like the main menu, not so much my preference or what I like better. My preference would also go to GT's main menu rather than GT's World menu. Then again, it just feels different. Maybe I still feel the nostalgic of the world map from GT1-GT4.

Some of the animations in the background could be a world map I suppose.

Or maybe there can be no menu at all, just a city that you drive around in, and if you want to go to the garage, you drive to the garage. If you want to go to a dealership, you drive to the dealership, etc :) It's a bit tricky to design, and I guess it would be a pain to drive for ten minutes each time you just want to buy some small detail to your car... but it would be an interesting approach :) Menu + free roam in one!
 
That would be pretty sweet in my opinion. The driving part shouldn't be a problem. Free roam driving games nowadays, you can just pop up the world map, and transport there instantly. Driving would just be an option of pleasure.

Dreams aside, designs like yours and others can definitely work, and in my opinion already better in terms of vision, especially execution. I can't wait to see how you guys compare with PD's own design.
 
​


So, here's my take...
Ended up not "feeling" like GT at all, but maybe that's not such a bad thing.

I see you guys are opting for some kind of selectable grid, I kind of agree that the grid thing might be the best option for a console.

but anyway... the left column on "my" menu is basically a list with every option. From Garage to photo travel.
Selecting that option a new board appears on the right side (which would be a map for the racing events).
That's pretty much it. I would also change this map, but it was the best I could get.
 
​


So, here's my take...
Ended up not "feeling" like GT at all, but maybe that's not such a bad thing.

I see you guys are opting for some kind of selectable grid, I kind of agree that the grid thing might be the best option for a console.

but anyway... the left column on "my" menu is basically a list with every option. From Garage to photo travel.
Selecting that option a new board appears on the right side (which would be a map for the racing events).
That's pretty much it. I would also change this map, but it was the best I could get.

Spe, spe, SPEECHLESS! O_O Looks sick man, awesome work! 👍
 
Back